Why does Utah's population grow slowly? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2015, 11:50 AM   #1
jbeforeb

Likes (Received): 44

Why does Utah's population grow slowly?

It may be growing fast as a percentage of its overall population, yet with so many news reports touting it as one of the best states to live in for a family, for health, for wealth, why is it that it does not grow faster? I would infer the climate holds it back since it does get pretty cold. If anyone has another theory or anything to explain this, thanks.
"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected." -Steve Jobs
"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary." -Vince Lombardi
jbeforeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18459

Its Landlocked could be one of the reasons along with the having a semi-religious state of Govt...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:55 PM   #3
floor23

Likes (Received): 842

Just because a state ranks good in news reports for family, health, and wealth doesn't necessarily mean its a great place to move to. While I'm sure Utah has a healthy economy, the overall growth in the job market probably isn't strong enough to lead to an even bigger increase in overall population.

Utah being ground zero for the Mormon Church probably deters some individuals and businesses from moving there as well. Not that I have anything against Mormons. I live in Honolulu where there is large Mormon population and most I've met are family oriented people, that live healthy lifestyles, are very well educated, and generally are upper middle class. Those characteristics when applied to a state where more than half the people identify as Mormon are probably the reason why the state does well in many "Best states to live in" reports
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #4
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3891

I have nothing against mormons (some family members, some friends) but moving to an area dominated by someone else's religion would be a tall order. Actually moving anywhere dominated by religion in general would be a tall order for me personally, but the same would apply to 98% of the country in this case.

It seems like a prosperous city that works, in a suburbanish kind of way. And it's the closest larger city in the US to its mountains. That would ordinarily attract a lot of people.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #5
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 2118

Maybe SLC is just not really that big in the grand scheme of things?

I don't see why the mormon thing would have a huge effect, honestly.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #6
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5410

It's probably for the reasons listed: an economy that is doing well but not exploding; the stigma associated with Mormonism; a cold winter climate; and isolation from water. I would add isolation via air travel as well: Denver is an airline hub.

However, southwest Utah is growing very well. St. George is one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the nation. They have good warm weather most of the year, and are pretty close to several major national parks.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:52 AM   #7
s.p.hansen
(>O_o)> Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 45

Since the Recession in 2008 Utah and Colorado have grown at about the same rate of 8%. The difference between the two being that 3/4 of the new people added to Utah's population were by birth whereas the majority of Colorado's came by people moving into the state.
s.p.hansen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #8
vlafi01

Likes (Received): 7

perfect
vlafi01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #9
TonyAnderson

Likes (Received): 6

This thread makes no sense. Why does it grow slowly is the headline. First line of thread talks about how quickly its growing.

Anyway, to answer your question. It doesn't grow slowly.
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #10
Stenar

Likes (Received): 0

Utah grew at 7.4% from 2010-2015, while Colorado grew at 7.5%. Colorado was listed as the 2nd fastest growing state during this time period, while Utah was listed as the 7th fastest growing state, despite only .1% difference.

Last edited by Stenar; September 17th, 2016 at 08:54 AM.
Stenar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 12:21 PM   #11
MaroonKay

Likes (Received): 6

I heard that Utah is top state for population growth.

jonathaninATX liked this post
MaroonKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 05:44 AM   #12
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 3062

True, Utah is one of the top destinations that people are moving to. Roughly 60,000 new residents are added to Utah population each year.
jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement