ADMIN THREAD - Contact your Moderators here, Thread Title Change Requests, Members Suggestions, etc - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #101
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2033

MODIFICATIONS TO SOME OF THE PRE-EXISTING COPYRIGHT GUIDELINES ON THIS FORUM.

A few weeks ago two of our North East England Forum Threads were temporarily removed from our Forum and put into a ‘Quarantine Area’ (as SSC call it) as their IT warning systems had identified that there were possible breaches of Copyright within some of the posts on those two threads.

The threads were subsequently returned to us, full and intact, and no breaches of copyright were found on them. It had been a false alarm, but one that SSC had to thoroughly investigate, which they did.

While the threads were away, I took the opportunity to discuss with SSC Management (as I have done on numerous occasions previously) the best-practice guidelines for conforming with copyright requirements, within posts on the North East England Sub-forum.

As a result, there are some newly agreed guidelines that are published below, for all members to read and adhere to. Most of the below list is the same as we have always done, while some of them are a ‘strengthening’ of what we have always done, and one on the list is actually a ‘new’ guideline, that SSC Management have now decided is important.

GUIDELINES FOR QUOTED NEWS AND INFORMATION ONTO SSC, FROM NEWSPAPER AND MAGAZINE ARTICLES.

1 - We have always only allowed the copy and pasting of ‘extracts’ from the above sourced articles in Forum Posts, and have always insisted that the post contains a ‘clear link’ back to the Source Document for full reading of the article. It has now been additionally specified that the copy and pasted text should only contain approximately 70 words.

2 - To fully clarify this, from now on these posts may contain (but not exceed)

• The pasted ‘Title’ of the article.
• A pasted maximum of approximately 70 words from the article narrative. This should be enough to ensure clarity of message and for that reason it can be a summary/precis of the opening part of the article rather than just a copy of (say) the first paragraph.
• It is still considered useful to have a copy and pasted element of posts in this way, as if ‘just a link’ is posted, the link can eventually be lost/changed, thus rendering the SSC post meaningless, in the future.
• There must also always be a clear ‘link back’ directly to the source newspaper or magazine article.

3 – In the past, as part of the ‘copy and pasted’ article content in SSC posts, on many occasions we have included an ‘image/photo’ from the source article. I personally saw this as beneficial (“a picture tells a thousand words”) as it helped re-create the article being quoted, and encouraged interest in the content provided. It also often encouraged people to go on to ‘click the link’ back to the original source publication, to everyone’s benefit.

Forthwith, this is no longer allowed. Images from these articles are NOT to be copied and pasted into posts here on SSC. This is the ‘new’ aspect of these guidelines that I mentioned earlier.

4 – Please also note that the above points 1 to 3 also apply when you “quote” (in a new post you are making) a previous members post that contains an extract from a newspaper or magazine article that (if made prior to today) may not have fully complied with these guidelines. You can still use a quote of that earlier post, but please remember to remove any images and trim the narrative down (if needed) to the required sizes outlined above.

5 – Here is a link to an example of a quote of an extract from a newspaper article, that illustrates a suggested format that complies with all SSC copyright (fair use) requirements. I submitted this actual example to SSC Management, who confirmed that it fully met fair use requirements. See link below . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=526

QUOTED NEWS AND INFORMATION ONTO SSC, DIRECTLY FROM ‘PRESS RELEASES’ BY ORGANISATIONS.

1 – The previously explained guidelines (for newspaper and magazine articles) are intended to maintain ‘fair use’ of such information on SSC, as this type content (information/news) is seen as originally being created by the content-owner to attract readers and to also make money through related advertising. Hence, that content is commercial and should be quoted as stipulated in the guidelines.

2 - However we can get a lot of similar information direct from ‘Press Releases’, and they are not the same as published media, as they were created with the specific intention of informing people about a subject as widely as possible, and re-posting them here on SSC only helps to further spread this news.

3 - Consequently, the above guidelines do not apply to such releases, though it should be noted that 'links back' should always be provided to any Press Release quoted. Also, it should be noted that I am only referring to 'directly obtained and quoted' releases, NOT to any that you may wish to quote from any already-published newspaper article. In the latter situation the previously stipulated newspaper and magazine guidelines fully apply.

4 - A recent example of the use in an SSC post, of a directly quoted Press Release, can be seen below . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3092

FINALLY.

If you have any questions about any of the above, please contact your Forum Moderators, either on your Admin Thread in the normal way, or by PM.

denm liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2018, 12:13 AM   #102
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Missing Forum Features

Some of you may have noticed that a whole list of things that we normally have (including PMs, User Profiles, etc, etc) are missing from the Forum at present.

These have all been reported and the SSC (new) Admin Team are dealing with them.

We are not sure when this will be though.
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:56 AM   #103
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Some of you may have noticed that a whole list of things that we normally have (including PMs, User Profiles, etc, etc) are missing from the Forum at present.

These have all been reported and the SSC (new) Admin Team are dealing with them.

We are not sure when this will be though.

Took a while, but all is now fixed.

denm liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2018, 01:23 AM   #104
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Nine years later . . .

It is perhaps difficult to remember that only nine years ago to this very day, we were celebrating the opening of our new SkyscraperCity (SSC) “North East England Sub-Forum". Some of our newer members may not even be aware of this event at all, as to them, we have always been here like this.

It was on 14th October 2009 that those of us who were members back then saw the realisation of a lot of hard work, over a long period of time by local members of SkyscraperCity from all around our region, to achieve our own forum. Previously we had been restricted largely to “one single thread” in the Projects & Construction area of SSC, for each of the local North East regions around Newcastle, Hull, Sunderland and Middlesbrough.

These ‘single threads’ had proved very difficult to discuss anything in depth on, as no sooner had a discussion started on a topic or project, then someone started to discuss something else. One thread was proving ‘impossible’ as the number of members continued to increase.

Initially, SSC felt that (despite the increased numbers participating) there were still nowhere near enough members (or perceived ‘construction activities’) for North East England to merit is own forum. A Business Case was made to them explaining that there was a lot of urban activity in this area and that if we had a forum with independent subject-based threads, the number of members would be likely to increase very rapidly indeed.

They finally agreed, and on 14th October 2009 we opened.

New individual subject and project threads were started, by pulling out many pre-existing posts from the confusing discussions on the ‘single threads’, and our membership absolutely boomed !!

Have a quick look now at the ‘Projects & Construction’ area of SSC (where the Regional Forums are based) and you will see just how successful we have been. This is not just numerically speaking either (threads and post numbers) as SSC Management have acknowledged to me in the past that we on this forum have absolutely “led the way” in the SSC world, by our innovative use of our forum as a kind of ‘social urban venue’ (many threads dedicated to different aspects of urban life) rather than just the basic ‘urban construction projects’ that SSC covered previously, though we have a lot of those too as our respective Development Summary Threads reveal.

We have, in these nine years, passed many and varying milestones on this sub-forum, and you can see details of many of them, by clicking this link and scrolling down the page until you reach the section on “SkyscraperCity – Key Milestones and Statistics” . . . https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...1&postcount=57

So, all in all, our first nine years have been an ever increasing, success, and it now seems light years ago since Chris (bigchrisfgb) posted . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
14th October 2009.
This is just to say Welcome, and Thank You, to all of who have worked so hard for this, to those who have supported those who have worked so hard for this, also Thank You, so to all those who will transfer here from the Newcastle, Sunderland, Teeside and Hull individual threads, we welcome you. And of course to those who will be new on here in the future, we will also welcome you.
As Chris foretold, it is you, the members, who have made this forum the continued success that it is, so thanks go to everyone for their quality contributions.

Our 9th Anniversary (today) is an important occasion, but next year will be our 10th Anniversary . . . so perhaps we could start thinking about what we can do (as a forum) to mark that particular ten year milestone? I would love to hear members thoughts and ideas about this. It is probably never too early to start thinking about it, as I’m sure that the next twelve months will go past in a flash!!

Regards,
NH ( on behalf of your Moderating Team)
14th October 2018.

denm liked this post
Old October 19th, 2018, 10:40 PM   #105
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

Likes (Received): 127

Hi.

Anyone else having issues getting onto the Newcastle Forum?
Rijowhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 04:58 AM   #106
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijowhi View Post
Hi.

Anyone else having issues getting onto the Newcastle Forum?

I'm not aware of any problems.

Lots of new posts have been made on there over the last few days, since your post.

Are you still having problems?
Old October 21st, 2018, 09:14 AM   #107
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

Yes, I've not been able to access at all via the App.
Old October 21st, 2018, 07:28 PM   #108
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijowhi View Post
Yes, I've not been able to access at all via the App.

I am not aware (centrally) of any reported problems with the App.

I will now copy your 'issue' (in these posts) into the Admin Thread on the Newcastle Forum itself, where more members will read it. I know that some members on the Newcastle Forum, while they normally access SkyscraperCity by other means, sometimes use the App.

Either access the Newcastle Forum via other means, to see if there are any similar problems reported or any solutions presented there, on the Newcastle Admin Thread. If you cannot do that, let me know here, and I will report any results back to you on this thread.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 09:17 AM   #109
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

OK. Thank you for your reply. Will try on the Computer to see if I can access the Newcastle Forum via there.
Old December 21st, 2018, 07:47 PM   #110
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Merry Christmas 2018 and a Happy New Year for 2019, to all members of our Forum !!

Not long till the big day now, so I thought it was time that I wished everyone on this forum a Merry Christmas.

This has been yet another enjoyable year for us here on the SkyscraperCity North East England Sub-Forum. As I said last year, we just keep on getting so many great posts and unique photos (not seen anywhere else) from so many members, and this year has been no different.

I always look forward to logging in to the forum, and I am never disappointed with what I get to see and read, so here's to "more of the same" next year.

To all our members, and your friends and families, I hope you have a great Christmas and I look forward to sharing the forum with you all again next year.

This image sort of 'reminds me' of Christmas in times gone by . . .

Cheers,
NH
Forum Moderator

denm liked this post
Old August 12th, 2019, 03:40 PM   #111
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Our 10th Anniversary (2009-2019).

Hi All,

On the 14th October this year (only two months away) our Forum celebrates its 10th Anniversary.

We discuss our anniversary every year on 14th October, but this year is something special, I think . . .

Members have already contacted me about this, suggesting a possible "meet-up" somewhere, or perhaps a "SkyscraperCity Banner".

The Banner seems a good idea, we did this for our 5th Anniversary, after the 'Hull and Humber' Sub-Forum came up with the idea originally. We certainly could do this again.

What do you think?

Any photographers with suitable photos for a Banner?

Any other ideas?

The next two months will pass by very quickly, so we need to get our thoughts together soon.

Also, any 'Banner' (if we do that) needs to be submitted centrally to SSC management as soon as possible, if we are to book our preferred date. Please also see the below note from Jan about Banners and Banner Sizes, etc . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Okay, if you have an idea for a banner, please post 'm here. Read the following first:

requirements

- in general, the goal is not to have your city up there at all costs, we only want quality images related to the topics of discussion,
- check the banner archives first to see how many times your city or country has been up there. Be reasonable about this. Don't expect your place to be up there every other month,
- banner must be 719 pixels wide and 123 pixels height, dpi of 72,
- no text marking, flag waving, logo's or anything else other than the image itself,
- feel free to be creative, but please no banners made of multiple images pasted next to each other,
- if the banner is tied to a specific date, please post it at least one week in advance. Reserving dates is not possible, as I don't use a calender to keep track of these.

required info
- name of the source of the image
- link to the source
- info on what we are seeing.

Sorry to be a piss about rules, but please comply to these. Okay now send us up great banners. Thanks!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 13th, 2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old August 20th, 2019, 12:36 AM   #112
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Our 10th Anniversary - 14th October 2019

Thankyou all for your various ideas and submissions as to how to mark our 10th Anniversary as a SkyscraperCity Forum.

It seems like a "Banner" is our preferred choice for this.

The actual date of our 10th Anniversary is 14th October, and I have received the following assurance from SkyscraperCity Management, in the form of Jan . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan

Hi NH,

As far as I am concerned, 14th October 2019 belongs to you guys, so feel free to stick up any image you want!

Cheers,
- Jan
Now, there have been a number of excellent suggestions for the Banner, but the one that seems to be the best, was suggested by Denm, of the Sunderland and Durham Sub-forum. Take a bow Mr Denm, your idea of a 'montage' of our four sub-forums magnificent bridges is the one that Jan has approved, as shown above.

This is quite a BIG thing for SSC to approve, as they have previously firmly held the view that they did NOT want the Banner to be a montage of images.

So, this is our opportunity to break new ground, and so we need to get it right. The basic banner rules about copyright remain in place, except (for us) this is x4, as it will be for all four images.

Now, I need the help of the best photographers on our four forums to come up with your own best images of our bridges (if the photos are your own, that avoids copyright problems) and then to somehow combine the 4 'quite small' images into a high quality montage, that also conforms to the 'size requirements' for the overall banner, as outlined by Jan in my post just above here.

The bridges that have been proposed from each of our four sub-forums, are . . .

Hull and Humber Forum - The Humber Bridge
Sunderland and Durham Forum - Northern Spire Bridge
Newcastle Metro Area Forum - Tyne Bridge
Teesside Forum - Transporter Bridge

ALL of them fantastic bridges, in great settings.

OK, so this is where I need help from you photographers, on each sub-forum.

Can interested members please get back to me on this, by PM if preferred, to discuss things?

Many Thanks,
NH.

denm liked this post
Old September 25th, 2019, 12:16 AM   #113
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Our 10th Anniversary as a Skyscraper City Forum - 14th October 2019.

Thankyou everyone who submitted or suggested photos to use for a suggested "Banner" to celebrate and commemorate the above anniversary.

The Iconic Bridges of North East England Banner, has now been approved by SSC, and will be in place on our 10th anniversary date of 14th October.

Here is a preview of the Banner, reduced to the required image size to fit at the top of the SSC page.

This montage banner (which SSC do not normally use) represents all of the North East England Forum's 4 Sub-forums, via our fantastic bridges.

The Banner, going from left to right in a south to north order, contains . . .

Hull and Humber Forum - The Humber Bridge.
Teesside Forum - The Transporter Bridge.
Sunderland and Durham Forum - The Northern Spire Bridge.
Newcastle Metro Area Forum - The Millennium Bridge and The Tyne Bridge.

Once again, thanks to all who contributed.

NH.
Old September 28th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #114
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

What is all the fuss about?

I can understand that some members of this forum might wonder why all the "fuss" about our 10th Anniversary.

After all, to many, it has ALWAYS been this way. The forum has always been here, just like it is now!

BUT, to those of us who used to have to exist in the 'Projects & Construction' area of SkyscraperCity, with just "one single thread" to cover EVERYTHING, then the arrival of our own forum on 14th October 2009 will always be something special, very special.

Without repeating too much detail of the very long campaign that it took to get us our own forum, here in this post, I will just refer people to the five threads that are now nestled away at the very bottom of our 'Communal Area', the area beneath the links to the four City-led Sub Forums of our North East England Forum . . .

Quote:
Need for North East England's own sub-forum?
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=638039
Welcome to the North East England sub-forum
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=980724
Petition for Newcastle & Gateshead sub-forum
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=824346
What Conditions are required to set up a sub-forum
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1701317
Why not a North East England sub-forum?
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=704524
Have a look, they all help tell the story as to why our 10th Anniversary is an important occasion to celebrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
admin, cumbria, forum changes, hull, newcastle, north east england, sunderland, teesside