#Cape Town International Airport - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #61
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
Mo, believe it is... as far as I know, ACSA's plan is to do so, connected to the landside terminal with underground tunnels beneath the apron. I'm always opposed to a parallel configuration of terminals and more in favour of "gate piers", it's just a pity SA's airports were originally designed in this way (due to us not having much air traffic up until recently). With piers, the walking distance is minimised between gates and the landside, yet cotact area with the airside of the terminal is increased. But, hey... with what CT has got and what we're getting soon, I'm still impressed.
Yes it is impressive. I'm quite sceptical about the city-airport rail link. I wish those responsible for funding it realize how important it is.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #62
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Yes it is impressive. I'm quite sceptical about the city-airport rail link. I wish those responsible for funding it realize how important it is.
Want me to call Helen... Ha ha... actually, I've made the mistake of giving my phone to friends on drunken evenings who drink and dial... I see "calls made" next day with her number, followed by my scream... "aaarggghhh!" I wish they would build that though... public transit to CT International is of paramount importance. Metrorail? They're incompetent!
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #63
Mo Rush

Quote:
Want me to call Helen... Ha ha... actually, I've made the mistake of giving my phone to friends on drunken evenings who drink and dial... I see "calls made" next day with her number, followed by my scream... "aaarggghhh!" I wish they would build that though... public transit to CT International is of paramount importance. Metrorail? They're incompetent!
Well my uncle actually did the costing for the airport-city rail link and the city/province/metro rail are in denial about the cost. They throw around estimates of R400 million while it will actually cost R1.5 billion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #64
annman
Annman

Quote:
Well my uncle actually did the costing for the airport-city rail link and the city/province/metro rail are in denial about the cost. They throw around estimates of R400 million while it will actually cost R1.5 billion.
Yet another "aaarrrggghhh!" from me... that's more than ACSAs budget for the expansion... Chances of that happening by 2010...
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #65
Mo Rush

Quote:
Yet another "aaarrrggghhh!" from me... that's more than ACSAs budget for the expansion... Chances of that happening by 2010...
National treasury should donate some money. There has been interest from private operators.
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #66
annman
Annman

Just in case someone doesn't check out the main SA Aviation thread, CPT Int'l is finally getting reconnected with North America via Delta and NYC's JFK next year! Check out the main thread...
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #67
waltjie

Quote:
National treasury should donate some money. There has been interest from private operators.
Nothing left... we using it all for Gautrain

Johannesburg - An African Class World City!
waltjie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #68
annman
Annman

Bad Gautie... Don't tease us... else remember... Mo will blow up OR Tambo International in an act of Capie-"tjou ma se se lughawe" terror!
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #69
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

FlyGlobespan have axed there twice weekly flight between Manchester and Cape Town, apparently its due to poor loads and advanced bookings.

This is just one of about 20 routes they have axed from all over England.

Hopefully this will teach FlyGlobespan to stop stupidly expanding from English airports where they are Totally unheard off.

Fingers crossed they will replace the Manchester service with a twice weekly flight, or better to there main hub, Glasgow International Airport.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #70
annman
Annman

My friend from Glasgow uses Globespan all the time, think the Scots are more loyal to that airline than the English are it seems... it's a pity for us, but hopefully we'll see them hub more of their flights out of Scotland and perhaps connect you guys to us. Prefer Scots to English anyday... more fun, outgoing and less stuck up! He he :-)
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #71
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
My friend from Glasgow uses Globespan all the time, think the Scots are more loyal to that airline than the English are it seems
Indeed, in May this year FlyGlobespan launched flights from 9 English airports without doing any advertising, so quite how they expected to fill all these flights is anyone’s guess.

FlyGlobespan are huge in Scotland, ask anyone to name an airline and 9 times out of 10 they will say FlyGlobespan.

Quote:
it's a pity for us, but hopefully we'll see them hub more of their flights out of Scotland and perhaps connect you guys to us.
Indeed, it would be great for Glasgow and indeed Scotland as a whole if FlyGlobespan were to launch a GLA-CPT route. There is huge demand of this service, it must just be a matter of time before they do it, they did promise Glasgow to Cape Town a few years ago, but then they launched it from Manchester.

Quote:
Prefer Scots to English anyday... more fun, outgoing and less stuck up! He he :-)
He he, well I cant disagree with that

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #72
annman
Annman

Get the Scots together and lobby the airline so that they know there's a demand for it! Much more convenient for you not having to deal with the zoo that is Heathrow to get here.
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #73
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Get the Scots together and lobby the airline so that they know there's a demand for it! Much more convenient for you not having to deal with the zoo that is Heathrow to get here.
FlyGlobespan know there is demand, its just a mystery why they have yet to announce this route.

Your right about LHR, hell on earth lol. Most people I know who travel frequently to South Africa go with KLM via AMS.

Old September 28th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #74
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 2543

and shortly you will be able to do Emirates from Glasgow to CT, Joburg and Durban, that'll be great
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #75
Mo Rush

image hosted on flickr
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #76
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
and shortly you will be able to do Emirates from Glasgow to CT, Joburg and Durban, that'll be great
I knew Emirates done Joburg but I didnt realise they flew to Cape Town and Durban, are these new routes?

Old October 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #77
Umhlanga
Umhlanga

Likes (Received): 0

They're rumoured routes. Nothing official yet for either CPT or DUR.
Umhlanga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #78
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umhlanga View Post
They're rumoured routes. Nothing official yet for either CPT or DUR.
Ah, ok thanks

Old October 14th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #79
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 603

due to commence Jan 08 to both daily
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #80
Mo Rush

World Airport Awards

Africa:

1. Cape Town