Royal Arsenal Riverside | Woolwich | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2015, 12:10 PM   #61
Lower

Likes (Received): 31

Plans finally submitted by Geronimo pubs for the Guard House by the entrance to the Arsenal. Here's their CGI impression of what it would look like:
http://flic.kr/p/qYqciS

SE9 liked this post
Lower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:57 PM   #62
Christopher125

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Specs View Post
From the Murky Depths, who posts here occasionally, had an interesting article on plans from the developer to knock down a listed building in part to provide a place for drivers to drop off people by the station: https://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress...-this-weekend/
That plan has been withdrawn thankfully, with any luck they'll see sense and find a new use for it instead:

https://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress...230-new-flats/
Christopher125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #63
Lower

Now plans submitted for an office building bordering the royal arsenal with plans to convert it into 28 residential properties.
Greenwich planning ref: 15/0016/f
publicaccess.royalgreenwich.gov.uk:81/online-applications/files/A2FEC9650907B07022D4A9FEA8238E46/pdf/15_0016_F-COVERING_LETTER-283102.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #64
Lower

Finally some progress with the hotel. It has now been bought by Berkeley which makes much more sense.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11...erkeley_Homes/
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #65
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 79461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
Finally some progress with the hotel. It has now been bought by Berkeley which makes much more sense.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11...erkeley_Homes/

Royal Arsenal Riverside - building wrap by Octink, on Flickr
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #67
SE9
South East Nine

'Woolwich is perfect for my jet-setting lifestyle' says top model
Newsshopper

Quote:
A top international fashion model has become the Royal Arsenal Riverside's 2,000th resident - and says Woolwich is perfect for her jet-setting lifestyle.

Model Abi Fox and her sister, Evie, who works for agency Models 1, were welcomed into their new home by John Anderson, the chairman of developers Berkeley Homes.

The model and first time buyer said: "The great transport links make it so easy to commute into work and visit friends. Our home is above where the new Crossrail station will be from 2018.

"Having Crossrail will be great for getting around London quickly and will further reduce the time it will take to get to the various airports across the capital."

[continued in link]

Langur liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #68
Lower

Plans have been approved for the Geronimo inn restaurant at the Guard house opposite the entrance to the Crossrail station.
http://flic.kr/p/qYqciS

Last edited by Lower; May 10th, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #69
SE9
South East Nine

Firefighters prevent disaster on Berkeley Homes site
Construction Enquirer
28 May 2015

Quote:
Firefighters managed to control a blaze at a Berkeley Homes site in Woolwich yesterday.

A diesel-powered compressor was destroyed by the flames.

Station Manager Joe Kenny said: “The compressor was in an open area on the first floor, close to an unfinished section of the building.

“If firefighters hadn’t acted fast it could have spread very quickly along exposed timbers and into the building under construction, but thankfully it was brought under control at an early stage.”

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Greenwich, East Greenwich and Plumstead attended the incident.

The Brigade was called at 1500 and the fire was under control at 1556.
Old June 6th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #70
LazyOaf

Likes (Received): 446

Just one snap of the Woolwich Arsenal development above the new Crossrail station. The building below is pretty much complete and the detailing on top is excellent. It was my first time in Woolwich, a place i've often heard negative things about and how it is an area that has declined. I always think of Croydon when it comes to decline, and from what i'd heard of Woolwich I was expecting a dreary area on that level, but the town really surprised me. i found it to be a vibrant area with interesting architecture and a sense of renewal. I'm sure the weather played no part in that feeling!

IMG_6056 by LazyOaf87, on Flickr
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #71
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 13647

IMG_5195.jpg by Luke, on Flickr

IMG_5198.jpg by Luke, on Flickr
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #72
randolph

Likes (Received): 1404

Woolwich is definitely an ongoing success story in terms of improving the general urban realm. I had a girlfriend who lived there 15years ago and it was a very down at heal place in those days. It is certainly improving year on year - especially now that it is the home of choice for super models!
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #73
SE9
South East Nine

The core visible in Mr Cladding's photo above has topped out:

Royal Arsenal Riverside - Woolwich, London by SE9, on Flickr

Old June 26th, 2015, 03:42 AM   #74
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 207

I thought it was going to be taller. Last week I walked by and I think it was around level 20 - the same as the other tower I think.

I passed by on the other side of the street last week, where millions were spent around 4 years ago on new paving and public space. It was utterly filthy and a lot of the street furniture falling apart. Greenwich council are often completely incompetent at maintaining public spaces, which is holding back towns like Woolwich. Even when the Spray St masterplan is realised if they don't maintain things wont change.

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #75
.Adam

Likes (Received): 899

That's really sad to hear - I must say I was impressed with developments in Woolwich - God knows it's needed it. However maintenance as you say is key to building a continued better environment for people to live. So it doesn't return to the dump it was before.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #76
SunnyCoast

Likes (Received): 126

Why are utility companies allowed to dig holes (bottom right of image), throw away the original paving stones and then just in fill with black tarmac?!

Surely it needs to be stipulated you leave the surface as you found it?

Core Rising liked this post
SunnyCoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #77
london lad

Likes (Received): 3772

They are supposed to repair as was within a certain time frame ( forget if its 6 weeks or 6months) so if they haven’t its worth contacting the local council.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #78
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 207

Greenwich's attitude to enforcement on most issues often seems to be - if its any effort, we wont do it. It's bizarre how they let so much go without a murmour or any real action. Parking is similar; weeks after the new and expensive paving was laid at the squares, cars were driving onto them daily to park. It's not a car park. Imagine cars just pulling off and parking on Trafalgar Sq! OK, Woolwich is hardly the same, but it is the main/biggest town in a borough of 250k people and had just seen once in a lifetime funding. They did not issue tickets or make much in the way of effort to stop it for many weeks. The weight of all those cars may have caused problems. They couldn't be bothered to do a thing it appeared, as I saw the same thing happen for many days and weeks.

Eventually they installed some extra bollards haphazardly which did not match up to the carefully designed and planned flagship project (which wasn't funded or designed by them as it was a very good scheme).

Everyone thinks their council is the worst and the grass is greener, but having experienced quite a few authorities I can say Greenwich are near the very bottom, in this field at least. Public realm design seems an alien concept. Maintenance is quite often non-existent.

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #79
kleon

Likes (Received): 1181

Some recent pics of the Royal Arsenal site. I also posted some photos from other favourite spots in Woolwich in this thread.

Cannon Square residential towers from the southeast (Burrage Road - Plumstead Road)

The same construction site from the northeast. The site to the left will be developed by Crossrail
(part of a deal with Berkeley Homes, the main developer of Royal Arsenal Riverside)

Berkeley and Crossrail project offices

Business units around Middlegate House. Some of these are already doomed to make room for more towers

Verbruggen House, a slice of Dutch history (my background) on the RA site

Hopton Road. The facade on the left is part of the Grand Store, a huge complex of warehouses
built during the Napoleontic wars, my favourite building in the Arsenal

More Grand Store on Cadogan Road

The Cornerstone Cafe on Major Draper Street

The Dial Arch pub has been going for some years

The Main Guardhouse. The new Geronimo pub should be opening here soon

Hopstuff, the local brewery, is planning to open a new pub in the same building where the Cornerstone Cafe is.
This location seems already up for sale

The new Riverpark, here still under construction in April 2015, replaces the existing one,
which will be the site for 10 or so residential towers (Waterfront development)

The same park, a month ago

And look, the first crane has arrived (Waterfront I & II)
kleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #80
kleon

Likes (Received): 1181

Some recent pictures from Woolwich and Shooters Hill, showing the strong impact of the Cannon Square & Crossrail development on the skyline. To think that these are only the first of 15 to 20 tall buildings planned for the riverside area...

View towards the north from Eglinton Hill (Shooters Hill)

View from Bloomfield Road

View from Burrage Road

Plumstead Road

Plumstead Road

View from Vincent Road / Woolwich Arsenal Railway Station

View from Woolwich New Road / General Gordon Square

View from No 1 Street (Royal Arsenal)
kleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
greenwich, london, riverside, royal arsenal, royal arsenal riverside, woolwich