What caught your eyes today? - Page 322 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old January 16th, 2018, 03:55 AM   #6421
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 15207

source: https://images.thestar.com

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2018, 05:28 PM   #6422
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14685

Is this the jet issue again?

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 10:20 PM   #6423
isaidso
the new republic

I suspect it's a jet issue disguised as a runway issue. This will crop up every few years till it gets approved. There's too much money at stake for 'turned down' to mean 'turned down permanently'.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2018, 01:53 AM   #6424
superlame

Likes (Received): 268

Yeah, I'm having deja-vu with this one.
superlame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:30 PM   #6425
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 12431

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Maybe it wants to operate the Bombardier CS jets that are now operational to expand its operations. Given the limited runway lengths at Billy Bishop, it is necessary to upgrade the airport to support higher ridership from far-flung destinations. I recall Porter wants to fly transcontinental services to the West Coast where Air Canada dominates the Toronto-California market... it will be interesting to watch whether Porter will be able to fly directly to Los Angeles and San Francisco at the same time (the latter you can split between San Francisco and San Josι).

Pittsburg • Piedmont • Petaluma • Palo Alto • Pacifica • Orinda • Oakley
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 02:08 AM   #6426
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2084

this looks pretty big, hadn't heard about it before

a construction photo from 2017

source
Old January 19th, 2018, 06:21 AM   #6427
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1726

Wow! I was in San Francisco a few months ago and saw the nearly completed Salesforce Tower but did not know about that amazing four level central multi-use corridor. Very impressive - and the park looks beautiful. Palm trees sure add a lot towards making a plaza look warm and inviting.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 07:22 AM   #6428
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I go through it every time I visit San Francisco. News for you: the ground level bus hub is now in service, with at least one Muni line, the 5-Fulton, now using the Salesforce Transit Center as its inbound terminal. Other agencies, including AC Transit, Amtrak California, Golden Gate Transit, Greyhound, Soltrans, and WestCAT (among others) will follow suit once the transit hub is complete. Caltrain and CA High Speed Rail will be docked on the lower floors of the structure, providing rail access to the Peninsula, San Jose, and beyond.

Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:16 PM   #6429
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Maybe it wants to operate the Bombardier CS jets that are now operational to expand its operations. Given the limited runway lengths at Billy Bishop, it is necessary to upgrade the airport to support higher ridership from far-flung destinations. I recall Porter wants to fly transcontinental services to the West Coast where Air Canada dominates the Toronto-California market... it will be interesting to watch whether Porter will be able to fly directly to Los Angeles and San Francisco at the same time (the latter you can split between San Francisco and San Josι).
Porter (and a lot of customers) would love to fly the C Series out of Billy Bishop to the West coast. A few years ago the city turned down a proposal for a runway extension to accommodate jets. It's a very divisive issue in Toronto and the 'no jets' side got their way.

The science indicates that the new jets aren't significantly noisier than the turboprops currently flying out of the airport but those opposed to jets argue that the science is false. I suspect they're more interested in killing the move to jets by any means. They question data even if they know it's accurate or refuse to accept any data that they don't like.

They say it's about noise but it's really about not wanting more traffic on the waterfront. It's hard to trust people/stay engaged when you know people are purposely misleading the public/being deceitful. I'm a bit frustrated and disappointed with the whole thing. Not wanting jets is fine but their argument got drowned out by their anger.

This issue will re-surface every 4-5 years due to the big economic benefit at stake.

Last edited by isaidso; January 22nd, 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 01:45 AM   #6430
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2084

speaking of the c-series and a similiar airport to toronto...

Old January 25th, 2018, 08:40 AM   #6431
Taller, Better
Administrator

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toront...8-8b-1.3773250

Toronto broke visitor records in 2017, 43.7 million visitors spent $8.8B

The Toronto skyline is seen through a soap bubble on Friday, April 14, 2017. (THE CANADIAN PRESS / Frank Gunn)

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:39AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:15AM EST

TORONTO -- An industry association says tourism in Toronto is booming, with a record 43.7 million people coming to the city last year and spending more than $8.8 billion.

Tourism Toronto says the numbers represent a 3.6 per cent and 9.1 per cent bump over 2016 respectively.

It says domestic travellers visit Toronto more than any other Canadian city, and notes that Toronto saw 10.4 million overnight domestic visitors last year.
Related Links
Meanwhile, there were nearly 3 million American overnight visitors and 2.1 million tourists from overseas destinations last year.

The association also says the number of tourists visiting Toronto from China has more than doubled over the last five years.

read it all here:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toront...8-8b-1.3773250

Old February 4th, 2018, 04:45 AM   #6432
isaidso
the new republic

Tim Hortons opens in Madrid to long line ups

Courtesy of twitter

Taller, Better liked this post
Old February 4th, 2018, 08:36 AM   #6433
Taller, Better
Administrator

Wow... seems like heavy coats for Madrid! Must be a lot of ex-pat Canadians!

This wonderful old photo of Toronto's Kensington Market in 1924 caught my eye. The market is still recognizably similar today, minus the vegetable carts:

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/...PICTURES-R-301

isaidso, fieldsofdreams, ainvan liked this post
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #6434
isaidso
the new republic

I find photos like that eerie sometimes. In just 5 years later the great depression would start. That boy on the right likely headed to fight in Europe 10 years after that.

Old February 4th, 2018, 06:38 PM   #6435
Taller, Better
Administrator

I hope he splurged and bought a few extra potatoes that day... he was pretty gaunt and thin.

Old February 4th, 2018, 07:10 PM   #6436
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I hope he splurged and bought a few extra potatoes that day... he was pretty gaunt and thin.
Gaunt is yet another new word for me.

In contrast of being thin, I got the great opportunity yesterday to meet the Speaker of the House from the State of Utah during the closing plenary of the conference I attended this week. The lesson I got from him is, no matter one's political stripe, if you support and champion for public transportation, I will be by his or her side.
[Center]

Old February 5th, 2018, 12:02 AM   #6437
ainvan

Likes (Received): 19024

Doug Ford for Premier?

Quote:
More than 1,500 attend Doug Ford rally on a snowy night

Ontario PC Party leadership candidate Doug Ford made it clear Saturday night he intends to stake out the same populist ground that won the Toronto mayor’s chair for his brother Rob in 2010.

“The stakes have never been higher…people in Ontario are suffering under the weight of high taxes and big government,” he told a crowd of more than 1,500 who came out to a hastily organized rally at the Toronto Congress Centre on a snowy night.

Introduced by three of his four daughters and accompanied on stage by his wife, Karla (wearing a sleek black ensemble), Ford told the energized crowd he will be the only candidate who will invest in keeping taxes low and is determined not to support policies that will keep Ontario less competitive.

Toronto Sun

His late brother was the most well-known mayor of Toronto here on the West Coast. It would be interesting to see his brother to become a premier.
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:08 AM   #6438
superlame

Likes (Received): 268

Doug Ford lost when he ran for mayor. He doesn't have the "charisma" of his late brother - honestly, I don't think he has a chance.

But time may prove me wrong.
superlame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:12 AM   #6439
Taller, Better
Administrator

I hope he doesn't have a chance, or God help us all.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:13 AM   #6440
isaidso
the new republic

He'd set Ontario back 20 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement