Projects & Discussion | SYDNEY | News, Gossip & Ramblings - Page 188 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales > Sydney CBD

Sydney CBD and surrounding inner-city areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2019, 06:15 AM   #3741
Mornnb

Likes (Received): 3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz999 View Post
Burying the railway line is only going to be hugely expensive (water table issues and all plus reclaimed land), and needs to be deep to get under Harbour Tunnel approaches.

Plus you'd need to cut the city circle line for some time to do all the connections, I'd say minimum 12 months. Even with light rail and metro from 2024 thats a disaster.

And by removing the Cahill you either create a traffic mess in northern North Sydney or funnel traffic down Bridge St

I think moving the water line out a few metres as part of wharf redevelopment to widen the walkway is the more likely outcome and/or reclaiming some of the current retail space

And too many other important objectives for rail lines in an ever growing Sydney than an expensive vanity project.

Agreed. Given the costs involved.. If the choice is between burying Circular Quay station or a new Metro to say Maroubra. I think it's pretty obvious which option most of us would pick.
Burying Circular Quay station? Lets revisit this in say 50-100 years when we have the rail situation better sorted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2019, 10:33 AM   #3742
ChrisLopez

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyG View Post
I never said we need 'less'. I said we are actually getting a lot more with every new development. The issue as i see it is the activation part - there have been many attempts the last few years with various degrees of success. They need to loosen up their regulations and allow for more things to happen - more music, more vibrancy, more fun.
Definitely agree on that point
ChrisLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 11:29 AM   #3743
Stadium Lover

Likes (Received): 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
no worries. lets start this week
whos going to do this? where do trains and cars go? how much will it cost? never gonna happen
I know it will never happen, it's just a dream.
Probably the worst ever designed bit of infrastructure ever built in this city.
Stadium Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2019, 01:44 AM   #3744
SydneyG

Likes (Received): 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLopez View Post
Definitely agree on that point
Also as a quick FYI, i read through the Melbourne City proposal for reviews of their planning process, especially on street level. Sydney is featured more than once as an example to follow in terms of how we have been doing just that - activating the city on the ground level, opening up public spaces, pedestrianizing areas and connecting lane-ways through new buildings.

Areas such as Darling Square/Harbour are uniquely Sydney at the moment, as an example. A massive urban space right in the center of the city where you can get lost and relax, without even noticing or hearing cars or other CBD related noise. And this is in addition to green parks and spaces in and around the harbour.

Laneways are cool and all, but we have many much more important parts and open spaces to be proud of in the interim.

Brisbane is also doing a very good job lately activating the areas around the river, providing with heaps more open space to move around in some cases than our neighbors down South.
Old December 31st, 2019, 02:33 AM   #3745
Mornnb

An additional point here is the quality of activation in various development projects such as Central Park, Barangaroo. With ample public space, retail space. Which is being repeated in other areas like Darling Square, Quay Quarter, Green Square.

SydneyWorks, SydneyG, S.Zampatti liked this post
Mornnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:06 AM   #3746
prp002

Likes (Received): 4828

yes I'd say Sydney folk aren't comfortable (on the whole) with traditional laneways as a destination or hang out spot.

Besides, developers are amalgamating sites in the CBD and getting rid of them in favour of larger communal spaces. An early example was Australia Square followed by the AMP Centre (aka Quay Quarter)
prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:23 AM   #3747
Mornnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp002 View Post
yes I'd say Sydney folk aren't comfortable (on the whole) with traditional laneways as a destination or hang out spot.
They are important however as they do alternative culture better, you get various shops with creative street art and original food/drink culture. This has a net effect of also enhance the nightclub culture and variety of facilities.
In other words, Sydney needs to do both.
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:25 AM   #3748
SydneyWorks

Likes (Received): 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
They are important however as they do alternative culture better, you get various shops with creative street art and original food/drink culture. This has a net effect of also enhance the nightclub culture and variety of facilities.

In other words, Sydney needs to do both.

I think simply having more commercial/light industrial space available is key to this. Plus many more smaller holdings that are correspondingly cheaper to rent.

Then comes how they are arranged: streets, accessibility, discoverability, clustering.
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:27 AM   #3749
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6707

Sydney folk aren't comfortable with traditional laneways primarily b/c it hasn't had them, but that is changing, and that is a good thing.
Brizer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:28 AM   #3750
SydneyWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xing lin View Post
As a bit of a Christmas card to you all on the NSW forums, here is a line-up render of all the ~200m+ projects that will be crossing into the new year with us!

L to R:
216m Quay Quarter; 237m Greenland Centre; 247m One Sydney Harbour R4A; 270m 505 George; 271m Crown Hotel Sydney; 263m Salesforce Tower; 230m 6&8 Parramatta Square; 213m 180 George Street; 198m 8 Phillip Street; 197m One Circular Quay.

