Tallest building in Phoenix West Valley cities? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

Tallest building in Phoenix West Valley cities?

I have been trying to find out what is the tallest building in the Phoenix West Valley cities, but with no luck. I know the tallest in the East Valley are the West Sixth Towers in Downtown Tempe, followed by Financial Plaza in the Fiesta District of Mesa.

My guess is that the tallest in the West Valley is probably somewhere in Glendale, although I am not 100% sure.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5404

Are there even tall buildings in the West Valley? It seemed to me that the more urban development was in the East Valley: Scottsdale and Tempe, particularly Tempe. Glendale doesn't seem to be trying to develop a coherent central business district like Scottsdale is, and Tempe already kind-of has. Those other towns that are just starting to annex land now clearly would have nothing.

According to Wikipedia, there are only two buildings over 250 feet in all of the Valley outside of Phoenix. Both are in Tempe. I know Scottsdale has some midrises, too.

Maybe the tallest building in Glendale is University of Phoenix Stadium?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #3
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 54031

Emporis has the 411 on heights in respective submarkets for many cities. I haven't looked but the Phoenix area could be one of them: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...09910813,d.cGc

And Tempe has quite a residential and commercial district forming along the Rio Salado parkway and down South Mill Ave..

Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #4
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Are there even tall buildings in the West Valley? It seemed to me that the more urban development was in the East Valley: Scottsdale and Tempe, particularly Tempe. Glendale doesn't seem to be trying to develop a coherent central business district like Scottsdale is, and Tempe already kind-of has. Those other towns that are just starting to annex land now clearly would have nothing.

According to Wikipedia, there are only two buildings over 250 feet in all of the Valley outside of Phoenix. Both are in Tempe. I know Scottsdale has some midrises, too.

Maybe the tallest building in Glendale is University of Phoenix Stadium?
I know the tallest outside of Phoenix or Tempe is the Financial Plaza in Mesa, which was once the tallest in the East Valley until the West Sixth Towers in Tempe were built.

According to Emporis, the tallest I found in the West Valley is the Renaissance Glendale Hotel & Spa. However, according to Yahoo Answers, University of Phoenix Stadium is 193 feet tall at the center.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; December 16th, 2015 at 03:42 AM.
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Hennessy V.S.O.P.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have been trying to find out what is the tallest building in the Phoenix West Valley cities, but with no luck. I know the tallest in the East Valley are the West Sixth Towers in Downtown Tempe, followed by Financial Plaza in the Fiesta District of Mesa.

My guess is that the tallest in the West Valley is probably somewhere in Glendale, although I am not 100% sure.
Tallest building in Glendale (7 floors) is Sheraton Hotel at I-17 and West Dunlap Ave.

Last edited by Hennessy V.S.O.P.; February 26th, 2016 at 04:18 PM.
Hennessy V.S.O.P. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #6
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy V.S.O.P. View Post
Tallest building in Glendale (7 floors) is Sheraton Hotel at I-17 and West Dunlap Ave.
Are you sure it's the tallest? The Renaissance Glendale Hotel referenced is 11-12 floors.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 08:57 AM   #7
pwalker

Likes (Received): 68

Why is Phoenix so low-rise?

I have been tracking development in Phoenix for 30+ years. I still have a 1982 Phoenix map that shows just I-17 and I-10, which was still under construction to the west as of this map, and the temporary route was along Buckeye Road (US 30). Kudos for impressive freeway additions since.

However, I wonder if this sprawl has kept Phoenix's skyline from growing. I visited a couple weeks ago and the skyline (both in downtown and up Central), basically looks like it did in the 80's. I understand the metro has grown, but I don't see it vertically, which this site is all about.

So, is this the goal of Phoenix? A continual sprawl, or any idea of density? Just wondering, not being judgmental...

Last edited by pwalker; May 23rd, 2016 at 01:23 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:53 PM   #8
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3887

Density is somewhat tied to walkability, and walking in Phoenix is like death for half the year.

I imagine that even the highrise zones in Phoenix require huge amounts of parking by law or by market expectation. With the volumes required, land costs won't get very high. Long story short, this points to shorter buildings with giant parking podiums or adjacent garages. In turn, that turns into streetscapes that don't encourage walking.

Highrises are often intended to capture views. Phoenix has views but they're distant, not terribly compelling, and in all directions.

Related to all of that, highrises happen when someone really values being in a specific location and is willing to pay more for it. That hasn't happened to the degree needed to go taller.

The airport of course curtails heights Downtown and in the flight paths.

Lack of corporate presence (relatively) is a big one. Highrises cost more per square foot in terms of building costs. You need these industries not only today but over generations so generations of buildings get built. That's never existed.

Critical mass is also key. Once you have a dense, vibrant downtown, that becomes a recruiting tool. But until it exists, there's less incentive for any given developer to try to start an area like that when their individual efforts would only take things so far.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #9
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

You're not going to see much density, relatively speaking. Phoenix is a recreation-based city. The economy is skewed towards hospitality like hotels, recreation like world-class golf resorts, and retirement. There is not much of a corporate presence, as mhays mentioned. It is also not an airport hub, so getting to Phoenix is slightly tougher. So, there isn't a demand to build up. Individuals prefer single family homes out there (namely retirees), and corporations are not really there.

Then again, if tastes in living change, you will see some changes. Look at how Scottsdale is beginning to develop a tiny highrise district. Tempe has highrises, although these are commercial.

But then again, the above is all the East Valley. It appears the West Valley is content to be sprawl, relevant to this thread.
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #10
pwalker

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
You're not going to see much density, relatively speaking. Phoenix is a recreation-based city. The economy is skewed towards hospitality like hotels, recreation like world-class golf resorts, and retirement. There is not much of a corporate presence, as mhays mentioned. It is also not an airport hub, so getting to Phoenix is slightly tougher. So, there isn't a demand to build up. Individuals prefer single family homes out there (namely retirees), and corporations are not really there.

Then again, if tastes in living change, you will see some changes. Look at how Scottsdale is beginning to develop a tiny highrise district. Tempe has highrises, although these are commercial.

But then again, the above is all the East Valley. It appears the West Valley is content to be sprawl, relevant to this thread.
Thanks for that, you bring up some excellent points. However, I disagree about Sky Harbor Airport...it is indeed a hub for American Airlines, which took over US Air which merged with America West, a hub for the two latter former airlines. However, it is my understanding that American's contract to maintain a hub in Phoenix runs out in 2-3 years. I don't know much more about that, and I'm not even sure they would even consider closing it, so the jury is out.

Southwest also has a strong presence at PHX.

Last edited by pwalker; May 28th, 2016 at 08:53 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #11
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy V.S.O.P. View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but that hotel isn't even in Glendale, it is in Phoenix.

Going back to the subject, I was thinking whether if there will ever be significant highrises in the West Valley. I don't think Glendale really aims to be like Tempe, as the city's downtown area and demographics is actually more similar to Mesa than it is to Tempe.

However, what about other West Valley cities? Could we see future highrises in cities such as Peoria, Surprise, or Goodyear? These cities are growing at a faster rate. Goodyear I don't think has a real Downtown area yet.
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #12
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Aren't places like Surprise and Peoria basically all retirees and golf courses and such? I can't imagine any highrises in those place. I also can't imagine highrises in farther-out municipalities that have open land to build single-family houses. All three of the cities you mentioned, and Buckeye, have plenty of open land and have no need to build up if they can build out.

I think the best bet for highrises in the West Valley is the Westgate Entertainment Complex area in Glendale. The stadium and arena have the potential to drive development. It's also next to the expressway. If things are done right, it could be an edge city like Tyson's Corner in a generation. Otherwise, some place where a major intersection could develop.

What about the North Valley, if that's a thing? Could an edge city develop in Deer Valley at the intersection of I-17 and Loop 101? Or south of Anthem at the intersection of I-17 and Loop 303?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement