Proposed | PARRAMATTA | Roxy Theatre (69 George Street) | 33st/126m | Office - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales > Parramatta CBD

Parramatta CBD and surrounding areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2018, 11:48 PM   #41
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 40

Good integration with a tower will ensure the theater is protected for more than a generation.
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2018, 06:17 AM   #42
Panther Power

Likes (Received): 607

The car park right behind it it proposed to be the parramatta metro west train station, it deserves the tower as it is also apart of the green civic link, nimbys again
Panther Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:37 AM   #43
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 16143

surlely they will go with redevelopment and tower??
NSW court to decide the fate of Parramatta's historic Roxy Theatre

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...X1z0omN82m-tdI

A NSW court is set to decide whether the historic Roxy Theatre in Parramatta will be transformed into an entertainment complex beneath a high-rise office block, or reopened as a city watering hole.

The landmark art deco theatre on George Street has operated as an inter-war picture palace, a Hoyts cinema triplex, a bar and a live music venue.

But the shape it takes next has sparked passionate debate as Parramatta balances its development boom with preservation of the city's heritage.

An artist's impression of what the proposed Roxy Theatre redevelopment could look like.
An artist's impression of what the proposed Roxy Theatre redevelopment could look like.

Photo: RAA Architects
Roxy owner David Kingston wants to overhaul the 1930s theatre as a multilevel "leisure and cultural facility" with a 700-seat auditorium, ballroom, function centre, cafes, restaurants and retail space.

The ambitious 30-storey building design concept submitted to planning authorities also included office space in a tower set back from the state heritage-listed theatre's facade.

That plan was recommended for rejection by the Heritage Council of NSW and was knocked back by the Sydney West Central Planning Panel last September.

While the heritage council said it "strongly supports a reactivation of the Roxy Theatre" that protected and complemented its state-heritage significance, it opposed the tower's height.

Mr Kingston's company, K Capital Group, has since launched legal action against the City of Parramatta Council in the NSW Land and Environment Court in a bid to win approval for the tower.

The case has been set down for a two-day hearing from June 12.

Mr Kingston previously indicated he would consider reopening the venue as a pub and nightclub if the tower was not approved.

He said that option "would deprive the wider Parramatta and western suburbs communities of the world-class five-level cultural and entertainment facility" he proposed.

In court documents, K Capital Group said there were not enough cultural, leisure and event spaces in Parramatta and western Sydney - particularly in metropolitan centres.

"The Roxy project is much more than just the restoration of a major heritage building.

"The express objective of the owner is for the landmark Roxy restoration and development to become the pre-eminent multi-purpose cultural and leisure facility in western Sydney."

The theatre's auditorium would be restored and reopened under the tower plan, however, that would be financially unviable if the venue reopened as a pub or nightclub, the documents said.

"After four years of collaborative engagement with the authorities, there are only two options for the
Roxy.

"[The tower complex] is demonstrably in the interests of the residential and business communities of Parramatta and surrounding suburbs.

"However it cannot occur unless an economically viable tower is approved."

Western Sydney Business Chamber director David Borger last year suggested the Roxy instead be turned into a live music venue, similar to the Enmore Theatre.
Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2023 , 338 Pitt- 2024 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:39 AM   #44
fredthehead

Likes (Received): 60

Quote from SMH
"A NSW court is set to decide whether the historic Roxy Theatre in Parramatta will be transformed into an entertainment complex beneath a high-rise office block, or reopened as a city watering hole."

Id rather it be a cinema and tower than a watering hole any day.

Joshdin, luxvolcon liked this post
fredthehead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 10:03 AM   #45
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

Likes (Received): 826

I'd rather see it turned into a live music venue, as I have stated countless times.

ParraMan, SydneyWorks, mrErythroxylum liked this post
Parravillian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:16 PM   #46
mitchelljb

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parravillian View Post
I'd rather see it turned into a live music venue, as I have stated countless times.
It would fail again, like last time. Maybe a Bollywood cinema complex would work.

SydneyWorks liked this post
mitchelljb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:07 AM   #47
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parravillian View Post
yes but with a skyscraper rising behind it
Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2023 , 338 Pitt- 2024 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum

luxvolcon, SydneyWorks liked this post
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:11 AM   #48
Panther Power

Likes (Received): 607

It needs the highrise because directly behind it they are going to put the metro station, you dont want to get out of the station and see the back of the Roxy you want to see a new high rise building

Panther Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:44 AM   #49
CULWULLA

highrise part of project-= viable

Old May 24th, 2019, 02:05 AM   #50
Stanwell

Likes (Received): 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljb View Post
It would fail again, like last time. Maybe a Bollywood cinema complex would work.

I think you could it use it as an entertainment venue for any particular ethnic group or form of entertainment. Korean, Chinese, Thai, Balkan etc communities have their own favourite artists who tour Australia. You could also use it for comedy, music or cinema. I think they need to market it properly.

I do hate the idea of it as a watering hole though. I went in years ago one time when it was a watering hole, and it didn't particularly appeal to me.

mitchelljb liked this post
Stanwell está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 03:24 AM   #51
CULWULLA

i drew up proposal from plans
looks good
i simplified tower but gives idea

decromin, Panther Power, SydneyWorks liked this post
Old May 24th, 2019, 03:38 AM   #52
CULWULLA

at 126m it aint no sears tower, nestled nicley in centre of the CBD

decromin, luxvolcon, fro, fredthehead liked this post
Old May 24th, 2019, 03:43 AM   #53
CULWULLA

bumped from over page
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
i drew up proposal from plans
looks good
i simplified tower but gives idea

decromin, mitchelljb liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement