ATLANTA - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (71,041) - Page 48 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #941
BlazerBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ATL
Posts: 811
Likes (Received): 847

Screenshot from the webcam this morning. Does anybody know what the concrete that's being poured in the south west corner (top left of construction site from this angle). It's outside of the main structure but it looks like office space or parking under street level.



__________________

EPA001, RMB2007, Ranma Saotome, will101 liked this post

Last edited by RMB2007; January 27th, 2015 at 10:52 PM.
BlazerBlaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #942
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 9,587
Likes (Received): 5227

Whoa! Methinks the image is at 1:1 scale!

As to the concrete my guess is utilities and simple foundation, based on the configuration of the "rooms" and walls. Not looking hearty enough to support anything substantial above and I'm pretty sure the extent of underground/below main floor level storage and transport takes place on the other side, in conjunction with the same for the GWCC.

What I want to know it's what's happening at Herndon Stadium in the background. Why the tarps over the seats, and why does the seating area look so worn?
__________________
RIP Neil Peart

"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #943
Msradell
Always looking up
 
Msradell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,810
Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
What I want to know it's what's happening at Herndon Stadium in the background. Why the tarps over the seats, and why does the seating area look so worn?
If you go over to Google Earth and zoom in on the stadium you will see that the blue that you are thinking is tarps is actually new seating that is the blue color!
__________________
"Written using Dragon Naturally Speaking"
I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #944
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 9,587
Likes (Received): 5227

Fooled by the resolution, I was! Thanks.
__________________
RIP Neil Peart

"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #945
BlazerBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ATL
Posts: 811
Likes (Received): 847

New infographic from the stadium website.

__________________

ielag, Ranma Saotome, EPA001, Sakesin liked this post

Last edited by RMB2007; January 27th, 2015 at 10:52 PM.
BlazerBlaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #946
BoulderGrad
Registered User
 
BoulderGrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,727
Likes (Received): 2358

Sooooo.... we spent $1.4bil for 21 more suites, 1760 more club seats, but 250 fewer overall seats, and... I guess... What? A retractable roof and a bigger scoreboard no one can see... Good value!
__________________
My safety word is "Keep Going."

Leedsrule, WesTexas, will101 liked this post
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #947
tinyslam
Registered User
 
tinyslam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,691
Likes (Received): 1077

Well if by we you mean Blank and his investors then yes they did. and with those nearly 2,000 more club suites they can make more money than they currently can with the dome. Plus the capacity is expandable to 75k. Plus the public portion of the funding (20-30% or about $300mil) comes from a hotel tax that comes from Atlanta's visitors.
tinyslam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #948
BoulderGrad
Registered User
 
BoulderGrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,727
Likes (Received): 2358

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Well if by we you mean Blank and his investors then yes they did. and with those nearly 2,000 more club suites they can make more money than they currently can with the dome. Plus the capacity is expandable to 75k. Plus the public portion of the funding (20-30% or about $300mil) comes from a hotel tax that comes from Atlanta's visitors.
What's $300mil among friends? $300mil which, btw, was just direct stadium construction costs. Don't forget lease tax breaks, infrastructure, and the like which bring the total closer to $560mil out of public hands. All so we can help the fabulously wealthy and connected Mr Blank make more money when Atlanta already had a perfectly good state owned and operated stadium for half that price (okay, not quite half in 2015 dollars).

If blank wants to take his $800mil from his buddies and build a new palace for the Falcons, then by all means... But why it has to have the extra cherry on top of a tax payer boost is still beyond me. Build your own, or rent one from the state/city (like the city built in '92 for only $214mil). Don't take public money and act like you're doing us a favor.
__________________
My safety word is "Keep Going."
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #949
tinyslam
Registered User
 
tinyslam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,691
Likes (Received): 1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Don't take public money and act like you're doing us a favor.
I agree with you, but unfortunately that's just not how things work in today's world. So I'm going to sit back and enjoy the construction of this marvel of engineering and when it opens I will enjoy going to games there. Even if this stadium was never built and instead the Dome was renovated it would cost public money. Hell just to keep the Dome the way it is costs public money so there's no getting around it. If you want an NFL team in your city you have to pay for it.
tinyslam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #950
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 9,587
Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
What's $300mil among friends? $300mil which, btw, was just direct stadium construction costs. Don't forget lease tax breaks, infrastructure, and the like which bring the total closer to $560mil out of public hands. All so we can help the fabulously wealthy and connected Mr Blank make more money when Atlanta already had a perfectly good state owned and operated stadium for half that price (okay, not quite half in 2015 dollars).

If blank wants to take his $800mil from his buddies and build a new palace for the Falcons, then by all means... But why it has to have the extra cherry on top of a tax payer boost is still beyond me. Build your own, or rent one from the state/city (like the city built in '92 for only $214mil). Don't take public money and act like you're doing us a favor.
We had this debate some 20 pages back but I couldn't find the response, so...

A. The public share will be closer to $400 M
B. The utility and road work all very much benefits the GW Congress Center in a big way, as well.
C. Bottom line is that the bulk of the $400 M would've been called upon in the next 5 years regardless because of the maintenance and repairs needed at the Dome, including replacement roof material and a projected Wi-Fi upgrade of some $60 M. So they could've spent 75% of the money to get a retrofitted dome and the franchise would've continued to muddle along in the bottom half of NFL ranks, or they could take the owner's offer to pony up now and get a state-of-the art venue that will allow GWCC expansion and keep the team in Atlanta vs leaving the City limits. And rest assured, Blank would've happily built for $800 M in Doraville or elsewhere but then the City would be strapped to keep the Dome or risk losing more convention business at a time when Atlanta needs every marquee event and structure it can take.

It's not necessary, just as with every public subsidy for manufacturing centers, etc., but it's a calculated risk that the investment will yield dividends real and ethereal. In this case I'm on board because of how much Blank has put into the community and because Atlanta is seriously vested on the convention center area for hosting major sporting events. Having the stadium right next to the GWCC is huge!

So yes, the City's hand was forced but even then their share is a pittance compared to other examples and what the potential losses could've been. (See: Cobb County, Braves.) Do I wish it was done w/o any subsidy? Always. But the pragmatist in me who sees this stuff happen everyday thinks this investment ranks among the top 10%, so until the practice as a whole is discontinued the City made a smart move, I feel.
__________________
RIP Neil Peart

"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."

BlazerBlaze liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #951
BlazerBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ATL
Posts: 811
Likes (Received): 847

January 2015 Aerial Photos





January 2015 Aerial Photos
__________________

EPA001, will101 liked this post
BlazerBlaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #952
BoulderGrad
Registered User
 
BoulderGrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,727
Likes (Received): 2358

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
I agree with you, but unfortunately that's just not how things work in today's world. So I'm going to sit back and enjoy the construction of this marvel of engineering and when it opens I will enjoy going to games there. Even if this stadium was never built and instead the Dome was renovated it would cost public money. Hell just to keep the Dome the way it is costs public money so there's no getting around it. If you want an NFL team in your city you have to pay for it.
Fair enough. But really, it doesn't have to be this way. The reason most European soccer teams play in disjointed mismatched stadiums is because they don't have free tax gifts to lean on whenever they want to make upgrades, so they make them a little bit at a time with their own cash. You have to be a club like Arsenal with an owner like Stan Kroenke (who ironically enough is demanding a huge tax gift to replace St Louis' perfectly good stadium) to be able to just build a whole new facility from scratch.

I get it... I just don't like it...
__________________
My safety word is "Keep Going."
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 05:42 AM   #953
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,000
Likes (Received): 4845

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Fair enough. But really, it doesn't have to be this way. The reason most European soccer teams play in disjointed mismatched stadiums is because they don't have free tax gifts to lean on whenever they want to make upgrades, so they make them a little bit at a time with their own cash. You have to be a club like Arsenal with an owner like Stan Kroenke (who ironically enough is demanding a huge tax gift to replace St Louis' perfectly good stadium) to be able to just build a whole new facility from scratch.
Kroenke actually hasn't asked the public in St. Louis for anything, nor does he plan to.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #954
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 9,587
Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Fair enough. But really, it doesn't have to be this way. The reason most European soccer teams play in disjointed mismatched stadiums is because they don't have free tax gifts to lean on whenever they want to make upgrades, so they make them a little bit at a time with their own cash. You have to be a club like Arsenal with an owner like Stan Kroenke (who ironically enough is demanding a huge tax gift to replace St Louis' perfectly good stadium) to be able to just build a whole new facility from scratch.

I get it... I just don't like it...
FYI, Arsenal built their stadium BEFORE Silent Stan bought the team. The large early bills for that work were the reason they couldn't afford the roster costs that they're now able to enjoy. (They achieved a reserve that allowed them to effectively lower the interest rate and insurance of the remaining debts early last year.) It's been their fiscal prudence that made them so attractive to Kroenke. And why he won't put anything into the club personally, which frankly I appreciate as a Gooner. I'm decidedly anti-sugar daddy!
__________________
RIP Neil Peart

"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #955
BoulderGrad
Registered User
 
BoulderGrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,727
Likes (Received): 2358

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Kroenke actually hasn't asked the public in St. Louis for anything, nor does he plan to.
Mmmm, yeah, looking into it, I guess you're right.

The Rams were saying EJD needed $700mil in "renovations" (basically tear down most of the stadium and rebuild), but no funding source was ever identified, or how much of it would be publicly financed. But the writing was on the wall for that one since it was written into the EJD lease agreement that it was on the city to keep the stadium in the "top %25" of the leagues' facilities.
__________________
My safety word is "Keep Going."
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #956
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,000
Likes (Received): 4845

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Mmmm, yeah, looking into it, I guess you're right.

The Rams were saying EJD needed $700mil in "renovations" (basically tear down most of the stadium and rebuild), but no funding source was ever identified, or how much of it would be publicly financed. But the writing was on the wall for that one since it was written into the EJD lease agreement that it was on the city to keep the stadium in the "top %25" of the leagues' facilities.
During arbitration, where the competing $700m vs $150m plans were proposed, Kroenke was simply asking the city to fulfill the terms of the lease they had agreed to, unfavorable or not. And if they chose not to, he was more than happy to relocate his team and build a new stadium in LA with his own money. St. Louis is now trying to come up with a plan that would leave taxpayers on the hook for $500 million, but he isn't even returning their calls. How generous of him!
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #957
crane lover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 55
Likes (Received): 67

I note that the big red cranes, which I believe are Manitowoc 2250s,are having numbers put on them, going up to at least number 11.Does this refer to the number of cranes of this type, or of similar height, that will eventually be on the site? also, I'm guessing that these cranes, of which there are currently seven, are at least 300' tall. Does anyone know their height?
crane lover está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #958
RMB2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,905
Likes (Received): 24855

Quote:
Daktronics to build halo board in new Falcons stadium

The Atlanta Falcons hired Brookings, S.D.-based Daktronics (NASDAQ: DAKT) to build a first-of-its-kind circular LED video display for the team's new $1.4 billion stadium.

The 63,800-square-foot,non-traditional LED video display will be more than five stories high and three times as large as the current largest single display board in the NFL. Referred to as the 'halo' board, it will be built into the stadium's retractable roof structure, positioned above the center of the field.

It will have LED video capabilities, including full HD video and instant replay. It will also be divided into multiple sections to highlight video, scoring and statistics, graphics and animations, and other game information.

"The LED video halo board Daktronics is building for the new Atlanta stadium is a game changer in every way," said Atlanta Falcons President and CEO Rich McKay, in a stadium. "Our goal at the outset was to reimagine the stadium experience, and the halo board is consistent with this vision. It's a display that has never been created before with the latest technology, and we are thrilled that Daktronics is helping us to deliver this unique experience to our fans and guests."
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...s.html?ana=twt
__________________

BlazerBlaze liked this post
RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:31 PM   #959
Msradell
Always looking up
 
Msradell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,810
Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane lover View Post
I note that the big red cranes, which I believe are Manitowoc 2250s,are having numbers put on them, going up to at least number 11.Does this refer to the number of cranes of this type, or of similar height, that will eventually be on the site? also, I'm guessing that these cranes, of which there are currently seven, are at least 300' tall. Does anyone know their height?
I think you are correct as to what type of cranes they are. I don't believe there are ever going to be 11 on-site however, and the point they are in construction right now is when they would be leaving the most lifting capacity. My guess is that number 11 may represent the total number of cranes on site, not just that type. They use the ring systems like that so it's easier for the spotters to be sure they are communicating with the correct operator. Not sure of the exact height but I think you are pretty close is your guess of 300'. I don't have money Manitowoc charts available right now to check the configuration however.
__________________
"Written using Dragon Naturally Speaking"
I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:43 PM   #960
Jericho-79
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
So the Georgia Dome will be demolished and replaced by one massive parking lot?

I hope so. I wonder where people park and tailgate for Falcons games.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
american football, atlanta, innovation, revolution, soccer, stadiums, stadiums and arenas, united states, usa

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us