What caught your eyes today? - Page 419 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old January 6th, 2020, 08:33 AM   #8361
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 81050

$11,800 a month and all the BMWs you can drive: Vancouver House condos listed for rent

VANCOUVER -- For $11,800 a month, the luxury three-bedroom, three-bathroom apartment in Vancouver House could be yours.

Several units in the newly-completed condo tower, which was designed by internationally-renowned architect Bjarke Ingels, have recently been listed on Craigslist. The listings promise would-be renters access to the building's luxurious amenities – including a fleet of brand-new BMWs.

The 49-storey building with a distinctive top-heavy design rising over the Granville Bridge was developed by Vancouver real estate company Westbank. As the project neared completion in 2019, many pre-sale buyers attempted to flip their contracts to buy a completed unit before the building was finished and they were stuck having to pay GST and get financing for a mortgage.

Just two units are currently for sale: a two-bedroom, three-bathroom penthouse for $8.9 million, and a three-bedroom, five-bathroom unit for $6.8 million.

The developer recently unveiled the public art contribution for the project, a $4.8 million chandelier under the Granville Bridge that intermittently spins and lights up....

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/11-800-a-month...rent-1.4753369
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2020, 06:33 PM   #8362
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14685

Clearly out of my budget!

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 10:18 PM   #8363
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 15209

$11,800 monthly rent is a colossal waste of money; that's $394/day. I don't care how nice it is inside.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Taller, Better liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2020, 10:21 PM   #8364
isaidso
the new republic

A kid asks for a Leafs birthday cake and the bakery makes him this thing below. It happened in Quebec so maybe making a Maple Leaf Foods cake was their way of saying that Quebec is Montreal Canadiens territory.

Courtesy of CBC

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old January 7th, 2020, 12:51 AM   #8365
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2084

idiots, learn how to ask properly to avoid
Old January 7th, 2020, 01:14 AM   #8366
isaidso
the new republic

Well 'Leafs' is pretty specific. That word doesn't even exist in the English language. It only exists in reference to the Toronto Maple Leafs. It's bit much that not 1 staff member at that bakery realized that the boy wasn't looking for an homage to processed meat.

Old January 7th, 2020, 04:17 AM   #8367
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
idiots, learn how to ask properly to avoid
No, when asked to make a Maple Leafs cake in Quebec, and you get a Maple Leaf's Meat cake it is clear that it was done on purpose. Can you imagine if some kid in Toronto asked for a Canadien's cake and was handed a cake with a Canadian flag and lots of little Canadian people on it?

Old January 7th, 2020, 07:11 AM   #8368
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 12431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
$11,800 a month and all the BMWs you can drive: Vancouver House condos listed for rent

VANCOUVER -- For $11,800 a month, the luxury three-bedroom, three-bathroom apartment in Vancouver House could be yours.

Several units in the newly-completed condo tower, which was designed by internationally-renowned architect Bjarke Ingels, have recently been listed on Craigslist. The listings promise would-be renters access to the building's luxurious amenities – including a fleet of brand-new BMWs.

The 49-storey building with a distinctive top-heavy design rising over the Granville Bridge was developed by Vancouver real estate company Westbank. As the project neared completion in 2019, many pre-sale buyers attempted to flip their contracts to buy a completed unit before the building was finished and they were stuck having to pay GST and get financing for a mortgage.

Just two units are currently for sale: a two-bedroom, three-bathroom penthouse for $8.9 million, and a three-bedroom, five-bathroom unit for $6.8 million.

The developer recently unveiled the public art contribution for the project, a $4.8 million chandelier under the Granville Bridge that intermittently spins and lights up....

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/11-800-a-month...rent-1.4753369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Clearly out of my budget!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
$11,800 monthly rent is a colossal waste of money; that's $394/day. I don't care how nice it is inside.
CAD11,800 a month, which if I convert to USD would be $9,100... that is over the top pricey, especially when one of the perks would be choose your BMW. That's pricier than the average rent in San Francisco or San Jose, although I wouldn't be surprised if there are speculators or executives who will want to splurge on that rental.

Quote:
No, when asked to make a Maple Leafs cake in Quebec, and you get a Maple Leaf's Meat cake it is clear that it was done on purpose. Can you imagine if some kid in Toronto asked for a Canadien's cake and was handed a cake with a Canadian flag and lots of little Canadian people on it?
That would really cause a lot of headaches, especially if someone from outside their home market likes a particular team, but ends up getting a cake or design that does not really represent their favorite team. Perhaps it'd be better if that child ordered a cake specifically from Toronto or somewhere in Ontario and pay any shipping costs for it, or have someone else who is a fan of their particular team make that same cake, rather than just ordering it at a random bakery and have that kerfuffle.

Pittsburg • Piedmont • Petaluma • Palo Alto • Pacifica • Orinda • Oakley
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 05:55 PM   #8369
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there are speculators or executives who will want to splurge on that rental.
Yes, itsn't for regular joe like us but its clients would be like you said , some ceo in town for a month or two for business and the stars filming in the Hollywood North.
Old January 7th, 2020, 06:26 PM   #8370
Montrealer
City dweller

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
No, it isn't clear that it was done on purpose. We have tons of immigrants that work in bakeries / pastry shops, from France, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco etc and they wouldn't necessarily be familiar with the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. And there are also some "local" people that just don't follow hockey at all.

I just tried googling "Maple Leaf" instead of "Maple Leafs" (a mistake the person probably made) in the French-language version of Google Canada, and the first logo that come up is indeed the Maple Leaf Foods logo, and then a bunch of maple (the tree) leaves. Switch your Google to French and try it!

The Toronto Maple Leafs logo only appears on the 2nd page when you scroll down.

Looks like an honest mistake to me.

Last edited by Montrealer; January 7th, 2020 at 08:04 PM.
Montrealer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 08:57 PM   #8371
Taller, Better
Administrator

I read an article from a different source and perhaps it was an innocent mistake. The bakery did not have a template for the Maple Leafs
and she just told them to google it to get a template. She really should have taken a moment or two to show them exactly what she wanted.
So, it may have been done on purpose and it may have been an honest mistake. Shame that the poor kid did not get the cake he wanted and
apparently he would not eat any of the cake.
By the way, she was Québecoise, so it wasn't a language issue. It may very well have been an honest mistake.
https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...-foods-instead

Old January 7th, 2020, 10:41 PM   #8372
sallae2

Likes (Received): 4068

Quote:

I read an article from a different source
Oh Gee! This made the news in more than one media?
sallae2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 11:23 PM   #8373
Montrealer
City dweller

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
I read an article from a different source and perhaps it was an innocent mistake. The bakery did not have a template for the Maple Leafs
and she just told them to google it to get a template. She really should have taken a moment or two to show them exactly what she wanted.
So, it may have been done on purpose and it may have been an honest mistake. Shame that the poor kid did not get the cake he wanted and
apparently he would not eat any of the cake.
By the way, she was Québecoise, so it wasn't a language issue. It may very well have been an honest mistake.
https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...-foods-instead
The article (or any of the French-language ones) doesn't specify if she was Québécoise or not. Anyway there are many Québécois who don't follow hockey and who would have to google it to find a Maple Leafs logo. Originally Québécoise or not, a baker in Quebec uses the French version of Google Canada, where a "Maple Leaf" vs "Maple Leafs" image searches give different results. The Maple Leaf Foods logo comes up if you search for "Maple Leaf". So it's not surprising that she made the mistake.

And why would a merchant deliberately put the wrong logo anyway? That wouldn't be a good way to keep your customers. The whole thing is a (funny, except for the little boy) storm in a teacup.

And the boy is getting a free trip to Toronto to watch a Maple Leafs games, paid for by Maple Leaf foods. Everyone wins!

fieldsofdreams liked this post

Last edited by Montrealer; January 9th, 2020 at 05:56 PM.
Montrealer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 01:09 AM   #8374
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallae2 View Post
Oh Gee! This made the news in more than one media?
Well it's hockey and it's Canada.

Old January 8th, 2020, 06:20 AM   #8375
sallae2

Likes (Received): 4068

It is obvious, it's a Google's fault.

Now, if one google "Maple Leaf", the cake is in the top results.

sallae2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 07:06 AM   #8376
isaidso
the new republic

I'm still flabbergasted that it happened. I guess people really don't know as much about Canada as I thought... and I already thought people knew very little.

Old January 8th, 2020, 09:02 AM   #8377
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallae2 View Post
It is obvious, it's a Google's fault.

Now, if one google "Maple Leaf", the cake is in the top results.
But it wasn't supposed to be a Maple Leaf cake, but Maple Leafs, as in the hockey team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
The article (or any of the French-language ones) doesn't specify if she was Québécoise or not.

I'm really surprised that the bakery has stayed silent on this; you'd think they
would step up and do something for the kid. This may seem a tempest in a teacup unless you are a kid and expecting a Maple Leafs cake, and your friends get a hotdog cake instead; that is a downer. I'm happy he is getting a trip out of it, though.. that is AWESOME!!

Old January 8th, 2020, 10:01 PM   #8378
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2084

Quote:
i do it at work all the time, if the customers are idiots and ask for something I do it exactly as they asked for it.
For example they will order a bacon and cheese burger plain with just ketchup so I only put ketchup on it. Not my problem.

spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 04:14 AM   #8379
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Need to be more specific when order somethings and don't assume people would know what you really have in mind.
Old January 9th, 2020, 04:28 AM   #8380
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1484

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I'm still flabbergasted that it happened. I guess people really don't know as much about Canada as I thought... and I already thought people knew very little.
It's true for every country, though. Ask people from other countries how much they know about their country and you will get similar responses. It's mostly a general lack of interest in making yourself aware about your own country. People would rather spend more time following film actors than learning their own country's history or present.

When I ask people (in their 20s and 30s) born and brought up in Canada, about how much they have traveled in the country, their response is usually embarrassing to hear. Most of the people I asked haven't traveled beyond the nearby 2-3 provinces. I moved to Canada 3 years back and have already visited 6 provinces on vacation (not counting company sponsored work trips) along with a few international trips. Well, everyone have their own priorities.

isaidso liked this post
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement