San José Development News - Page 1241 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2020, 01:10 AM   #24801
LG2DTSJ

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyjoe View Post
Looks like the Aura apartments they built on Balbach behind the convention center is renting for $4,675 starting for 2 bedrooms.

Let's see, given the rule-of-thumb that you shouldn't spend more than 1/3rd of your income on housing then this means need to make around $170k/year to comfortably afford living in this super fine location.

St. James apartments across homeless park renting studios for $2,800 starting. 1/3rd rule means you need to be making over $100k to make sense. Good luck kids. Forget about teachers living downtown.
I moved here a few years ago from a nearby community. Yes, prices are high, but people need to do it differently. It's definitely hard to live in this area financially, but I wonder why so many people try to do it to no avail. It's called St. James park. I live right next to it and see the goings on daily. It's a shame that we just accept it as it is. Downtown deserves much better! Oh, and I'm a teacher...

aphelion2100, el_Fernando liked this post
LG2DTSJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2020, 01:54 AM   #24802
flubuk

Likes (Received): 504

Furries beat down an abusive boyfriend. Way to go, San Jose!

https://www.mercurynews.com/san-jose-furries-pulled-assaulter-out-of-vehicle-sat-on-him

JoshuaSantos, gillynova liked this post
flubuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 04:56 PM   #24803
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 2205

I think a big time annual event that DTSJ economic development officials should be pushing for is the annual NFL Draft that is now an annual event traveling each year to a different NFL city. Although the 49ers are the San Francisco 49ers, the team & their stadium is in the South Bay & not in S.F. which leads me to believe that the NFL Draft could legitimately be held in DTSJ. The following article shows why having the NFL Draft could be the single biggest event in San Jose history if our city were able to win the bid to attract this massive event.

https://www.visitmusiccity.com/media...irect-spending

Quote:
The NFL Draft on April 25-27, 2019 in Nashville generated a record $133 million in direct spending, a 79 percent increase over the $74 million at the 2018 Dallas event, the NFL and Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp announced today. The economic impact was another record-breaker at $224 million, also a 79 percent increase over the $125 million in 2018.

The NFL Draft was broadcast around the world in a record 115 countries. As previously announced, the three-day event drew a record crowd of 600,000 and a record 47.5 million in television viewership.
Compare this 3 day event in Nashville, TN. that generated $133 milion in direct spending to San Jose's city owned facilities (convention center, California Theatre, Center for the Performing Arts, Montgomery Theater, San Jose Civic, and South Hall) generated $130 million for the entire year for the 2018 fiscal year (as per Team San Jose's 2018 Annual Report).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArNYQJUs4c

Look at the first minute or so of this video to see the massive crowds attending the 2019 NFL Draft--incredible.

Definitely would be worth San Jose's efforts if we could secure this event.
Many other NFL cities are already bidding for the 3-day draft party to come to their city to take advantage of the economic windfall generated by this incredibly popular event.

CTA25, jawz liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 05:51 PM   #24804
gillynova

Likes (Received): 1183

Silvery Towers:

-----

SJSU Science Building

-----
Miro Towers:

From SJSU Campus:

-----

Bank of Italy

-----

Former JC Penny Building

-----

Modera San Pedro

gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 12:26 AM   #24805
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1847

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
I think a big time annual event that DTSJ economic development officials should be pushing for is the annual NFL Draft that is now an annual event traveling each year to a different NFL city. Although the 49ers are the San Francisco 49ers, the team & their stadium is in the South Bay & not in S.F. which leads me to believe that the NFL Draft could legitimately be held in DTSJ. The following article shows why having the NFL Draft could be the single biggest event in San Jose history if our city were able to win the bid to attract this massive event.

https://www.visitmusiccity.com/media...irect-spending

Compare this 3 day event in Nashville, TN. that generated $133 milion in direct spending to San Jose's city owned facilities (convention center, California Theatre, Center for the Performing Arts, Montgomery Theater, San Jose Civic, and South Hall) generated $130 million for the entire year for the 2018 fiscal year (as per Team San Jose's 2018 Annual Report).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArNYQJUs4c

Look at the first minute or so of this video to see the massive crowds attending the 2019 NFL Draft--incredible.

Definitely would be worth San Jose's efforts if we could secure this event.
Many other NFL cities are already bidding for the 3-day draft party to come to their city to take advantage of the economic windfall generated by this incredibly popular event.
check out what the nfl plan is for vegas this year. there's no way we could come close to matching anything on that scale. san jose doesn't even have enough hotel rooms for staff, let alone visitors to the event. it's a nice thought though, maybe someday.
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 01:40 AM   #24806
gillynova

I'm sorry but I definitely CANNOT see this happening in San Jose. We DEFINITELY NEED a ton of more hotel rooms around the area.

Apparently Nashville had 600k people in the streets that weekend... San Jose cannot hold that many people in downtown in my opinion.

If it EVER does come to the Bay Area, it will definitely be in San Francisco... most likely holding the event on Market Street or on Mission Bay.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 04:29 AM   #24807
Discophil

Likes (Received): 26

Thanks Gillynova for the Pics. I had to move to more affordable So-Cal from my hometown SJ so I appreciate the updates.

gillynova liked this post
Discophil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:18 PM   #24808
jawz

Likes (Received): 256

Sharks Ice expansion

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...p-real-estate/

and a few more photos i captured while there.

gillynova, CAAndrew, Dirk_Birkin liked this post
jawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:19 PM   #24809
gillynova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discophil View Post
Thanks Gillynova for the Pics. I had to move to more affordable So-Cal from my hometown SJ so I appreciate the updates.
I appreciate the kind words! Comments like these always motivate me to keep going out and updating you guys/girls on projects around the area. I try to take pictures whenever I'm out so that it will spark a conversation here or let people know the status of each project.

Cheers!
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:30 PM   #24810
jawz

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I appreciate the kind words! Comments like these always motivate me to keep going out and updating you guys/girls on projects around the area. I try to take pictures whenever I'm out so that it will spark a conversation here or let people know the status of each project.

Cheers!
I love and appreciate all the photos people contribute! keep them coming please.

gillynova, Discophil liked this post
jawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:31 PM   #24811
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 461

Please keep posting up to date pictures for us out of town.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 08:00 PM   #24812
gillynova

I actually really liked going to Barracuda games in SAP Center. I liked that I could park on the street for free, go to a local bar for some drinks and have the ability to catch a hockey game for cheap in the lower level section of SAP. But a more intimate and hopefully sold out games in the new arena would be better

I hope that the games are still about $12 to attend.

Also, do you guys think some concerts could be hosted here or do you think it's mainly for AHL games?
Old January 22nd, 2020, 08:28 PM   #24813
CAAndrew

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz View Post
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...p-real-estate/

and a few more photos i captured while there.

I can tell you there's gonna be a lot of angry players--from adult league, Jr. Sharks, tournaments--that are gonna have a fit having to drag their equipment across Alma. That'd already be a long walk to the South. So it's gonna be a great time after an 11:00 game on the 6th sheet. But good for Jon, Richard, and the rest of the team for pulling this together after 11ish years of work.

This is going to be a BFD for hotels and for downtown during major tourny weekends (MLK, Silver Sticks, any national championships).
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 08:33 PM   #24814
CAAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post

Also, do you guys think some concerts could be hosted here or do you think it's mainly for AHL games?
I mean, it'll have a concrete floor under the sheet and trusses that could support audio equipment. Mostly come down to schedules and money. Current 4 sheets are almost always fully booked out.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 09:08 PM   #24815
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin>
check out what the nfl plan is for vegas this year. there's no way we could come close to matching anything on that scale. san jose doesn't even have enough hotel rooms for staff, let alone visitors to the event. it's a nice thought though, maybe someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova>
I'm sorry but I definitely CANNOT see this happening in San Jose. We DEFINITELY NEED a ton of more hotel rooms around the area.

Apparently Nashville had 600k people in the streets that weekend... San Jose cannot hold that many people in downtown in my opinion.

If it EVER does come to the Bay Area, it will definitely be in San Francisco... most likely holding the event on Market Street or on Mission Bay.

I have to respectfully disagree with both of you guys regarding what is possible in terms of what San Jose is capable of.

The 2019 NFL Draft event in Nashville was indeed a very large & extremely successful event that was attended by an estimated 600K people spread out over 3 days or an average of about 200K per day.

Remember that DTSJ hosted the NHL All-Stars event & the NCAA National College Championships events last year without a hitch. In addition, our convention center annually hosts the Silicon Valley International Auto Show that draws well over 100k people every year. Also, DTSJ hosted many events here during Superbowl 50 in 2015 with no problems. Granted, none of these events had extremely large crowds, but it showcased the fact that DTSJ is more than capable of handling moderate sized crowds. Also, remember, the San Jose Grand Prix racing events here in DTSJ that we once hosted. In 2005 the 3-day event had an estimated 150,000 attendees.

We have more than enough hotel rooms available in the area when you take into account all of S.C. County, San Mateo County, Southern Alameda County cities. For example, during the NFC Championship game here this past week, the Green Bay Packers stayed at the luxury Hotel Nia in Menlo Park in San Mateo County. The hotels within this 3-county area are all within a reasonably close distant to DTSJ making it convenient enough for any out of town visitors.

The 2019 NFL Draft event in Nashville was atypical for this event in terms of attendance when looking back at previous years. For example, the draft event in Dallas in 2018 had an overall attendance of about 200,000 plus over the 3-day event and was considered one of the most successful for this event at that point.

The attendance figures for the Nashville event may have been an anomaly for the following reasons: Due to the fact that Nashville is the epicenter for country music fans worldwide with millions of visitors annually showing up in Nashville to attend live shows, this may have contributed partly to the unusually high attendance figures. That is, I think that there may have been many music fans in Nashville that may have decided to also take in the NFL Draft event while they were already there which thereby boosted the overall massive attendance for the NFL Draft event.

Here are two other reasons why San Jose is highly capable of handling an NFL Draft event: Can you say Cleveland & Kansas City?

Cleveland a city of only about 385,000 people ranked as the 52nd largest city in America & Kansas City with a population of less than 500,000 ranked as the 37th largest city in the U.S. are hosting future NFL Draft events in 2021 & 2023. Does anyone really believe that both of these cities have that much of an edge over San Jose, the 10th largest city in the U.S? Are the leaders of Kansas City & Cleveland dillusional? I don't think so. They just think big and have a can do attitude that seems to be missing in some of our politiacal leaders here in San Jose.

Fortunately, we have investor/developers like Jay Paul, KT Urban, Gary Dillabough, Erik Hayden, Sobrato, & Google who have enough faith in DTSJ to invest $billions because they see this city as a great city to invest in for the long term. The point being that you guys shouldn't be underestimating what San Jose is capable of in the here and now. Certainly the aforementioned investor/developers aren't.

CTA25, JoshuaSantos liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 09:36 PM   #24816
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 461

Miro Update: curtain wall installation begins today
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 12:36 AM   #24817
gillynova

Quote:

I have to respectfully disagree with both of you guys regarding what is possible in terms of what San Jose is capable of.

The 2019 NFL Draft event in Nashville was indeed a very large & extremely successful event that was attended by an estimated 600K people spread out over 3 days or an average of about 200K per day.

Remember that DTSJ hosted the NHL All-Stars event & the NCAA National College Championships events last year without a hitch.
Agreed, but the scale of those events aren't as big as the NFL, which is the BIGGEST sport in America.

The NCAA National College Championship had free concerts in DTSJ. The capacity for our venues were only ~10k and we were only able to draw 5k people to those.

The free concerts that were held in the Bay Area when we hosted the Super Bowl were in San Francisco (Alicia Keys, One Republic, The Band Perry). There was even a big rave event at RingCentral Coliseum which I'm sure held roughly 30k attendees.

Source:
https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...81719795721388

Quote:
Silicon Valley International Auto Show that draws well over 100k people every year...

Also, remember, the San Jose Grand Prix racing events here in DTSJ that we once hosted. In 2005 the 3-day event had an estimated 150,000 attendees.
That's 33k/day for the Silicon Valley International Auto Show and 50k/day for the SJ Grand Prix. Very different than 200k/day to what Nashville had to encounter.

Quote:

We have more than enough hotel rooms available in the area when you take into account all of S.C. County, San Mateo County, Southern Alameda County cities. For example, during the NFC Championship game here this past week, the Green Bay Packers stayed at the luxury Hotel Nia in Menlo Park in San Mateo County. The hotels within this 3-county area are all within a reasonably close distant to DTSJ making it convenient enough for any out of town visitors.
I agree but this is a team rather than fans who stayed at a hotel that was further down from the stadium. They probably stayed there and used Stanford's stadium to practice + they had team charter buses to bring them to Levi's while fans have to find a way to get to DTSJ from their hotels.

I'm a huge Sacramento Kings fan. We would LOVE for Sacramento to host an all-star game there but the NBA has mentioned that the city lacks hotel rooms in the downtown core to host one. Sure they could go to hotels outside of the area like Roseville and Folsom but they are too far from the main event. I'm sure this is similar to what will happen in San Jose vs. San Francisco.

Quote:

The 2019 NFL Draft event in Nashville was atypical for this event in terms of attendance when looking back at previous years. For example, the draft event in Dallas in 2018 had an overall attendance of about 200,000 plus over the 3-day event and was considered one of the most successful for this event at that point.

The attendance figures for the Nashville event may have been an anomaly for the following reasons: Due to the fact that Nashville is the epicenter for country music fans worldwide with millions of visitors annually showing up in Nashville to attend live shows, this may have contributed partly to the unusually high attendance figures. That is, I think that there may have been many music fans in Nashville that may have decided to also take in the NFL Draft event while they were already there which thereby boosted the overall massive attendance for the NFL Draft event.
Agreed, but this looks to be a growing tradition that will continue as the years go on. They only started making this as a free outdoor event since 2015. I 100% fully agree with your 2nd paragraph.

Quote:
Here are two other reasons why San Jose is highly capable of handling an NFL Draft event: Can you say Cleveland & Kansas City?

Cleveland a city of only about 385,000 people ranked as the 52nd largest city in America & Kansas City with a population of less than 500,000 ranked as the 37th largest city in the U.S. are hosting future NFL Draft events in 2021 & 2023. Does anyone really believe that both of these cities have that much of an edge over San Jose, the 10th largest city in the U.S? Are the leaders of Kansas City & Cleveland disillusion? I don't think so. They just think big and have a can do attitude that seems to be missing in some of our political leaders here in San Jose.
Cleveland's metro population: 2,057,009
Kansas City's metro population: 2,143,651
San Jose's Metro population: 1,998,463
San Francisco (Includes Oakland) Metro population: 4,729,484

Cleveland's CSA: 3,599,264
Kansas City's CSA: 2,487,053
Bay Area's CSA: 9,666,055

Cleveland and Kansas City's fan base is more closer together rather than the 49ers where we are all around the region (Stockton, Sacramento, Reno, Santa Rosa, San Luis Obispo, etc.)

If it EVER comes to the Bay Area then I believe it will be hosted by the namesake of the 49ers in San Francisco. If they can SOMEHOW bring it to San Jose then I would be ecstatic as hell but to me it looks like it will not happen.
---
Go Niners!
Old January 23rd, 2020, 02:54 AM   #24818
flubuk

Likes (Received): 504

Some shots today:

Miro from city hall - sky is disappearing!

Happened to walk past when the first pane of glass was going in (DP on the scoop, though):

On 7th and St. John Miro is starting to pop above the 2 story Victorians, changing this skyline for the first time in forever.

And saw the window washer rigs going up and down on Silvery/188. Not sure the purpose right now. Hardhats in them.

Old January 23rd, 2020, 08:47 AM   #24819
siliconvalleyjoe

Likes (Received): 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAndrew View Post
I can tell you there's gonna be a lot of angry players--from adult league, Jr. Sharks, tournaments--that are gonna have a fit having to drag their equipment across Alma. That'd already be a long walk to the South. So it's gonna be a great time after an 11:00 game on the 6th sheet. But good for Jon, Richard, and the rest of the team for pulling this together after 11ish years of work.

This is going to be a BFD for hotels and for downtown during major tourny weekends (MLK, Silver Sticks, any national championships).
If they could buy the abandoned railroad land right next to it then you could probably get enough parking for all the rinks except game days for Barracuda or Giants.

Of course, it looks like the improvements the Giants (remember Stand up for San Jose!) promised for Municipal Stadium in case the A's were locked out of SJ was a bucket of lies. I've heard nothing about them moving to the Fairgrounds site. Cindy Chavez is a loser.

CAAndrew liked this post
siliconvalleyjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 06:07 PM   #24820
CAAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyjoe View Post
If they could buy the abandoned railroad land right next to it then you could probably get enough parking for all the rinks except game days for Barracuda or Giants.

Of course, it looks like the improvements the Giants (remember Stand up for San Jose!) promised for Municipal Stadium in case the A's were locked out of SJ was a bucket of lies. I've heard nothing about them moving to the Fairgrounds site. Cindy Chavez is a loser.
Oh sure.

I was still holding out hope for the rails-to-trails proposal I saw the city put out a few years ago.

flubuk liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé