Ugandan Football Thread - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Uganda

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 20652

Ugandan Football Thread

Hi there, I just deleted the old thread as that one was full of articles from ugandasports .org, which Google has labeled as a malware site, but also because copying whole articles into the forums is juyst not the way to go. Please stick to a title, abstract and a link, thanks. And please no more links to ugandasports .org, thanks

BUTEMBO21 liked this post
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
u.g boy

Likes (Received): 449

Leixões star dreams of promotion...and home
Teenage Ugandan midfielder targets Primeira Liga

Wednesday, 01 May 2013 20:59

Although Belenenses have already booked their place in Portugal's top flight next season, the battle for the Liga de Honra's second automatic promotion spot looks set to go to the wire. Matosinhos side Leixões are currently in the thick of it and PortuGOAL caught up with Os Bébés' attacking midfielder Luwagga Kizito last week to discuss their prospects - and what it's like to come to Europe in search of footballing glory.

On the back of an impressive winning streak, Leixões currently lie third in Portugal's second tier trailing the current incumbents of second spot, Arouca, by two points with four games to play.

Ugandan Kizito believes Pedro Correia's men are peaking at the right time, but that whoever gets promoted will need a dash of luck on their side given the tough nature of the league,

"We've got a good chance [of getting promoted]. We're in good shape and we're all used to playing with each other now. From now on, every game is a final," said Kizito.

"[However] the league is very competitive and every game is different, lining up against teams with different styles. It's hard to win games and you need luck on your side sometimes."

Porto interest

The 19-year-old started the season on the crest of a wave scoring five goals early on and reportedly attracting interest from neighbouring giants, Porto. The exciting young talent has since lost his starting berth and been limited to the role of an impact sub; however, he maintains that the early speculation didn't turn his head and that he is firmly focused on regaining his best form.

"I started on fire, but then there were some changes in the side and I was out of the team for a while. I'm trying to come back," he said.

"I was aware Porto were watching me, but then I didn't play and they can't come and watch a shadow, can they? Now I'm playing more again, we will see."

A whirlwind transfer to Portugal

The Ugandan youth international has high hopes of graduating to 'The Cranes' senior side, but amazingly hasn't returned to his homeland, even for footballing reasons, since packing his bags for a week's trial at Leixoes last summer.

As Kizito explains: "It was kind of a quick thing, I came over for a quick trial, impressed, and then they were processing my visa and documents. I haven't been back to Uganda since then, but am going back in June, which will be good, as I miss my people, my family, my Mum.

In fact, after a wet and windy winter in northern Portugal, the former Vipers player's family isn't all he's missing.

"It's always warm in Uganda and not cold like this. I have had to get used to the weather as it makes you feel weak when it's cold," he added.

'Belenenses aren't the best in the league'

Although Belenenses have already sewn up the Liga de Honra title and top the division by a massive 21 points, Kizito believes it was organisation rather than ability that underpinned the champion's runaway success.

"I don't actually think Belenenses were the best team. I saw a lot of teams who I thought outplayed them. Penafiel, for example, are a very good, hard team. But Belenenses worked hard for each other and had a very good coach [Mitchell van der Gaag] who got them to play very constructively."

Kizito did, however, pay tribute to Belenenses' Angolan striker Fredy - who he believes is one of the best three players in Portugal's second tier this season, along with João Cancelo from Benfica B and Porto's Brazilian winger Kelvin.

Premier League aspirations

Long-term, Kizito wants to emulate the likes of his African heroes Yaya Toure and Didier Drogba and ply his trade with one of Europe's premiere clubs.

"It would be a dream to play for a big team in one of the biggest leagues in England, Spain or Germany. I like Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Gareth Bale. England would be good, as I can speak the language."

With just four games remaining and promotion to the Primeira Liga beckoning, now would certainly be the perfect time for the young Ugandan to propel himself and his club back into the limelight.

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/m...al-says-kizito
u.g boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
u.g boy

Cranes' Wasswa set for European trials

By MTNFootball.com
Monday May 06, 15:15 +0200

Hassan Mawanda Wasswa Free State Stars target Hassan Mawanda Wasswa is preparing to travel for trials in Portugal or Poland later this month.

Wasswa ,who won the Uganda League title with Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) Football Club last week told MTNFootball.com on Monday morning that he is very happy that his agent has managed to secure trials at two European clubs for him.

“My agent will decide on which country I go to for trials because he is better placed on which deal could be better,” explained the former Turkey based player.

Asked further about his pending move to South African PSL club Free State States, Wassa said that although he had finalized talks with the side a month ago, options are still open to any good move abroad.

“I will go where there is a good deal and prospects of playing in big tournaments,” added Wasswa.

Wasswa skippered the Cranes to their 2012 Cecafa Tusker Senior Challenge Cup triumph late last year.

The Cranes midfield player is however preparing for KCCA’s remaining final league game of the season and the quarter final clash with arch-rivals Vipers FC in the knock out Uganda Cup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
u.g boy

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
u.g boy

FUFA set to unveil new Cranes coach
Publish Date: May 09, 2013

By Swalley Kenyi

DOMESTIC soccer body FUFA will unveil the new Uganda Cranes coach on Wednesday next week, an inside source revealed yesterday.

The source that spoke on grounds of anonymity, said that FUFA was finalising the process of vetting applicants before unveiling the foreign coach in time for national teams due for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers and the Africa Nations Championship (CHAN) engagements in June and July.

However, FUFA publicist Rogers Mulindwa was cagey on issue.

But the official said that they were planning what he called a big press conference next Wednesday.

The federation said that over 10 applicants, many of whom European nationals, applied for the Uganda Cranes job following the sacking of the Scot Bobby Williamson last month.

The candidates have either applied personally or through their agents.

Mulindwa said that targets for the new coach include taking Cranes to the Africa Nations Cup and World Cup finals, a feat that previous tacticians have not achieved since the 1970s.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
u.g boy

20 Year old Cranes Striker Emmanuel Okwi scores his first goal for Etoile Du Sahel

Cranes Winger Martin Mutumba scores and gets an assist

20 year old Cranes Winger Moses Oloya

Hassan Wasswa is set to have Trials in Portugal and Poland
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #7
u.g boy

Cranes book friendly with Ghana
Publish Date: May 15, 2013

By Swalley Kenyi and James Bakama

June 8

Uganda v Liberia

June 15

Uganda v Angola

September 7

Senegal v Uganda

2014 African Nations Championship fixtures

June 22

Tanzania v Uganda

July 6

Uganda v Tanzania

UGANDA will face four time Africa Cup of Nations champions Ghana in a build-up for next month’s World Cup qualifiers.

The Black Stars, semi-finalists at this year’s Nations Cup tournament in South Africa, have requested for the friendly in Kampala in preparation for their away World Cup encounter against Sudan.

Also interested in the Cranes is Libya. The north African side wants to host the Cranes in Tripoli in the same period Uganda will be playing Ghana.

FUFA vice president (technical) Livingstone Kyambadde explained that they are looking at May and the first week of June for the two friendlies.

Two Europeans and a Ugandan are reported to have topped the list of several local and foreign based tacticians who applied for the Cranes job. Former coach Bobby Williamson is according to sources reported to have been considered for another football job.

The friendlies will present Uganda’s new national coach with his first assignment. FUFA is expected to announce the new Cranes tactician any time.

Uganda resumes its World Cup qualification campaign on June 8 against Liberia. The Cranes will be back in action a week later against Angola. Both matches are at Namboole.

Uganda will thereafter be involved in African Nations Championship CHAN qualifiers.

A FUFA technical committee consisting of FUFA vice president (super league) Mujib Kasule, Cranes assistant coach Jackson Mayanja, goalkeeping coach Fred Kajoba, team psychologist Leo Adraa and ex-international Mathew Lucha and Kyambadde has drawn up a list of 78 players from whom the final CHAN team will be announced.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
u.g boy

Cranes line up Libya game before Liberia

Uganda Cranes players prepare to attack a set play in the World Cup qualifier against Senegal last year which ended in a 1-1 draw.photo by Eddie Chicco

By Andrew Mwanguhya

Posted Thursday, May 16 2013 at 01:00
IN SUMMARY

The Cranes technical committee were engaged in a meeting yesterday and this was one of the matters they were said to be deliberating on.

SHARE THIS STORY

inShare
The Uganda Cranes could face Libya in a friendly a week before the June 8 World Cup qualifier against Liberia here in Kampala, Daily Monitor understands.

A trusted source intimates to us that the Cranes, who face a busy schedule next month, could camp in the North African state before facing the hosts on June 1 or thereabouts.

“We are still sorting a few issues and once we are through, the Cranes and Libya, who are all preparing for their (respective) World Cup games (Libya host DRC), will face off,” said the source, adding, “All expenses are paid for by Libya.”

New coach
Fufa head of communications Rogers Mulindwa could neither deny nor confirm the upcoming friendly against Libya but did acknowledge they were working on “something.”

“For now,” he said, “All I can say is that we are working on getting some friendly matches for a new coach, with one to be played before Liberia. “And as I said, we shall have a new coach in place before the end of this month.” Serbian Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic, the former SC Villa and Rwanda coach, is widely expected to replace Bobby Williamson, sacked last month.

Cranes media officer Fred Katende did not rule out the friendly with a ‘North African country’.

“Yes,” he said, “We are working on it before the Liberia game but not confirmed (yet). The secretariat is still doing paper work.”
The Cranes technical committee were engaged in a meeting yesterday and this was one of the matters they were said to be deliberating on.

Meanwhile, Tanzania’s Taifa Stars, who are also preparing for their qualifier against Morocco, are scheduled to camp in Tripoli with a view of facing Libya en route.

The Cranes currently grace the bottom of Group J on two points. Senegal are top with five.

Uganda must win their remaining two home games against Liberia and Angola, plus an away tie against Senegal, to retain their slimmest of hopes in the race to Brazil 2014. The Cranes last outing was a 2-0 defeat to Liberia.

Uganda’s last five matches

Uganda 2 – 0 Ethiopia
Tanzania 0 – 3 Uganda
Uganda 2 – 1 Kenya
Rwanda 2 – 2 Uganda
Liberia 2 – 0 Uganda

Libya’s last five matches

Kenya 3 – 0 Libya
Senegal 0 – 4 Libya
Rwanda 0 – 1 Libya
Congo DR 0 – 0 Libya
Libya 2 – 0 Mauritania

Uganda Cranes plan Libya friendly

By MTNFootball.com
Thursday May 16, 16:06 +0200

Sacked Uganda Cranes Coach Williamson celebrates with Hassan Wasswa and Brian Umony after winning the 2012 Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup Uganda Cranes are courting Libya for an away international friendly before their next 2014 World Cup qualifier against Liberia on June 8 in Kampala.

FUFA vice president in-charge of the League Mujib Kasule, who also sits on the technical committee, confirmed to MTNFootball.com that they are looking at the possibility of facing both Ghana and Libya in build-up games ahead of the Liberia tie. “It will be good for the new coach to be appointed to test his players in a build-up game and also interact closely with the players,” said Kasule.

The Cranes are bottom of Group J on two points from three games, three points behind leaders Senegal.

Liberia, who beat Uganda 2-0 on March 24, are second on four points while Angola is third with three points.

The Cranes badly need to win the game against Liberia to revive their hopes of advancing to the final qualifying round.

“We are still trying to finalize on a number of things, but will let you know the final developments. For Libya even aspects of security in Tripoli is a concern,” explained Kasule, a former national player himself.

Last month, FUFA sacked Scotsman Robert ‘Bobby’ Williamson few days after Uganda had returned from Liberia. Although Williamson has remained silent in Kampala, a reliable source told MTNFootball.com that they must first clear his three months’ pay in lieu before a new coach is named.

The Scotsman led Uganda to four regional Cecafa Senior Cup trophies, qualification for the 2011 CHAN event in Sudan and also came close on two occasions to make it to the Africa Cup of Nations which have eluded them since their last appearance in 1978.

Ghana to play Uganda Cranes in international friendly

By Otieno Otieno
May 16, 2013 12:59:00 PM

After snubbing Kenya's Harambee Stars, Ghana's Black Stars have now requested for a friendly match against Uganda Cranes in preparations for World Cup qualifier

After snubbing Kenya's Harambee Stars, Ghana’s Black Stars have settled for a friendly match against neighbors Uganda Cranes on June 1.

According to Uganda’s New Vision, the Black Stars, semi-finalists at this year’s Nations Cup tournament in South Africa, have requested for the friendly in Kampala in preparation for their away World Cup encounter against Sudan.

Ghana were initially supposed to play Kenya on June 1 but the country’s Football Association said they could not raise up a strong team against Kenya.

The association said they were having problems to assemble their foreign players for the now called off match against Harambee Stars.

Apart from Ghana, the New Vision reported that also interested in playing Cranes is Libya. The North African side wants to host the Cranes in Tripoli in the same period Uganda will be playing Ghana.

FUFA vice president (technical) Livingstone Kyambadde explained that they are looking at May and the first week of June for the two friendlies.

The two build ups will present Uganda’s new national coach who is yet to be recruited after Bob Williamson was sacked with his first assignment. Fufa is expected to announce the new Cranes tactician any time.

Uganda resumes its World Cup qualification campaign on June 8 against Liberia. The Cranes will be back in action a week later against Angola. Both matches are at Nambole.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:55 PM   #9
u.g boy

Uganda appoint Milutin 'Micho' Sredojevic as new coach

By Andrew Jackson Oryada
BBC Sport, Kampala
Uganda have appointed Sredojevic 'Micho' Milutin as their new coach.
The 43-year-old fills the post that has been vacant since Bobby Williamson's contract was terminated in April and he has signed a two-year deal with the Cranes.

Micho, who was sacked by Rwanda last month, said he was happy to be back in the country where he had his first coaching job in Africa.
He told BBC Sport: "My African dream started in 2001 in Uganda with SC Villa and I spent three years there. In the last nine years I have coached in Ethiopia, Sudan, South Africa, Tanzania and Rwanda. Now I have come back to my football home.

"I am very motivated to deliver and I will do my best to improve the team.
Continue reading the main story

I want to continue improving the team and to make that step to qualify for the Nations Cup

Milutin 'Micho' Sredojevic
"I feel I am coming home to players who know me, and to a culture, structure and habits that are known to me. I don't think I will need to much time to acclimatise.

"Also, I know the players can play very good football, I only challenge them to improve their results. Uganda have not qualified for the Africa Cup of Nations since 1978 and I challenge them to end this jinx.

"I have not come here for a lucrative contract and big money, I have come here because I believe I bring many things to help the players and the team and I'm confident my contribution can help achieve success with the Cranes."
The president of the Ugandan FA, Lawrence Mulindwa, said 37 people had applied for the post and he gave assurances that Micho would be "given all the support that he needs".

Former Cranes assistants Sam Timbe and Kefa Kisala were also announced as Micho's assistant coaches, while Fred Kajoba retains his position as goalkeepers' coach.

"I fully appreciate all the good work that my predecessors have done. I believe that the support I will have will make us fly on," added Micho.
"One of my aims is to develop the youth systems and I want us to move from 97th in the rankings up to the top 70 and stay there to give our players a chance to play in top European leagues.

"When I came to Uganda, there was no youth structure in place. In my three-year spell with SC Villa we established a youth programme which helped us to nurture so many young players, who have since matured and now form the backbone of the national team.

"I have come here to utilise the talent and, with the support of Ugandan football, I want to continue improving the team and to make that step to qualify for the Nations Cup.

"I have a lot of motivation to prove that I am the right man for the job."
As well as three league titles with SC Villa, Sredojevic won a league title with Ethiopia's St George and guided South African giants Orlando Pirates to the semi finals of the African Champions League in 2006.

He also lead Sudan's Al Hilal to the last four of both the Confederation Cup and the African Champions League.
Sredojevic took over Rwanda in November 2011, replacing Ghanaian Sellas Tetteh.

His biggest achievement with Amavubi was a runners-up spot at the 2011 Cecafa Senior Challenge, the East and Central African regional championship.

FUFA Confirms Libya friendly
21 May 2013 Written by Ismael Kiyonga Published in Football font size decrease font size increase font size Print Email

FUFA CEO Edgar Watson confirmed the development

June 1, 2013
Libya Vs Uganda – Tripoli

The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) has confirmed Uganda Cranes will play friendly game with Libya on June 1 in Tripoli before embarking on the 2014 World Cup qualifiers against Liberia and Angola later in the month.

This was revealed by the FUFA Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Edgar Watson at a press briefing held on Tuesday afternoon at the federation head quarters in Mengo.

“I can reliably inform you that we have a secured an international friendly game with Libya”, said Watson.

“The game is slated for June 1st in Tripoli, Libya and will be the new coach’s (Micho) first game in charge”, he added.

Watson also announced a 37 man squad that will start training this Friday under the guidance on the new cranes technical bench.

Robert Odongkara, Martin Mutumba Kayongo and Henry Kisekka return to the team after long term absences while Fufa Super League top scorer Herman Wasswa and US based Mike Azira earned maiden call ups.

FULL SQUAD:

GOAL KEEPERS: Robert Odongkara (St. George, Ethiopia), Hamza Muwonge (Vipers), Denis Onyango (Sundowns, S.A) and Ali Kimera (SCVU).

DEFENDERS: Nicholas Wadada (Vipers), Denis Guma (SCVU), Joseph Ochaya (Asante Kotoko, Ghana), Andrew Mwesigwa (Ordabasy, Kazakhstan), Henry Kalungi (Richmond, US), Ivan Bukenya (Erbil, Iraq), Savio Kabugo (SCVU), Godfrey Walusimbi (CS Don Bosco, DRC), Habib Kavuma (KCC FC),Israel Emuge(Gor Mahia, Kenya) .

MIDFIELDERS: Said Kyeyune (URA FC), Geoffrey Kizito Baba (Sai Gon, Vietnam), Tonny Mawejje (IBV, Iceland), Musa Mudde (Simba, TZ), Hassan Wasswa (KCC FC), Moses Oloya (Sai Gon), Mike Sserumaga (Proline), Martin Mutumba (AIK, Sweden), Alex Kakuba (Sporting CP, Portugal), William Luwagga Kizito (Leixoes, Portugal), Boban Zirintusa (Dynamos, Zimbabwe), Mike Azira (Charleston Battery, US) and Joseph Mpande (Vipers).

STRIKERS: Geoffrey Massa (Nicosia Kapia, Cyprus), Robert Ssentongo (St. George), Hamis Kiiza (Yanga, TZ), Herman Wasswa (KCC FC), Brian Umony (Azam, TZ), Henry Kisekka (Dong Nai, Vietnam), Emmanuel Okwi (Etoile Du Sahel) and Dan Sserunkuma (Gor Mahia, Kenya)

Last edited by u.g boy; May 21st, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:59 AM   #10
SUNS 25
P.E. Aubameyang

Likes (Received): 875

Pff, still a western coach..

Egypt: 3X (2006, 2008 and 2010) winner of Afcon with a local coach.
Nigeria: Winner of Afcon 2013 with a local coach.
South Africa: winner of Afcon in 1996 with a local coach.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:19 AM   #11
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 5960

All Africa needs local coaches.
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:05 PM   #12
u.g boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
the reason given for non use of local coaches was senior players know their flaws and therefore would rather not work with them but i agree a local should be hired .
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM   #13
u.g boy

Swedish-based Mutumba invited for Cranes World Cup qualifier

By MTNFootball.com
Wednesday May 22, 12:53 +0200

Martin Mutumba: Has been called up for Uganda AIK FC’s attacking midfielder

Martin Mutumba has been invited for the Uganda Cranes 2014 World Cup qualifier against Liberia on June 7.

Mutumba, who has plied his trade in Swedish football for most of his career, was called over a year ago and dropped by ex-Cranes coach Robert ‘Bobby’ Williamson.

The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) said on Tuesday evening that the local based players will start training on Friday under new coach Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic.

FUFA chief executive officer, Edgar Watson told MTNFootball.com that the 37-man team invited will play an international friendly away to Libya on June 1.

Among the other players making a return to the team include; Ivan Bukenya who plies his trade in Iraq, defender Israel Emuge of Gor Mahia in Kenya and St. George first choice goalkeeper Robert Odongkara who has been in tremendous form in the CAF Champions League and now Confederation Cup.

And although Mamelodi Sundown’s goalkeeper Dennis Onyango is suspended for the game against Liberia after accumulating two yellow cards, he has been called to boost the team.

The Cranes, who lost their last group game 2-0 to Liberia, need to revive their hopes with two home wins against Liberia and Angola in June to stand a chance of advancing to the final qualifying round. Senegal tops the group, while lowly ranked Liberia is second.

Squad
Goalkeeper: Robert Odongkara (St. George, Ethiopia), Hamza Muwonge (Vipers FC), Denis Onyango (Sundowns, South Africa), Ali Kimera (SC Victoria)

Defenders: Nicholas Wadada (Vipers FC), Denis Guma (SC Victoria), Joseph Ochaya (Asante Kotoko, Ghana), Andrew Mwesigwa (Ordabasy, Kazakhstan), Henry Kalungi (Richmond, US), Ivan Bukenya (Erbil, Iraq), Savio Kabugo (SC Victoria), Godfrey Walusimbi (CS Don Bosco, DR Congo), Habib Kavuma (KCCA FC).

Midfielders: Said Kyeyune (URA FC), Geoffrey Kizito Baba (Sai Gon, Vietnam), Tonny Mawejje (IBV, Iceland), Musa Mudde (Simba, TZ), Hassan Wasswa (KCCA FC), Moses Oloya (Sai Gon, Vietnam), Mike Sserumaga (Proline),Martin Mutumba (AIK, Sweden), Alex Kakuba (Sporting CP, Portugal), William Luwagga Kizito (Leixoes, Portugal), Boban Zirintusa (Dynamos, Zimbabwe), Mike Azira (Charleston Battery, US) and Joseph Mpande (Vipers).

Strikers: Geoffrey Massa (Nicosia Kapia, Cyprus), Robert Ssentongo (St. George), Hamis Kiiza (Yanga, TZ), Herman Wasswa (KCC FC), Brian Umony (Azam, TZ), Henry Kisekka (Dong Nai, Vietnam), Emmanuel Okwi (Etoile Du Sahel) and Dan Sserunkuma (Gor Mahia, Kenya)

Gor Mahia defender Israel Emuge handed Uganda Cranes call-up
NextTusker coach Matano: We are determined to lift Kagame Cup

Goal.com have exclusively obtained a letter dated May 19, 2013, copied to Kenya FA CEO requesting him to facilitate the release of Israel Emuge and Dan Sserunkuma

EXCLUSIVE
By Dennis Mabuka

Uganda Cranes tactician tactician Milutin “Micho” Sredojević has handed Gor Mahia defender Israel Emuge a call-up to the national team in readiness for the World Cup qualifiers against Liberia and Angola.
Goal.com have exclusively obtained a letter dated May 19, 2013, copied to Kenya FA secretary general Michael Esakwa requesting him to facilitate the release of Emuge and striker Dan Sserunkuma for the two assignments.

“Our federation wishes to inform you that Uganda will play Liberia and Angola in the second leg of the Fifa 2014 World Cup qualifier on Saturday 8 and June 15 respectively at Mandela Stadium in Kampala.”

The letter signed by Fufa Chief Executive Officer Edgar Watson Suubi continues, “The purpose of this letter is to request you to release Israel Emuge and Dan Sserunkuma, who play for Gor Mahia. Details of travel itinerary will be communicated in due course; however training starts on May 24.”

Emuge has been a solid pillar in Gor Mahia’s defence since joining the club this season. With eleven games played so far, Gor Mahia have the best defensive record of four goals conceded in the 16-team league and this has had a lot to do with Emuge’s resolute performances at the club.

MAKING THE TEAM| Striker Dan Sserunkuma has also been recalled by new coach 'Micho'.

His performance also saw him scoop Dstv man of the match award after his match-winning debut show against Mathare United early in February. Emuge’s presence has helped Gor Mahia build play from the back, more so with some level of consistency.

Cranes will play the two matches under the Serbian coach, who was named on Tuesday as replacement for sacked Bobby Williamson.

Micho, 43, comes to Uganda after being relieved of his duties in neighboring Rwanda, for also failing to steer the Amavubi to the Africa showpiece.

Police FC coach Sam Timbe, Bul Bidco coach Kefa Kisala and goalkeeping coach Fred Kajoba will be Micho's assistants.

Micho brings immense experience from the African scene in a career that started off in 2001 in Villa. He won one Cecafa titles with the Jogoos on top of four local league trophies.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:09 PM   #14
u.g boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
to be fair the man managed a Ugandan club for about 3 years , hes also speaks luganda ,many Ugandans respect him and for this reason im not surprised that he was appointed.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:20 PM   #15
u.g boy

Magumba gets shock Cranes call up
Publish Date: May 23, 2013

Former Cranes coach Laszlo Csaba chats with Hakim Magumba during a training session ahead of a game against Rwanda in Kigali in July 2006. Magumba retired shortly after.
newvision
By Swalley Kenyi

Africa Nations Championship qualifier

June 22: Uganda v Tanzania

FUFA cannot help but recall former professional players to the squad to face Tanzania in the Africa Nations Championship qualifier next month.

Owen Kasule, Hassan Wasswa, Anthony Bongole, Joseph Owino and Tonny Odur have all been recalled to spearhead Uganda’s first ever qualification for the CHAN tournament.

The players hadn’t featured in the competition meant for home based players after turning professional few years ago but were today named alongside 29 others due to start preparation for the first qualifying match.

“We needed experience in the squad and these players will provide it. The players are all eligible to play in CHAN because all of them are playing in the domestic league at the moment,” FUFA publicist Rogers Mulindwa said.

The biggest surprise though is the inclusion of veteran midfielder Hakim Magumba, who is expected to return to the national side for the first time since 2005 to link with new Cranes coach Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic who was also his boss at Villa Park.

Uganda is due to host Tanzania in the 1st leg encounter on June 22 before the return leg early in July to determine who advances to the second qualifying round. South Africa will host the tournament.

Meanwhile FUFA has dropped U 17 national team assistant coach Asaph Mwebaze and replaced him with Peter Onen in a mini reshuffle announced today. Richard Wasswa will remain the head coach.

FUFA publicist Rogers Mulindwa also announced Hamuza Kalanzi as the U-20 goalkeeper trainer replacing Stephen Kigundu, who is out of the country. Paul Nkata will keep his position as the head coach.

Squad

Goalkeepers: H.Muwonge, A.Kimera, M.Olungat, C.Lukwago, M.Kigonya

Defenders: N.Wadada,D.Guma, H.Kavuma,S.Mukiibi, H.Magomu,I.Kazibwe, R.Kasaaga, Y.Mukisa, J.Owino, R.Malinga, Muwanga, F.Kawooya, A.Kisalita

Midfielders: S.Kyeyune, I.Ntege,O.Kasule, S.Sentamu, H.Sempala, M.Birungi, A.Feni, B.Nkumbi, B.Majwega,R.Kimuli, H.Wasswa, J.Mpande,H.Magumba,R.Muganga

Strikers: H.Wasswa, T.Odur, F.Kalanda,C.Okhuthi, A.Bongole, P.Edema,E.Sekisambu, W.Wadri

MTN Uganda unveils third Uganda Cranes campaign
23 May 2013 Written by Phillip Corry Published

MTN Uganda, the number one sponsor of the Uganda's National team, the Uganda Cranes, has launched a new campaign to drive love, affection and passion for the Uganda Cranes.

It's the third campaign that MTN Uganda is launching a campaign like this they previously had "Uganda Cranes Oyee" and "We Go, We Go"

The new campaign inflames passion and with the focus aimed at "We believe in our Team and our Nation" it creates a link between this passion and the MTN brand.

"We strive to live our customers' passions and champion their aspirations by getting involved with the things that they care deeply about. In Uganda, this definitely includes the Uganda Cranes and that's why we are proudly the number one team sponsor." Ernst Fonternel, MTN Uganda Chief Marketing Officer.

"Our hope is that our Nation embraces this "We believe" spirit and we will be there in full support for the team on their next two qualification games scheduled for June 8-15 at Mandela Stadium, Namboole." Fonternel explained.

The launch was witness by MTN staff at MTN Arena including FUFA's vice president in charge of administration Eng. Moses Magogo, Cranes newly appointed coach Milutin Sredojevic and part of his technical staff plus a few Cranes players.
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #16
u.g boy

Godfrey Walusimbi in Micho’s scheme
Publish Date: May 27, 2013

Multin ‘Micho’ Sredejovic
newvision
By Fred Kaweesi

When the stakes are high and challenges ahead formidable, you need to rely on what you trust most.

This is exactly why new Cranes head coach Multin ‘Micho’ Sredejovic will do just about everything to ensure one of his treasured youngsters in Godfrey Walusimbi regains fitness ahead of the 2014 World Cup qualifiers against Liberia and Angola next month.

Were he any other player, Walusimbi’s extended spell without competitive football would have ruled him out for the upcoming games.

The tiny left-back absconded from club duty at DR Congo side Don Bosco two months ago due to misunderstandings and this has raised doubts over his fitness.

But Micho has closely followed the player over the years to not only appreciate his qualities but understand why the he needs support to avoid going down the drain.

“There is no doubt Walusimbi is a talented player. He had been originally ignored because he has not played football since his problems with his club.

“But it’s at times like these that you need to stand by your player and that is what we are trying to do.

“He has been given a chance to prove his fitness with the team and we will assess him,” Micho pointed after meeting the defender at Namboole yesterday.

The Serbian will hold two other sessions before announcing an 18-man team that travels for a friendly to Libya on Wednesday morning.

Kizito at Benfica

Meanwhile, Luwagga Kizito has been undergoing trials with Portuguese and Europa Cup finalists Benfica for the last seven days.

Acccording to Cranes media officer Katende Malibu, the youthful midfielder, who turns out for Portuguese second division side Leixoes, has impressed his pursuers.

Geoffrey Kizito on form

While Luwagga Kizito another young midfielder Geoffrey "Baba" Kizito has been in brilliant form scoring 3 goals in 4 games from midfield for his team Saigon Xuan Thanh in Vietnam . Geoffrey Kizito and Moses Oloya will meet the squad in Tripoli.

Uganda vs Liberia: High spirits
SUNDAY, 26 MAY 2013 17:49 WRITTEN BY JOHN VIANNEY NSIMBE 0 COMMENTS

Smooth start: Micho (L) takes players through the paces

Like anything new, there was a sense of excitement in The Cranes’ training sessions over the weekend when coach Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevich started coaching at Namboole stadium.

With his fired-up approach, there is a newfound feeling of belief that maybe, all isn’t lost in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers, writes John Vianney Nsimbe.

“I understand the general public feeling around; that we can’t qualify for the next stage of the 2014 World Cup qualifiers. But together with the players, we are going to give everything in us to win the remaining three games. We won’t go out without a fight,” Micho said.

In saying this, one could clearly see that undying conviction and determination that Micho has regarding the mission ahead. It is what has made him successful over the years. Essentially, this can only have one effect on the team in the weeks to come a never-say-die attitude. While much of that will be seen in the matches proper, the players looked stimulated and reacted so well to his instructions, many of which were supplemented by Micho’s illustrations.

There was a stark contrast between the kind of sessions that many of the players had been experiencing for the last four and a half years under Scottish coach Bobby Williamson, who was sacked on April 8. Williamson always used to confess that his training sessions were usually the same because he wanted to keep it simple for the players. And besides, as Williamson used to say, the end was justified.

He was probably right. But how about the after-thought that without giving the players something different every other time, they got bored and didn’t learn many new tricks to outwit the opponent? This time, however, the beginning appears to have brought a freshness to everything. He emphasised the need for the players to reduce on square play. The lack of confidence amongst Ugandan players to play the ball forward at each time of asking is the reason why The Cranes’ goal return has been low.

Micho thus pushed the players to always attempt to play penetrative passes. That said, this deficiency isn’t something that Micho will solve in a couple of weeks. But the fact that he realised it fast highlights his awareness for what the problem in The Cranes has been all along. As a result of that, he pointed out the need for the central midfielders to be smart and creative because that is the only way the forwards can thrive according to Herman Wasswa, KCC FC’s forward.

“From what I have seen, he is a good coach. He teaches football really well,” Wasswa added.

In addition to that, Micho’s sessions, as he prepares for the friendly match against Libya this week, were of a high tempo. Speed is a key ingredient in attack if the team is to punish the opponent and he hasn’t been afraid to put the players under some strenuous drills.

“I realise that most of the players are just coming off long seasons; so, their fitness levels aren’t bad.

But we must be in top physical condition to win all the games left,” Micho said. For what it is worth, if the spirit of Micho spell-binds his players, then it is game on for Uganda.

Last edited by u.g boy; May 27th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #17
u.g boy

Dhaira out to impress Micho
Publish Date: May 28, 2013
newvision

By Fred Kaweesi

International friendly

June 1

Libya v Uganda

June 8

Uganda v Liberia

June 15

Uganda v Angola

GEOFFREY Massa has been rested for Cranes’ high-profile friendly against Libya. So is Brian Umony due to injury.

First choice goalkeeper Dennis Onyango might also be ignored for the weekend fixture considering that he is suspended for the World Cup qualifier against Liberia.

On any day, the three omissions would spell some sort of mini-crisis for any manager, but certainly not for Multin Micho Sredojevic, who has decided to look at it as a grand opportunity of preparing decent replacements ahead of future World and Nations Cup assignments.

Abbey Dhaira and Robert Odongkara have both been challenged to prove who deserves to be considered as Onyango’s replacement in goal for the fixture on June 8.

Herman Wasswa and Henry Kisekka will likewise battle for the available attacking slots upfront where Emmanuel Okwi and Hamis Kiiza are the only recognisable strikers.

On the evidence of his previous sessions with the side at Namboole, Micho has stressed the need to maintain possession, impose a pressing game and play the ball early into the box to allow strikers space to harm the opposition.

It’s the sort of strategy that helped Kisekka blossom during his stint at URA FC and at Vietnam side Dong Nai, where he has scored 6 goals in 9 appearances.

On his day, Kisekka is irresistible and unplayable. The secret is how often any given coach can bring that day from the 6ft-plus forward whose physical frame also troubles the opposition.

Sometimes he is the one targeted by the opposition which gives his team-mates opportunities to score but he has often created chances all by himself.

The key is to get the ball to Kisekka as early as possible. He also has that anticipation of being in the right place at the right time.
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #18
u.g boy

Cranes' flight to Tripoli delayed
Publish Date: May 28, 2013

newvision
By Swalley Kenyi

International Friendly

June 1

Libya v Uganda

FUFA has adjusted the Uganda Cranes travel arrangements to Libya to allow their six foreign based players link up with the rest while on transit in Dubai, United Arab Emirates Tuesday.

Uganda play Libya in an international build up match on Saturday and the team was due to fly out to Tripoli on Tuesday evening courtesy of the host football federation.

Cranes media manager Fred Malibu said on Monday that their departure had been delayed by at least 12 hours to suit the arrival of foreign based players at Dubai International Airport on Tuesday night.

FUFA could not leave out the players because one of the conditions for them to honour the friendly match it is to field a full strength side including foreign based charges to give Libya a run for their money.

“As it was, we would travel in bits. The change of schedule will allow all the players meet in Dubai and arrive in Libya together,” Malibu explained.

South Africa based goalkeeper Dennis Onyango, the trio of Henry Kisekka, Moses Oloya and Geoffrey Kizito (Vietnam), Luwagga Kizito (Portugal) and Joseph Ochaya (Ghana) are expected to link up with 16 others from Kampala before heading to Tripoli.

Libya expects a formidable challenge from Uganda Cranes given their head-to-head record of three wins, a draw and only loss since 1972.
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #19
u.g boy

Dhaira named captain for Libya game
30 May 2013, 10:05

Abel Dhaira @ SS com

Simba goalkeeper Abel Dhaira will captain the Uganda Cranes in a friendly international against Libya this Saturday.

Milutin 'Micho' Sredojevic, the Cranes coach, named the 25-year-old as stand-in skipper at the expense of Hassan Wasswa.

Wasswa captained the team during the Cecafa and was the expected skipper every time Andy Mwesigwa, Denis Onyango and Simeone Masaba are not in action.

Dhaira being named stand-in captain means Micho will hand the towering goalkeeper a starting role, with the armband crossing to Onyango, when the Mamelodi Sundowns shot-stopper eventually comes on.

Both Uganda and Libya are using the Saturday friendly as preps for their respective 2014 World Cup qualifying games against Liberia and DRC.

The team left Kampala in the wee morning hours of Thursday aboard Turkish Air.

Micho names final Cranes squad
29 May 2013, 23:14

Milutin 'Micho' Sredojevic, the Uganda Cranes coach, has named his final 22-man contingent to travel to Libya on Thursday morning ahead of Saturday’s friendly match with the hosts.

The squad consists of three goalkeepers, eight defenders, seven midfielders and four strikers.

Goalkeeper Denis Onyango (South Africa), defender Joseph Ochaya (Ghana), midfielders Luwaga Kizito (Portugal) ,Geoffrey Kizito, Oloya Moses and striker Henry Kisekka (all Vietnam) will link up with the rest of the team in Tripoli.

The team leaves Entebbe International Airport aboard Turkish Air at 3:45 am on Thursday via Istanbul.

The only surprise inclusions on the travelling list include Kira Young’s Kasagga Jjuuko and SC Victoria’s Ali Kimera.

Micho, who signed a two-year-contract last week, will be looking to open his Cranes account on a winning note but his first competitive test comes on June 8 when Uganda play Liberia in the 2014 World Cup qualifier, the team they lost to 2-0 in the previous outing, at Namboole.

Uganda, currently bottom on two points, trail their World Cup qualifying group leaders, Senegal, by three with as many games played.

The squad:

Goalkeepers: Denis Onyango, Abel Dhaira, Ali Kimera

Defenders: Denis Guma, Israel Emuge, Sam Kabugo, Ivan Bukenya, Alex Kakuba, Joseph Ochaya, Nicholas Wadada, Kasagga Jjuuko Richard

Midfielders: Hassan Wasswa, Musa Mudde, Geoffrey Kizito, Joseph Mpande, Saidi Kyeyune, Moses Oloya, Kizito Luwagga

Strikers: Henry Kisekka, Hamis Kiiza, Dan Serunkuma, Herman Wasswa

Sserunkuma glad to make Tripoli trip
By MTNFootball.com
Thursday May 30, 11:25 +0200

Striker Daniel Sserunkuma will have to work hard to impress the new coach

Gor Mahia striker Daniel Sserunkuma says he will not disappoint Uganda after his call-up for Saturday’s away friendly against Libya.

Last year, Sserunkuma considered changing nationality to feature for Kenya after he was repeatedly overlooked by Uganda. He later made an impressive Cranes debut three months ago by scoring one goal in a 2-all draw against Rwanda.

Sserunkuma, voted Best player in the Kenya Premier League last season, is part of the Uganda Cranes team that traveled on Thursday morning to Tripoli.

“I will make sure I use this chance to impress the new Coach so that I can play more games for the Cranes and also help my country win matches,” Sserunkuma told MTNFootball.com.

And Sserunkuma’s clubmate at Gor Mahia Israel Emuge is also in the team that travelled to Libya.

Meanwhile, new Cranes coach Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic said he will use the match to assess several players not only for the World Cup qualifiers but for the CHAN qualifier against Tanzania in July.

Meanwhile the game will mark the Serbian-born coach’s first game in-charge ahead of the teams’ 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Liberia on June 8 and against Angola on June 15.

Team:
Denis Onyango, Abby Dhaira, Denis Iguma, Israel Emuge, Sam Kabugo Sam, Ivan Bukenya, Alex Kakuba, Joseph Ochaya, Hassan Wasswa, Musa Mudde, Geoffrey Kizito, Joseph Mpande, Said Kyeyune, Moses Oloya, Henry Kisekka, Hamis Kiiza, Kizito Luwagga, Daniel Sserunkuma, Nicholas Wadada, Herman Wasswa and Richard Kasagga Juuko.
Old June 1st, 2013, 04:37 PM   #20
u.g boy

Micho looking for a winning start
Publish Date: Jun 01, 2013

By Swalley Kenyi in Tripoli

Today, 7.30pm

Libya v Uganda

HENRY Kisekka and Dan Sserunkuuma are expected to lead the Uganda Cranes attack against Libya today as coach Micho Sredejovic tries to mastermind the best possible strategy that will steer the Cranes to victory against Liberia next week.

The team has had just one work out session since arriving in Tripoli on Thursday.

Sredejovic is optimistic his charges will benefit from the encounter with Libya. His only concern is whether Luwagga Kizito will arrive in Tripoli in time for the game. Kizito has found problems on his way from Vietnam. By press time, the player was still stranded in Rome, Italy.

“I am trying to get in touch with my friends in Tunis to get Luwagga in to the plan and have him on my line up. I’m tired of relying on people from here,” Sredejovic at the Bab Al Bahar (Sea Port) Hotel.

But overall Sredejovic is looking at this particular match as an opportunity to market some of the Cranes players to Europe via the North African country.

“Libya provides an opportunity to prepare us for Liberia (World Cup qualifier) as well as link us to clubs in Europe. We are the biggest in Eastern Africa and we would give them what they miss from Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya and the rest,” Sredejovic said.

But he quickly added that: “We are not here to tour Libya. We need to win for our fans.”

Probable line up:

Abbey Dhaira, Dennis Iguma,Joseph Ochaya, Israel Emuge, Ivan Bukenya, Kizito Luwagga (Joseph Mpande), Said Kyeyune, Godfrey Kizitto, Moses Oloya, Henry Kisekka, Dan Sserunkuuma

Micho names starting XI against Libya
01 Jun 2013 Written by Ismael Kiyonga

With just four hours to the game, new Cranes Coach Mulitin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic has named his team to start against Libya.

The team is no different from the probable line up that Kawowo Sports had earlier predicted as stand in skipper Abel Dhaira starts between the posts with Denis Guma and Ghana based Joseph Ochaya manning the right and left fullbacks respectively.

Returnees Ivan Bukenya and Israel Emuge start ahead of Savio Kabugo and new boy Richard Kasagga at the heart of defence.

In central midfield, Simba SC midfielder Musa Mudde returns to the starting team ahead of Cecafa captain Hassan Wasswa and will partner Vietnam based Geoffrey ‘Baba’ Kizito while Moses Oloya and debutant William Luwagga Kizito also join in on the right and left flanks respectively.

Upfront, Henry Kisekka and Hamis Kiiza start ahead of Gor Mahia’s Daniel Sserunkuma and Fufa Super League top scorer Herman Wasswa.

Meanwhile, both camps have agreed on nine as the maximum number of substitutes to use for this game.

The game kicks off at 6.30 East African Standard time.

Uganda X1 (4 4 2):

Abel Dhaira (gk, cpt),

Denis Guma, Ivan Bukenya Israel Emuge Joseph Ochaya

Moses Oloya Musa Mudde Geoffrey ‘Baba’ Kizito Luwagga Kizito

Hamis Kiiza Henry Kisekka

SUBSTITUTES:

Ali Kimera (GK), Nicholas Wadada, Richard Kasagga, Savio Kabugo, Alex Kakuba, Hassan Wasswa, Joseph Mpande, Said Kyeyune, Dan Sserunkuma and Herman Wasswa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement