Projects & Discussion | NSW | Old Scanned Articles, Photos & Proposals - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #81
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 620

I'd love to see it added to the city mode, that and the angel place design.
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #82
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 21833

^ i never got to make models of the big ones. just current design.
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #83
CULWULLA

SYDNEY'S NEVER BUILT>
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/s...t=7&ht=2&sro=1
some of towers i wished were built>

227m southpoint- site of meritons Regis towers
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=169646

244m angle place
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=180011

235m bligh apartments
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=262241
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #84
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Southpoint looks like it's a mixture of the The Peak Apartments in Haymarket and Chatswood Citadel Towers.

Cannot believe that the block it was proposed now has filth that will never be torn down. Regis Towers are the amongst the worst highrise built in Sydney.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #85
Austraarabian

Likes (Received): 5

Imagine all these "never built" buildings were up right now? Sydney would be even more amazing. Its ashame that Sydney has i think the highest amount of buildings that were never built?? Or one of. Most of them were all tall ones too. Why is it tall ones ALWAYS get shelved for, and medium rise never? ALso, all the never built towers look amazing! I cant even complain about one of them. I like the old MLC building proposal too and who can forget AUstralia's most famous never built tower.... CBD1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Austraarabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #86
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

along with height control thread, this is even worse in terms of how heartbreaking it is!!!!
MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #87
Brendan

Likes (Received): 30

It's sad knowing that these would have been in the skyline. I really wish CBD-1 was built..

Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #88
CULWULLA

^ that was approved at 240m high or 4 of those cross framed boxes. It was deemed too overpowering at the Rocks. 150m above CASA height limit.
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #89
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 8405

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
the 421m Skytower.
just think, bldgs these size are going up in Dubai as we speak.

Wow, that would have been very, very cool, very HK in style. Imagine that thing catching the morning/evening light, would look spectacular.

I had a look through that never built list on Emporis... I never realised how many great tall tower proposals Sydney had (Well except for the naff Seidler one), but the rest, Wow, top stuff.

All that might have been... sacrificed under the altar of Sydney tower and a few shadows.

I don't know how you Sydney formers can stand it!
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #90
Austraarabian

Its very frustrating that we have been hit with punitive sanctions in our city. We feel like we are being punished just for being the best... !! I believe with greater awareness, the next economic and realestate boom, heights will begin to go up. Or we just have to wait until Clover gets the boot.
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #91
CP Doom

Likes (Received): 44

Yes, I gather by reading through the forums that Clover Moore is a real tool. I doubt just getting rid of her will help though. Sydney seems to be infested with these people. In 100 years, Sydney Tower will still be the tallest..... hope Im wrong.

CBD1 looks awesome. Imagine it from the harbour during sunrise or sunset. Wow!
CP Doom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #92
Austraarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Doom View Post

Yes, I gather by reading through the forums that Clover Moore is a real tool. I doubt just getting rid of her will help though. Sydney seems to be infested with these people. In 100 years, Sydney Tower will still be the tallest..... hope Im wrong.

Not if sum1 crazy comes along and disposes of all this madness! Im being sarcastic, I agree with you. SYdney Tower has been the tallest building since its inception aound 30 or more yrs ago? And is still the tallest by a big margin!! I dont think thats gonna change, until maybe 50-60 years from now.
I mean what makes the next 30 yrs so special? If we went through a massive boom and nuthn went higher, i dont think now during stagnation something will surpass. ***sigh*** Its funny, because if you are from outside Sydney, you think supertalls are going up left right and centre endlessly... Thats what a lot of ppl think.
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #93
CP Doom

Likes (Received): 44

ha ha, my wife just asked me what im doing. I gave her the short version, including my opinion Clover Moore should rack off somewhere in the outback. My wife agreed wholeheartedly
CP Doom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #94
CULWULLA

heres a diagram ive been meaning to put together for years. Its the evolution of the current Citigroup Centre site.
It all started way back in 1984 when existing Waltons bldgs and other small sites were amalgamated to make way for new building. All proposals were office tower atop retail podium.
the tallest approval was a massive tower. it was aprox 240m with spire reaching 275m/900ft.

Last edited by CULWULLA; January 27th, 2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #95
zach24

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Doom View Post

It is interesting to note how angry people become when a city has no plan. But when someone comes in with a plan (Clover Moore) people become even angrier. I think Clover Moore is an amazing asset to this city and that she is unstoppable in both her seats (state and local government).
zach24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #96
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Clover has done a good job as Lord Mayor and her ideas are realistic ie trams. She along with her team is an asset to the city.

I'm disappointed that she continues to support the ALP as an MP in the NSW Parliament. I've heard if there's a hung parliament at the March election, she will support Iemma, even though they were behind the reforms to the city council which she strongly opposed and has ignored her ideas on improving the city.

Back on the topic of never builts, I like the two approved designs for Park Plaza from 1990 and 1991. The 1990 proposal truely resembles the Empire State Building. Would of been fantastic for Sydney. Very lucky that they could go over the 235 metre limit. I'd be the only scraper over the limit. I don't understand why the SCC cannot approve a tower of that height. It's not that much taller.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #97
Brizer

Likes (Received): 6719

The best design was the 2nd last one though it doesn't look it in the diagram. Designed by Kisho Kurosawa (sp?), who has buildings in both Brisbane and Melbourne, it was a sleek, cool, glassy tower in a slightly eliptical shape above a podium that covered the entire Walton's block, which the rather less impressively designed Citigroup Centre now occupies. If we couldn't have the super tall one, we should at least, have got the best designed one!
I'm not a great fan of Clover, though I think she is improving, but it has to be pointed out, the height limits and shadowing restrictions were already well established when she came to power.
Brizer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #98
cammo2004
Unacquainted Acquaintance

Likes (Received): 80

I'm not particularly a fan of Clover either, but to her credit, she recognises Sydney's need for improved public transport, which is absolutely essential to further Sydney. Otherwise we'll end up a forgotten, choking, smog-infested mess that nobody cares about.
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #99
CULWULLA

in 1994, the CSPC voted on current LEP . Sartor was LM, and he loves tall bldgs. go figure
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #100
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 8405

Great diagram Culwulla, kind of a worrying downward slide though.

Sydney is such a powerhouse you can't help but wonder what kind of buildings it could put up.

I mean we are managing 250m buildings pretty easy up here in Brisbane atm, I can't help but think that were restrictions lifted in Sydney you could punch out some 400m ones again.

Oh well, on the other hand you got the harbour and all that, the rest of us have to have something, might as well be tallies:P
Advertisement

Tags
sydney