THE LAKE DISTRICT - Photos, Stories and Memories of one of our regions most beautiful areas - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 13th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #41
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

I haven't been up Latrigg for several years and won't be in the near future due to the dodgy ankle, but this sounds like a great incentive to me. All profits from the venture go to charity.

From the News and Star

"Experience an outdoor cafe with a difference this Easter



A cafe with a difference will be open for business on Easter Sunday.

The Rotary Club of Bassenthwaite will set up its Felltop Cafe on the top of Latrigg, near Keswick.

Customers will be offered hot Cumberland sausage rolls, hot, bacon rolls, fried egg rolls as well as cakes and both hot and cold drinks, from 10.30am.

Latrigg offers views across Derwentwater and into the surrounding fells.

From Keswick the walking distance is about a mile-and-a-half each way, The path is steep, but suitable for families."


Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/la...4e0cfbe06c4-ds
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #42
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609



Yes I agree,--this sounds a good idea,---and proceeds going to charity,--great,

and as for Latrigg and other areas--it's a very long time since we have been to Keswick on Holiday,---but we used to go to the tops of these,---we are knackerd now like --and just thinking of going up top--gives me aches.---cheers.
__________________

madannie liked this post
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #43
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

The fell top cafe apparently went down well, despite some rather inclement weather in the morning:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Wa...de4779c51d7-ds
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #44
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

From the News and Star

"Row erupts over plans for 65-space car park beside Cumbrian fell



A Lake District protection charity has criticised plans for a car park at the foot of one Cumbria's most iconic fells.

The Friends of the Lake District says the proposals for a 65-space facility at Cupboard Field, near Catbells, would bring more vehicles to the area - something that it says should be discouraged.

The proposals have been submitted to the Lake District National Park Authority by The Lingholm Private Trust Limited.

A design and access statement prepared by Penrith-based Lewis Surveying Associates on their behalf, says the application is driven by "the need to address traffic congestion and illegal parking at one of the Lake District’s most popular tourist destinations".

The application has been supported by Borrowdale parish council, which says that a three-year pilot project has been successful."


Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Ro...91c64754b0c-ds
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:24 AM   #45
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by madannie View Post
From the News and Star

"Row erupts over plans for 65-space car park beside Cumbrian fell



A Lake District protection charity has criticised plans for a car park at the foot of one Cumbria's most iconic fells.

The Friends of the Lake District says the proposals for a 65-space facility at Cupboard Field, near Catbells, would bring more vehicles to the area - something that it says should be discouraged.

The proposals have been submitted to the Lake District National Park Authority by The Lingholm Private Trust Limited.

A design and access statement prepared by Penrith-based Lewis Surveying Associates on their behalf, says the application is driven by "the need to address traffic congestion and illegal parking at one of the Lake District’s most popular tourist destinations".

The application has been supported by Borrowdale parish council, which says that a three-year pilot project has been successful."


Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Ro...91c64754b0c-ds
Can see both sides of this,--I can understand people not wanting more traffic--but I also can see the view that the illegal parking at road sides can be dangerous,---will be interesting to see how things pan out,--btw,--what a stunning photo that is in the article,--cheers.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #46
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

Think this is the best thread for this article,---

these are stunning and beautiful photos,---


This from the News & Star,--

Incredible images of Northern Lights captured by photographer in Cumbria



THESE fantastic pictures of the Northern Lights were taken in Cumbria over the weekend.

The amazing photographers were taken by Mark McNeill, the owner of HAPPY DAYS PHOTOGRAPHY based in Preston.

Mr McNeil took the pictures from Blencathra and Castlerigg Stone Circle near Keswick.


Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/In...e4ee1402a76-ds
__________________

madannie liked this post
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 11:22 AM   #47
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

This from the News & Star,--

Spectacular scene as hundreds light up Lakes to help earthquake victims




Spectacular scene as hundreds light up Lakes to help earthquake victims

The Lakeland Festival of Light above Braithwaite. Picture: Tom McNally

More than 650 people created a spectacular sight as they lit up a pocket of the Lake District to support earthquake victims in Nepal.

Just a few days after the second anniversary of the disaster, crowds descended for on Braithwaite for the Lakeland Festival of Light.

The festival, organised by Matt Le Voi of Lakeland Mountain Guides, was designed to raise vital funds for those still struggling to recover in Nepal

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Sp...3270adf1a6c-ds
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #48
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

Good news from Glenridding. I used to walk around these parts a lot (thanks to a through bus from Carlisle to Patterdale on Sundays) but I haven't been for quite some time. I really must get fit and active again to remind myself how beautiful it is around Ullswater.

From the Westmorland Gazette


"New look visitor centre at Glenridding set to re-open following £210,000 refurbishment



A NEW-look Lake District National Park Ullswater centre at Glenridding is set to re-open fully following a £210,000 refurbishment.

The shop opened ahead of the Bank Holiday but a new facility called Helvellyn Basecamp – a flexible meeting room space available for hire - is due to launch following a drop-in day next Wednesday.

The centre has been closed since it suffered significant structural damage in Storm Desmond.

A spokesperson for the Lake District National Park Authority said the idea for Helvellyn Basecamp was borne out of discussions with local adventure businesses about how to bring an innovative dimension to the centre."


Full story at http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....refurbishment/
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #49
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609



What a beautiful view that is,---then again most areas of the Lakes are beautiful,---it's been quite a number of years since Mrs and myself have been,--we used to do a little walking--but can't now,--but we have some great memories of the beautiful Lake District,--Happy Days,---cheers.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #50
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post


What a beautiful view that is,---then again most areas of the Lakes are beautiful,---it's been quite a number of years since Mrs and myself have been,--we used to do a little walking--but can't now,--but we have some great memories of the beautiful Lake District,--Happy Days,---cheers.
And prompted by that photo I discover that 15 years ago I took a similar shot from Place Fell looking down on Glenridding with Helvellyn &c in the background. If only I was fit enough to get up there again.

At least I too have the memories and photos of some amazing days in and on the fells from when I was younger and fitter.
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #51
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

Ooops! Some bad parking here.

Not great news for the inhabitants of and visitors to Grange in Borrowdale if the bridge is to be closed for up to a month, as the only other road access to Grange is by the narrow lane from Portinscale or Braithwaite which runs under Catbells.

Probably more problematic for businesses in the village would be closure to pedestrians, as a lot of visitors to Grange use the "main road" bus route 78 and walk over the bridge to the village.

From the News and Star:

"Bus crash closes vital bridge link



A BRIDGE connecting two parts of a Lake District valley could be closed for the rest of the month following a bus crash.

The accident happened on Friday afternoon at the bridge connecting Borrowdale and Grange, near Keswick.

The Stagecoach service bus somehow left the road and ended up perched on top of the wall, causing extensive damage.

Passengers were on board at the time but it is believed both they and the driver escaped without injury.

The bridge, which provides a vital link for locals and tourists, has been closed to both traffic and pedestrians all weekend as a result.

Now, Cumbria Police have been told by Cumbria County Council that it could remain shut until May 27 for emergency repairs.

Businesses in the area are worried about the impact of a long term closure, saying it has already hit trade."


Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/la...db8780f3bee-ds

The second picture in the News & STar report looks a bit alarming to me, with not much of a wall between the bus and the river bed.

Should anyone be wondering, the bus is Stagecoach 47721, a narrow bodied Optare Solo bought specifically for the Honister Rambler bus route 77 & 77A. (I could ramble on some more about the bus and the bus route but that would just confirm why I am the Loony on the Bus )
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post

Last edited by madannie; May 7th, 2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: more waffle added
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #52
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

Lake District named as one of the best British sights



THE Lake District has been named as one of the ‘Best British Sights’ in a nationwide poll by the UK’s largest self-catering cottage holiday company, cottages.com.

The research into the nation’s most-loved sights and traditions revealed that the Lake District holds a special place in Britons’ hearts, being the people’s second-favourite sight in the country. Coming only after Stonehenge, the National Park came ahead of countless sights and attractions including Ben Nevis and the White Cliffs of Dover to be named one of the favoured sights.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....ritish_sights/
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #53
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

This from the Westmorland Gazette,---

Lakes B&B is England's best



A LAKE District B&B has been named the best Guest Accommodation of the Year for England at a major industry awards ceremony.

Susan and Peter Robinson, custodians of ‘Nanny Brow’ in Ambleside, said they were 'deeply honoured' after coming up trumps at the AA B&B Awards 2017 at the London Landmark Hotel.

Since 2009, Susan and her family have worked tirelessly to create an establishment that fully reflects their desire to create a luxurious and peaceful location in the heart of the Lake District.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....d__39_s_best/#
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #54
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

This from the Westmorland Gazette,---

Lake District beauty spot is UK's 8th most Instagrammed attraction



A LAKE District beauty spot has been named in the top 15 most Instagrammed tourist attractions in the UK.

Beating the likes of York Minster and the Angel of the North, Windermere came out at number eight in the list, compiled by online travel agency TravelBird.

By analysing the most 'tagged' attractions on photo-sharing app Instagram, TravelBird found Windermere had been mentioned 215,064 times.

That made it the second-most tagged attraction in the north west, behind Anfield stadium in Liverpool.

Unsurprisingly, the two most popular locations in the country were in London, with Big Ben receiving a massive 2,561,617 tags. Buckingham Palace was second with 586,990.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....ed_attraction/
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #55
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

This from the Westmorland Gazette,---

Ullswater Way has "exceeded expectations" one year on from its opening



A PROJECT to establish a walking route in one of the Lake District’s most spectacular valleys is celebrating the first year.

The Ullswater Way was opened 12 months ago and those behind the project say it has "exceeded expectations" and has the potential to become one of the national park’s most loved and respected classic routes.

“The enthusiasm with which locals and visitors alike have embraced the Ullswater Way has exceeded all our expectations," said Heather James, the chair of the Ullswater Association. “You get the feeling people have taken it to their hearts and already regard it with great affection.”

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....m_its_opening/
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #56
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

Grange Bridge has re-opened earlier than the original estimate.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/La...ad03b098ae9-ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by madannie View Post
Ooops! Some bad parking here.

Not great news for the inhabitants of and visitors to Grange in Borrowdale if the bridge is to be closed for up to a month, as the only other road access to Grange is by the narrow lane from Portinscale or Braithwaite which runs under Catbells.

Probably more problematic for businesses in the village would be closure to pedestrians, as a lot of visitors to Grange use the "main road" bus route 78 and walk over the bridge to the village.

From the News and Star:

"Bus crash closes vital bridge link



A BRIDGE connecting two parts of a Lake District valley could be closed for the rest of the month following a bus crash.

The accident happened on Friday afternoon at the bridge connecting Borrowdale and Grange, near Keswick.

The Stagecoach service bus somehow left the road and ended up perched on top of the wall, causing extensive damage.

Passengers were on board at the time but it is believed both they and the driver escaped without injury.

The bridge, which provides a vital link for locals and tourists, has been closed to both traffic and pedestrians all weekend as a result.

Now, Cumbria Police have been told by Cumbria County Council that it could remain shut until May 27 for emergency repairs.

Businesses in the area are worried about the impact of a long term closure, saying it has already hit trade."


Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/la...db8780f3bee-ds

The second picture in the News & STar report looks a bit alarming to me, with not much of a wall between the bus and the river bed.

Should anyone be wondering, the bus is Stagecoach 47721, a narrow bodied Optare Solo bought specifically for the Honister Rambler bus route 77 & 77A. (I could ramble on some more about the bus and the bus route but that would just confirm why I am the Loony on the Bus )
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #57
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

WALK: step out to spectacular summits of the Howgills



LOOKING like a herd of sleeping elephants (according to Mr Wainwright) the Howgill hills are large and rounded, writes JOHN EDMONDSON. This challenging walk visits six of their summits. It’s a linear walk from Cautley to Sedbergh and makes use of the Western Dales Community bus service. The walk begins with a steep climb to the summit of Yarlside but after that it is relatively easy going.

From May to September the bus to Cautley goes from the Dalesman Country Inn, Sedbergh at 11.15am on Sundays and 9.45am on Fridays. The walk starts from the Cross Keys Inn at Cautley (grid reference SD 698 969, postcode LA10 5NE).

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....?ref=mr&lp=15#
__________________

madannie liked this post
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #58
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 1163

Good to see the Howgills getting a plug. Although not as spectacular as some of the Lake District fells they still afford splendid views and (usually) dry conditions underfoot. They are also a lot emptier.

Also good to see the use of a bus service promoted. When I was out walking I tried to use public transport as much as possible, although that was quite easy in the Lake District. Not so easy elsewhere, unfortunately.
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #59
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by madannie View Post
Good to see the Howgills getting a plug. Although not as spectacular as some of the Lake District fells they still afford splendid views and (usually) dry conditions underfoot. They are also a lot emptier.

Also good to see the use of a bus service promoted. When I was out walking I tried to use public transport as much as possible, although that was quite easy in the Lake District. Not so easy elsewhere, unfortunately.
Yeah I agree,---and there are some fantastic views,---if only we could do some hiking again,--cheers.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #60
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,861
Likes (Received): 2609

This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

Heritage bid not good for Lakes, says conservationist



CONTROVERSIAL conservationist George Monbiot has launched a broadside at the bid for the Lake District to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Describing the national park as 'sheep wrecked', the writer and activist heavily criticised the thinking behind the bid, which is being masterminded by the National Park Partnership, which includes the Lake District National Park Authority and the National Trust.

He claims that only the farming community will benefit from the national park gaining the status, as it would simply preserve their right to continue farming in the way they do.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....nservationist/
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
cumbria, english lakes, lake district, lakes, north east england, north west england, photos, the lake district

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us