Liverpool International Music Festival (LIMF) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #21
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 3580

Went on the Sunday and found it pretty disappointing to be honest, was like a big fair with a band playing far away, seemed to be mainly MCing over other songs. Ended up packing up and hitting the pubs down Lark Lane.

Was probably better down the front, or maybe I'm just getting old and miserable.
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #22
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 57395

I think that it was a pretty mixed bag, myself. Whilst I did not see all of the acts, of the ones that I did see - there were a few stand-out performances, which made the whole thing worthwhile for me: Sophia Ben Youseff ( band-stand); The Dirty Rivers ( 'It's Liverpool' stage): The Christians ( main stage).

Most of the time I felt the best place to be was on the hill opposite the band-stand, where Mellowtone DJ's played some very laid-back sounds - and you did not have to suffer the crush and commercial nature of the main field.

The main field really only came into its own on Sunday; because before that, the services/food outlets etc - were too far out from the crowd; making it feel empty and lacking in the cosiness of Africa Oye, for instance.The "40,000 people" thing was clearly in the mind of the organisers.

I don't go along with the recent pronouncements about "even bigger" next year - certainly not for Sefton Park, anyway. I do think, though, that it could be improved upon, and lessons learned. The crowds seemed to spilt off ( in Sefton Park) into fairly distinct demographics - according to taste and preference; and one way that things could be improved is to recognise this fact, and, for example, provide better catering facilities for the other two stages ( away from the main field).

Traffic & Parking was also a major issue.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #23
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 4973

The bandstand was the only bit I really saw and I loved it. I'm sure they'll tweak as they go along. Get onto them to ask how you can provide formal feedback.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 10981

I have faith in this growing year on year after a great start.

Quote:
Rain can't dampen fun as The Farm rock Stanley Park

Hundreds of music lovers flocked to Stanley Park for a day of classic tunes and fun.

The park hosted the free gig yesterday as the festivities continued with an entertaining line up.

The special gig was headlined by The Farm.

Lead singer Peter Hooton described it as an “honour” to be taking part in the event and wowed crowds as the band – who had eight top forty hit singles in the UK – including Groovy Train and All Together Now – returned to the stage with their original line up.

The band are famous for their links to football with Hooton playing a crucial role in spearheading last year’s Justice Collective campaign which raised funds and awareness for the Hillsborough families’ ongoing fight for justice.

Since it kicked off last month the Liverpool International Music Festival has been hailed a huge success by organisers.

A star studded line up of artists played to around 150,000 music fans at the free events in Sefton Park, with 21,000 buying tickets for the paid for stages at the Pier Head.

Yesterday’s gig was an attempt to make sure that crowds across the city were able to take part in the family fun.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #25
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

The Charlatans have announced they will play their rearranged gig at St George’s Hall on Friday 8th November as part of LIMFestival.
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

LIMF: Going out with a bang!

With hundreds of performances from bands from across the musical spectrum, it’s been a fantastic month of music. But the Liverpool International Music Festival isn’t finished yet. This weekend sees its finale with the LIMF Academy and a showstopping closing party at Leaf on Bold Street.

The closing party has been put together by LIMF curator Yaw Owusu and BBC Introducing’s Dave Monks.

“The idea was to bring the curtain down on four weeks of music across the city with a one-off showcase featuring a selection of local bands and artists in an intimate setting,” says Dave.

“It also gives an opportunity for people behind the scenes who have worked on the festival to have a night off and enjoy the music without chasing around a field or working the events.

“I suggested to Yaw that I wanted the night to have three things. The first was that they must be locally based, then I wanted some great strong live vocal performance. Lastly I wanted to give some of the bands and artists who have been on the programme for sessions in the last 12 months a chance to perform.”

City favourites Wave Machines are headliners “They are a band I have supported since they released their first album and also did BBC Electric Proms with us,” says Dave.

“Wirral band The Sundowners represented the area when they were chosen to play the BBC Introducing stage at Glastonbury a few months back so it’s great to have them playing.

“Lumin Bells have just won the Ones to Watch category in this year’s Liverpool Music Awards so they should be buzzing. Soul man Amique was one of our stand-out live acoustic sessions recently so we asked him and his choir to do some of his new songs.”

There will also be a set from Delta Maid, the Wavertree singer/songwriter who topped the US charts with Tornado, the song she wrote in Nashville

Dave says: “Delta’s musical journey has taken her back to the roots of the music she plays and loves with some success over in Nashville so from Wavertree to Nashville to back at Leaf for one night only!

“I am also happy because we will have the amazing voice of Laura Campbell who will be playing some solo acoustic tracks from the reformed Mulu. The night will open up with the amazing Sense of Sound and there will be three DJ sets from Ghost Chant, Lord High Owl and Muvelo. It should be boss!”

This weekend also hosts the Virgin Trains LIMF Academy, where music industry experts will share their knowledge in a free event for young people who want to learn more about the industry, develop their skills and look at ways in which to kick-start their career.

Around 1,000 free tickets for the academy have already been snapped up, but there are still some places left – see www.limfestival.com.

At the event there will be sets from young Liverpool acts Sophie Ben-Yousef, 16, Dominic Dunn, 16, and Tyler Mensah, 16.

Yaw says: “It’s a real acknowledgement of the immense amount of up-and-coming talent in this city that Virgin Trains have now picked Tyler Mensah to join Sophie Ben-Yousef as One to Watch.

"Tyler has a huge amount of potential and his development over the past 12 months has been quite exponential. This acknowledgment of his skills is just a sign of things to come as I expect big things for this young talent.”

Tyler has had a busy summer – already picking up a Liverpool Music Awards 2013 nomination.

He says: “I'm ecstatic and honoured that I've been chosen as one of the Virgin Train's LIMF Academy Ones To Watch for 2013. The boost this will give me is immense. LIMF has been great for a new artist like me. I have performed at the Bandstand and Pop Up shows and now I'm looking forward to performing on Sunday. I've definitely been inspired by this year's festival, hopefully I can be involved again in 2014.”

The weekend is the culmination of six months work for Yaw.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing some of our local and national music and media professionals inspire the next generation, with tips on how to succeed in those respective industries,” he says. “Also on Sunday we have some of our city's most exciting artists performing at both the Academy and the Dave Monks presents event.”

“Top of my list to check out are Tyler Mensah and Sophia Ben-Yousef at the Academy and Wave Machines and Delta Maid at Dave’s event.”

What have his highlights of the last month been?

He says: “Just seeing so many people come out and enjoy music in some of the best outdoor spaces we have in the city. I caught some chills at the Pier Head, seeing music fans of such a young age having a ball, then at Sefton Park watching a full park, of mixed backgrounds and ages, enjoying the sounds of the likes of Damian Marley, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, Soul II Soul and some of the best artists in Liverpool.

“But seeing The Farm performing All Together Now at Stanley Park was perhaps the most emotional.

“I was confident I could deliver a curated festival that would be reflective of the tastes, output and interests of those in the city.

“I have a bunch of ideas for the next few years. I'm itching to start on next year's festival already., even though 2013's festival hasn't yet finished.

“The key to the growth and development of this festival is that we continue to have great bands and artists, curate unique content and events in unique spaces and continue to engage with the local, national and international music community.

“I hope everyone is as excited as me to see where we can take LIMF.”
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #27
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Liverpool International Music Festival 2014 reveals line up including Ian Broudie, Boy George & Shaggy

Liverpool International Music Festival (LIMF) returns in August with some of the biggest names in the music industry.

More than 200 acts representing 20 countries will entertain audiences with around 150 hours of live music throughout the event, which runs from Friday 15 until Saturday 31 August.

Across the sixteen days, there will be performances from Boy George, Shaggy, Tim Burgess (The Charlatans), Goldie, The Hoosiers and GIT Award 2014 winner Forest Swords.

Among the other artists set to features are Kid Creole, Lemar, The Farm, John Power (Cast and La’s) and multi-Grammy nominee Marsha Ambrosius.

The August bank holiday weekend will see Sefton Park play host to LIMF Summer Jam.

It kicks off with Ian Broudie and The Lightning Seeds joining the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra in a special concert hosted by Classic FM which takes place on Friday 22 August.

Musician Ian Broudie said: “I’m delighted to be playing at Liverpool International Music Festival this year. The combination of the band and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra in Sefton Park on a sunny August evening should make for a magical event.”

Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, said: “We were overwhelmed by the response to the inaugural LIMF last year, and today, people still tell me that the Sefton Park gigs were the highlight of their summer.

“There’s more of a focus on the park this year, and without a doubt, it will be the place to be during the August bank holiday for all the family.

“The diverse music on offer ranges from internationally renowned artists through to home grown talent and some of the best bands paying tribute to iconic acts.

“There aren’t many other cities in the UK which put on hours and hours of high quality live music – the majority of which is completely free.

“As we saw in 2013, LIMF is a fresh approach to music festivals and I’m positive this year will be just as impressive and shine a spotlight on Liverpool’s music credentials.”

From Saturday to Monday, the Central Stage will have different themes: Saturday – British Invasion; Sunday – World Music; Monday – Summer Sessions with Juice FM.

LIMF’s Music Curator, Yaw Owusu, said: “This year is all about progression. LIMF Summer Jam's line up is really strong and with the addition of the International Emerging Stage and the Academy area, I know we are raising the bar - and we haven't even finished the line-ups yet.

"The LIMF Commissions are all about us creating and showcasing original music works and performances that have never been seen anywhere in the world before. I'm really excited about this element and overwhelmed with the calibre of musicians and artistic directors involved so far.”

As well as Central Stage there are four other music areas:

· The it’sLiverpool Stage will showcase the next musical trailblazers to come from Liverpool, as well as celebrate the legends of the city’s music scene and is curated by Bido Lito! and Echo music blog Getintothis.

· The International Emerging Sounds Stage will host artists from around the globe who are making names for themselves with their creative and individual approach to music which is earning them deserved world-wide recognition.

· The LIMF Bandstand will give a platform to local unsigned talent ranging from bands and soloists, covering a variety of musical genres.

· The LIMF Academy will showcase fifteen of the region’s hottest up and coming young acts.

One of the key aims of this year is to create never before seen or heard music performances via a series of LIMF Commissions. LIMF has engaged a number of celebrated artistic directors to work with various artists from different musical backgrounds and genres to create music magic under the theme of World Firsts By Collaboration. This will see four very special commissions by LIMF, all of which will be ticketed events:

Steve Levine’s Assembly Point Sessions – Taking place on 21 August at St George’s Hall, the award winning producer will direct a number of solo artists along with an all-star band in a unique collaboration. To date, collaborators include Tim Burgess, Pete Wylie and Bernard Butler. The evening will also see a full headline set from Boy George.

Migration Music – The Everyman will play host to Liverpool’s Sense of Sound choir which will collaborate with internationally renowned beatboxer Shlomo, in a voice only performance which invites the audience to travel through significant moments in music history. This will take place on 28 and 29 August.

You Are Here – Symbolically representing the countries that made up the Triple Entente (the United Kingdom, France and Russia), You Are Here will consist of musicians exploring what home means to them. Created by blog SevenStreets the piece will premiere at LIMF on 23 August in Sefton Park’s Palm House.

Minor Characters – Music manager Chris Bye and The Quietus, one of the most respected music and culture websites in the world, will bring together six artists to create an original body of work which will be released digitally through The Quietus label.

Participants include GIT Award 2014 winner Forest Sword, as well as the likes of East India Youth and Luke Abbott. It will take place at The Kazimier on Friday 29 August.

To launch LIMF 2014, local artist Marc Lewis, has created a special mural on giant letters at St George’s Hall. The finishing touches will be made at 10am on Thursday 15 May, revealing some of the line-up.

Marc said: “I am incredibly excited to be involved with the launch of LIMF.

“Last year's I was lucky enough to contribute a three-piece mural painting to the LIMF Pop-Up Art Gallery which featured many of the acts involved. Since then we have discussed the possibilities of doing a much larger mural, which the public could come along and watch unfold in real time.

“There has always been such a strong connection between music and art particularly here in Liverpool and my hope is that this project will engage the public whilst at the same time inspiring the next generation of artists and musicians from this great city.
Highlights

Thursday 21 August

Grammy winning producer Steve Levine will artistically direct the project that will see a number of top British music artists use traditional and new technology to collaborate together for an exclusive performance at the historic St George’s Hall. Featured performers include Boy George, Tim Burgess and Pete Wylie. This is a ticketed event.

LIMF Summer Jam, Friday 22 August, 7.30-9.30pm

Ian Broudie and The Lightning Seeds will join the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra for a stunning joint performance in the beautiful surroundings of Sefton Park. Free event.

LIMF Summer Jam, Saturday 23 August, midday-6pm

Central Stage is all about the British Invasion with acts playing tribute to bands that broke America including The Beatles, the Rolling Stones and The Who. The International Emerging Sounds Stage features Jamaica’s Stylo G, Japan’s WordySoulSpeak and Iceland’s Samaris. Free event.

LIMF Summer Jam, Sunday 24 August, midday-6pm

Shaggy, Kid Creole and Goldie are just some of the acts to take to the Central Stage while the it’s liverpool stage will play host to Wirral based indie rock band By The Sea along with the winners of the 2013 LIMF Academy One to Watch award Tyler Mensah and Sophia Ben-Yousef. Free event.

LIMF Summer Jam, Monday 25 August, midday-7pm

Juice FM will programme several artists yet to be announced, but across the park stages there will be performances from Lemar, The Hoosiers, Marsha Ambrosius, The Farm, John Power and Rustie, with a back to back DJ set with Kanye West producer Evian Christ. Free event

LIMF Summer Jam, Saturday 23-Monday 25 August, midday-5pm

The LIMF Academy returns for a second time which aims to inspire the next generation of musicians and performers. Aimed at 13-21 year olds there will be workshops, performance opportunities and master classes by some of the industry’s leading music experts. Free event

Other events that make up the programme include International Beatle Week, Summer Camp, Above The Beaten Track and Boiler Room: Circus x Liverpool International Music Festival.

openlyJane liked this post
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #28
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

MTV Brand New presented by LIMF

Liverpool International Music Festival (LIMF) are partnering with MTV to present some of the UK’s hottest new talent at this year’s festival. The exclusive show – titled MTV Brand New presented by LIMF - will launch this year’s festival on Wednesday 13 August, the festival at the city’s intimate Camp and Furnace venue in Liverpool’s creative Baltic Triangle area.

MTV Brand New 2014 nominee, and Brit Award winner Ella Eyre is joined on the bill by chart-topping singer-songwriter Jess Glynne (collaborator with Clean Bandit and Route 94 on two UK number one singles earlier this year) and singer-songwriter Becky Hill whose last single ‘Gecko (Overdrive)’ with Oliver Heldens went to number one in June ‘14.

Ella burst onto the scene when she featured on Rudimental’s ‘Waiting All Night’ and is known for her dynamic live sets and her powerful, raw, seductive voice. Her own debut single ‘If I Go’, out on July 14th, perfectly exhibits her all-conquering massive vocal with it’s gravely rich tone taking centre stage.

Jess Glynne releases her debut single ‘Right Here’ this week which is set to be a Top 5 hit and her voice is distinctly recognised in the chart toppers she has already featured on. Her vocal crosses over a distinguished mix of hip hop and soul but with enough pop to satisfy the wider audience at the same time.

She has also worked with Bless Beats, Rudimental and MNEK but now emerges in her own right.

Becky Hill has now toured with Rudimental, featured on and co written their track ‘Powerless’, Wilkinson’s ‘Afterglow’ and her recent Number 1 ‘Gecko (Overdrive)’.

Tickets are on sale now, priced at £3 per ticket (plus fees). The event starts at 19.30.

MTV Brand New presented by LIMF will be broadcast across MTV’s flagship UK music TV channels, MTV MUSIC and MTV LIVE HD, and subsequently across its portfolio of music channels.

PeterStoba liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2016, 03:36 PM   #29
Chris B

Likes (Received): 23399

From Liverpool Express -
Quote:
More LIMF artists unveiled

Joining the already star studded LIMF Summer Jam line up will be Wretch 32, WSTRN, Clean Cut Kid, Craig Charles, Stealing Sheep, The Vyrll Society, Adele Roberts (BBC Radio 1), Greg Wilson, Ady Suleiman, the 20 acts that make up the LIMF Academy Class of 2016 and brand new LIMFxLaces Out! stage featuring a selection of Hip Hop DJs.

Highlighting the festival’s continued dedication to celebrating its rich musical pedigree and ever-evolving contemporary music culture will be the unmissable LIMF Presents series – seven artistically directed projects exploring the theme of ‘Re-Definition’ focusing on the music and movements that have redefined and are redefining popular music and culture. ‘From The Soul’ presented by Gilles Peterson will look at the evolution of British Soul over the past 30 years and will feature performances by Incognito, Omar, Carleen Anderson, Ady Suleiman, Swindle and Thris Tian not to mention Gilles himself.

Liverpool’s finest house music export, Yousef musically directs ‘House Nation’, a celebration of the international sounds of House Music, with a line up that includes Dennis Ferrer (Objektivity, NYC) from New York, Reboot from Frankfurt, HECTOR – VATOS LOCOS from Mexico City and rising luminary Lewis Boardman. Celebrating past and present of Liverpool music’s counter-culture is ’76-16: From Eric’s To Evol’ which will see incredible live performances from the Buzzcocks, Pete Wylie, CLINIC and many more.

BBC Radio 1Xtra’s Seani B directs a collaborative piece that sees British Reggae artists explore the redefining sounds of UK Reggae with ‘Roots, Rock, Reggae’. Performers include Christopher Ellis, Carroll Thompson, Sweetie Irie and Kiko Bun. Whilst the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra will be taking over Sefton Park on Friday evening with a spectacular performance of music from the movies, and orchestral versions of some of the most defining songs that came from the city with the most enviable musical output. Expect hits taken from Cilla Black to The Beatles to Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

LIMF Summer Jam is free to enter taking place on Sefton Park from 22-24th July and the LIMF Presents shows will take place in iconic venues across the city between 21st-23rd July with tickets from £10 and available with more information from the website – http://www.limfestival.com.
Article continues here - http://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/mo...ists-unveiled/
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:40 PM   #30
Chris B

Sigma and over 50,000 of their closest friends rocking Sefton Park tonight -

Pretty busy over at the #itsliverpool stage as well -

Medi73#!, Nomis90 liked this post
Old July 24th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #31
openlyJane
Human Being

Some images from The Academy Stage ( my favourite ). As the day wore on there was a huge turn out, as Chris shows:

Medi73#!, Chris B, Nomis90 liked this post
Old July 24th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #32
Medi73#!

I don't wish to start a debate about this but need to say how much I love Sefton Park and hope that it's preserved in its entirety for future generations, it's such a loveable place, anyone with humanity loves Sefton Park .

Chris B liked this post
Medi73#! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #33
Chris B

Aye. I fully understand the value of LIMF, and I enjoyed myself there last night. These days with the world and the future being unpredictable and worrying at best, it was great to see so many people just letting loose having fun. With such a varied line-up, it's also very accessible to a wide range of musical tastes. As such, I think it's a great string to have in our bow.

That said, I'm someone who probably visits Sefton Park over 100 times a year, for no other reason than to enjoy its natural beauty, no matter what the month or weather. Blistering sun in July, snow showers in January, I've been there. However unlike any other event held there, when LIMF is underway, it does feel like the park has been invaded, almost taken away for a few days, and as such, as much as the event is a positive thing, it is always with a little pleasure in the days after, you see the park return to normal.

Medi73#! liked this post
Old March 14th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #34
Chris B

The first artists for the LIMF Summer Jam in Sefton Park have been announced, via Liverpool Express -
Quote:
The soundtrack to your summer is back – LIMF 2017!

The Liverpool International Music Festival (LIMF) returns in 2017 for its fifth anniversary. Taking place between Thursday 20th and Sunday 23rd July 2017, the LIMF programme is a grand-scale celebration of Liverpool’s rich musical history, diversity and continued relevance, reflected in its title as a Unesco City of Music. LIMF is made up of LIMF Summer Jam, a series of ticketed events LIMF Presents and the award-winning LIMF Academy.

LIMF Summer Jam returns for a free three day musical extravaganza at Sefton Park with a tantalising line-up of artists including Gorgon City, Corinne Bailey Rae, Naughty Boy, Fleur East, CAST, JP Cooper, Kate Nash, The Christians, So Solid Crew, Donae’o, Louis Berry, Sinead Harnett, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and many more. DJ sets are also confirmed from Katy B, Jax Jones, Tieks, MJ Cole, Artful Dodger, DJ Target (1Xtra), Manny Norte (Capital Xtra), Logan Sama and many more.
Article continues here - http://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/so...ack-limf-2017/

openlyJane liked this post
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #35
Chris B

LIMF map via the Echo -

I think I might be getting old before my time, as in the space of a few years, I've gone from 'must attend', to 'I'll go if there's someone alright on', to this year's, 'I have no intention of going, and look forward to the peace of the park returning next week'. That's not to say I think it's a bad event, it's good for the city, and brings enjoyment to many, but I think I've gone past it.

Chris 'going on 70' B

Fitzroy liked this post
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #36
openlyJane
Human Being

Have to say, Chris, I don’t enjoy it anywhere near as much as Oye - which is always carnivalesque - especially in the sun-shine, as with this year.

The best ever thing, for me, about LIMF, was the ‘emerging international stage’ - which lasted just the one year before being scrapped. It was embarrassing! Such fabulous, quality acts playing to just a handful of people( One of the acts went on to be played continually on commercial radio ) - and surrounded by food stalls that had paid up to £1000 to secure a spot - but with no custom all weekend. This for me could have been the future of LIMF, and a meaningful one, considering the performers were from all over the world. Most attendees, however, were watching tribute bands in the main field. Nah! Rather than set up camp as with Oye - we’ll just pass through and check out the various scenes. I quite like the stage featuring the youngsters.
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #37
Chris B

I do wonder whether the LIMF is drifting from its original concept of covering a wide spectrum of music, to increasingly becoming quite mainstream, with other music being pushed out? As you note, the most unique stage lasted the first year only, seemingly being replaced by the Academy Stage which alleges to cover emerging talent, but seems to have a narrower remit. In addition, the map seems to show it will be directly competing with the It's Liverpool stage in the same area. I also note the Friday evening classical concert with the Phil has stopped this year too, with them being relegated to first act of the day on Sunday lunchtime.

At the moment the mainstream acts are less enticing than even a Radio City Live event at the arena, while the other types of music are being sidelined. A jack of all trades, master of none situation. Maybe it would be better to split the two, and fully commercialise the main event to maximise revenues. Focus on the Central Stage only, and scrap the add-ons like the family zone etc, and just have a normal Fusion-like event. Then, use the other stages and add-ons to start a separate emerging and alternative music event on another weekend? This would allow a full programme of mainstream acts on the main LIMF weekend, while allowing a separate weekend for emerging and alternative types of music to take centre stage.

Most events change and adjust over time. Maybe after five years, an assessment of what is and isn't delivering properly is needed here?

Fitzroy liked this post
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #38
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 4973

The mistake many make though is attributing the free stuff as the entirety of LIMF.

Looking at the paid stuff, there is still plenty of really interesting stuff. Norman Jay, Jungle Brothers, Stretch Armstrong, Circus and Trevor Nelson.

Good to see some Grime making it;s way to one of the main stages too. Wump wump!

It's a very diverse line-up of good British music. The only omission, as mentioned, it the presence of more international music. I suppose though they can only go on the lack of interest from when they tried it last time, couple with teh fact we've just had Oye and the Arab Arts festivals, so they think they've already covered that part of things.

The main acts are not as big, but the diversity of the smaller acts is actually pretty impressive. From house, grime, hip-hop, pop, reggae, classical, electro-pop etc.

It's a very different festival to Oye, which to all intents and purposes is a boozie picnic in the park, where the music is just backing noise whilst everyone just has a fun time. This is much more a "go and see acts" type of festival.

I'd always want to keep things under review but it's definitely a good, solid and diverse festival and one that has actually grown in stature in the last five years as a festival to be taken seriously, as opposed to the Matthew Street Festival.

And can someone actually point to where all these tribute acts are on the line-up? Bit of a false narrative building up there that needs nipping in the bud. The only tribute act of note that will be playing will be, ironically enough, the Philharmonic Orchestra.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #39
openlyJane
Human Being

I’m not sure that I’m creating a false narrative at all. The year in question, I was sat in the field with my husband, and was speaking with one of the few other people to be appreciating what was being performed there: a couple of the best emerging performers from Iceland, a couple from the U.S and Australia, amongst others. There were tribute bands playing in the main field, and that’s where the bulk of the people were. I think most people just want to be where there are lots of other people, and are not that interested in music.

LIMF seems confused. I agree with Chris. I’m not sure of its purpose at all. I’ll certainly go along again this year, though, as I live nearby and it’s something to do.
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #40
openlyJane
Human Being

2014:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats...l-2014-7118444

"Central Stage is all about the British Invasion with acts playing tribute to bands that broke America including The Beatles, the Rolling Stones and The Who.

The International Emerging Sounds Stage features Jamaica’s Stylo G, Japan’s WordySoulSpeak and Iceland’s Samaris. Free event."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement