Euro-CHINATOWNS - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > European Archives > Urban Archive > Eastern Europe / Balkans

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #1
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 15139

Euro-CHINATOWNS

Hi everybody!

I wanna see how many "ethnic districts" there are in European cities
Please post pics of your city ones (or other cities ones )
Not only CHINATOWNS, obviously, but every district having "ethnical peculiarities"

BYE
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #2
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

I begin with CHINATOWN in my city, Milan

Enjoy these "few" pics taken by me

click on images to enlarge

Old October 13th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #3
stefansk

Likes (Received): 4

yes, if I close my eyes, its almost like hong kong ... lol j/k
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #4
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Likes (Received): 278

Chinatown in Belgrade

This big and long brown building below highrises is chinese market
lindenthaler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:29 AM   #5
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

great stuff GENIUS LOCI, what happened to your Tim Robins Avatar, was quite cool...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #6
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

He was Carlo Verdone, an Italian comedian

Now I feel a little bad so it's time for A Clockwork Orange avatar

In Topic now...

What about London Chinatown? And Paris one, near Place d'Italie?
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #7
John

London Chinatown

All pictures taken by me

Last edited by John; October 13th, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 25502

Manchester, UK

Chinatown, in the city centre. Mostly Chinese but also other East Asian flavours such as Malaysian and Thai.

Rusholme about 1.5km south of the city centre near the universities - A long (1km) stretch of road with bright neon lights everywhere loads of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi restaurants, clothes shops, book shops, jewellers etc Also known as the 'Curry Mile'

Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #9
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 43

More London Chinatown photos:

Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #10
John

Any more pictures of European Chinatowns? Anyone? I really want to see how they look like.
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #11
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Is it true that Manchester is the most "Chinese" city of Europe?
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #12
SHiRO

Likes (Received): 0

Amsterdam has a Chinatown (Zeedijk). It's small but developing. An estimated 10,000 Chinese (and Thai, Indonesians, Malay) live there.
Incidentally, Amsterdam is also the only European city beside London which has a Michellin starred Chinese restaurant (and a Japanese as well), as far as I know.

Last edited by SHiRO; October 14th, 2005 at 02:09 AM.
SHiRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #13
SHiRO

Likes (Received): 0

More on Amsterdam's Chinatown:

Amsterdam's Chinatown has exploded in the past few years. It's gone beyond it's confines in the Red Light District and is now spilling over past the Nieuwmarkt. To call it "Chinatown" is a misnomer of course, because the area include numerous Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian restaurants, shops, salons, apothecaries, markets and more.

A transformation in a good part of the Red Light District has occured thanks to the success of the many restaurants in the area, and the introduction of new ones. Add to this the reconstruction of many fašades, and the repaving of the streets, and this district has been metamorphized from seedy to inviting. The hordes of hungry tourists in the area can attest to this.

The Oriental Supermarket facing the Nieuwmarkt is just one of the success stories in the area. The number of good quality Thai restaurants has not just tourists, but locals flocking in to feast on Tom Yam soup and Phad Thai.
Yes, the ducks still hang in the windows of the REAL Chinese restaurants where the waiters will probably converse with you in English since their Dutch isn't so great. When I say REAL Chinese, I mean as opposed to Indonesian Chinese which is a strange variant which I find a bit greasier and lacking the finesse of true Chinese cuisine. Those Indonesian Chinese restaurants don't usually have much in the way of regional Chinese cuisine, like say spicy Sichuan or Hunnan.

Besides restaurants and markets (which are great for stocking up for your home-cooked Asian meals), there are some very interesting shops with all sorts of dry goods from China. Everything from Dragon masks to ceramics to incense can be found in these stores.

The new Fo Kuang Shan temple, a Taiwanese organization, on the Zeedijk is a testament to the religious tolerance in Holland, as well as the prosperity of the local Chinese.

You can also find apothecaries selling all sorts of Asian remedies for whatever ails you. Martial arts schools can focus your mind and body and help develop confidence and clarity. It's interesting to note that the Zeedijk is now completely free of prostitutes and coffeeshops! Wow!

So the "new" Chinatown in Amsterdam has already transformed the Red Light District into a more friendly place for tourists and locals to enjoy Asian culture and great food!

Last edited by SHiRO; October 14th, 2005 at 02:33 AM.
SHiRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #14
Monkey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI
Is it true that Manchester is the most "Chinese" city of Europe?
No. London has a much bigger Chinese population and busier Chinatown.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #15
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO
Incidentally, Amsterdam is also the only European city beside London which has a Michellin starred Chinese restaurant (and a Japanese as well), as far as I know.

That's quite an intereting fact which I never knew. In London it must be Yauatcha which is a very sexy place indeed. However I wonder if there's really only one Chinese restaurant in London having a Michelin star?

Old October 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #16
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 25502

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
That's quite an intereting fact which I never knew. In London it must be Yauatcha which is a very sexy place indeed. However I wonder if there's really only one Chinese restaurant in London having a Michelin star?
I think Hakkasan has one too but Michelin are well known for being rather reticent to give non-European style restaurants stars.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #17
Monkey
BANNED

There are currently two Chinese restaurants in London with Michelin Stars - Yauatcha and Hakkasan. Both are stunning designs and both are owned by Alan Yau who also owns the small trendy Thai chain Busaba (three branches so far - much cheaper than Yauatcha or Hakkasan). Neither Yauatcha or Hakkasan are in Chinatown though Yauatcha is close by in another part of Soho. Alan Yau also founded the hugely successful Wagamama chain but I believe he was forced out. Busaba is much better than Wagamama in my opinion. His younger sister has opened a beautiful new Thai restaurant called Isarn. The Oriental at the Dorchester Hotel used to have a Michelin star and is still very highly rated as is Mr Chow. Mr Chow also has ultra trendy restaurants favoured by celebrities in New York and Beverley Hills.

Two London Japanese restaurants currently have Michelin stars - Nobu and Umu. Many were surprised that ultra trendy Zuma was not awarded. Nobu now has a second restaurant in Berkeley Square and they also have Ubon ("Nobu" spelt backwards) at Canary Wharf. There are a lot of very high quality and expensive Japanese restaurants in London and it surprises me that only two have been awarded stars. Michelin has come in for a lot of criticism for only having two critics for the whole of Britain, for favouring old favourites over dynamic newcomers, and for excessive bias towards French gastronomy.

London has one Thai Michelin starred restaurant (Nahm) and only one Indian (Tamarind). Zaika lost its star when star chef Vineet Bhatia moved to his new restaurant which has yet to be rated. As with Japanese it surprises me that so few Indian restaurants have stars as there are a lot of contendors. The Cinnamon Club and Amaya would be the most likely star candidates in my opinion.

Last edited by Monkey; October 14th, 2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #18
Monkey
BANNED

The upstairs tea room at Yauatcha - a huge variety of top class Chinese teas and also exquisite cakes are served here. The restaurant is downsairs but they have recently started serving dim sum upstairs too:

I could only find these shot of downstairs:

Old October 14th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #19
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
No. London has a much bigger Chinese population and busier Chinatown.
But Amsterdam is the single city of Europe to have a real buddhist temple. eheheh
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #20
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Does anyone have data on Chinese presence in Europe and even in single cities?
Advertisement