ECOWAS: Morocco admitted "in principle", Tunisia observer, Mauritania association rejected should ask for readmission - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Business, Economy and Infrastructure Our architecture, infrastructure, transport, economy and other related discussions

Old June 5th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #1
blabliblablou

Likes (Received): 359

ECOWAS: Morocco admitted "in principle", Tunisia observer, Mauritania association rejected should ask for readmission

Quote:
Ecowas agrees to admit Morocco to West African body

West African regional group Ecowas has in principle approved Morocco's membership application despite the country being in North Africa.
But Ecowas leaders meeting in Liberia said the implications of its membership still needed to be considered before Morocco could formally join.
King Mohammed VI was not at the summit because Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had been invited.
Morocco's application comes after it rejoined the African Union in January.
Morocco left the continental body in 1984 after it recognised the independence of Western Sahara.
Morocco regards Western Sahara as part of its historic territory and has spent much of the last three decades trying to strengthen ties with Europe at the expense of relations with Africa.
vory Coast President Alasanne Ouattara has confirmed that the decision had been agreed in principle but the details still had to be worked out.
Morocco, along with Tunisia which is seeking observer status with the organisation and Mauritania, which wants to return to the body, will be invited to the next meeting of heads of state in Togo in December, a senior Ecowas source told the BBC.
'I believe in Africa'
Ecowas is made up of 15 West African nations, none of which shares a border with Morocco.
Members enjoy free trade and movement of people.
King Mohammed VI last week announced he would not be attending the summit in Liberia, because of the presence of Israel's prime minister.
Morocco does not have diplomatic ties with Israel.
Mr Netanyahu addressed West African leaders on Sunday saying: "Israel is coming back to Africa and Africa is coming back to Israel.
"I believe in Africa. I believe in its potential, present and future. It is a continent on the rise."
This trip comes nearly a year after Mr Netanyahu was in East Africa as part of his efforts to strengthen ties between the continent and Israel.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-40158089

Quote:
ECOWAS gives greenlight to Morocco’s membership application

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has given its agreement in principle to Morocco’s request to join the regional grouping.

This was highlighted in the final communiqué of the 51st Ordinary Summit of the ECOWAS Heads of State and Government.

Leaders of West Africa agreed in principle for the accession of the North African country to join the bloc given the strong and multidimensional ties of cooperation.

However, the implications of its membership still needed to be considered before Morocco could formally join.

King Mohamed VI had been due to attend the ECOWAS summit in Monrovia on Saturday and Sunday which Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attended, but cancelled the visit.

Morocco’s application comes after it rejoined the African Union in January.

Ecowas is made up of 15 West African nations, none of which shares a border with Morocco.

Press Agencies
http://www.africanews.com/2017/06/05...p-application/
blabliblablou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Nyumba

Likes (Received): 5175

The King bought West African leaders with the money of the Rif
Nyumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Genbank
Been there

Likes (Received): 3361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyumba View Post

Stop smocking Rifian marijuana it hurts the brain.
Genbank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #4
blabliblablou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyumba View Post
Stop trolling!

This post has been reported!
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #5
mwanamwiwa

Likes (Received): 1578

Hands off the King!

marokko liked this post
mwanamwiwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #6
mwanamwiwa

Likes (Received): 1578

Morrocans ain't playing around, great strategy.

mwinyi liked this post
mwanamwiwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #7
ekema

Likes (Received): 5910

This is the 4th thread on this. Hopefully this one lasts. As I've stated previously this will lead to a weakened ecowas. Doesn't make sense to exclude chad and accept these guys.
ekema no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #8
blabliblablou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekema View Post
This is the 4th thread on this. Hopefully this one lasts. As I've stated previously this will lead to a weakened ecowas. Doesn't make sense to exclude chad and accept these guys.
Well it does for ECOWAS countries... including Nigeria!

Apparentely, Nigeria was one of the coutries lobbying for Morocco's integration (i'll try the find the article it was mentionned)
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #9
blabliblablou

I mean, you don't like it for racial reasons... but at the end ECOWAS, will become the biggest economy in the continant, the most influential diplomatically, the biggest military and the most integrated... All the countries in ECOWAS will benefit from that...
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #10
ekema

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabliblablou View Post
Well it does for ECOWAS countries... including Nigeria!

Apparentely, Nigeria was one of the coutries lobbying for Morocco's integration (i'll try the find the article it was mentionned)
With the Muslim president we make lots of stupid moves. The guy is thinking like a Muslim not a president of nigeria. Objectively still makes it a bad move for the subregion

mekon, Umoja liked this post
Old June 5th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #11
ekema

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabliblablou View Post
I mean, you don't like it for racial reasons... but at the end ECOWAS, will become the biggest economy in the continant, the most influential diplomatically, the biggest military and the most integrated... All the countries in ECOWAS will benefit from that...
Ecowas is already the biggest economy on the continent. My opposition is racial if you meant anti racists like you Moroccans. You're writing about a region you don't even know about. That somehow Morocco will make it the biggest economy when it already is. You haven't developed your country but you'll perform magic in ecowas ?

mekon, Umoja liked this post
Old June 5th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #12
marokko

Likes (Received): 734

No generalizations please. This message is meant for all northwest Africans. There are from both sides good and bad persons. Generalizing, especially when insulting, was one of the major reasons why previous threads about this topic were closed...
marokko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #13
ekema

Quote:
Originally Posted by marokko View Post
No generalizations please. This message is meant for all northwest Africans. There are from both sides good and bad persons. Generalizing, especially when insulting, was one of the major reasons why previous threads about this topic were closed...
well then the poster needs to stop with the nonsense of how morocco will make ecowas this or that. largest economy? its already been so and for a while already

its largest attraction isnt its economy but its political power anyway
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #14
Rdokoye
I'm The King

Likes (Received): 685

Morocco hasn't been accepted into ECOWAS, they said they're still thinking about the implications of it, but they've accepted their application.

Looks like we may have to wait to December before they make a decision, but for now, nothing has changed.
I still believe that the one thing that will bring peace, absolute peace, to this country, the type of peace we want attached to development, is to liberate Ndi Igbo and there is no better act of liberation than accepting that they have equal right in Nigeria.

~ Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Ikemba

DepressedAli liked this post
Rdokoye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #15
Rdokoye
I'm The King

Likes (Received): 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekema View Post
Exactly, those are things that will be discussed, how will they justify it, allowing Moroccans in, but not Chad. Morocco is not a West African nation, so if they do decide to go ahead with it, ECOWAS will immediately cease to exist, the moment it happens.

Morocco is a Muslim country, whereas ECOWAS is secular, already an issue has been presented with Morocco refusing to come to the ECOWAS summit because of Israel's presence - they're not in ECOWAS but are already presenting problems.

The free movement of goods and PEOPLE will also be another major problem.
I still believe that the one thing that will bring peace, absolute peace, to this country, the type of peace we want attached to development, is to liberate Ndi Igbo and there is no better act of liberation than accepting that they have equal right in Nigeria.

~ Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Ikemba

ekema, Umoja liked this post
Rdokoye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #16
Umoja

Likes (Received): 7374

ECOWAS: Morocco admitted "in principle", Tunisia observer, Mauritania association rejected should ask for readmission

Tunisia observer? How? and Why?
Umoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #17
Nyumba

Likes (Received): 5175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdokoye View Post
Looks like we may have to wait to December before they make a decision
Quote:
ECOWAS is secular, already an issue has been presented with Morocco refusing to come to the ECOWAS summit because of Israel's presence
It's because right now it's a fake-Arab country but by December everything could happen over there.

Just Google Rif protests, something is brewing, an Arab-Berber clash that inshallah will wipeout the fake-Arabs and restore relations with the Jews

Yes to a BERBER Morocco in ECOWAS

Last edited by Nyumba; June 6th, 2017 at 01:19 AM.
Nyumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #18
gooner31

Likes (Received): 163

From the BBC article, I believe that an interesting line has been erased.

Quote:
"I believe in Africa. I believe in its potential, present and future. It is a continent on the rise."
While in Liberia for the summit, his bodyguards scuffled with those of Togo's President Faure Gnassingbe, according to reports in the Israeli media.
This trip comes nearly a year after Mr Netanyahu was in East Africa as part of his efforts to strengthen ties between the continent and Israel.
Sounds like a NY mob conclave, the jewish family gatecrashing the meeting. Only Don Corleone-Bouteflika in his wheelchair can bring the families together.
gooner31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 01:32 AM   #19
blabliblablou

Quote:
Morocco hasn't been accepted into ECOWAS, they said they're still thinking about the implications of it, but they've accepted their application.
If that makes sleep at night... To me it seems that Morocco has been accepted pending technical details... In other words if Morocco accepts ECOWAS conditions, we're in...
The ball is in Morocco's corner now

Quote:
Looks like we may have to wait to December before they make a decision, but for now, nothing has changed.
Well we got political acceptance from ALL ecowas countries, unanimusely... stuff has changed a lot! we might not be a member yet, but we're a lot more in than out!
Old June 6th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #20
blabliblablou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner31 View Post
From the BBC article, I believe that an interesting line has been erased.

Sounds like a NY mob conclave, the jewish family gatecrashing the meeting. Only Don Corleone-Bouteflika in his wheelchair can bring the families together.
They may have added it afterwards, I copied the article as is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement