INDIANAPOLIS | Off Topic Discussions - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Indianapolis

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #21
DowntownIndianapolis
Retired

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
Yeah well its just a shame that the political crap has to be everywhere. I just come here to learn about developments and look at pretty pictures
Yet you have spewed plenty of political stuff over the years.
(Yes I remember it very well. Im not someone to play the memory game with)
DowntownIndianapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #22
DowntownIndianapolis
Retired

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
If Trump can be reigned in by Pence, Congress, the courts, and the media then he may prove productive in specific areas. We should all want Trump to do well, since he is going to be the pilot of this plane we are on. However, this emboldening of bigotry that has occurred since his election, and his selection of anti-science, anti-LGBT, and, in the case of Steve Bannon, white supremacist appointees, could potentially hurt our economy much more than compromises with local industries is able to help it. One need only look at what RFRA cost us economically, and what anti-LGBT legislation in North Carolina cost the state and the governor that sponsored such moves.
Bigotry has existed LONG before Trump. Plus Hillary's campaign has emboldened bigotry as well. The extremes on both sides are guilty so lets not act like its only Trump.
The firebombing of GOP headquarters in Orange County North Carolina being a good example of leftist terrorism and bigotry.
San Francisco is one of the most Intolerant and bigoted cities in America as well. It rivals your rural southern places in Intolerance.
DowntownIndianapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #23
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownIndianapolis View Post
Bigotry has existed LONG before Trump. Plus Hillary's campaign has emboldened bigotry as well. The extremes on both sides are guilty so lets not act like its only Trump.
The firebombing of GOP headquarters in Orange County North Carolina being a good example of leftist terrorism and bigotry.
How? How did Clinton embolden bigotry?

Was there evidence that the firebombing was done by "leftist terrorism?", furthermore, didn't local democrats pool resources to help them rebuild?

Quote:
San Francisco is one of the most Intolerant and bigoted cities in America as well. It rivals your rural southern places in Intolerance.
How? I'm genuinely asking.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #24
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 729

Saving a 1000 jobs is wonderful news for the Carrier workers and Indy/Indiana in general, but to quote Jared Bernstein, "No one should confuse what Trump is doing here with sustainable economic policy."

It should also be noted that United Technologies is a specific instance of leverage for Trump, as a significant portion of their business is defense contracting and they don't want to piss off an incoming president.

JohnM Indy, Paul1712, IndyJohn liked this post
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #25
indyresearch

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesIndy View Post
Totally hate most everything that Trump stands for, BUT his presidency does have the potential to stimulate Indiana's economy... IF he doesn't destroy the entire country's economy. Having a VP who was selected as a sitting governor, and a president who won his party's primary when he won our state, should hopefully have a good impact on our economy.

P.S.
I'd really love for Donald Trump to not be president. I am only pointing out that Indiana may become one of the few states to benefit from it. I am just holding out hope that congress will block his proposals that rape our constitution.

Also, I think this is on topic because it relates to Indianapolis development even if it's based on national politics. I'm not trying to start a political conversation, I'm just trying to thoroughly explain that a president elect I hate may turn out to be positive for Indiana.
Anytime the whole forest is cut down, someone stands to benefit.
indyresearch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #26
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Saving a 1000 jobs is wonderful news for the Carrier workers and Indy/Indiana in general, but to quote Jared Bernstein, "No one should confuse what Trump is doing here with sustainable economic policy."

It should also be noted that United Technologies is a specific instance of leverage for Trump, as a significant portion of their business is defense contracting and they don't want to piss off an incoming president.
Yep. I am happy for the workers who will not lose their jobs. But this seems like an instance where Trump is either implicitly or explicitly coercing a defense contractor to do something, Mike Pence is leveraging his position with his soon-to-be-former-employer to help his new employer, the taxpayers of Indiana are paying for it, and Trump gets to take credit for it. Yet another instance of Trump using OPM, and this time it happens to be our money. I hope it's worth it.
JohnM Indy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #27
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1847

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM Indy View Post
Yep. I am happy for the workers who will not lose their jobs. But this seems like an instance where Trump is either implicitly or explicitly coercing a defense contractor to do something, Mike Pence is leveraging his position with his soon-to-be-former-employer to help his new employer, the taxpayers of Indiana are paying for it, and Trump gets to take credit for it. Yet another instance of Trump using OPM, and this time it happens to be our money. I hope it's worth it.
In today's story is the confirmation that "the state will provide incentives".

I hope like heck there is a clawback with significant penalties. Otherwise we're just showing the next company the way to get free money from the state to keep jobs in Indiana instead of moving them here.
cdc guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #28
cdc guy

Is it just me, or did a bunch of posts about Carrier just disappear, rather than being moved to "off topic"?

WesIndy liked this post

Last edited by cdc guy; November 30th, 2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:08 PM   #29
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 34

1876 map of Indianapolis.

http://www.antiquemapsandglobes.com/...00-92443967331

CorrND liked this post
benjaminooo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:03 AM   #30
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1697

Very interesting! A few things I found intriguing: Women's Reformatory was already there, south of Woodruff Place; Original alignment of Fall Creek - meeting White River further south; The exposition grounds up around 10th and Meridian.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:01 PM   #31
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Very interesting! A few things I found intriguing: Women's Reformatory was already there, south of Woodruff Place; Original alignment of Fall Creek - meeting White River further south; The exposition grounds up around 10th and Meridian.
That "Tenth" was before streets were re-numbered. It was actually about 19th...the street labeled "Clifford" is today's 10th, and Twelfth is near today's 22nd.

The Expo grounds had been the Civil War Camp Morton, in what's now Herron Morton Place between Central and Delaware (from Wikipedia):
Quote:
Camp Morton was a military training ground and a Union prisoner-of-war camp in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, during the American Civil War. It was named for Indiana governor Oliver Morton. Prior to the war, the site served as the fairgrounds for the Indiana State Fair. During the war, Camp Morton was initially used as a military training ground. The first Union troops arrived at the camp in April 1861. After the fall of Fort Donelson and the Battle of Shiloh, the site was converted into a prisoner-of-war camp. The first Confederate prisoners arrived at Camp Morton on February 22, 1862; its last prisoners were paroled on June 12, 1865. At the conclusion of the war, the property resumed its role as the fairgrounds for the Indiana State Fair. In 1891 the property was sold and developed into a residential neighborhood known as Morton Place, a part of the Herron-Morton Place Historic District.
Note that the "Blind Asylum" was on what's now American Legion Mall.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:41 PM   #32
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
That "Tenth" was before streets were re-numbered. It was actually about 19th...the street labeled "Clifford" is today's 10th, and Twelfth is near today's 22nd.

The Expo grounds had been the Civil War Camp Morton, in what's now Herron Morton Place between Central and Delaware (from Wikipedia):

Note that the "Blind Asylum" was on what's now American Legion Mall.
My timewasting this morning leads me to conclude that 7th = today's 16th, 8th = 17th, 9th = 19th (under the current system 18th is on what really is a half-block), 10th = 20th, and 12th = 21st.
JohnM Indy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:32 PM   #33
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM Indy View Post
My timewasting this morning leads me to conclude that 7th = today's 16th, 8th = 17th, 9th = 19th (under the current system 18th is on what really is a half-block), 10th = 20th, and 12th = 21st.
And it continued north to the former south end of Broad Ripple. Kessler, now 59th across Meridian Kessler, was once 50th. (I once lived on 58th, and my title abstract showed it was "formerly 49th St.")
Old February 4th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #34
rnimry

Likes (Received): 472

Indy Eleven’s owner, investment group say there’s urgency to MLS bid

http://www.ibj.com/articles/62334-in...ncy-to-mls-bid ...sorry "dude" while I'm all for another major league team...just because you're "urgent" doesn't mean you can force everyone's hand. And apparently within the article, MLS mandated teams can't play in football or baseball stadiums which is crazy..but we know what this is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The window on Ersal Ozdemir’s dream of bringing a Major League Soccer franchise to Indianapolis might be closing—fast.

The Indianapolis real estate developer has had ambitions of joining the country’s top-tier league since launching the Indy Eleven in the lower-tier North American Soccer League more than three years ago.

“When I started the team, I said I’d look at moving to the MLS down the road,” Ozdemir told IBJ. “We’re down the road.”

That’s why on Jan. 31, the Eleven submitted a bid to become one of four expansion teams in the MLS—a proposal that included a $100 million-plus stadium. He said the latter is necessary whether the team moves up to the MLS or stays in the NASL.

“Without a new stadium, we have some serious decisions to make,” he said.

He declined to divulge details. But he said he’s lost money in each of the three years the team has played at IUPUI, which includes the first year when the team sold out every available seat and led the NASL in attendance at 10,465 per game. He said the
20 percent decline
over the subsequent two years is due largely to the venue’s shortcomings. In total, he said, he’s lost “millions.”
rnimry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #35
GarfieldPark

Congrats to the Pacers! They're on a 6 game winning streak. Tough games coming up though - with OKC and Cleveland coming to town next.
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #36
GarfieldPark

Big, exciting win tonight over Oklahoma City - 93 - 90. Seven wins in a row now. Wednesday night another very tough game against Cleveland.

bigIndy liked this post
Old February 12th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #37
TheRings

Likes (Received): 756

How much does it cost for a tourist a day in Indianapolis ?
TheRings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #38
rnimry

Likes (Received): 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRings View Post
How much does it cost for a tourist a day in Indianapolis ?
That would depend on what their interests are/what they like (or want) to do.
rnimry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #39
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Had a great time in your city this past weekend.. was blessed with some amazing weather, and a local to show me around a little. Looking forward to a return trip here in the near future!

Very much enjoyed the canal walk, the monument at the circle, 9/11 memorial.... and the book kiosks outside the library were a really cool amenity! -All free of charge

indymidlander liked this post
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #40
GarfieldPark

Glad you had a good time. With the new, improved US 24 between Toledo and Ft Wayne (Port to Fort), its not too bad of a drive at all going from Toledo to Indy and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement