Copenhagenize - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Cycling

Cycling All about fastest, healthiest and cheapest way to go around town

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 03:45 PM   #21
Magnum Opus

Likes (Received): 105

Next week, the copenhagenize index 2017 should be published (I guess). My prediction is that Portland will be in it https://www.citylab.com/transportati...muters/526923/

Thanks to Ofo and Mobike, I guess a Chinese city may make it https://cyclingindustry.news/mobike-...phic-in-china/

Oslo may be rewarded for it's car free plans.

Any other predictions?
Magnum Opus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #22
Magnum Opus

This year, I believe there will be no dark horse in the race, no unexpected winner.

In 2013, the new poster child for bicycle urbanism was Seville, in 2015, it was Buenos Aires. I do not think there is something like that for 2017. The only thing that I can see is the Russian city of Almetyevsk where Copenhagenize Design Co. introduced “a complete transformation into the best bicycle-friendly city in Russia” (their own words). The problem is that it has only 150.000 inhabitants, which makes it too small according to the copenhagenize criteria of 600.000 inhabitants.
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #23
Magnum Opus

The Copenhagenize Bicycle Friendly Cities Index 2017 will be launched on Wed. 14 June w @Wired at 15:00 CET. Twitter countdown from 14:00

https://twitter.com/copenhagenize/st...80948476596224

If the team at Copenhagenize think strategically, they would add New York, the Russian city of Almetyevsk and a Chinese city, maybe Guangzhou (because of it's bike advocacy, a rarity in China). They should also wait till 2019 to include Oslo (because ambitious plans may not be implemented https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...cklash-parking ) and take Eindhoven off the list, since it is too small. Hamburg should also go. This would make the list more international, while still be based on facts.

Last edited by Magnum Opus; June 13th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #24
Magnum Opus

The new index is out. http://copenhagenize.eu/index/

I was right on Eindhoven and on Oslo. It is now an even more European index.
Old June 15th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #25
The Polman

Likes (Received): 1531

it is definitely more European, showing that other continents still lag on cycling. China, as you mentioned, is just about to take off once again and sees high ridership but it takes a lot of effort to be actually stimulative and have good infrastructure. Just to compare apples with pears: When a city the size of Shanghai has one metro line does not make it the best system in the world, neither does the biggest system. It is about humans, about investing on the right spots and the opinion of the public.

I'm always curious about the cities that they look after but were not included in the shortlist. I know they have a longlist of unranked cities as well but they do not want to show it: the Danish are either too lazy or too arrogant. Just show these cities: then these cities can anticipate!

Alle nieuwbouw onder vier hoog: meteen afbreken en de volgende keer uw hersenen gebruiken!
Everything new below four storeys: bulldoze it immediately and use your brains next time!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #26
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 72884

China used to be cycling nation #1. After all, it went from a very poor to a rather wealthy, almost developed country. It will take another decade or two before it'll turn more cycle oriented I guess.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #27
kongogumi

Likes (Received): 0

Have cycled extensively in both Copenhagen and Melbourne the past fortnight(still some lingering jet lag). It is just a completely different mindset between the city ranked #1 in Copenhagenize index and ranked 71st. http://www.bikingexpert.com/75-most-...-in-the-world/

For Melbourne there is hope to improve the situation. The city already has all the north/south/east/west running roads, some hardly being used most days. So you can use lesser used parallel roads to busier routes to make your journey safer. The attitude of both riders and politicians needs realignment also. The politicians need to better utilize, to make safer streets for riding on by separating car and cyclist. Riders need to lose the lycra, helmets and battleweary attitude and obey road laws and respect other users.

There is hope, but in the meantime, the shortest path to your destination in the city is not necessarily the safest. Best to take the longer route to avoid permanent cycling retirement.
kongogumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:55 AM   #28
Magnum Opus

The new Copenhagenize Index is coming out on June 27 during this year’s Velo-city conference. It is announced that 4 newcomer cities have made it to the list for the first time ever. https://copenhagenize.eu/news-archiv...hagenize-index

My guess is that it will be:
Bogota, Tel Aviv, Hangzhou and Vancouver. Although Santiago (Chile), Auckland or Cologne could be on that list as well. I would think that Nantes, Hamburg and Helsinki would be out. Not sure on the fourth.

Maybe Copenhagenize should stop limiting the list to 20. I understand that they want to limit is, but they should limit it to cities that got a score over 50%. That way, you can see how much progress is being made world-wide.

TopWatch liked this post
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:03 PM   #29
TopWatch
Roloncho!

Likes (Received): 4751

Hi Everyone

Here in Bogotá, our mayor says that is the "Capital of the Bici", because we have already more than 540 kilometers of bike paths and exclusive lines. Also, that like over 1 million of travels are made only by bikes.

http://ambientebogota.gov.co/image/i...=1558029706120

Sadly, this is the only the good things in the city, because also daily, more than 10 bikes are stolen everyday and also there's not a public service for bike sharing or something related.

So, I think that is hard that my city enter to this rank, because, even we like the bicycle in my city and throughout, in all the country, public policies and infrastructure still need to improve by a large percentage.

Saludos!!
TopWatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #30
Magnum Opus

I was right for 50%: Bogota and Vancouver are in. https://copenhagenizeindex.eu/ Congrats to both.

I find it too bad that they only publish the 20 first. It would be nice if they publish the whole list, or at least those who have more than 50%.

TopWatch liked this post
Old June 28th, 2019, 07:58 PM   #31
TopWatch
Roloncho!

Likes (Received): 4751

2019 Ranking
(01)
COPENHAGEN
90.2%

(03)
AMSTERDAM
89.3%

(02)
UTRECHT
88.4%

(07)
ANTWERP
73.2%

(04)
STRASBOURG
70.5%

(06)
BORDEAUX
68.8%

(19)
RISING STAR
OSLO
62.5%

(13)
PARIS
61.6%

(12)
VIENNA
60.7%

(18)
HELSINKI
59.8%

NEWCOMER
BREMEN
58.9%

NEWCOMER
BOGOTÁ
58.1%

(11)
BARCELONA
57.4%

(08)
LJUBLJANA
57.1%

(10)
BERLIN
56.3%

(09)
TOKYO
55.4%

NEWCOMER
TAIPEI
54.5%

(20)
MONTRÉAL
53.6%

NEWCOMER
VANCOUVER
53.6%

(17)
HAMBURG
52.7%

Yeah...
Well done for my city... but I still angry with the bad infraestructure.
I'll read the index and comment my thoughts.

Saludos!

Last edited by TopWatch; June 28th, 2019 at 08:06 PM.
TopWatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement