Royal Arsenal Riverside | Woolwich | U/C - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #81
.Adam

Likes (Received): 899

I'm very impressed with this development - shame Stratford couldn't have a few more of these in place of the plastic towers.

metroranger liked this post
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #82
london lad

Likes (Received): 3741

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
I'm very impressed with this development - shame Stratford couldn't have a few more of these in place of the plastic towers.
You have to give the developer a bit of credit, Berkley Homes have constantly used top end architects and build high quality schemes. Its strange that they have so much U/C in London yet nothing in Stratford.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #83
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Its strange that they have so much U/C in London yet nothing in Stratford.
Berkley Homes only build in prestigious locations.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #84
metroranger

Likes (Received): 2216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
So they'll miss the boat.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #85
kleon

Likes (Received): 1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
As to Berkley, they are meticulously avoiding the name Woolwich in all of their advertizing. It's all about "living in style in Royal Arsenal Riverside in the Royal Borough of Greenwich", with "shopping and dining in nearby Blackheath Village"... For many people, Woolwich is a bad name. Have a look at the Woolwich bashing in this forum just a few years ago. One guy walked from Thamesmead to the Thames Barrier and portrayed the area as a rundown ghost town. Another one was criticized for buying a riverview flat in Woolwich for 140k...

Woolwich has come a long way and things are bound to look up further. According to this article, Woolwich house prices will rise more than elsewhere because of Crossrail. I noticed some of the luxury flats at Waterfront I and II are selling for well over a million.
Old September 16th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #86
kleon

The approved plans for Armourers Court - next to the Crossrail / Cannon Square construction site - were posted here by SE9 a while ago. According to this news flash, Crossrail are "currently looking for a develop partner".

I thought the photo montage in that article was very convincing. Here it is (I've cropped it a bit):

(Source: Crossrail)

Armourers Court, the red brick buildings at the bottom, has been photoshopped into an aerial view of the Arsenal from last winter. I'm counting 25 floors in the bottom right tower; would that be 80 m? Don't think any of the projected Waterfront towers will top that. The plan is to fill in all the vacant lots in the top left section of the picture with residential towers. At least five will have more than 20 floors.

Core Rising, SE9, Mr Cladding liked this post
kleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #87
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleon View Post
As to Berkley, they are meticulously avoiding the name Woolwich in all of their advertizing. It's all about "living in style in Royal Arsenal Riverside in the Royal Borough of Greenwich", with "shopping and dining in nearby Blackheath Village"... For many people, Woolwich is a bad name. Have a look at the Woolwich bashing in this forum just a few years ago. One guy walked from Thamesmead to the Thames Barrier and portrayed the area as a rundown ghost town. Another one was criticized for buying a riverview flat in Woolwich for 140k...

Woolwich has come a long way and things are bound to look up further. According to this article, Woolwich house prices will rise more than elsewhere because of Crossrail. I noticed some of the luxury flats at Waterfront I and II are selling for well over a million.
There are still 140k flats in some of the blocks of Woolwich - the town is always supposed to be the next big thing and its been said for years now eg when the DLR arrived. Crossrail though is on a different scale, but some of the claims are a bit excessive. There's many flats in West Thamesmead / Woolwich that are still at 75% of the level they sold for 5-10 years ago which is rare in London. Mass fraud didn't help - Panorama etc covered this. That cityam is a bit of a puff piece - a more credible and thorough survey was carried out by savills which showed different results I believe, so far at least.

Woolwich has undoubtedly improved but still a hell of a long way from what it was until the '80s/90s when the rot really kicked in and it went off a cliff. A lot needs doing. It's not all bad of course - the Arsenal site is generally very good and more amenities are arriving.

Armorers should be about the same height as Berkeley's Crossrail towers beside. About 20 towers will be in Woolwich in the next 10 years - possibly more. None are that tall though so I hope a wall effect doesn't arise.

One thing that's frustrating for the area is that TfL sold land above and around the DLR station in 2008 to Oakmayne. They've sat on it and landbanked for 7 years. Let's hope the same doesn't happen with land above Crossrail at Armorers Court.

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by Fromthemurkydepths; September 17th, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #88
kleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromthemurkydepths View Post
That cityam is a bit of a puff piece - a more credible and thorough survey was carried out by savills which showed different results I believe, so far at least.
It is a crappy article but the JLL tool that they have linked to is quite fun. Click on the Station by Station tab and select Woolwich from the menu. Then compare that with eg Abbey Wood (" little opportunity for new development" and "there is no real town centre or sense of place"). Interesting to read why the real estate guys have the hots for Woolwich. Where can I find the Savills survey?

Quote:
Woolwich has undoubtedly improved but still a hell of a long way from what it was until the '80s/90s when the rot really kicked in and it went off a cliff.
I've been reading up on Woolwich history a bit lately. It is amazing how the town could go downhill so quickly. In the 1950s and 60s this was the place where half of South East London came to work, shop and see movies. The one positive thing is that the town centre is still reasonably intact. The Arsenal will probably always remain an island but the regeneration of the town centre will bring Woolwich back to where it once was.

Quote:
About 20 towers will be in Woolwich in the next 10 years - possibly more. None are that tall though so I hope a wall effect doesn't arise.
I live halfway up Shooter's Hill and I am prepared to see less of the Thames in the future
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #89
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleon View Post
It is a crappy article but the JLL tool that they have linked to is quite fun. Click on the Station by Station tab and select Woolwich from the menu. Then compare that with eg Abbey Wood (" little opportunity for new development" and "there is no real town centre or sense of place"). Interesting to read why the real estate guys have the hots for Woolwich. Where can I find the Savills survey?

I've been reading up on Woolwich history a bit lately. It is amazing how the town could go downhill so quickly. In the 1950s and 60s this was the place where half of South East London came to work, shop and see movies. The one positive thing is that the town centre is still reasonably intact. The Arsenal will probably always remain an island but the regeneration of the town centre will bring Woolwich back to where it once was.

I live halfway up Shooter's Hill and I am prepared to see less of the Thames in the future
I know both areas very well and that comment from JLL about Abbey Wood is completely wrong - "little opportunity for new development". There's 3k homes planned within close proximity to Abbey Wood! Scope for quite a few more too.

And there is a town centre - right beside the station. Ok it's not huge, but has about 30 shops. And on the other side of the station a new High Street is planned as part of the 3k new homes. JLL don't seem to have much credibility missing out things like that.

Woolwich fell so quickly for a range of reasons. Whilst hit hard by closures of areas like the Arsenal and big factories, such large de-industrialisation wasn't unique. Unfortunately a very poor council continued to do lasting damage. It's still very parochial in many ways, not even looking what happens elsewhere in London to improve areas. Most improvements have been enforced from the outside eg new squares and the Arsenal.

I don't think the Arsenal will stay an island. Over the road there will be comprehensive rebuilding as part of the Spray Street masterplan.

I've just googled quickly for the report and there's so many it could be it would take time to go through each. I did read it cover to cover though and know its results were very different to many others from estate agents, which did the usual of puffing everything up.

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:23 PM   #90
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 14252

my second ever visit to Woolwich today, intriguing to (re)read the above in light of my impressions.

Woolwich Arsenal Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

London construction photos: • by area/projectby year
Urban Showcase: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalLisbonLanzarote •• OrkneyBristolEngland's West CountryLondon
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 02:33 AM   #91
kleon

A few more photos of the Waterfront and Crossrail & Cannon Square developments at Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, taken earlier this week.

Duke of Wellington Avenue with Royal Carriage Mews. The tower cranes are part of the Waterfront I & II construction site

The Waterfront construction site near the Thames

An unusual view of the Cannon Square development from the small park at Royal Arsenal Waterfront

View from the northwest (Major Draper Street)

The two lower blocks next to the Crossrail station building

The Cannon Square development along Plumstead Road

This construction site is east of the Cannon Square site, also along Plumstead Road, where Crossrail has proposed some residential towers. Not sure what's happening here

Distant view from Plumstead Road. The wall was built in the 18th/19th century by convicts that were housed in hulks

Another unusual view from Masons Hill (the car park behind Wilco). The Sikh temple on the right is a rather amazing building
Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:06 PM   #92
kleon

I hesitated about posting this picture, taken from the airplane last Wednesday on my way home to Amsterdam. The window was scratched, the engine was in the way and the sun was in my face. But it does show more than other pictures the mass of the Cannon Square development and the way it gradually rises up from the Arsenal. I think Berkeley's architects did a decent job here. The picture also nicely illustrates two of Woolwich' main assets: the river and the hill. The third asset, the historic town centre, is hidden behind the newer buildings.

Mr Cladding, potto, metroranger, SE9, Union Man liked this post

Last edited by kleon; October 3rd, 2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old October 14th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #93
kleon

Berkeley Homes has started selling Pavilion Square, as far as I'm aware their last project in the historic section of the Arsenal. The two pavillions that were once part of the Royal Laboratories have been renovated and are now being surrounded by some bland but not terribly ugly brick buildings. Flats are selling for £ 357-600K.

Nearby, Waterfront I and II are going up, with prices up to £ 1,75 million. This may be nothing unusual in other parts of London, in Woolwich this is unheard of. At Cannon Square, near the Crossrail station, every apartment except for one has sold.

As I am new to this area, I am discovering things that others may already know. I was appalled by this scheme at Mast Pond Wharf in the Dockyard area, not too far from the Arsenal. Note: this is not Mast Quay, where two additional towers are planned next to a development from the early 2000s. Mast Pond Wharf is further west and in the middle of Woolwich Dockyard, an area where very little remains of a great maritime past. This monstrum is planned on the narrow strip between two surviving docks, both listed. The project is surrounded by 1970s blocks of flats and a number of rather humble terraces from the 1990s. Not only is this the ugliest building design that I have seen in a long time (the cladding is actually very reminiscent of the Tesco/Carbuncle Cup building), the developers' legal assistants also managed last year to remove a requirement to include affordable homes in the scheme. I hope this never gets built!

Old October 16th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #94
.Adam

Likes (Received): 899

Blimey, so much wasted land in that second photo, what's the chances that most of that green space goes constantly unused.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #95
jake-potato

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
Blimey, so much wasted land in that second photo, what's the chances that most of that green space goes constantly unused.
That is one of my biggest issues with a lot of the post-war developments across the UK: so much wasted land that isn’t doing anything. You get lots of grass, the odd tree, but nobody uses it. It also isn’t like London is short on open public spaces, so you do wonder how many more units could be incorporated onto such sites and that is before increasing height.

.Adam, potto liked this post
jake-potato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #96
kleon

Some updates of the Crossrail, Cannon Square and Waterfront construction sites at Royal Arsenal Riverside. Firstly, two views of the Cannon Square development, one from Beresford Square in the town centre, the other one from Mason's Hill, with a fabulous Sikh gurdwara in the foreground:

The first buyers have now moved into the Cannon Square development. One of the taller towers is slowly emerging from its netting, the other one has not quite reached its full height. Views are from the north:

Crossrail is building something (a ventilation shaft?) at the east end of the station box:

Waterfront I & II are rising up from the park:

I posted a few more pics of Royal Arsenal in this thread.
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #97
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 79281

A few passing mobile phone shots:

Royal Arsenal Riverside - Woolwich, London by SE9, on Flickr

Old November 4th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #98
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 6425

Went here last weekend. Studio for 370k and one bed for 430k. What are they thinking? Sales office seems to be quite desparate to sell something as they gave me all goodies they possible can. Development however is really nice.
Quicksilver está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #99
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 586

Sanity has gotta get a grip sometime... hasn't it?

If I had 400k burning a hole in my back pocket there is no way I'd be moving to Woolwich and that is not snobery because the Royal Borough is my patch...
derekhales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #100
kleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Went here last weekend. Studio for 370k and one bed for 430k. What are they thinking?
Don't think there will be any more bargains at the Royal Arsenal. Over the years Berkeley Homes has invested a huge amount of money there when very few people believed in it, they had to deal with difficult industrial heritage and last but not least, they paid for the station box when Crossrail wanted to pull out. So now the time has come to cash in and I can't blame them. All those towers going up by the riverside will be luxury developments. For cheaper places you will have to cross the A206. I'm pretty sure the town centre will be the next hotspot. Here are 3 suggestions (no commercial interest):

1. The former RACS department store. Not so cheap either but then you live in a listed art deco building.

2. The Bathway Quarter, a well-preserved historic quarter with several public buildings being converted into apartments right now. Here the Old Police Station.

3. The Love Lane development, phase 2. Okay, the Tesco building won the 2014 Carbuncle Cup, so hopefully phase 2 will look a bit friendlier. The location between the town centre and Woolwich Common is perfect though.

Quicksilver, Mr Cladding, johnnypd liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
greenwich, london, riverside, royal arsenal, royal arsenal riverside, woolwich