ADMIN THREAD - Contact your Moderators here, Thread Title Change Requests, Members Suggestions, etc - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #41
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

I posted on the Holy Island thread here yesterday, having only just become aware that it existed, and looking at the level of use of threads here got me thinking. Wouldn't it be an idea to place the threads in (slightly) enlarged sub-forums? So Holy Island and Amble would go into Tyneside and Northumberland; Co Durham into Sunderland and Durham; 'outer' Teesside and Northern North Yorks into Teesside; North Lincs into Hull and Humber; and a new Cumbrian forum (on the Tyneside/Sunderland/Tees/Hull level) formed to include the Cumbrian threads (and encourage more). That would leave this higher level forum as an envelope for four (perhaps five) sub-regional forums and a limited number of admin threads.

I believe it would encourage use of the existing threads, encourage further discussions of the newly-included areas, and (if Cumbria is given its own sub-forum) give that important area more of an identity on SSC.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM   #42
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2037

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I posted on the Holy Island thread here yesterday, having only just become aware that it existed, and looking at the level of use of threads here got me thinking. Wouldn't it be an idea to place the threads in (slightly) enlarged sub-forums? So Holy Island and Amble would go into Tyneside and Northumberland; Co Durham into Sunderland and Durham; 'outer' Teesside and Northern North Yorks into Teesside; North Lincs into Hull and Humber; and a new Cumbrian forum (on the Tyneside/Sunderland/Tees/Hull level) formed to include the Cumbrian threads (and encourage more). That would leave this higher level forum as an envelope for four (perhaps five) sub-regional forums and a limited number of admin threads.

I believe it would encourage use of the existing threads, encourage further discussions of the newly-included areas, and (if Cumbria is given its own sub-forum) give that important area more of an identity on SSC.

Thanks.
Thanks Wilf, some good ideas there and I certainly want to do everything I can do to encourage contributions from the more rural areas around our North East England Cities.

I realised some time ago that posters from those rural areas areas who have ‘urbanism type issues’ (the remit of SSC) to discuss, in much the same way as posters in our major urban areas do, were often reluctant to do so because “numerically” they knew that their subjects would inevitably get drowned out in the main City-led forums.

I discussed this in the “Forum Issues” section of SSC . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1367087

Prior to that point there were NO discussion threads at all in the “communal area” of the North East England Sub-forum, other than the old pre-forum threads discussing the need for a sub-forum, that had been initially moved there.

I saw our “communal area” as an opportunity area for (almost) a “5th” internal forum, in addition to and separate from, our four City-led forums (and database changes to forums are almost impossible on SSC, I have found) where (without a database change) the rural areas around our cities could post and cover the topics they wished to, without fear of being drowned out.

So, the initial “Areas around Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull and Teesside - NOT covered in the City-forums”, threads were set up, and have subsequently been joined by other discussion threads, and even by two 'Project Threads' and their own Development Summary!

I have attempted to highlight the existence of this “communal area” (and those threads) by posting about it and them on the City-led
forums Admin Threads. eg . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=268
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=237

I actually think I should have posted about this area on the City Admin Threads, a bit more often.

Inevitably, the more rural areas will have less ‘urbanism issues’ (by definition) to discuss than our city areas (hence the ‘drowning out’ concerns, mentioned earlier) so the numbers of posts and threads will be correspondingly lower, but I still think I should publicise this area a little bit more. As said, some posters will not be aware it is there, as there is a tendency to go DIRECT to your own (of the four) City-led forums!

Using the “Communal Area” also has the slight advantage of (occasionally) bringing members from the four different City-forums together.

On a routine daily basis, it is often best to have the four forums discussing issues in their own separate forums in the level of detail that is likely to be of real interest only to their fellow 'local' members, but occasionally it is useful to have an area where members (who are "near neighbours") can come together to share views.

The “Impact of the CUTS” thread (started by a member of the Hull Forum) is an example of the potential for this.

It is also interesting that we have (sort of) re-created the traditional “BBC Region” of The North East and Cumbria by attracting some Cumbria threads here. The situation for them is even worse than it is for the rural areas around our North East England Cities – as they have NOWHERE to post at all, apart from our Communal Area.

So, that is the thinking behind the unofficial “5th Forum” of our North East England Communal Area. SSC are very reluctant to make official changes to forums structures, as the campaign for a “South East England Sub-Forum” – similar to our North East England sub-forum - in the Forum Issues area of SSC, is finding. This is due to mainly the database problems involved in structural changes - even name changes - to forums (as I found when changing "Humberside" to "Hull and Humber") so the "annexing" of our communal area seemed to be the best way to satisfy the need in a quick and easy way.

Anyway, those are the reasons behind what we have got, and my thoughts on the subject. It is good that we now have a discussion!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 3rd, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #43
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Happy 3rd Birthday

TODAY (14th October 2012) is our Sub-forums "3rd Anniversary".

It was three years ago today, that Chris welcomed us all to the North East England Sub Forum, of the Skyscraper City Website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb; 14th October 2009
This is just to say Welcome, and Thankyou.

SO to all of us who have worked hard for this, those who have supported those who have worked hard for this, thankyou. And to those who will transfer here from the Newcastle/Gateshead, Sunderland, Teeside and Hull 'single threads', welcome. And of course to those who will be new, we also welcome you.
In the last three years, our four internal forums (and our small 'communal area') have grown and developed in leaps and bounds.

This is a place where people (searching for information on the internet) often end up visiting, liking it, and STAYING.

So, here's a toast to ALL of us (each and every one of us) for making this place the "destination place" it has become!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #44
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post

Thanks.
As I said to begin with there should be just the one north east sub forum.
I'm Co.Durham but am far more interested in Newcastle than Sunderland except where football is concerned- not that anything ever really happens in the Sunderland forum. Though I am interested in developments all over the region.

Last edited by Tyr; October 15th, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #45
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
As I said to begin with there should be just the one north east sub forum.
I'm Co.Durham but am far more interested in Newcastle than Sunderland except where football is concerned- not that anything ever really happens in the Sunderland forum. Though I am interested in developments all over the region.

Certainly, the Newcastle Metro Area forum is the busiest (more regular members) of the four internal forums.

Of the areas covered on the Newcastle forum that are 'south of the river' in Gateshead and South Tyneside (ie, ex-County Durham, where I grew up!) are you content with the level of coverage they are given?

In truth, as with any other part of the patch, it gets the level of coverage commensurate with the number of posters and posts on the forum, and extent of activity in the area, but . . . do you feel that there is any subject or 'project' that could be better covered?
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #46
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

How to find out where a "quoted post" on SSC, originated from . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
I'm probably having a bad day... where abouts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
If you click on the small arrowhead after the name of the writer of each "quoted post", you can work your way back to where the discussion originated.

I just thought the above little snippet of information might be of interest to a wider audience.
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #47
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 573

Perhaps a thread for all 'Nuclear Power in the NE and Cumbria' issues? Appears to be the biggest thing going at the moment.
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #48
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Perhaps a thread for all 'Nuclear Power in the NE and Cumbria' issues? Appears to be the biggest thing going at the moment.

New thread started, to cover these issues.
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #49
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
New thread started, to cover these issues.
Thanks NH. Could you please change the title to 'the nuclear industry' rather than 'nuclear energy'. At present Sellafield isn't a power station, it's a reprocessing plant.
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #50
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Thanks NH. Could you please change the title to 'the nuclear industry' rather than 'nuclear energy'. At present Sellafield isn't a power station, it's a reprocessing plant.

Done!
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #51
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

New Facility - the "Like" button.

Throughout SSC worldwide (mainly on the 'Moderator' forums) there has been a fair amount of discussion for a while, about wasted posts that don't contain anything other than "thanks or "nice" or "cheers", and so on.

Those sort of posts artificially inflate post-count and are very frustrating for people when they open a post expecting to find new information, only to be disappointed!

The discussion centred around how this can be resolved, and so now (since yesterday) SSC forum software has been updated to (hopefully) take care of this.

From now on there will be a new "thumbs up" like-button at the bottom right hand corner of everyones post that you open (apart from your own) and all you now need to do is CLICK on that.

Give it a try
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #52
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry_Lynn View Post
Found it, thanks. Trouble is and judging by the lack of "Suchandsuch likes this post", I believe that hardly anyone's aware being able to give a thumbs-up

You've got to remember that the whole thing only started yesterday!

It has had more publicity here, by 'being announced' on all five Admin Threads of the North East England Forums, than it has on any other forum on SSC that I know of!

It is very early days yet (and remember, some people positively will NOT like it so will never use it) but here it is announced again . . .

Quote:
New Facility - the "Like" button.

Throughout SSC worldwide (mainly on the 'Moderator' forums) there has been a fair amount of discussion for a while, about wasted posts that don't contain anything other than "thanks or "nice" or "cheers", and so on.

Those sort of posts artificially inflate post-count and are very frustrating for people when they open a post expecting to find new information, only to be disappointed!

The discussion centred around how this can be resolved, and so now (since yesterday) SSC forum software has been updated to (hopefully) take care of this.

From now on there will be a new "thumbs up" like-button at the bottom right hand corner of everyones post that you open (apart from your own) and all you now need to do is CLICK on that.

Give it a try
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #53
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

SSC Member - Accel

For Information.

If you see the above SSC members name listed as a visitor in your "Personal Profile", and everyones personal profile on this forum that I have looked at today has him listed, you can see the fruits of his work (the reason why he has visited your profile page) here . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1581874
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:18 PM   #54
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squipper View Post
Whoever stated that SSC is the largest forum on the web is incorrect

4chan is the largest. By a huge degree, get your facts right!

Just 'for information' . . .

Here are a few links to sites that compare various aspects of largest/busiest forums throughout the world, etc.

1 - The biggest Boards (.com)

http://www.thebiggestboards.com/

SSC at Number 10.

2 - Big Boards (.com)

http://rankings.big-boards.com/?filter=all,EN

SSC at Number 16

I obtained the above links from one of the Moderators Forums, where this sort of thing is periodically discussed.

Whenever anything of interest crops up, if I can, I always mention it here on the Admin Thread.

Old April 27th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #55
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quality Posts, and LOTS of them . . .

It was as recently as 15th July last year when our "North East England SSC Forum" reached the incredible 100,000 posts milestone.

SEE - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=638

As I was announcing that achievement here on this thread, I noticed that we were still a massive 10,000+ posts behind the very busy and successful Leeds Metro Area Forum.

Now, the Leeds Forum (as said) is a busy one and a MUCH OLDER forum than ours, as we were only formed in October 2009, but it was the next one above us 'post-numbers' wise.

With their post numbers continuing to rapidly expand, no matter how well we did I could not see how we could ever catch up with them!!

WELL . . .

Today (27th April 2013) we have caught them, as can be seen below.

If you want to see these figures for yourself, click on the Projects and Construction link, at the top of the forum page.

What this means (statistically) is that in the nine months since July 2012 Leeds have gone on increasing their post numbers by nearly 15,000 posts, to 124,978 - a very respectable total.

However, in the same period, our total has increased by nearly 25,000 posts, to achieve the current 124,982 posts figure!!

Well done (again) us all, as the combined Newcastle, Hull, Sunderland and Teesside Forums are all playing their part.

The 'numbers' are almost the least important aspect of our forums, as it is the quality of interesting (VERY interesting) debate and the recording of vast amounts of "unique" historical and other facts (see the "Index Thread" on the Newcastle Forum for an itemisation of just part of that) that are the most important.

Remember, this period of increased post numbers has coincided with the introduction of the "like" button. That facility has helped to reduce post numbers by avoiding the need for so many fairly pointless "thanks for that" and "I like that" type of post. It used to be quite annoying to open up a fresh post on a thread (hoping to find something of interest) only to read thanks or I like it or whatever, so often.

Anyway, I know that others (apart from me) keep an eye on this sort of thing (I have just had a PM from bigchrisfgb abaout it) and if any of you are interested in the other "Milestones" in this forum's short three and a half year history, you can find many of them listed here . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...1&postcount=57

Scroll down until you find SKYSCRAPER CITY.

Regards All,
NH.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #56
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Cumbria - On the North East England Sub-forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
There's no cumbria forum to ask this on
That is indeed true, so some years ago our sub-forum (the North East England Sub-forum, of which the 'Newcastle Metro Area' is one part) "adopted" the Cumbria area and posters who want to discuss Cumbria issues.

The threads are in our Communal Area, underneath the links to the four City-led Forums, HERE . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2254

SIX main 'Cumbria' threads have developed in our North East England Forum Communal Area.

FOUR of them are general discussion threads ('Cumbria Area Developments', 'The Nuclear Industry in Cumbria', 'Retail in Carlisle and around Cumbria' and 'Media in and for Cumbria' ) as well as ONE 'Sticky' thread, for PHOTOS, and finally ONE 'Project Thread' for a new development at Whitehaven Harbour.

The best way to find all of these threads is via the above link to the Communal Area, but below are 'direct links' to those six individual threads in the Communal Area . . .

Cumbria Area Developments
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1257809

The Nuclear Industry in the North East and Cumbria
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1574257

MEDIA in CUMBRIA - Also, How Cumbria is portrayed in the UK Media
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1624302

RETAIL - in Carlisle and around Cumbria
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1624303

PHOTOS - Rural Cumbria and Rural North East England Photography
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1507509

Whitehaven Harbour Redevelopment | Whitehaven | 4fl | Approved
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1247923

SO,

I have re-located your above question to the Cumbria Area Developments thread, which is the main 'general discussion' thread for Cumbria issues, where most of the Cumbria Posters and Forum Members post.
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #57
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Moderation of the North East England Sub-Forum

I am pleased to announce that wef today (Wednesday 26th June 2013) skyscrapercity.com have appointed a second Moderator for the North East England Sub-Forum. Some of you may have already noticed the additional name now listed at the bottom of the forum.

The new Moderator is Steve Ellwood, who many of you will know from his current and previous work on the forum, and he will be helping to manage the forum, along with me, from now on.

Please contact myself or Steve, as you have always contacted me in the past, if you require any assistance on the forum, or have any forum-related issues to discuss.

Posting on the ‘Admin Thread’ remains the simplest way to contact either of us, or you can (of course) always send us a ‘PM’ (Private Message) if you prefer.

Regards,
NH
26th June 2013.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM   #58
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I am once again trying to publicise this "Communal Area" of our North East England Sub-forum, this time nationally, and this time also specifically in relation to its use as the only CUMBRIA issues outlet on SSC.

I posted the below on the 'Forum Issues' forum yesterday, and it has already had over 150 views . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=223

Quote:
Cumbria.

For those members of SSC interested in what is happening in the Cumbria Region, and in how it is being covered on SSC, I thought the below may be of interest.

With the lack of a "North West England" Forum, Cumbria is being covered in a number of threads in the 'communal area' (as it is called) of the "North East England" Forum.

Historically, Newcastle, as well as being the Regional Capital of North East England, has strong links with the Carlisle area in the North West of England, as that region tends to get it's Media Coverage (by the BBC) from Newcastle.

The "North East and Cumbria" BBC Region has been around for a very long time . . .

Here are some external links to websites covering the "North East and Cumbria" as a REGION . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_North_East_and_Cumbria

http://www.tv-live.org.uk/wp/index.p...th-ne-cumbria/

The North East England SSC Forum Communal Area is located here, BELOW the four Internal 'City-led' forums . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2254

The North East England Forum currently includes the following Cumbria "Discussion Threads" . . .

Cumbria Area (inc.Carlisle) Developments - Areas and Subjects NOT being covered elsewhere on Skyscraper City
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1257809

MEDIA in CUMBRIA - Also, How Cumbria is 'portrayed' in the UK Media
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1624302

RETAIL - In Carlisle and around Cumbria
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1624303

PHOTOS - Rural Cumbria and Rural North East England Photography
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1507509

The Nuclear Industry in the North East and Cumbria - Issues & Developments
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1574257

The forum also currently has ONE Cumbria "Project Thread" . . .

Whitehaven Harbour Redevelopment | Whitehaven | 4fl | Approved
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1247923

My reasons posting this information on here today, are . . .

(1) - To make SSC Members aware of the extent of the Cumbria Discussions and Projects that are currently being covered on SSC (that they may not be aware of).

(2) - To let people know WHERE these discussions are taking place, within SSC.

(3) - To INVITE any SSC members interested in Cumbria to join in with these forum discussions, and to help increase the coverage that Cumbria gets on SSC.

(4) - I am fairly certain that there is more going on in Cumbria, of relevance to SSC, than is currently being covered!

Thanks,
NH.
1st October 2013.

Let's see . . . it might bring more "Cumbria Members" (who didn't know about these 'North East England Cumbria Threads') out of the woodwork

Steve Ellwood liked this post
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #59
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Well over 300 Views now.

So, while there have been no replies to my posts (from new members living in, or interested in, Cumbria) hopefully the 'word is being spread' a little bit, around SSC.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1663354
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #60
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

Well over 300 Views now.

So, while there have been no replies to my posts (from new members living in, or interested in, Cumbria) hopefully the 'word is being spread' a little bit, around SSC.

Wow, now reached nearly 500 Views

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=223

So, are there any new "Cumbria Members" on here now???

Steve Ellwood liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
admin, cumbria, forum changes, hull, newcastle, north east england, sunderland, teesside