Uganda Oil Thread - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Uganda

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #41
Ameri-Ken
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseki2010 View Post
hiii ma man from the land of safari com, i like Kenya very much and i have visited it thrice in last year, mwana it was a great experience but truly u guys don't enjoy yo country tha Ugandans enjoy, for us we r entreprenuers and for u r good managers.if u want a good manager just visit Nairobi, if u want a good entreprenuer Visit tha CAPITAL:KAMPALA.ALLOW IT MA MAN
...nice illusions of false grandeur.

...why is Kampala International University oftenly referred as Kenya International University?
Ameri-Ken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #42
Ameri-Ken
BANNED

if UG is so rich, why is most of your budget financed by the donors, whereas in kenya less than 5% is supported by the donors?
Ameri-Ken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #43
03virgil

I think this whole donors and debt in Uganda is rocketing because the Ugandans are relying on the money they'll get from the oil
to pay their debts
remember that Uganda has a very small working population so the taxes it receives are smaller compared to Kenya which has a higher population and doesn't have 51% of their population under 15 years old.
and trust me, Ugandans are quite proud (even those corrupt officials) and hate to see their country funded by donor institutions but soon enough if the whole oil business kicks off
we may not need their money.
03virgil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #44
mwanamwiwa

Likes (Received): 1578

Quote:
IS there any rich black tycoon in kenya who can be compared to one of the richest black tycoons in Uganda
Exactly there is no, Uganda is hab to richest black East African.Indians r not black Africans, whites r not black Africans and Arabs plus Somalis and Ethiopian nationals r not black kenyans.IN Uganda its different, blacks r tha richest and yet they work hard.In the big five ***** hotels like Serena, Sheraton, Hilton, Metropole, Kabira, Imperial, tourist and Munyonyo Hotels u will find blacks in their reataurants, cafes and lounges.dont get suprised Ugandans have money and they want to employ them selves instead of being employed.They work hard to get what they have and after they get it.OOOK, just surf on about kampala skyscrapercity.com u go to their rich surburbs all good looking houses r 4 Africans.Uganda is known for its rich surburbs like kololo, muyenga, Ntinda, kamyokya and many others in the whole of East and perharps the whole Africa.Soooooooooo guys ugandans r already rich and they r going to become very rich because of the oil since they have the culture of not being employed but self employing themselves.All skyscrapers in Uganda r 4 Ugandans and even all businesses, they r not like Kenya which 95 % of business in Nairobi r multinational businesses for Europeans and even all suburbs r filled with White rich settlements.nyway come later
Its good to be patriotic but dont stretch it.Uganda rocks
mwanamwiwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #45
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 5960

Quote:
IS there any rich black tycoon in kenya who can be compared to one of the richest black tycoons in Uganda
Exactly there is no, Uganda is hab to richest black East African.Indians r not black Africans, whites r not black Africans and Arabs plus Somalis and Ethiopian nationals r not black kenyans.IN Uganda its different, blacks r tha richest and yet they work hard.In the big five ***** hotels like Serena, Sheraton, Hilton, Metropole, Kabira, Imperial, tourist and Munyonyo Hotels u will find blacks in their reataurants, cafes and lounges.dont get suprised Ugandans have money and they want to employ them selves instead of being employed.They work hard to get what they have and after they get it.OOOK, just surf on about kampala skyscrapercity.com u go to their rich surburbs all good looking houses r 4 Africans.Uganda is known for its rich surburbs like kololo, muyenga, Ntinda, kamyokya and many others in the whole of East and perharps the whole Africa.Soooooooooo guys ugandans r already rich and they r going to become very rich because of the oil since they have the culture of not being employed but self employing themselves.All skyscrapers in Uganda r 4 Ugandans and even all businesses, they r not like Kenya which 95 % of business in Nairobi r multinational businesses for Europeans and even all suburbs r filled with White rich settlements.nyway come later
I used to live in Ntinda and yes it's filled with nothing but Black rich and middle class. all Black Ugandans.

However i don't agree with certain things you said, Not all skyscrapers are Black Ugandan owned, and not all Business are black Ugandas owned.

But yes Ugandans own majority of the Businesses. ( i will put it at 60%). I know Uganda very well.
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #46
mkenya

Quote:
hiii ma man from the land of safari com, i like Kenya very much and i have visited it thrice in last year, mwana it was a great experience but truly u guys don't enjoy yo country tha Ugandans enjoy, for us we r entreprenuers and for u r good managers.if u want a good manager just visit Nairobi, if u want a good entreprenuer Visit tha CAPITAL:KAMPALA.ALLOW IT MA MAN

here is the data.I work from data of the world oil consumption for 2008. UG is about 11,000 bbl/day. Kenya is 64,000.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/econ...on_2008_0.html
mkenya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #47
mkenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03virgil View Post
I think this whole donors and debt in Uganda is rocketing because the Ugandans are relying on the money they'll get from the oil
to pay their debts
remember that Uganda has a very small working population so the taxes it receives are smaller compared to Kenya which has a higher population and doesn't have 51% of their population under 15 years old.
and trust me, Ugandans are quite proud (even those corrupt officials) and hate to see their country funded by donor institutions but soon enough if the whole oil business kicks off
we may not need their money.
Oil Business is very tricky.....it is sometimes a gamble...everyone hopes it goes well..once the petrodollars begin flowing...the uganda shilling will get too strong and it will be impossible for manufactures to export.....then it will be cheaper to even import food than to grow the food...killing the farmers..The worst is of course if m7 & cronies decides to line his pockets with the dollars..as they will for sure..at least 30% of the cash will be stolen.Anyway..us in Kenya hope for the best for it means that we will have richer Ugandans as Tourists...and also..it will be good for our manufacturing..and of course the pipeline and railway will get business pushing the oil for export.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #48
mkenya

Quote:
Thank you for your views...though I am afraid your pride is as big as a baloon and may blow u to nothing.
Well, to be Honest with you, comparing Uganda with Kenya is like comparing oranges with apples. A friend of Mine from UG told me that Kampala just began putting up sewarage system...things which were done in Kenya in the 70's. And many Ugandan towns have no sewage systems..something which is unheard of in even small towns in Kenya.

99% of the Asians in Kenya are traders...trading doesnt add anything to the economy. Its just a transfer of goods from person A to B.Kenyas wealth is mainly from the hardworking smallscale farmers exporting...everything from Tea...to butterflies (Butterfliy exports earn $200m ). These are the people who own the economy via their shares at Nairobi stock echange.

While I accept that we may be having a significant size of external investors...I think it is good..it is the first step in knowledge transfer. If an Asian brings some knwoledge from India, after some times...a normal native will learn how to do it and do the same thing much better.This is better than stagnating as you learn the hard way.

Of course, the Influence of Non-native Kenyans has been going down over the years and will continue that way as our natives gain more knowledge.

Your argument that 95% of business In Nairobi is MultiNational is a common misconception. You need to walk around and see. White people are very few in Kenya.Indians are the Majority non-whites and they live in Ngara and parklands which isnt a high end neighbourhood.

I think its normal mentality since the scale of things in Nairobi done by hard working ambitious Kenyans brings only one though in ur brain..."WHITE MAN".Thats why u keep saying that there are very many white men in Kenya..yet statistics puts Asians and whites at about 0.5%.
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #49
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3346

Quote:
Exactly there is no, Uganda is hab to richest black East African.Indians r not black Africans, whites r not black Africans and Arabs plus Somalis and Ethiopian nationals r not black kenyans.IN Uganda its different, blacks r tha richest and yet they work hard.
I respect black Ugandan tycoons especially those like Wavamunno who have clearly worked hard to get where they are. However, a number have dubious histories and their source of wealth is questionable. I wonder why you excluded the asians as if they dont have any wealth in Uganda. Kenya has its share of black tycoons as well as others from all the races you mentioned but the bottom line is they are Kenyans and they have made it in life.

Quote:
In the big five ***** hotels like Serena, Sheraton, Hilton, Metropole, Kabira, Imperial, tourist and Munyonyo Hotels u will find blacks in their reataurants, cafes and lounges.dont get suprised Ugandans have money and they want to employ them selves instead of being employed.They work hard to get what they have and after they get it.
Are you implying that you dont find black Kenyans in big hotels and restaurants? We know Ugandans work hard but not all have the choice or the opportunity of being employed by some big organisation, being self employed is not exactly a national trait, its a personal one. Come to think of it, a number of the big hotels in Uganda are run by Kenyans.

Quote:
OOOK, just surf on about kampala skyscrapercity.com u go to their rich surburbs all good looking houses r 4 Africans.Uganda is known for its rich surburbs like kololo, muyenga, Ntinda, kamyokya and many others in the whole of East and perharps the whole Africa.
Really? All the houses in say Kololo are for Africans? Get real bro. Frankly very few people outside Uganda know about Kampala's suburbs. Even in Kenya, the only suburb people know of is Makerere and its because of the University.

Quote:
Soooooooooo guys ugandans r already rich and they r going to become very rich because of the oil since they have the culture of not being employed but self employing themselves

Let's hope that the oil will be a blessing for Ugandans. Some Ugandans are rich but a majority, like in the rest of the continent, are not. Uganda still has a long way to go.

Quote:
All skyscrapers in Uganda r 4 Ugandans and even all businesses, they r not like Kenya which 95 % of business in Nairobi r multinational businesses for Europeans and even all suburbs r filled with White rich settlements.nyway come later
Hmm...lets take a walk around Kampala. Is Crane bank house owned by a black Ugandan? Cairo International bank house? Sheraton?... Even the Hilton which is being built and is the tallest structure now is owned by southern sudanese. As for businesses, think about it the next time you shop in Shoprite/Game/Uchumi/Nakumatt or do your banking in Stanbic/KCB/Equity/UBA/Ecobank etc. About Nairobi's suburbs being filled with rich white settlements???...You are joking right?

Last edited by Kenguy; June 25th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Kenguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #50
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
I used to live in Ntinda and yes it's filled with nothing but Black rich and middle class. all Black Ugandans.
Ntinda is a middle/upper middle neighbourhood. Its not a weathy/rich neighbourhood like Kololo or Muyenga.
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #51
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenya View Post
Thank you for your views...though I am afraid your pride is as big as a baloon and may blow u to nothing.
Well, to be Honest with you, comparing Uganda with Kenya is like comparing oranges with apples. A friend of Mine from UG told me that Kampala just began putting up sewarage system...things which were done in Kenya in the 70's. And many Ugandan towns have no sewage systems..something which is unheard of in even small towns in Kenya.
Kampala has a sewerage system and it was in place even before the 70's.

Quote:
99% of the Asians in Kenya are traders...trading doesnt add anything to the economy. Its just a transfer of goods from person A to B.Kenyas wealth is mainly from the hardworking smallscale farmers exporting...everything from Tea...to butterflies (Butterfliy exports earn $200m ). These are the people who own the economy via their shares at Nairobi stock echange

You make it sound like asians do nothing apart from sitting behind a counter selling stuff. Anyway, trade is just as important as any other sector of the economy unless you think the small scale farmer you mentioned just gets his cash and puts it under his pillow and does nothing with it. Retail was one of the reasons Kenya's economy grew in the recent past.

Quote:
While I accept that we may be having a significant size of external investors...I think it is good..it is the first step in knowledge transfer. If an Asian brings some knwoledge from India, after some times...a normal native will learn how to do it and do the same thing much better.This is better than stagnating as you learn the hard way.
I agree.

Quote:
Your argument that 95% of business In Nairobi is MultiNational is a common misconception. You need to walk around and see. White people are very few in Kenya.Indians are the Majority non-whites and they live in Ngara and parklands which isnt a high end neighbourhood.
Hmmm...asians live in more "high end" places than the ones you just mentioned. I think you have a certain bias against non-blacks in Kenya.

Quote:
I think its normal mentality since the scale of things in Nairobi done by hard working ambitious Kenyans brings only one though in ur brain..."WHITE MAN".Thats why u keep saying that there are very many white men in Kenya..yet statistics puts Asians and whites at about 0.5%.
Kenya is the product of all who live in it, not certain races.
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #52
Kenguy

Quote:
it will be good for our manufacturing..and of course the pipeline and railway will get business pushing the oil for export.
Actually, Kenya's manufacturing may suffer from this.

1. Uganda's oil may lead to cheaper energy prices and electricity production in Uganda as compared to Kenya.

2. A number of Kenya's manufactured exports to Uganda are petroleum based products. There will be a loss of market for the goods.
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #53
03virgil

even if Kenya loses some business from exporting oil to Uganda
it is still the main country that supplies us with our imports
see most of Mombasa might as well belong to Uganda because mist of the stuff there is heading for Uganda
i always wondered why Tanzania doesn't compete with Kenya to export things from Uganda from their ports
it would give them a whole lot of money
i mean Uganda already contributes a whale of money to the Kenyan government/economy via the exporting and taxes on exports heading for Uganda
Tanzania better get competitive because Kenya is winning that race hands tied down
BOOOoooooo Tanzania
03virgil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #54
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
see most of Mombasa might as well belong to Uganda because mist of the stuff there is heading for Uganda
i always wondered why Tanzania doesn't compete with Kenya to export things from Uganda from their ports
i mean Uganda already contributes a whale of money to the Kenyan government/economy via the exporting and taxes on exports heading for Uganda
Tanzania better get competitive because Kenya is winning that race hands tied down
BOOOoooooo Tanzania
Dar-Es-Saalam is far away. , Mombabsa is closer to Kampala. They will still loose to Mombasa.

Last edited by BUTEMBO21; June 25th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #55
sseki2010
In the brig

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:

here is the data.I work from data of the world oil consumption for 2008. UG is about 11,000 bbl/day. Kenya is 64,000.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/econ...on_2008_0.html
yeah i got it right thats true,but we drive tha most expensiveand fine cars on the land[East Africa]
sseki2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #56
sseki2010
In the brig

Quote:
Oil Business is very tricky.....it is sometimes a gamble...everyone hopes it goes well..once the petrodollars begin flowing...the uganda shilling will get too strong and it will be impossible for manufactures to export.....then it will be cheaper to even import food than to grow the food...killing the farmers..The worst is of course if m7 & cronies decides to line his pockets with the dollars..as they will for sure..at least 30% of the cash will be stolen.Anyway..us in Kenya hope for the best for it means that we will have richer Ugandans as Tourists...and also..it will be good for our manufacturing..and of course the pipeline and railway will get business pushing the oil for export.
yeah kenya will become more industriuos due to low cost of production in kenya and low cost of housing, kenya will be the industrial land and kampala will be the residential land since it has a good environment, kampala has the best Soil on land and Kenya will become a trade zone.so the oil is going to promote trade in the whole East Africa, since even kenya has an oil refinery
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #57
mwanamwiwa

Likes (Received): 1578

Quote:
BOOOoooooo Tanzania
Sorry but this is bullshit!!!....either way Uganda will still need Tanzania or Kenya to export your oil,its cheaper to export crude and Kenya has more bigger and better refineries so the oil will be refined in Kenya,atleast for the short while...the pipeline from Eldoret to Kampala is in progress,am sure there was a reason for it.
mwanamwiwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #58
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwanamwiwa View Post
Sorry but this is bullshit!!!....either way Uganda will still need Tanzania or Kenya to export your oil,its cheaper to export crude and Kenya has more bigger and better refineries so the oil will be refined in Kenya,atleast for the short while...the pipeline from Eldoret to Kampala is in progress,am sure there was a reason for it.

Completly agree.

Either Kenya will make money from Ugandan oil. The Refinary, and even if Uganda wants to Export to the West or China. the Transit is Kenya.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #59
sseki2010
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
Dar-Es-Saalam is far away. , Mombabsa is closer to Kampala. They will still loose to Mombasa.

Butembe if comparing East African countries, Tanzania is suppossed to be the ricest country in East Africa ,

1st of due its size
2nd of all due to its abundant minerals like diamond and some coal
3rd and lastly due to it population and that is bigger market

but Tanzanians r people who dont want change, they harras investors
they didnt attend school and r very tribalistic, they discrimate other countries like mostly Ugandans coz they think we r very brave and we dont dispeise work, Tanzanians mostly speak Swahili which is known in east Africa,
can u study math and physics in swahili,
so Tanzanians u continue coming to Uganda to style u up.thanks
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #60
sseki2010
In the brig

K.I.U(.............................?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameri-Ken View Post
...nice illusions of false grandeur.

...why is Kampala International University oftenly referred as Kenya International University?
its because its mostly filled wit kenyans, kenyans love uganda coz we have money and we know how to party, and mark you!, uganda has the best environment in East Africa,
Note this:
K.I.U is referred to as a university of damn students, coz if parent hears that any of her relative kid is in K.I.U he/she curses like this.......,'oyo asomaki', which means in English 'wat is yo son or daughter studying'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
oil, trade, uganda