Sydhavnen | Southern Docklands | Projects & Construction - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Denmark > Copenhagen

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Hafnia
Mod nye projekter

Likes (Received): 17118

Sydhavnen | Southern Docklands | Projects & Construction

The old tough harbour industrial neighbourhood with the official name Kongens Enghave, has transformed quite a lot the last 10 years. The transformation has mainly been at the Sluseholmen with the 8 Amsterdam inspired residental islands, the Metropolis building and a lot of newer office buildings, like e.g. TV2 News HQ.
3,500 people living at Sluseholm and Teglholmen, like a small province town, though the long-term goal for the whole Sydhavn area is 9000 housings and 22,000 jobs.
Nowadays the development has moved north to Teglholmen with the ongoing construction of the Sydhavn school and daycare, and many residental buildings and some offices buildings.

But let's start at the northernmost point the
Enghave Brygge

Located between Havneholmen and Teglholm at the harbour front.
A "startredegørelse" has been adopted the 26th of september 2011, and the vision is 11 small islands inspired from Christianshavn and Amsterdam. Actually a continuing of the Sydhavns masterplan designed by Dutch architect Sjoerd Soeters as we know in Sluseholm. Also a park area of 24,000 m2 in front of the power plant if money can be found, is on the drawing board.

The power plant HC Ørstedværket, a dominent monolith building, the X factor at that site, and might one day in the future be transformed to kind of a Danish Tate Modern.

image hosted on flickr

Illustration by Gröning Arkitekter

Teglholmen

Facts:The Teglholmen area totals 88,000 M2
Teglholmen will house about 800 apartments,about 1,000 square meters service companies and 2,000 square metre shops, including commodity stores of 1,000 square metres.
Today the area is characterized by large warehouses and storage facilities. MAN Diesel has their Danish head office and testing halls in the area.

Sluseholmen
The overall plan for Sluseholmen and Sydhavnens Zealand Site designed by Dutch architect Sjoerd Soeters and is inspired by "Java Island" and "Borneo Island" in Amsterdam. Channels are a leading principle in the settlement. Residents have either views of the port's main course or canals. Canals and the bridges over them makes Sluseholmen to a different and diverse neighborhood in Copenhagen. The channels form the eight islands. The individual islands are characterized by blocks of protected courtyard. A fundamental principle in the development has been the desire for a coherent area, but also to give each house its own identity. Therefore, 25 different architectural firms helped to draw facades.

Last edited by Hafnia; June 3rd, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Hafnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #2
vester

Likes (Received): 353

This is going to be inserting to follow.

Bringing over the link to Startredegørelse for Enghave Brygge
vester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
aim1

Likes (Received): 230

De har åbenbart ikke taget højde for at hvis de river Graffiti "hall of fame" muren ned, så vil området, som hævn, blive ramt af graffiti og hærværk i et omfang ikke set før!
aim1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Markowitch

Likes (Received): 1061

The municipality have gone to great length to hide the fact that the area contains lots of street art. Not a single picture, not a single line of text in the linked material mentions this. The only thing "worth" preserving are some of the older buildings...

Quote:
bevaring og integrering af de væsentligste kulturværdier herunder H.C. Ørstedværket,der er udpeget som nationalt industriminde, Københavns Roklub, ”Uniscrap-bygningen” og bådmiljøet omkring Tømmergraven.
From the looks of things - it just seems like they pretend that there is no street art. This makes me very angry and a little bit sad! It's not that they have choosen not to preserve it, it's the fact that they don't mention the street art with a single word! I wonder if they have even thought about preserving, relocating, or somehow work the art into the new development!?

This is so respectless that I almost feel violated!! And yes I know that street art is of a temporary nature - but take a good look at the Evolution piece. It's been left untouched for years - not a single tag or anything. Now that says something about it's importance. Back in the day, the power plant even donated the paint.

This Enghave Brygge is not going to be a cool urban area. It's going to be semi dead, like all the new developments. Only the fatest wallets will be able to afford to live there. They will be so busy earning money, that there will be no local community. There will be no noise, no street art, no cool shops. It's just going to be row after row of utter boredom, with a harbour view.

The little guy sure don't have a lot of ways to express public art, without breaking the law. Yet our public spaces are littered with images from a fake commercial world, and there is nothing we can or will do about it. End of rant!

Last edited by Markowitch; March 12th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Markowitch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #5
ramblersen

Likes (Received): 2920

I find it rather offensive and violating that some people who notoriously pride themselves of not respecting other people's creations and rights believe that other's are under an obligation to leave their own creations alone and observe rights which are not there. Not that the street art in this area (which is by all means great) has bothered anyone until now but the very same people who create it also tag my building in down town Vesterbro, train cars and pretty much everything else in the rest of the city with doodles that can in no way be called creative or beautiful. And if they want to take revenge - if their works at Enghave Brygge are removed - by vandalizing the area in the future, thereby punishing ordinary people whio have nothing to do with the decisions they dislike, the last trace of reason or justive has left the building.

A few years ago there was quite a lot of talk about starting to preserve street art. Quite a lot of politicians from Copenhagen Municipality were positive as far as I recall. So it is not that the discussion hasn't been there. However, the big question is how actually to do it in a way that makes any sense. As others on this forum have already pointed out, the idea of moving it, or even to "exhibit" it in a museum-like environment, is pretty contrary to the spirit in which the art was made. Transience is its pigmentation and it was never made to last. And not to develop the area because of the works is simply far-fetched. However great it is.

Sonething about the considerations about listing it from Bygningskultur Danmark which was pro preserving it.

http://www.bygningskultur.dk/Materia...e+graffiti.pdf

Amd an article from Politiken about the discussion:

http://politiken.dk/kultur/ECE523423...-blive-fredet/

Last edited by ramblersen; March 13th, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
ramblersen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Markowitch

Come on Ramblersen. I think you are a bit too harsh on the street art community. However, I understand where you are comming from. I too don't want too see my building defaced.

But I am not talking about vandalism and tags. I am talking about the Evolution piece. I don't think it's fair to blame Ulrik Schiødt for what happened to your building, or any other building for that matter. His piece was even sponsered by the nearby power plant, and it has attracted much acclaim and enjoys a lot of respect. It's part of the areas heritage.

It could prove infeasible to move it and even preserve it. But I'm sure that with a good camera rig and some effort, a reproduction could be made and worked into a new setting. And if even that is not possible, then come out and say it publicly. "Guys, we tried to preserve it, we looked at every possible angle, but alas - it was infeasible. We did what we could...". Trying the silence treatment and sweeping it's destruction under the rug is the action of cowards.

EDIT: Btw. noticed on Ulrik Schiødts homepage, that some new street art has been made at Forum. It looks great! And it's certainly not vandalism

Last edited by Markowitch; March 13th, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #7
ramblersen

I don't think I was in any way harsh at anyone. My references to tagging was prompted by aim 1's predictions of vandalism in the area. Still you perfectly well know that the very same people that are making the interesting pieces are also making the not so interesting tagging ' it is part of the same culture. And if those people start to exhibit a petit-bourgois ownership mentality over their works they are imo starting to fight themseklves.

As for the street art at Enghave Brygge, the thing is that it won't really work in an entirely different setting after a redevelopment of the area. Have you checked with Mr. Ulrik Schiødt if he even wants his work "photographed and recreated by you and placed in the middle of a petit-bourgois middle-class neighbourhood or relocated to a new locale? I think he might just consider it phony and something which he would want to know nothing of - and he still hold intellectual property rights over his work, you know. You can't just go out and recreate it. You have expressed a wish to take this discussion before but you ignore the answers you get: That it is not really in the spirit of this street art to be "preserved, recreated and stored".

Now if it is actually possivle to retain it or to preserve it in other ways in a meaningful manner, I am pretty sure there is both political will and funds to do so. Considering the political majority we have and how fashionable it is among architects and other wannabe hipsters to preserve pretty much any feature which might envoke a 'sense of place' or an atmosphere of authenticity (don't misunderstand me, I'm all for it). But maybe there is just no meaningful solution here. And when you see a wish to 'hide' this issue among the involved parties and feel all angry and violated inside, I really think that you are being too harsh on the political community.
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Markowitch

Ohh please, acknowledgement and preservation of street art has it's place. It's not any longer just seen as something shady that needs to be removed. And yes it can work in a petit-bourgois display kind of setting. And it can even work with architecture. In other words, you don't make the rules here. It can be done, and it has been done.

I hope that the Evolution piece can be preserved, either physically or digitally. The area has in many years been an important street art gallery. Not to acknowledge that is unfortunate.

I know that the new plans for Enghave Brygge will go in another direction. Building costs demands that only the fatest wallets will be able to live there. That's just how it is. That's why I'm pointing my angry finger at society in this case. Something should be done to preserve the pieces - and I'm no hipster btw.
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #9
ramblersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowitch View Post
Ohh please, acknowledgement and preservation of street art has it's place. It's not any longer just seen as something shady that needs to be removed. And yes it can work in a petit-bourgois display kind of setting. And it can even work with architecture. In other words, you don't make the rules here. It can be done, and it has been done.
Now you have completely lost me. What I have been trying to explain to you is that the street art in the area have already received 'official' acknowledgement and that I believe that an integration or preservation has already been considered. However, that does not necessarily mean that it will ultimately end up being integrated or preserved. Sure street art can be used in a petit-bourgois setting - just look how BIG's Mountain Dwellings were decorated by Victor Ash - but what I questioned was mainly if the street artist in question would even want his work to be "photographed and recreated" an ussue which you again fail to consider. I don't get the "you don't make the rules "-part since I am the one who accepts the rules here while you are the one who seems to feel entitled to make them.

Quote:
I hope that the Evolution piece can be preserved, either physically or digitally. The area has in many years been an important street art gallery. Not to acknowledge that is unfortunate.
So do I - I just accept that maybe it just isn't possible in a meaningful way. They can't be expected to plan the entire area according to this single issue. But I don't think that means that it isn't acknowledged and I am in no doubt that it will be preserved digitally. So if that is enough for you, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I am just pretty sure that it isn't enough for a lot of others and I think that is sad.

Quote:
I know that the new plans for Enghave Brygge will go in another direction. Building costs demands that only the fatest wallets will be able to live there. That's just how it is. That's why I'm pointing my angry finger at society in this case. Something should be done to preserve the pieces - and I'm no hipster btw.
Yes that is indeed how it is. Therefore I don't really get what the problem is in your opinion: Yes a preservation should be considered. No that does not necessarily mean that it can and should be done. Then it should at least be documented digitally and I am sure that it will be. Still some people who do not respect other people's creations and rights are likely to take offense of this and take revenge and that bothers me - both the lack of reason/double standards and the destructive elements and waste of funds.

But I think we should get this thread back on track (even though I do think it is a relevant discussion). I think we have both made our point.

Last edited by ramblersen; March 13th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Hafnia
Mod nye projekter

Quote:
I think we have both made our point.
You sure did

Btw., I plan to hed there soon, to take some pics so you guys (and myself) can see what's hiding there
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Hafnia
Mod nye projekter

So off we go.

The neighbour island Teglholm, and the coming Sydhavnskole.

The following pictures from what must be the Evolution wall., and it is indeed a master piece of street art.

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Hafnia
Mod nye projekter

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Hafnia
Mod nye projekter

And back to the "civilization" Fisketorvet - I hate that place - where some refurbishment are being done, and maybe due the closeness to the grafitti island they have been insired of this.

From the roof construction for the coming Metro control centre.

And finally the Enghave Brygge, that suppose to be another fantastic place to develop with or without the grafitti.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM   #14
Markowitch

Thanx for the shots Hafnia! And you are quite right - the area has a lot of potential! I hope the house boats will still be around when the area is developed (... and also some some room for street art)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #15
Cafo

Likes (Received): 655

Great shots Hafnia.
Cafo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
Never give up

Likes (Received): 11530

On page 24 of this rapport "Grøn Mobilitet" the extension of metro line 4 to Ny Ellebjerg is clearly marked with stations at Fisketorv, Enghave Brygge, Teglholm amonst others and the kommune has alloted money to make a underground chamber near Vasbygade allowing the line to be extended.
Believe it or not, this metro line is not shown in the preliminary plan for Enghave Brygge which now is in public hearing.
I just don´t understand how one can make a plan for where shops, houses and other facilities can be placed in a new town area, without taking the position of new metro stations into consideration.
An ekstra foot and bike bridge across the harbour would suddenly make the whole of Islands Brygge Syd development area within easy reach of Enghave Brygge metro station.

OK guys, the plan is in public hearing so start protesting!!

http://www.kk.dk/PolitikOgIndflydels...25C9E2E15.ashx

http://www.kk.dk/~/media/ABEA9D0F08C...BFE6B708B.ashx

[IMG]http://i41.************/wiwtvb.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Never give up; March 23rd, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #17
Markowitch

Interesting news! I agree with you that it's kind of odd they haven't mentioned this extension of the metro in the preliminary plan - wonder why...

Is the extension of the metro line 4 a fact written in stone, or wishfull thinking yet to have solid financial support?

I like the metro extension btw. It will transform the whole area and make it so much more accessible. If I were to choose between the extension to Nordhavn or Sydhavn, then I would pick Sydhavn. Still the Nordhavn extension might just push up the price of land in Nordhavn, and supply the By og Havn company with more money to build even more metro
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Never give up

Likes (Received): 11530

Update on the Sydhavn school from the opposite side of the harbour.

[IMG]http://i46.************/11abv9u.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe this thread should be renamed Harbour Front (North Side) covering the area from Sluseholm to Fisketorv
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:02 PM   #19
ramblersen

Woruldn't Sydhavnen do as a title with some specifications in the first post? That 'north side' could perhaps be mistaken with the Nordhavnen?

Thanks for a ton of lovely pictures in a variety of threads, NGU and others. Gotta love those blue skies, we definitely need to build more of those!

Last edited by ramblersen; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:38 AM   #20
vester

Likes (Received): 353

Shouldn't it be West side ?

Some progress on the Sydhavnen Skole. A lot bigger than last time I was by.
vester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: