What caught your eyes today? - Page 421 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old January 12th, 2020, 09:54 AM   #8401
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 15238

U betcha! Can I interest you in a bar? How about a square?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Taller, Better liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2020 at 10:02 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2020, 10:21 AM   #8402
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14686

That made me smile! Can you hear the "high talking" in the Fargo vid?
This guy reminds me of rural Manitoba, and I guess Prairies accents. Very working
class:

The girl at 2:45 sounded more like she was putting on a "French accent" from movies
than a Quebec accent in English.

Corner Gas had some good rural accents, but Letterkenny takes the cake for rural, lower educated accents. I know it is exaggerated somewhat but it is funny as heck, and I can certainly remember people back home who talked like that. I think this is supposed to be rural Ontario, but it could be "small town" anywhere from Ontario to the West coast.
"Does a duck with a boner drag weeds"? made he laugh out loud:

The actor, Jared Keeso, comes from Listowell, Ontario. He has a less strong accent in real life, but still has a rural twang:

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 09:16 PM   #8403
isaidso
the new republic

Living where we do those accents in the first video sound a little foreign to me but I do remember them. Nova Scotia has it's version of it and then there's the Cape Breton accent which is its own thing altogether. Working class Toronto seems to have its own accent too. I had no idea what this guy was talking about when he ended his sentence with 'fam'. Is that a Toronto thing or do working class people say that elsewhere too? Below is an example of the accent I hear quite regularly. They're usually young and working class. Most of the kids at Jarvis Collegiate in downtown Toronto talk like this. It's so bizarre. The guy doing the video has the Toronto accent I'm familiar with.

The accent on Letterkenney is the most foreign to me as I've never spent much time in rural Canada. The show is set based on Keeso's hometown of Listowel. My co-worker is from there. She said the characters on the show are accurate to the point that she thinks its based on people she's met.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2020 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2020, 09:40 PM   #8404
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2084

the mom of an old friend from Stratford had a really strong accent, very similar to a Minnesota one. very SW ONtario.
Old January 12th, 2020, 09:48 PM   #8405
isaidso
the new republic

It's odd how people from very different regions can have a similar accent. SW Ontario and Minnesota aren't that close to each other. Someone from out west told me he thought the girl in the Nova Scotia wild blueberries commercial had a southern US accent. She actually has a very typical rural Nova Scotia accent although hers was very strong. He thought it was southern American because of the 'twang'. I don't find it southern American. To me she just sounds rural Nova Scotian; mainlander as Cape Breton is a whole other cattle of fish.

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old January 12th, 2020, 11:41 PM   #8406
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Living where we do those accents in the first video sound a little foreign to me but I do remember them. Nova Scotia has it's version of it and then there's the Cape Breton accent which is its own thing altogether. Working class Toronto seems to have its own accent too. I had no idea what this guy was talking about when he ended his sentence with 'fam'. Is that a Toronto thing or do working class people say that elsewhere too? Below is an example of the accent I hear quite regularly. They're usually young and working class. Most of the kids at Jarvis Collegiate in downtown Toronto talk like this. It's so bizarre. The guy doing the video has the Toronto accent I'm familiar with.

The accent on Letterkenney is the most foreign to me as I've never spent much time in rural Canada. The show is set based on Keeso's hometown of Listowel. My co-worker is from there. She said the characters on the show are accurate to the point that she thinks its based on people she's met.

I've heard this claim before that people in Toronto have some sort of Caribbean patois... this may be for a certain niche group (maybe the type of people Rob Ford hung out with), but as a person who lives here I can attest that very few people who are not from the Caribbean would speak this way. I've never encountered it, at any rate
and I deal with the public on a daily basis. I suppose it is kind of a wannabe accent.

I can totally relate to the Letterkenny accent, and it is pretty much what I heard growing up in a small Prairie town. Our accents were also influenced by the fact that most people in our community were either Scottish or Irish or at least of that descent, so there was totally that influence thrown in as well, especially in the intonation of voice and the speech patterns. The first time I went to NYC in the late 70's, I was frequently asked if I were Irish. I've modified my accent a lot over the years but still get asked if I'm Irish now and then, which mystifies me because to my ear I sound like everyone else. I think it is mostly an issue of cadence.

I find small town people often end every sentence by raising their voice as if they are asking a question. This is a pretty common trait amongst rural people in other English speaking countries like Australia or Britain. It is so annoying when people end all their sentences sounding like they are asking a question.
When I go to small town Canada, I expect to hear this type of Letterkenny speech.
You can often tell that someone is from Montreal when they speak French, they frequently squeeze the ending of words in their mouth, creating a zzzzzzt or a sssssst sound that almost sounds like a hiss or a lisp. "Viande" becomes "Vzzzzznt". And small town Quebeckers have a definite vowel shift... "LaPresse" becomes "LaPryze". Again, this varies depending on the educational levels of the speaker.

This actor completely nails one of the gutter accents in Britain:

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old January 13th, 2020, 12:01 AM   #8407
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's odd how people from very different regions can have a similar accent. SW Ontario and Minnesota aren't that close to each other. Someone from out west told me he thought the girl in the Nova Scotia wild blueberries commercial had a southern US accent. She actually has a very typical rural Nova Scotia accent although hers was very strong. He thought it was southern American because of the 'twang'. I don't find it southern American. To me she just sounds rural Nova Scotian; mainlander as Cape Breton is a whole other cattle of fish.

If I had been asked to place her accent I would have said 100% American. "Wild" becomes "Walled", "Atlantic Canada" becomes "Atlaintic Cainada". "Planted" becomes "plainted". I would have bet, and lost money on that! It's nasal and borderline Beverly Hillbillies, or maybe Sarah Palin, to my ear. At 0.08 I still can't figure out where she is saying that these little guys only grow.
By the way I love those Canadian wild blueberries and always have a bag in my freezer. You Betcha!

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old January 13th, 2020, 07:57 AM   #8408
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 81269

'It resets your brain': Karate devotees hit Vancouver beach for chilly winter session

Dozens of karate devotees in Vancouver braved the city's coldest weather of the season Saturday and worked out at English Bay beach, part of a 50-year tradition.

Sensei Akira Sato, who instructs at Shitoryu Satokai Canada in Vancouver, says he brings his students to the beach to throw punches and kicks for an hour each year on the bone-chilling sand.

"It's cold and it's tough, but it builds up a strong spirit," he said.

The challenge has been done in the rain and the snow. For 2020, the temperature hovered around four degrees, but a harsh winter wind made it feel much colder.

Student Mike Nakatsu said the weather is not pleasant, but the challenge is transformative.

"It's just kind of a way to put yourself out of your daily mundane life," he said.

"Sometimes the heart stops, you can't breath, testicles shrink, it gets pretty cold out there, but it resets your brain so you're ready for the next challenge in your life."

The session ended with the students going into the water as waves broke on the beach.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.5424056
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 08:10 AM   #8409
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 81269

Falling ice on Metro Vancouver bridges blamed for 67 insurance claims

The so-called "ice bombs" that fell from Metro Vancouver bridges Friday have been blamed for 67 insurance claims so far, according to ICBC.

The Crown corporation told CTV News it has received 41 claims related to falling ice on the Port Mann Bridge, plus another 24 from the Alex Fraser Bridge and two from the Golden Ears Bridge.

Const. Omar Hamidi with the RCMP's Lower Mainland Traffic Services told CTV News the falling ice left some drivers' windshields "pretty much destroyed," and said the closure was necessary to protect public safety.

Hoping to mitigate the risk of so-called "ice bombs," the province installed a cable collar system on the Alex Fraser in 2018 that was meant to clear snow and prevent vehicles from being damaged by falling ice.

The system includes 10 collars, but they require manual operation by rope-access technicians to clear the cables.

Before those were installed, the transportation ministry used other creative approaches to clear the cables, including a chopper that was flown overhead to blow away snow and ice on at least one occasion in 2016.

The Port Mann Bridge has faced similar issues in previous years and also has snow-clearing collars on each of its 288 cables. They were installed in 2012 after about 350 vehicles were damaged from falling ice.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/falling-ice-on...k&_gsc=YWLLrVW
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 11:19 PM   #8410
spongeg

Canada ranks second in annual Best Countries report

AIDAN WALLACE Updated: January 15, 2020

Canada’s not doing too shabby.

According to the annual Best Countries report from U.S. News, Canada is the second-best overall country in the world.

The 20,000 person survey was developed in conjunction with the University of Pennsylvania and scored 73 nations according to 65 attributes split up into nine categories such as power and quality of life, and cultural influence.

Apart from being the second-best country overall, Canada also landed in the top 10 of other categories.

For the second year in a row, Canada ranked third in the “Best Countries for Education” survey, which measured countries based on “a well-developed education system, whether people would consider attending university there and if that country provides a top-quality education.”

Only the education offered by the United Kingdom and the United States ranked above Canada.

Canada also made the top five “Best Countries for Raising Kids” list, placing fourth – the same result as 2019 – beaten only by Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.

A few of the measures the researchers used to create the ranking are: “Its environment for gender equality, being seen as happy, and having income equality.”

It wasn’t all good news for the great white north, however.

Canada was ranked 10th out of the countries in terms of the top countries for green living.

https://vancouversun.com/news/nation...2-e4248079a12b

Taller, Better, fieldsofdreams liked this post
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 01:26 AM   #8411
isaidso
the new republic

Bloody Swiss denying our rightful place at #1.

Old January 17th, 2020, 09:06 AM   #8412
Taller, Better
Administrator

Old January 20th, 2020, 12:00 AM   #8413
spongeg

weird to think places like this exist

Old January 20th, 2020, 02:13 AM   #8414
isaidso
the new republic

Really? I've never been anywhere that didn't have them. It's a whole separate retail category with its share of devotees. I can think of 2 such places within a 10 minute walk from me here in Downtown Toronto. The Maritimes are very much like this. The countryside and small towns remind me a lot of Nova Scotia.

Last edited by isaidso; January 20th, 2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old January 21st, 2020, 06:23 AM   #8415
Taller, Better
Administrator

Yeah, I've seen a million places like that, too. Junk shops/antique shops/knick knack shop...

Old January 21st, 2020, 06:55 AM   #8416
spongeg

no I mean amish country, people who live like its the 1800s.

In northern alberta we have some hudderites or menonites or something, women can't wear pants and they must keep their heads covered.
Old January 21st, 2020, 06:56 AM   #8417
spongeg

Toronto on track to have more skyscrapers than Chicago, but will quality match quantity?

Toronto has the 3rd highest number of skyscrapers in North America
Talia Ricci · CBC News · Posted: Jan 17, 2020

A photo taken from the CN Tower's look-out level shows Toronto's growing core. The city's chief planner says the skyline will look a lot different in a decade as Toronto embraces a period of growth. (Talia Ricci/CBC)

It's no secret that Toronto is getting taller. You can see the evidence throughout the downtown skyline and beyond. But what Torontonians might not know is that their city could soon outstrip Chicago in the number of skyscrapers over 150 metres.

According to statistics from the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, Toronto has 67 skyscrapers, 31 are under construction and 59 are proposed.

Chicago's skyline now boasts 126 skyscrapers, but the city only has 19 buildings proposed or under construction.

This means in a few years, Toronto could have 157 skyscrapers while Chicago would sit at 145, bringing Canada's largest city to second place in North America after New York's 284 skyscrapers.

John Straube, associate professor in the department of civil engineering and the school of architecture at University of Waterloo, says this is a milestone that's been on the horizon for a while.

"Part of the reason we're getting a lot of skyscrapers is because we're a younger city, we're reaching our peak," Straube said.

"Chicago did that more than 30 years ago."

A model of the city is displayed at Toronto's city hall. The chief planner says as Toronto becomes more of a global city, there will be an increasing level of creativity in the newer skyscrapers. (Talia Ricci/CBC )

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...cago-1.5429816
Old January 21st, 2020, 10:24 PM   #8418
isaidso
the new republic

Even 5 years ago I would have flat out said 'no' as to whether quality would match quantity. Standards continually improve each year. If the buildings under construction are any indication I suspect quality will eventually match quantity. There are some very top shelf proposals coming down the pipe.

That downtown Toronto model at City Hall looked cool when it was unveiled but they haven't kept up with construction. Things look quite different today than is depicted in that model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
no I mean amish country, people who live like its the 1800s.

In northern alberta we have some hudderites or menonites or something, women can't wear pants and they must keep their heads covered.
Most of Alberta's Hutterites live in southern Alberta. In Manitoba it's mostly Mennonite, in Ontario mostly Mennonite with some Amish mixed in, and in Nova Scotia they're almost all Mennonite. Not sure about other provinces. I guess you don't have Ana-baptist groups in the Lower Mainland.

Last edited by isaidso; January 21st, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 08:17 AM   #8419
spongeg

Where I grew up in Northern BC we had some Mennonites, they like the Northern Alberta ones are very blonde and speak a weird German sounding language interspersed with English. We also had some communes of Ex-Americans who came up and formed large communities, a lot along the Alaska Highway, they were some kind of religious sect.

I don't think I've seen any groups like that in the Lower Mainland, maybe out in Chilliwack.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 09:02 AM   #8420
Taller, Better
Administrator

Good article. It is beyond astonishing the number of towers that have been built in Toronto since I started here on SSC; honestly for a skyscraper enthusiast it has been a dream
come true. The article was asking are the average condominiums built for 20-30 year olds starter homes built of the same quality as the prestigious show-piece head office towers of Bay and King that were built in the 70's/80's. The answer is, of course, no.
Those were designed by architects like mies van der rhoe or IM Pei, and had unlimited budgets.
Just as it would be said for average residential buildings going up in any NYC, Chicago, Montreal, or Vancouver compared to the older luxury head office buildings.

"Straube says his favourite Toronto buildings are First Canadian Place and Scotia Plaza because "they're durable and look like they will stand the test of time."

Well, they are my favourite, also, but it is surprising how many people forget that there is a correlation between budget and "quality" of the finished building. But will
any of them still be around in 190 years like Osgoode Hall is today? Or a thousand years like castles in Europe? Unlikely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement