Newcastle and the North East - Cycling Infrastructure and other Cycling-related issues - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Cycling

Cycling All about fastest, healthiest and cheapest way to go around town

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM   #41
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 806

Something that has got on my nerves in North Tyneside has been that the Foxhunters roundabout is seeing an additional path creating on both sides next to existing paths for what I assume is going to be a cycle path. Now I see no point as further up the Rake lane road there is a cycle lane which is ignored by cyclists. Also that corner is very narrow and it would actually be wise to widen it for the cars. Lets add on top all of the pot holes in the borough that haven't been fixed and the fact that some places don't even have a dedicated foot path to them, I.E. Murton where you have to walk alongside a narrow country road (with a national speed limit in places) with zero visibility around corners and no street lighting. Get your priorities in order please NTC.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM   #42
cranfan

Likes (Received): 67

If Gateshead had a cyclist formulating policy they wouldn't draw cycle lanes that are narrower than DfT guidelines, or run in the "door zone" alongside parked cars, or simply stop when there is not enough existing road width to accomodate them.

As to the Team Valley scheme, it looks as if most if not all of the new bus lanes are to be new tarmac, so it should not be completely useless like the A167 situation. Whether it makes a big difference remains to be seen. The Kingsway/Lobley Hill Road roundabout signals might be a help, certainly I've seen that roundabout become dysfunctional at peak times.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM   #43
Squipper

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
If Gateshead had a cyclist formulating policy they wouldn't draw cycle lanes that are narrower than DfT guidelines, or run in the "door zone" alongside parked cars, or simply stop when there is not enough existing road width to accomodate them.

As to the Team Valley scheme, it looks as if most if not all of the new bus lanes are to be new tarmac, so it should not be completely useless like the A167 situation. Whether it makes a big difference remains to be seen. The Kingsway/Lobley Hill Road roundabout signals might be a help, certainly I've seen that roundabout become dysfunctional at peak times.
I wouldn't recommend putting cycle lanes round there, yet more damage there today to the railings due to smash ups!

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #44
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4776

Pilgrim Street Mystery

Spotted this on the lower part of Pilgrim Street this morning - anyone know the significance of the signage?

Image hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Pilgrim%20Street

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #45
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3924

National Cycle Network number - Great North Cycleway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Spotted this on the lower part of Pilgrim Street this morning - anyone know the significance of the signage?
http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1440&bih=749

The Great North Cycleway

The Great North Cycleway (GNC) is a major new cycle route which will eventually run from Darlington in the south to Blyth in the north going through Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle and North Tyneside. The project is supported by the local authorities on the route and by Sustrans, the active travel charity. The route will be of national significance and will eventually be given a national designation number – NCN 725. The length is likely to be around 70 miles.

Some of the route has already been determined and will be signed as Great North Cycleway over the next few months but other sections have still to be consulted on and decided. This consultation is about the section from the end of the Town Moor to Farne Avenue which will lead into the Great Park.

In Newcastle the GNC will come over the Tyne Bridge, up Pilgrim Street to Market Street and on to John Dobson Street coming past the Civic Centre on its way to the Town Moor. From here it will cross Gosforth on a line that still has to be consulted on, heading for Great Park and Hazelrigg. From Hazelrigg the GNC will go on to link up with the National Cycle Network route 10, the Reivers’ Way before going on to Blyth and National Cycle Network 1 on the coast.

The aim is to have a route which can be used by a sensible 12 year old on their own, a family with young children or a novice adult. This is in line with the standard of other national cycle routes such as Hadrian’s Cycleway on the quayside.

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #46
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 24

is the signage telling cyclists to merge onto the road, or telling them to cross to the other side?
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #47
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4776

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
is the signage telling cyclists to merge onto the road, or telling them to cross to the other side?
I assume it is merge with the road.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #48
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

I hate these half-arsed attempts at cycle routes. These points where you have to merge in and out of traffic are always the place where you feel like there'll be an accident.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #49
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 24

That's just what I was thinking. I'm not sure I'd want a sensible 12-year-old on their own to be merging onto the road there. Directly opposite a bus stop, which, albeit away from the main carriageway, causes other vehicles to veer out further into the road.

If the council were really bothered they would at least paint a cycle lane onto the road. Or better yet get rid of that car park bay and run the cycle path alongside the road.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #50
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1192

Slightly off topic [though related to roads]. Here's a law from over the Irish sea that could usefully be implemented here:

Quote:
Cyclists to face on-the-spot fines for breaking traffic laws

New penalties to be introduced from 2014

Christopher McKinley, Irish Times: Thu, Jul 18, 2013,

On-the-spot fines for traffic violations will be extended to include cyclists from 2014, according to the Department of Transport.

While the list of traffic offences to which the fines will apply has not yet been finalised, they are likely to include breaking a red light, cycling on a footpath and failing to yield right of way at a ‘yield’ sign.

More..http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...laws-1.1467633
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #51
Commuto
Planning Officer

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Slightly off topic [though related to roads]. Here's a law from over the Irish sea that could usefully be implemented here:

I commute by bike to work whenever I can and have experienced a few Cyclehatred occasions. Overall, most cyclists stick to the Highway Code but there are a few who are reckless and tarnish the image of cyclists as a whole. I would probably support this law if it were proposed as long as it wasn't a measure to demonise cyclists and implemented to make roads safer for all users.

On a slightly separate issue, councils in Tyne and Wear need to sort out their cycling infrastructure. Not only are many poor quality but some are downright scary and dangerous!
Commuto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #52
Delaval

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:

I'm sorry but I'm missing something here. What could be implemented here? The law already allows for fixed penalty notices to be issued to cyclists riding on the pavement, going through red lights or going the wrong way down a one way street.
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #53
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
I'm sorry but I'm missing something here. What could be implemented here? The law already allows for fixed penalty notices to be issued to cyclists riding on the pavement, going through red lights or going the wrong way down a one way street.
Road traffic is way off my patch have done a bit of checking and you're right;
Highways Act 1835, Sn72 as amended by Sn85 (1) of the Local Government Act 1888. I'm going to write that down.

I took the red light and wrong way as a sort of given - though it's a real bugbear of mine, for some reason the Melbourne St-Gibson St-City Rd circuit seems especially prone to it. I ve more than one almost ended up with a rider looking like the spirit of ecstasy on my bonnet [their riding the wrong way, directly towards me] and have been given a mouthful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
I see that some homourist has been out and about on the A1 with some paint again.

One of the signs on the northbound A1 indicating the turnoff to Shilbottle has had the lowercase letter 'L' converted by a simple horizontal bar into a lower case 'T'.

(This isn't the first time and maybe this one has been there for a while and I've only just noticed).
Good job I used the right paint . Not condoning vandalism and yes being a bit of a schoolboy, but that has made me chuckle.
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:51 AM   #54
F.I.Nanjeffin
BuiltenvironMentalist

Likes (Received): 49

People need to chill out a bit where cyclists are concerned. We're just trying to make progress.
F.I.Nanjeffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM   #55
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 147

One thing I don't understand is why some cyclists insist on using the road when there is a cycle lane available, for example between the blue house roundabout and Newcastle.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:24 PM   #56
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.Nanjeffin View Post
People need to chill out a bit where cyclists are concerned. We're just trying to make progress.
It's just a compliance issue. I see a car [of which there are many more] going the wrong way perhaps once a year and the only red light running I see is a car so close on amber that there's a screech to a halt and be hit form behind question.... I see cyclists wrong -waying perhaps once a week and crossing red lights daily.

Now the extra dimension is if I step out in front of a car going the wrong way [because prosaically I assume vehicles go the right way] then chances are the car's insurer will cough up. Do the same thing with a cyclist and chances are there's no insurance.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldjohn View Post
One thing I don't understand is why some cyclists insist on using the road when there is a cycle lane available, for example between the blue house roundabout and Newcastle.
I risk sounding like Clarkson [and it may be because I live on a one way circuit] but I would just like to see some consistency.... follow the rules of the road or get fined or banned, carry insurance, whatever vehicle you're in or on.

It's customary at this point for a cycling evangelist or two to highlight how bad drivers are... which may be the case.... but I d venture that there is a larger cultural shift needed amongst riders than drivers. Very few drivers would go straight through a red light or drive merrily the wrong way along a one way street yet this seems to be normal or acceptable to many cyclists.

It's an issue of safety arising from a high probability of compliance/predictable behaviour. As a driver, a bike rider or motorcyclist I assume [have to assume] that other road users will broadly comply with rules of the road. If that behaviour/compliance is unpredictable then the roads become gridlocked [or inherently unsafe].

That said I can make a case for the US style 'right on a red', or as it would be here left on a red, where a red light for a left turn becomes a 'give way sign' if there is no traffic.
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:59 PM   #57
vx999

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
It's just a compliance issue. I see a car [of which there are many more] going the wrong way perhaps once a year and the only red light running I see is a car so close on amber that there's a screech to a halt and be hit form behind question.... I see cyclists wrong -waying perhaps once a week and crossing red lights daily.
Saw a cyclist on the A167 Old Durham Road last week, he had the nerve to shout at and give the finger to a motorist coming out of Dryden Road on green who hooted at him as he went straight across on red.

The cyclist seemed to feel the car coming through the green should yield to him as he ignored the red .
vx999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:59 PM   #58
Commuto
Planning Officer

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldjohn View Post
Sometimes the cycle lanes are either badly designed or in some cases downright dangerous. I always try to cycle in either a cycle lane or off road track but it's not always possible for one reason or another.

This country has a lot to learn about infrastructure. The cycle paths in the Netherlands are amazing. They're great for cyclists, great for motorists, and great for pedestrians. I'm sure if this type of infrastructure was here in the UK there would be a lot less confrontation on the roads.
Commuto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:20 PM   #59
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuto View Post
Sometimes the cycle lanes are either badly designed or in some cases downright dangerous. .
The one I described is fine, I have cycled it many times and it is much safer than sharing a road with 50 mph vehicles.

It is usually the die hard, lycra clad cyclists who insist on using the road, as if they have something to prove.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:30 PM   #60
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx999 View Post
Saw a cyclist on the A167 Old Durham Road last week, he had the nerve to shout at and give the finger to a motorist coming out of Dryden Road on green who hooted at him as he went straight across on red.

The cyclist seemed to feel the car coming through the green should yield to him as he ignored the red .
I had my 3 year old godson out to Saltwell Park late last month and he was in his tikes car (those red cars with yellow roofs)

I crossed at the old College crossing waiting for said green man. Started crossing and a cyclist came straight infront of us and knocked the side of my godsons car nearly tipping it over. Safe to say I was absolutely furious. The cyclist accused me of crossing without paying attention (I was on a green man, well into the safety zone and cars had stopped) This cyclist had come out of Saltwell View (which was closed to all traffic and cyclists) If my godson hadn't have been there I'd have throttled him. The driver of a Citroen Xsara that was stopped at the lights got out, picked the cyclists bike up and threw it across the road explaining this guy was a tosser. Said cyclist called police, sadly my memory went blank when I was called upon. If that had been a car the guy would have been in court, I'd have had the registration and traffic police on scene.

I take the dog to the park every day and cyclists are constantly ignoring lights on Durham Road. I'm sorry but if one hits me or causes me to move I'll ensure he doesn't ride the bike again for a long time. I've reported it to the Police countless times and we ended up with a PCSO handing out leaflets to cyclists. Woopee

I know there's a minority of safe cyclists but the majority on Durham Road are complete arseholes and will frankly deserve it when they get hit by something, its the only way they will learn
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bicycle, bicycle lanes, bicycles, bike lanes, bikes, cycle, cycle lanes, cycling, cycling infrastructure, cyclists, newcastle, newcastle transport, transport