Bike helmet - no need for mandatory use? - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Cycling

Cycling All about fastest, healthiest and cheapest way to go around town

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #41
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 8775

Whichever one makes you smile, I'm not picky.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:41 PM   #42
kosk

Likes (Received): 943

I reckon that helmet should be mandatory. On narrow cycling tracks when using a small folding bicycle sometimes it is easy to make a mistake and fall as the small ones are a bit unstable when doing sudden turns. On the other hand when you use a regular bicycle on the road, then the danger of getting hit by a car or other vehicle is more than evident. Try not to forget wearing your helmet.
kosk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:59 AM   #43
Magnum Opus

Likes (Received): 105

I agree, helmets should be mandatory in cars. There are more head injuries in cars than on bicycles.

For transport by bicycles on the other hand, safety is in numbers and in infrastructure. If you make helmets mandatory, the amount of cyclist goes down and you decrease safety. On top of that, studies point out that cars pass much closer if you wear a helmet. There is a whole file on this on copenhagenize.com
There is not a single bicycle friendly country where helmets are mandatory.

For sports cycling, I do believe that it could be useful to wear a helmet.

Last edited by Magnum Opus; February 23rd, 2016 at 02:50 PM.
Magnum Opus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:51 PM   #44
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3618

This is all silly...If we mandate cars and bikes to travel at the same speed as a pedestrian everything would work in unison...no need for helmets...although we may need outrigger wheels on bikes ?
Old February 23rd, 2016, 02:48 PM   #45
Magnum Opus

Likes (Received): 105

Of course it is silly to have helmets in cars (the article is cynical), as it is silly to have mandatory helmets for cyclists. Again, no country that has a good cycling mode share, has mandatory cycling helmets.

I didn't say that they should travel at the same speed. When I said infrastructure, I meant cycling paths for cyclist and side walks for pedestrians, like you have in the Netherlands, Danmark, Germany, Belgium.....
As a proxy to know where cycling infrastructure is, I like this map. Standard focus on France, but you can zoom in and out.

Silly_Walks, kosk, Marky1999 liked this post
Magnum Opus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 05:51 PM   #46
mramelet

Likes (Received): 34

Formula 1 or other race cars drivers wear helmets. Not the usual driver around the corner.
Same thing goes for bicycles. You don't need one when you ride slowly. Yes, sometimes it could save lifes. But it could also save lifes of some pedestrian and car drivers involved in accident. At low speed, reflex will avoid the head to be damaged when falling on the ground for example. And when a car, or worse a truck is involved, most of the time the helmet wouldn't help anyway.
One exception is kids. They don't have the same reflex as adults. As a father, I do have my kids wear helmets. If I want a law or make it compulsory? No. Better kids with their parents on bikes than in a car.
But they should know this fact, so I'd rather vote for prevention

dvernik liked this post
mramelet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #47
LARGE ARTS

Likes (Received): 3

A recent study of cycling crashes by the University of NSW in Australia found that wearing a helmet reduced the risk of death in a crash by 65 per cent and serious injury by 69 per cent.
LARGE ARTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #48
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 965

Link?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:57 AM   #49
yeahbabyuhhuh

Likes (Received): 36

In my opinion helmets are completely unnecessary for casual riding and commuting.

I do ride a helmet every time on my road bike because they're basically just a hat that doesn't fly off. They keep your head from getting sunburnt...they keep your head warm in the winter...they keep the rain from bothering you as much. A side benefit is that hecklers can't really tell what you look like so you don't get called out as much.

As for safety, the most important thing above all-else is getting a properly-fitting bike. After that, get good tires and a good pump with a gauge (like a $50+ pump). The tires that come with bikes tend to give a less comfortable ride and are more prone to flats. Don't slack off and go on rides with improperly inflated tires...the handling is mushy and dangerous.
yeahbabyuhhuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #50
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 51218

In the Netherlands, a helmet is not required. I think with normal commuting speed (15-20km/hr), you dont need one.
We don't have large slopes which would make you go very fast either.
I would recommend helmets for all electrical bikes, which go (way) faster than 20 km/hr.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #51
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10488

I never use helmet. But I will be getting one.
Old January 18th, 2019, 04:57 PM   #52
ARailSystemsEngineer

Likes (Received): 5

I never go out on a long ride without a helmet, but I don't bother for a short ride, and I don't want to be criminalised for that - the point is that the effort of picking up the helmet, carrying it, putting it on, taking it off, hanging it on the bike, risking it being stolen, is the same whether for a long ride or a short ride, but the risk reduction is much less for a short ride.

Some people borrow a bike, but don't want to borrow a helmet for fear of nits, or other dread parasites and diseases.

Perhaps a better idea would be to restrict cyclists to say less than 50 kph when not wearing a helmet, and to make it illegal to ride on motorways (autobahns) without a helmet. We could probably all comply with that, without too much inconvenience.
ARailSystemsEngineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement