Newcastle and the North East - Cycling Infrastructure and other Cycling-related issues - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Cycling

Cycling All about fastest, healthiest and cheapest way to go around town

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Newcastle and the North East - Cycling Infrastructure and other Cycling-related issues

Cycle lanes/routes.

I've been cycling for several years now and there's a definite increase in the number of people doing the same. That's only going to increase as more people become aware of the environmental and health benefits and less people can afford the increased fuel, insurance etc costs as job cuts bite.

Yet our cycle network is awful, in the suburbs as well as in the city centre, where there are no cycle lanes at all presently, just "no car lanes", which throws cyclists in with lorries, buses, vans and taxis.

One thing that I would say is that on the busy roads, cycle lanes shouldn't be put in by simply repainting a bit of tarmac. You really do need to either widen the road slightly or have the lane physically separated with curb stones from the main traffic.

I would have thought that making people feel safer when cycling would genuinely increase the number of people doing it which in turn would reduce traffic on the road (allowing the council to avoid a number of other traffic improvements), make people safer and healthier and hit a lot of environmental targets.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #2
gregstone

Likes (Received): 27

there was a positive meeting with a cyclist delegation before the last council meeting last week - they made a number of good suggestions and agreed to get involved with our cycle user group. There is political will to improve the situation but we need the highways engineers to step up a gear as well.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
. . . . I really do think that we need a proper cycle network within the city centre as that's where you find the big concentrations of traffic and if people don't feel safe on the last part of their journey, there's no point having a cycle network throughout the suburbs.
Couldn't have put it better!

We have some long cycle corridors along arterial routes, but just as you get to the last 200mtrs from a major hub, then you're right in the thick of it among the busses, taxis, trucks and racers.
I feel safer cycling in central London.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #4
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
Couldn't have put it better!

We have some long cycle corridors along arterial routes, but just as you get to the last 200mtrs from a major hub, then you're right in the thick of it among the busses, taxis, trucks and racers.
I feel safer cycling in central London.
True... and the endless lights. It can take nearly as long to cycle from Barras Bridge to near the Central Station as it does from Gosforth to Barras Bridge.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #5
gregstone

Likes (Received): 27

Funnily enough these specific points came up - the city centre being seen as one of the main problems. Particular ire from cycling councillors about the way the Great North Road cycle lane comes to a sudden halt at Barras Bridge
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #6
kedos

Likes (Received): 7

Not sure if this is the right thread or if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed in town yesterday there was a planning permission poster for a "boris' bikes emporium" aka self serve bike hire! It was on the first (?) lamppost down Grey Street from Monument. I presume there are other going to be situated around town, does anyone have a map?
kedos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #7
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1190

This is where there are sighs all round, and I might have missed this in the forum but there's a planning notice in front of the Waterline for what seems to be a bicycle rental stand ala Boris in London [or the Paris bike scheme]. Anyone know anything ?
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
kedos

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
This is where there are sighs all round, and I might have missed this in the forum but there's a planning notice in front of the Waterline for what seems to be a bicycle rental stand ala Boris in London [or the Paris bike scheme]. Anyone know anything ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedos View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread or if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed in town yesterday there was a planning permission poster for a "boris' bikes emporium" aka self serve bike hire! It was on the first (?) lamppost down Grey Street from Monument. I presume there are other going to be situated around town, does anyone have a map?
Yeah I noticed a sign up on Grey Street...any more been spotted?
kedos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #9
inmh88
Urban Myth

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Yes I do, it's very probably Scratchbikes who are working in association with NE1 to expand their bike hire scheme across the City.

They were a Newcastle University start-up, mainly concentrating bikes hires to the Students on the Newcastle Uni campus.

But it looks like they are ready to expand outwards!

Read this for details
inmh88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #10
inmh88
Urban Myth

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Yes I do, it's very probably Scratchbikes who are working in association with NE1 to expand their bike hire scheme across the City.

They were a Newcastle University start-up, mainly concentrating bikes hires to the Students on the Newcastle Uni campus.

But it looks like they are ready to expand outwards!

Read this for details
inmh88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microkomputer View Post
There's been one on Jesmond Road - where the shops are, by the Cradlewell - for a while now. I've no idea if it's part of the same initiative. It always struck me as a bit half-arsed. (Which I suppose it is if there's only the one rental point - what do you do, ride around in a circle?) I'll check it out more closely tomorrow as I pass.
There is a cycle notice outside the Central Station near the taxi rank outside the Station Hotel with location map.

Anyway...sat in a nice blue deckchair at Quayside Seaside today. Watched two young ladies playing volletball, no bikinis on show and enjoyed humid sunshine? (shurely shome mishstake)
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2071

Quote:
On the Quayside, the rental bikes have started to arrive.
Bicycle hire scheme is launched in Central Newcastle
by Rachel Wearmouth, The Journal, July 23rd 2011

Daniel Eccles, 12, of Walker, Newcastle, amid a sea of bikes as the new scheme is launched in the centre of Newcastle

CITY dwellers will be using pedal power to boost their fitness as a budget bike hire scheme is extended throughout Newcastle. A fleet of 150 bikes will be available to pick up and drop off at hire stations in a Paris-style rental programme launched yesterday.

The scheme sees business district improvement agency NE1 team up with ScratchBikes, a business already providing the service to the city’s student population.

Bikes can be collected or returned to any one of 15 hire stations at key points including Central Station, Monument and the Haymarket, the RVI and university and college campuses.

Another seven hire points will eventually see the scheme reach residents in the suburbs, in a bid to encourage workers, students and members of the public to cycle into the City Centre. If needed, the bike can be re-hired when the two hours expire.

Around 100 bikers pedaled across Gateshead’s Millennium Bridge yesterday to mark the opening of the scheme.

Rob Grisdale, ScratchBikes chief executive, said: “Newcastle has a compact City Centre, so cycling is a brilliant way of getting around and an excellent way to get fit and healthy. “Cycling from the Quayside up Dean Street to the Monument is a great workout even for the most ardent cyclist – rest assured, the rest of the City Centre is pretty flat, so not such a testing journey.”

Sean Bullick, chief executive of NE1 Ltd said: “The cycle hire scheme is another of NE1’s initiatives to encourage people into the city this summer and to enjoy all that’s on offer. “Cycle schemes run in many European cities and launching a scheme in Newcastle demonstrates the city’s credentials as a modern, cosmopolitan, European city.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1Sv2cMdkB
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Bicycle hire scheme is launched in Central Newcastle
by Rachel Wearmouth, The Journal, July 23rd 2011

Daniel Eccles, 12, of Walker, Newcastle, amid a sea of bikes as the new scheme is launched in the centre of Newcastle

CITY dwellers will be using pedal power to boost their fitness as a budget bike hire scheme is extended throughout Newcastle. A fleet of 150 bikes will be available to pick up and drop off at hire stations in a Paris-style rental programme launched yesterday.

The scheme sees business district improvement agency NE1 team up with ScratchBikes, a business already providing the service to the city’s student population.

Bikes can be collected or returned to any one of 15 hire stations at key points including Central Station, Monument and the Haymarket, the RVI and university and college campuses.

Another seven hire points will eventually see the scheme reach residents in the suburbs, in a bid to encourage workers, students and members of the public to cycle into the City Centre. If needed, the bike can be re-hired when the two hours expire.

Around 100 bikers pedaled across Gateshead’s Millennium Bridge yesterday to mark the opening of the scheme.

Rob Grisdale, ScratchBikes chief executive, said: “Newcastle has a compact City Centre, so cycling is a brilliant way of getting around and an excellent way to get fit and healthy. “Cycling from the Quayside up Dean Street to the Monument is a great workout even for the most ardent cyclist – rest assured, the rest of the City Centre is pretty flat, so not such a testing journey.”

Sean Bullick, chief executive of NE1 Ltd said: “The cycle hire scheme is another of NE1’s initiatives to encourage people into the city this summer and to enjoy all that’s on offer. “Cycle schemes run in many European cities and launching a scheme in Newcastle demonstrates the city’s credentials as a modern, cosmopolitan, European city.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1Sv2cMdkB
Managed to get a couple of snaps of the Scratch Bike 'parking lot' on the Monument end of Grey Street, Seems to be a good idea provided that folk don't start riding up and down Northumberland Street which is one of my pet hates even though it is banned (grumpy old man).

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #14
WaywoodSis

Likes (Received): 0

Be interesting if they could roll this out to Gateshead centre and perhaps some of the inner suburbs. Although I assume if this is an NE1 scheme then perhaps they want to keep it within their patch.
WaywoodSis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #15
cranfan

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Managed to get a couple of snaps of the Scratch Bike 'parking lot' on the Monument end of Grey Street, Seems to be a good idea provided that folk don't start riding up and down Northumberland Street which is one of my pet hates even though it is banned (grumpy old man).
Yes, was thinking it would be a good idea to sign up, but now I'm reminded that the places I walk in town aren't necessarily possible to ride. The various measures taken to persuade people to drive to the metrocentre instead of town will for the most part apply to bikes as well.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Landscapeadvocate

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
Yes, was thinking it would be a good idea to sign up, but now I'm reminded that the places I walk in town aren't necessarily possible to ride. T
Perhaps this is the first step in improving the cycle-ability of Newcastle?
I have always been annoyed at
a) the metro wont take bikes - this is the 21st century!!! We are supposed to have integrated public transport!!!
b) neither do buses (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_V4w18ZWaPa...ke-Rack-01.jpg)
c) there are virtually no bike lanes

On the positive at least the council car parks offer free and secure bike parking.
Landscapeadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2071

Metro bosses reject call to allow bikes on trains
by Michael Brown, Evening Chronicle, February 9th 2012

METRO BOSSES have rejected calls from cycle campaigners for a pilot project that could pave the way for taking bikes on trains. Network operator Nexus said now is “not the right time” to allow cycles on busy train services and through deep underground stations, but the firm said they would work with activists to improve life for cyclists with measures which could include a “Boris Bike” type system with bikes for hire at stations.

Folding bikes are allowed on the Metro but the ban on fixed-wheelers has for decades been a big bugbear to the cycling community. It was a hot topic when members of the Newcastle Cycling Campaign met train managers last November.

Claire Prospert, from the campaign, said allowing bikes would show the region's desire to go green.

Huw Lewis, head of communications at Nexus which owns and manages Metro, said the priority right now was to better connect cyclists with stations. “Cyclists are free to travel on Metro with folded bikes, and while there are good reasons why full-size bikes are not allowed on what is a very busy train system with deep underground stations, that's not the end of the story.”

“We are about to trial new larger and more secure storage at two stations, while bidding in partnership with local councils and Sustrans for Government funding to pay for a much wider improvement of facilities.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1lzXHDvmO
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 37

I see the reasoning here. It would be great to allow bikers on but it just isn't going to work for several reasons.

You know 3 or 4 idiots at a time with massive bikes rucksacks etc are going to try using the trains during rush hour therefore causing huge problems. Add that to someone in a wheelchair who needs to use the metro and a couple of pram pushing mums and you've got hell on. The odd person overground with one bike at off peak time sadly will have to continue to suffer.

Plus Charvers...Come on, little or big scrotes on BMX trying to cycle down stairs etc etc. You know it's going to end with some innocent traveller getting hit, knocked onto the track etc. The little **** on a scooter who (very skillfully I have to say) scooted his way up the centre of a moving Metro I was on the other day would have a charter to be a knob.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #19
cranfan

Likes (Received): 67

I don't think anyone is advocating allowing people to take their bikes during rush hour, or to ride them through the stations.

Unfortunately the time to have had this campaign effort would be before the refurb jobs started, so that you could arrange for bike space on the trains as part of that.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #20
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
I don't think anyone is advocating allowing people to take their bikes during rush hour, or to ride them through the stations.
No, but people would try it, sure as eggs.

Quote:
Unfortunately the time to have had this campaign effort would be before the refurb jobs started, so that you could arrange for bike space on the trains as part of that.
Indeed.
Advertisement

Tags
bicycle, bicycle lanes, bicycles, bike lanes, bikes, cycle, cycle lanes, cycling, cycling infrastructure, cyclists, newcastle, newcastle transport, transport