The Rotunda | Residential | New Street | 25 fl | 81m | Comp. - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #281
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

The curious thing is that the Rotunda now seems to resemble a stack of 7" jukebox records on an autochanger spindle more than ever ..... I hope the cantilevered floors aren't all gonna collapse down onto one another pancake-effect style. God that would be an absolute disaster if it happened.
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #282
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3305

I had a mini drive around the city centre yesterday evening for the first time in a while and was surprised at just how horrific the Rotunda looks at the moment - in a more desperate state than the recent photos show!! Now I wish it was being done undercover. I feel ill for having seen her innards.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #283
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Know exactly what you mean Buttertubs..... Looks like a tall building would after it's been reduced to a burnt out shell, doesn't it?
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #284
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3305

Yeps. It looks like the demoiltion of a war-damaged building - including the criss-cross tape stuff on the windows that they used in World War II.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #285
pauliewalnuts

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
The curious thing is that the Rotunda now seems to resemble a stack of 7" jukebox records on an autochanger spindle more than ever ..... I hope the cantilevered floors aren't all gonna collapse down onto one another pancake-effect style. God that would be an absolute disaster if it happened.
It reminds me of the cartoon fish you used to see in Tom and Jerry cartoons - just the bones left, in perfect shape still
pauliewalnuts está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #286
suki_uk

Likes (Received): 0

Anyone with any new pictures? I might take a vist this weekend to take some shots....
suki_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #287
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

I remember reading some months ago that there is going to be a "spectacular finish" to the top of the renovated Rotunda ........ does anyone know what that is yet?
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #288
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

The computer graphics appear to give it a slightly 'domed' look at the top, is that it?
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #289
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

well there was meant to be an iconic lighting feature on the top to act as a beacon...but never seen any pictures of such a thing!
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #290
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 15

as of yesterday..

[IMG]http://i4.************/10oh99w.jpg[/IMG]
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #291
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

its looks so fragile at the top... when the whole building it stripped, will go to show how little support a tower like this needs!
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #292
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3897

Not that's a great help.
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #293
pauliewalnuts

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist
as of yesterday..

[IMG]http://i4.************/10oh99w.jpg[/IMG]
Meandering slightly off topic here, but does anyone else LOATHE those shitty white bits of cantilevered steel they have used in the bullring (bottom right in this picture)?

They look really, really tacky and cheap. Do they serve any purpose or are they for decoration only?
pauliewalnuts está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #294
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliewalnuts
Meandering slightly off topic here, but does anyone else LOATHE those shitty white bits of cantilevered steel they have used in the bullring (bottom right in this picture)?

They look really, really tacky and cheap. Do they serve any purpose or are they for decoration only?
Yeah, I've always disliked em. I remember when they opened the Bullring, thinking how cheap and crappy they looked. I 'think' they are meant to represent the 'joining' of that section of bullring to the rotunda etc. Anyway they are terrible.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #295
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

they support alot of the weight of the part of the building that literally hangs almost over the service road that goes under the benneton and nike stores. quite clever in my opinion x
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #296
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummad
they support alot of the weight of the part of the building that literally hangs almost over the service road that goes under the benneton and nike stores. quite clever in my opinion x
but couldn't they have made them more aesthetically pleasing?
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #297
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 8

I take it urban splash are retaining the Rotunda's podium (as seen above). Will it also get a reclad/scrub up? I think the cladding should stay is it is on that part - would make a nice contrast with the glass tower.
Wild@Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #298
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

More than that, they keep the weight off the railway tunnels going into new street.

btw, does anyone know if they are they doing some structural fixing as the rotunda leans slightly. Someone who used to work there said if you left something on floor it would roll to other side. Which I guess is the price of surviving two attempts to blow it up by the IRA.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #299
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3897

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I take it urban splash are retaining the Rotunda's podium (as seen above). Will it also get a reclad/scrub up? I think the cladding should stay is it is on that part - would make a nice contrast with the glass tower.
It's already been tarted up, and it looks much nicer that it did before, dunno if it'll be done up again...

BTW what's the big crane for that you can see on the cricket?
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #300
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 8

Aha. Sorry - wasn't that clear in the photo, but good news they're keeping it.
Wild@Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
residential, rotunda