Seattle Center Arena Redevelopment - Page 177 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2019, 09:37 PM   #3521
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
It also limited the scope of the arena expansion. Seems like a lot of trouble just to save an ugly roof.
NBA and NHL are trending towards smaller arenas (New Key will have a higher basketball capacity than 4 of the last 5 areas built for NBA teams, and 3 of the last 5 built or being built for NHL teams), so "limiting the scope of expansion" is sort of irrelevant. It got to 17.4k seats. That's plenty for teams to succeed.

And again, What's so ugly about it? I think it's kinda cool. I'm hardly a preservationist, but this is a case where I'm glad they kept the old design.

jam5, Seattle206, EeePC liked this post
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2019, 08:27 PM   #3522
Seattle206

Likes (Received): 230

Attendance, while always important, isn't the main revenue source for owners. The focus on the recently-built sports arenas in North America are suites, club seats, licensing merchandise and corporate sponsorship - $$.

The newest arena designs tend to offer a more "intimate" fan experience, with more steeply raked seating bowls and "no bad seats."
Seattle206 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #3523
c33f
(none)

Likes (Received): 10399

11/28/2019 Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
There are multiple piles of dirt to remove under and around the floating roof.

View towards Downtown.

c33f no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 06:17 AM   #3524
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 6263

Personally I love the look of the arena roof, since it fits well with the architecture of the Center grounds. Since the most iconic view of the city includes that roof, it's better than letting some generic arena design get its say on such a stage.

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog

Seasun, geoffloftus, Seattle206, cadre liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 07:34 AM   #3525
AKH

Likes (Received): 195

Maybe once the entire arena is completed, the roof is cleaned, painted and new signage is installed, I will come around. At this point, I don't care for it or get it. Overall, I am thrilled we are getting a new arena so it's not the end of the world. Go NHL and hopefully NBA in the somewhat near future!

DawgFan liked this post
AKH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 07:42 AM   #3526
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6951

Really, why is the Key Bank sign still there? They haven’t paid anything to the city for years.

AKH, cadre, DawgFan liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 09:40 PM   #3527
Seattle206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Really, why is the Key Bank sign still there? They haven’t paid anything to the city for years.
Because, up until the project, it cost more to remove it than leave it. Probably as simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post

tiffany98101 liked this post
Old December 31st, 2019, 12:48 AM   #3528
BoulderGrad

Someone linked the Virtual Venue page for the new arena: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...&postcount=331

Not sure if this is meant to be visible to the public or not at this point. But cool view inside the new arena.

jon84, Sea11otto, 12th man, trebuday, Ajohns90 liked this post
Old January 17th, 2020, 10:03 PM   #3529
wesburke

Likes (Received): 192

Didn't see anything thing on this yet. A few renders I have not seen before. Not sure about that sign at the top.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl...id=hplocalnews

Grasshopper:
“Masta, why box in skyline?”

Master:
“Ah, mind of Grasshoppa wonder into place of old sage, but Masta answer. Box ugly but serve many purpose in city. Sometime builder have no veesion or city elders deny pointy shape. But box make good infeel. Remember this Grasshoppa, box on inside like all other building. All building matta.”
wesburke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 03:41 PM   #3530
AKH

Likes (Received): 195

Nice set of recent construction photos from NHL to Seattle:

https://nhltoseattle.com/2020/01/21/...tour-01-21-20/
Old January 22nd, 2020, 07:53 PM   #3531
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 11251

From todays DJC.

https://www.djc.com/news/co/12129013.html

January 22, 2020

New arena pit nearly done as roof ‘floats' above on temporary bracing

By BRIAN MILLER
Real Estate Editor

The landmarked roof of the old KeyArena is now “floating,” and the first foundation work has begun.

The DJC and other media made a site visit yesterday, where excavation to a depth of about 75 feet is nearly complete. Representatives from Oak View Group, contractor Mortenson and project manager CAA Ikon all said the $930 million project is still on schedule to open in the fall of 2021. That's the same time an unnamed new NHL team is expected to debut there.

One name we now know is that of Alaska Airlines, which recently bought the naming rights for the new atrium to go on the south side of the project, facing Thomas Street.

That 36,000-square-foot structure will appear relatively late in the construction (i.e. 2021), since it's entirely above grade and connects to the plaza that wraps around the site to First Avenue North. It'll also be the arena's new main entrance — a change from the old configuration.

Alaska Airlines Atrium will also sit on top of the new 190-foot-long loading and access tunnel. James W. Fowler Co. recently began boring in the parking lot south of the landmarked Pottery Northwest (aka the Bressi Garage). It'll be about 75 feet deep where it enters the new arena. The dimensions — about 24 feet wide, 18 feet high — will allow two tour buses or tractor-trailer rigs to pass in opposite directions, to expedite the staging of sports and entertainment events.

Detaching and preserving a 44 million-pound roof has been a unique proposition. Neither Johnsen nor Greg Huber of Mortenson could recall any precedent. “It's something that we've never quite tackled,” said Huber.

The old arena had 400,000 square feet, and the new will have around 750,000. Of that, about 500,000 will be below grade.

Elliott Veazey of CAA Ikon said that the naming rights for new arena aren't being auctioned off in a formal process. If and when the NBA commits to a new franchise in Seattle, that would greatly increase the value of said rights. But there's no guarantee of a new NBA expansion team here before the arena opens and the naming rights are sold.

Extensive scaffolding allows workers to access the 44 million-pound roof, which is now completely supported by temporary bracing.

iogeon, hmaurice liked this post
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 10:12 PM   #3532
BoulderGrad

Word from the presentation the group did at Pacific Science Center was that the roof would be supported by its new foundations by May-June. Apparently, they're just pouring their first footings.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 10:17 PM   #3533
Seattle206

Some impressive construction engineering going on! I've never seen anything quite so daring. And not one dime of public money involved!
Old January 22nd, 2020, 11:53 PM   #3534
DawgFan

Likes (Received): 954

How much money would they have saved if they didn't have to keep the roof?
DawgFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 12:09 AM   #3535
pilarscousinnoah

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
How much money would they have saved if they didn't have to keep the roof?

Potentially a ton. The media for years (press reporting on projects, cable channels with home improvement shows) has given us the common understanding of things being cheaper when starting from scratch.
Old January 23rd, 2020, 11:14 PM   #3536
nwctybldr

Likes (Received): 792

Interesting that Alaska bought naming rights to the atrium. Seems like a shot across the bow to dissuade Delta from buying naming rights to the whole place. I heard a rumor awhile ago that OVG is seeking a 20 year commitment for $20m/year. Seems unlikely they'll get that, especially with T-Mobile likely out of the picture and most of the other big local corporations unlikely to be interested in a naming rights deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see a non-local, National brand scoop it up again.

iogeon liked this post
nwctybldr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 11:27 PM   #3537
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwctybldr View Post
Interesting that Alaska bought naming rights to the atrium. Seems like a shot across the bow to dissuade Delta from buying naming rights to the whole place.
Rumbling was that OVG wanted Alaska to buy the rights for the whole arena, but Alaska felt they'd get a bigger bang for their buck putting their name where everyone walked into the arena.

Quote:
I heard a rumor awhile ago that OVG is seeking a 20 year commitment for $20m/year. Seems unlikely they'll get that, especially with T-Mobile likely out of the picture and most of the other big local corporations unlikely to be interested in a naming rights deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see a non-local, National brand scoop it up again.
Did T-Mobile announce they weren't going to throw their hat in? Nothing precluding having 2 arenas sponsored by the same company. Roger's has the rights for both the Vancouver and Edmonton arenas, Mercedes Benz has both the Superdome in New Orleans and Atlanta's new stadium, etc.
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:02 AM   #3538
pilarscousinnoah

Likes (Received): 316

The only problem is, contrary to what the press release/news coverage pushed, NOBODY is ever actually going to text or call their friends and family to tell them they’re waiting for them inside the Alaska Airlines Atrium! They’d say “We’re in the atrium.” Or “See you in the atrium.” Additionally, naming a room at a building is nothing compared to the instant worldwide advertising of your name when naming the building itself. Everything from city maps and signage to souvenirs to sports league schedules and team websites and music concert listings across the world would be part of immediate advertising for the company that gets the naming rights to the building. None of those items will likely ever mention the name of the atrium. Whoever gets the naming rights to the stadium will have the real jackpot.

Seasun liked this post
pilarscousinnoah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 03:34 AM   #3539
BoulderGrad

Didn't say it was the biggest impact for them. It was that it was the best bang for their advertising buck. There's a big difference.

And advertising around the arena has nothing to do with getting people to say your name. It's all about people having eyes on your brand (think about the advertising you see in airports).

Its a good deal for Alaska because they don't have to pay nearly as much as they would if they were to slap their name on another arena in town (which they already have UW's campus covered for that), bus still get everyone who's walking into the arena to stare at a big sign with their name on it.
Old January 24th, 2020, 03:37 AM   #3540
BoulderGrad

And while we're at the main arena naming rights sponsor, to no one's surprise whatsoever:

Quote:
Amazon Is Leading Contender To Land Naming Rights To Seattle Arena
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...HKqsuUabYakPIw

AKH, iogeon, EKae, cadre liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seattle