Whitehaven Harbour Redevelopment | Whitehaven | 4fl | Approved - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #21
crisby

Likes (Received): 0

The proposal now has planning permission. It was voted down by one vote last month, but any decision that goes against officer recommendation has to be reconsidered. Having been advised of their chances (and the chance of costs being awarded) if the application went to appeal, some of the members changed their minds.

There is some ill-informed comment here.
(1)To say the application went through 'on the sly' is a cheap shot. First, you can't do that in the English planning system, all applications have to be advertised; second, it got extensive publicity in the local press.
(2) The competition was judged by a jury including architects and Council reps. One of the reasons this design won was that it stacked up commercially - not all of them did.
(3) The Whitehaven harbourside is not 'well preserved' - almost all of it is modern, including several pastiche 'Georgian' and 'Victorian' buildings, some of which are getting a bit tatty even though only 25 years old. Look at old photos of when it was a coal port if you don't believe me.
(4) Criticism of Magnus Homes and Pear House is valid, but at least give them credit for submitting to the idea of a competition, which got a lot of very good architects looking at the town for once, even if you don't like the result.

PS I don't like it either.
crisby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #22
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 573

As you say, all applications have to be advertised, but was this the case here? The council is supposed to post notices around the site when planning permission is sought. As I mentioned previously, I found no evidence of such a notice as late as July, and any attempts to find the application online proved fruitless. You don't mention if you were aware of the application being submitted. Did you see any planning notices around the site?

Your second point only echoes what I have said i.e. the most commercially viable option was successful. It didn't matter which of the options was actually voted for in the consultation, Magnus have declared the cheapest, most profitable design to be the 'winner'. Give them credit? It makes an absolute mockery of the idea of public consultation. Obviously, I have no proof that the public vote was ignored, other than the fact that the winning design is so ridiculous I find it inconceivable that it was more popular than the other designs.

I smell a rat, but I need to choose my words very carefully. All I will say is that the council have absolutely betrayed Whitehaven by letting this horrible development go ahead.
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #23
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2042

Is there any news on when this development will start?

I don't know if there is anyone living near enough to take any photos of progress, ideally starting with some "as now / pre-development" photos?
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 573

TBH I've lost contact with the area and know very little. This is how the site looked the last time I was there:

Old July 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #25
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 657

I live in Whitehaven and can help you out.

Work is due to start soon (but no guarantees given) on demolishing Mark House, the sixties office block, and most of what was the swimming baths (later The Park Nightclub) to replace them with this apartment development.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 19th, 2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Rest of post moved to "Cumbria Developments" thread.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #26
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Is there any news on when this development will start?

I don't know if there is anyone living near enough to take any photos of progress, ideally starting with some "as now / pre-development" photos?

Still no sign of a start, I assume?
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Still no sign of a start, I assume?
Unfortunately not, but at least that real eyesore- the former bus garage- was demolished last year.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2018, 01:26 AM   #28
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
November 1st 2010.

The Whitehaven News ran a story about the £10m redevelopment of the Whitehaven waterfront to replace Mark House offices and The Park nighclub based in a former sandstone swimming baths. Developers Magnus Homes has held a competition (with 139 entrants from all over the world) to design the scheme. These have been narrowed down to 5 designs which will be displayed between Nov 6-12 with public views invited.

Here is a brief description of the 5 schemes from the Whitehaven News (who did not list the architects responsible for each design)

Scheme 4:
demolition of old swimming baths, cluster of appartments in seperate buildingsof different heights with ground floor office accomodation

Scheme 20:
Retains baths, extends sandstone as plinth with appartments above

Scheme 66:
Retains baths as entrance to offices. Covered walkway on strand street

Scheme 69:
Retains baths, roof level rises towards Pears House at one end. Also has a walkway onto strand street

Scheme 77:
Retains baths and uses similar 'sandstone coloured material'. Offices on strand street with walkway.

Original press release 14/07/2010:

Designs sought for £10m harbour plan
By Alan Cleaver
http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/new...th=home/2.2837

A COMPETITION has been launched to design a £10million luxury apartment and office development on the site of Mark House and the former Park nightclub in Whitehaven.
The Mark House part of the siteBritain’s Energy Coast West Cumbria and Magnus Homes has launched the International Open Design competition for the sensitive harbourside site.

The competition is being organised by the Royal Institute of British Architects with the support of Places Matter!, the architecture centre for the Northwest. A RIBA spokesman said: “The winning scheme for luxury residential apartments and office accommodation will need to set a benchmark for creative, contextual design and achieve a sustainable development of long-lasting architectural quality.” Sherrie Robinson, project manager for Britain’s Energy Coast West Cumbria, said: “Whitehaven is a Georgian gem which boasts superb architecture and unique character. The development of the town and harbourside is a key element of the Britain’s Energy Coast regeneration initiative, and we will be looking for designs that demonstrate the town’s ambitions for the future while at the same time being sympathetic to its rich heritage.”

The submissions will be put on display and themes arising from the exhibition will be made available to the judging panel, which will consist of representatives from Energy Coast West Cumbria, Copeland Council, Magnus Homes, RIBA, Places Matter! and the Harbour Commissioners. Teams are being asked to design a mixed-use development of luxury apartments and offices. The competition is open internationally to architect-led design teams, as well as architectural students.

Further details from www.riba-whitehavencentralsite.org.uk
Many years on, does anyone know if there is any sign of this specific project coming to fruition?

Or, has it been cancelled?

denm liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2019, 09:56 PM   #29
madannie
The loony on the Bus

Likes (Received): 1163

Whilst looking for something else wrt Whitehaven I came across the BEC North Shore website which details plans for Whitehaven. Amongst the proposals are a 5 storey office building on the site of Mark House, so I guess that the redevelopment discussed in this thread is well and truly dead.

Mark House has been demolished and, according to the North Shore website (from December 2018) the site is being used as a car park until the office block is developed.

I really must get myself down to the west coast of Cumbria to see what is going on; it has been far too long since I was down that way.

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 06:51 PM   #30
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madannie View Post
Whilst looking for something else wrt Whitehaven I came across the BEC North Shore website which details plans for Whitehaven. Amongst the proposals are a 5 storey office building on the site of Mark House, so I guess that the redevelopment discussed in this thread is well and truly dead.

Mark House has been demolished and, according to the North Shore website (from December 2018) the site is being used as a car park until the office block is developed.

I really must get myself down to the west coast of Cumbria to see what is going on; it has been far too long since I was down that way.

Thanks madannie,

As you say, the original proposals are not going to happen, but as this Project Thread Title is "Whitehaven Harbour Redevelopment", and as it was always about what was to replace Mark House (the new housing originally) it seems logical to continue the thread to cover the new Office Block that will instead replace Mark House.

What do you think?
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:40 PM   #31
madannie
The loony on the Bus

Likes (Received): 1163

Given the title of the thread it seems reasonable to me for it to be continued, as what BEC are proposing certainly fits the description of the redevelopment of Mark House & environs.

Madannie's Tram Photos

Newcastle Historian liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cumbria, north east england, north west england, project, project - north east area, projects