Thank you all for your informative contributions! (And thanks to Culwulla for the help with diagrams for 115 Bathurst!)

What’s 180 George St?

S.Zampatti liked this post
SydneyWorks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:32 AM   #3751
prp002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyWorks View Post
What’s 180 George St?
parra

SydneyWorks liked this post
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:32 AM   #3752
SydneyWorks

Thanks.
Old December 31st, 2019, 04:30 AM   #3753
Gimble

Likes (Received): 1575

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp002 View Post

Besides, developers are amalgamating sites in the CBD and getting rid of them in favour of larger communal spaces. An early example was Australia Square followed by the AMP Centre (aka Quay Quarter)
Where are laneways being eliminated? Pretty much every recent development involves the creation of new laneways, reactivating/rejuvenating existing laneways or creating cross site access.

SydneyG liked this post
Gimble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 04:39 AM   #3754
SydneyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimble View Post
Where are laneways being eliminated? Pretty much every recent development involves the creation of new laneways, reactivating/rejuvenating existing laneways or creating cross site access.
Agreed. Funny how much emphasis is given to laneways though, as if they make or break a city. I'd rather have areas like Barangaroo Reserve or the entire stretch of Darling Harbour/Pyrmont/Barangaroo/Darling Square than just some 'staged' laneway that hipsters seem to go gaga over.

SydneyWorks, S.Zampatti liked this post
SydneyG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 04:40 AM   #3755
prp002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimble View Post
Exactly. Replacing laneways with "cross site access" is eliminating old laneways, as is "creation of new laneways" (which still involves eliminating laneways and replacing with redesigned ones).

Quite different to activating the existing ones.

Sydneys streets have always been narrow, and the laneways even moreso - making them usually unsuitable to filling with seats and planter boxes without blocking them
Old December 31st, 2019, 05:48 AM   #3756
Tasmanian

Likes (Received): 478

The more mysterious thing about Melbourne’s association with laneways to me is how few of them it actually has.

I mean, I understand if the whole Melbourne laneways thing partially a misnomer for the ‘little’ streets crossing the city, which do a lot to make Melbourne a better pedestrian place and which are the actual urban success of the Hoddle Grid. But if we’re talking about actual laneways, apparently filled with vaunted street art? There’s probably all of 300m worth of them to be found in the city core. There’s a reason the tourist marketing shots are all taken in the exact same spot...

fro liked this post
Tasmanian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 06:35 AM   #3757
prp002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian View Post
The more mysterious thing about Melbourne’s association with laneways to me is how few of them it actually has.

I mean, I understand if the whole Melbourne laneways thing partially a misnomer for the ‘little’ streets crossing the city, which do a lot to make Melbourne a better pedestrian place and which are the actual urban success of the Hoddle Grid. But if we’re talking about actual laneways, apparently filled with vaunted street art? There’s probably all of 300m worth of them to be found in the city core. There’s a reason the tourist marketing shots are all taken in the exact same spot...
yes they imply there are dozens and dozens
Old December 31st, 2019, 07:11 AM   #3758
SydneyG

Hosier Lane needs a good scrub down. Not to mention the rubbish bins.
SydneyG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 08:30 AM   #3759
Stanwell

Likes (Received): 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyG View Post
Agreed. Funny how much emphasis is given to laneways though, as if they make or break a city. I'd rather have areas like Barangaroo Reserve or the entire stretch of Darling Harbour/Pyrmont/Barangaroo/Darling Square than just some 'staged' laneway that hipsters seem to go gaga over.
I understand what you are saying, but a lot of those laneways you mention generally cater to people who are willing to spend up at a restaurant/cafe. The hipster thing I agree is over done, and perhaps that is the one thing about Melbourne where the laneways generally all have that same feel. I also agree with the above that there is not as many as they make out to be, but there is enough to give it a presence.

I think in the Sydney CBD there are some laneways between Town Hall and Hay St which could be invigorated with Asian eateries which charge at a reasonable price. I think it would be a success as generally Asian cuisine is at a decent price is very popular in Sydney. The laneways themselves can be made interesting to walk though with some art being done around them, and it wouldn’t need to be a hipster thing. Just so you get some variety and we don’t just have a lot of these new, modern swanky looking laneways.

SydneyG, ferroviar liked this post
Stanwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 08:38 AM   #3760
Tired_of_Tomorrow

Likes (Received): 505

Great pic on the banner of this site today. Happy NYE (and soon NY) everyone.

SydneyG, prp002, mw123, ArthurDayne liked this post
Tired_of_Tomorrow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz