DISCUSS | Megatalls of the past, present and future - Page 13 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #241
PenangLion

Likes (Received): 18

There are so many megatalls that are proposed for construction, but it only seems that the Merdeka 118 is the real one still in actual construction (its already around 350m+ at least in height).

The Wuhan Greenland Centre permits to build over 600m+ are rejected, so they could only scale down the tower to around 450m+.

Meanwhile, the Jeddah Tower is still ongoing, as some unknown reports indicates that the current construction is only limited to interior construction, not on the exteriors (increasing the height). So yeah, its a shame when megatalls are constructed, only a couple of them are really truly finished. The others are either plagued by permits, or having insufficient funds to advance in the constructions.

To be honest, Jeddah Tower is kind of a "failed project" in my perspective, like really? Building a 1km high skyscraper in the middle of nowhere? Unless the Saudis really want to devote this project, and be determined to finish it, otherwise it would be another failed project like many others.

So in conclusion, the Malaysians know best in constructing megatall skyscrapers! (its gonna complete in 2021, so check it out)
PenangLion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2019, 10:42 AM   #242
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 6051

I made some minor updates to my list of (non-Vision) Megatalls quoted in the OP. Tower M KLCC has been stated to resume construction "after 2030", which I think is enough to label it as on hold for now. Tianfu Center in Chengdu also seems to have got a height cut to 488 meters, although we don't have official confirmation. To be fair, official confirmation is pretty sparse throughout the entire list, as developers tend not to speak loudly about projects when they aren't progressing. The list is made to be a little more dynamic and easier to update than the thread tags in this forum, where there are stricter requirements (and moderator approval is required) to change anything. Hence, the list also has disclaimers about potential subjectivity all over the place.

But anyway, it seems like the state of Megatall construction worldwide isn't that hot right now. From four ongoing projects, we're down to two, one of which might be subject to height cuts while the other only reaches Megatall height by means of a very tall spire. It's a shame, really. A few years ago, it seemed like a wave of Megatall skyscrapers was upon us, but for various reasons most of them seem to have been downscaled or canceled. Then again, we know the technology to build them is there (as demonstrated), so it's unlikely that we won't see any new ones be built in the next decade or so. But right now, Megatalls really seem to be out of fashion.

Hudson11 liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 08:26 AM   #243
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8958

my hope is still on ropeless elevator technology. There are tests and it is on the horizon. More capacity on elevator shafts, makes tall buildings much much more reasonable and cost effective. I hope the next 5 years will show this technology to be viable and projects might show up again. I am moderately optimistic that we might see another building similar to Nakheel Tower or Al Burj start construction before 2030. And very optimistic that we see something over 1000m start before 2035. And this is just talking about a new world's tallest. 600m buildings should pop up a lot more again as well, especially when countries like India catch up.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement