SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Retail in Liverpool

2M views 9K replies 343 participants last post by  Howie_P 
#1 ·
I thought it might be useful to have a general thread for retail in Liverpool. Not neccessarily just the city centre, but also further afield in district centres, and out of town retail parks. Obviously issues to do with Liverpool One can still go in the relevant thread, but I thought it would make sense to keep all news, comments, and discussion on other retail issues in the city together in one place.

First is some rather downbeat news that the stand-alone George store in Clayton Square Shopping Centre is to close - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...-asda-kills-off-george-brand-100252-20805562/

#4,361 ·
or tax heavily chewing gum makers and raise its retailing price, treat it as a nuisance and put all the raised money into a kitty for causes like better city parks and opne spaces, planting trees alongside most streets etc

same ought to be done with any carton-plastic packed food, from burgers to chocolate bars or cokes, they are unhealthy and also generate an enormous amount of rubbish

#4,363 ·
Planning application in to finally give the BHS store on Lord Street new signage to match the companies current branding.

Application Number: PL/INV/3931/15
Site Address: 79 Lord Street City Centre Liverpool Merseyside L2 6PG
Application Type: Advertisement
Proposal: Fascias - Aluminium Panels powder coated RAL 7015 with push through BHS logo, illuminated via static LED's. Projecting Sign - Aluminium Panels powder coated RAL 7015 with face applied vinyl BHS logo, non illuminated. High Level Flex - Non -illuminated Printed skin

#4,365 · (Edited)
From the BBC -

Blackler's Santa: Giant Father Christmas to return to Liverpool

A giant Santa Claus which towered over a Liverpool department store's Christmas grotto for two decades is to return to the city.

Only the head, hands and boots remain of the 21ft (7m) Blackler's Santa, which debuted in the 1960s.

After the store closed in 1988, the Father Christmas fell into disrepair.

It will be restored in time for Christmas 2016 after National Museums Liverpool chair Phil Redmond and wife Alexis donated £10,000 for the work.

The Santa was one of two created by artist Peter Blazey for the store while he was working there. The other was a two-dimensional work, which was also used to advertise the shop's grotto.
Article continues here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-35169285

Photo of the Santa in Blackler's as posted by Portobello Red in the Old Liverpool photos thread -

#4,368 ·
I remember when the store closed and then converted to the mismash of shops it is today, it wasnt a good day at all.

I remember the grotto, we used to go every year, it was like the start of Christmas when we were children. Cant really remember the Santa but I remember the horse.
It was the most amazing place, there were so many toys!!!!

I cant rememeber the year but I know the train from Garston terminated there because it used to stop at platform 1, which years later I found out was the only reason the points that are/were just outside the station were there.

Youre right though, back then Liverpool was the London of the north, the city was every bit as bright vibrant and busy as London with all the right connections.

It will be again, its only a matter of time espacially as the way the country is going we are a nation of consumers, and its placement means its port is perfect no matter what the government wants it will always be in a good place.

#4,371 ·
I'll admit this is one of these situations where you can't remember with 100% certainty, and you end up doubting yourself a little, but when I was in town the other week, ISTR seeing that signage already being up. Therefore are we sure this isn't a retrospective application?

With regard to Blacklers, not being quite as :ancient:, erm...'well-used' as some members of this parish, my only memory of the place is visiting the closing down sale when virtually everything had gone, therefore it'll be nice to have a bit of Liverpool history back on display next year.

#4,373 ·
I'll admit this is one of these situations where you can't remember with 100% certainty, and you end up doubting yourself a little, but when I was in town the other week, ISTR seeing that signage already being up. Therefore are we sure this isn't a retrospective application? With regard to Blacklers, not being quite as :ancient:, erm...'well-used' as some members of this parish, my only memory of the place is visiting the closing down sale when virtually everything had gone, therefore it'll be nice to have a bit of Liverpool history back on display next year.
Im sure the signage is up. I just dont think it has been painted black yet. You can still see where the old logo used to be as it was less faded.

I think signage at BHS is the least of their worries. Its like a time warp when you go inside. The new food bit is nothing more than a glorified corner shop. TJ's puts it too shame!

#4,374 ·
I'll admit this is one of these situations where you can't remember with 100% certainty, and you end up doubting yourself a little, but when I was in town the other week, ISTR seeing that signage already being up. Therefore are we sure this isn't a retrospective application
I think you're right. I've been reading through this thread thinking I was cracking up. Could have sworn that the new signage was up the other day. Was the old signage the 'swirly' BHS lettering?

#4,375 ·
I think you're right. I've been reading through this thread thinking I was cracking up. Could have sworn that the new signage was up the other day. Was the old signage the 'swirly' BHS lettering?
Yes the swirly sign was up there previously. There's been another logo in the meantime, before the current one. The current logo is definitely on the building already.

#4,378 · (Edited)
I'm afraid that your memory is rose-tinted. Liverpool 30 years ago was probably at its nadir. A time worth forgetting.
In terms of what was going on at the time, yes you are right it was desperate. But it was at that point in the throes of its still visible former role; Liverpool was asset stripped bit by bit, its descent from its peak happening over a considerable period of time. The mid 80s were indeed approaching the worst of times.

My point is that, when ambitious-less or remote people tell you what they think are the limits of its potential, we should remember what it used to be not all that long ago. And also remember how its decline actually came about - through failure to repair, the stripping away of its commerce, the impoverishment of its people, the dispersal of its population and the degradation of its facilities.

As Liverpool has over the past decade emerged itself from that soup and started to repair itself, we should remember the past and learn all kinds of lessons from it as we aim to build our way back.