Leeds Outer Ring Road Orbital Motorway - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #1
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 546

Leeds Outer Ring Road Orbital Motorway

London and Manchester have one, Leeds has half of one. Our completed 'half' is:
A1 South, M1, M62 West

What do people think about completing it as follows;

From M62 West, upgrade A650 to motorway, upgrade A6177, upgrade A658 as far as the Airport, then a new Motorway East to join up back with the A1....

I wish
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Can't see it ever happening to be honest. Getting the ring road upgraded to dual carriageway between the Lawnswood roundabout and Dawsons Corner with the Horsforth and Rodley roundabouts remodelled, so as not to be complete bottlenecks in rush hour, would make a huge difference to traffic flow in north Leeds and be relatively straightforward I would have thought.

There was a survey done by the council a few years ago amongst ring road users that identified this section as being the problem area of the ring road, but as usual nothing seems to have happened. Ho hum!
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #3
LeedsLad

I have a map of my proposal but how do I put it up on here please???

Last edited by LeedsLad; August 26th, 2005 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Fred2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si
Can't see it ever happening to be honest. Getting the ring road upgraded to dual carriageway between the Lawnswood roundabout and Dawsons Corner with the Horsforth and Rodley roundabouts remodelled, so as not to be complete bottlenecks in rush hour, would make a huge difference to traffic flow in north Leeds and be relatively straightforward I would have thought.

There was a survey done by the council a few years ago amongst ring road users that identified this section as being the problem area of the ring road, but as usual nothing seems to have happened. Ho hum!
There were firm proposals to make it dual carriageway - I remember going to a public enquiry about it -but the government pulled the plug.
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 1468

The A6177 is just a windy back street and that route is perhaps too far out.

The current A6110 and A6120 should be made full dual carriageway all the way round, so from J1 of the M621 round to J46 of the M1, with the current motorways will make a full loop right round the whole of Leeds.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #6
ps60
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 1698

If nothing else, it looks as if things are happening on Leeds Inner Ring Road.

Application 21/247/05/FU
Received on 05/08/2005

Description
variation of condition no.2 of permission 99-20/201/94/fu (construction of viaduct)
LEEDS INNER RING ROAD (WHITEHOUSE STREET TO RICHMOND BRIDGE) LEEDS 3033 3133 3132 LS10 MAJ
Library
Belle Isle
ps60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #7
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2455

I dont think there will ever be any motorway constructed to go round north leeds, although maybe a smaller road might. I do think however a dual carriageway to extend straight up from where the M62 curves round between Leeds and Bradford up to the airport would prove to be a great transport corridor between 2 major cities and the airport.
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #8
LeedsLad

Still would like to post a map on here but I don't know how - anyone help me out?
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:27 AM   #9
Typhoo25

Likes (Received): 12

There are plans to make the road from Horsforth to Roundhay in dual carriageway. I seem to think that there is a low. medium and high cost plan. This is the high cost plan which means it is unlikely to happen and I expect there would be many objections to this. I have also seen plans to change the road from horsforth roundabout to the crematorium into dual carriageway and then build a dual carriageway over the hill opposite the crematorium up to the airport. I think this was on the medium cost plans.

Any idea when the Ponterfract Road (I think that is what it is called) will be made dual carriageway to allow the motorway junctions to be opened?
Typhoo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:32 AM   #10
Leeds No.1

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/A6120%20Leed...ge.aspx?style=

I know the thing you mean, Ive seen it too. The road to the airport was in medium and high cost. There was also a rail link to the airport in high cost and maybe medium, I can't quite remember. Low Cost would mean improvements on the existing road only.
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:52 AM   #11
magicrealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsLad
Still would like to post a map on here but I don't know how - anyone help me out?
Go to www.imageshack.us and upload your image. Then click on the thumbnail to get the URL for the full size image.

Copy and paste the URL between [IMG][/IMG] tags. Or go to Advanced edit and click on the insert picture icon.

Look forward to seeing your map!
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:43 PM   #12
LeedsLad

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks Magic - Gotta click on it to make it bigger!!!!
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:16 AM   #13
Leeds No.1

Except for maybe the top bit, looks good to me. On the Thorpe Park site, the map suggests an East Leeds Orbital following the shape of the inner ring road from the surrent M1-A1 Link South East Leeds Orbital, up to the A58 I think, so...
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:26 AM   #14
Martyn

that blue line obliterates my flat! i can't see leeds hijacking any part of bradford's ring road as its own just yet. and the A658 through undercliffe isn't a big thoroughfare by any means, any development of it would involve lots of demolition.
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:28 AM   #15
Leeds No.1

Yes, I wouldn't make it part of a Bradford Ring Road- I bet if this road was built it would be a very busy road too- used as a quick link from the 2 cities and as a major route straight through the conurbation from the Yorkshire Dales to the motorway network. I'm sure it would take alot of traffic out of Leeds City Centre and Bradford, particularly Leeds' inner ring road.
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM   #16
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 196

The road would be better going around the whole of Leeds and Bradford from the J23 area of the M62 past Halifax on towards Bingley, then from Bingley to Guiseley NW Leeds, past the airport and on towards the A1(M) at Wetherby. This would also ease the M62 between Leeds and Bradford as well as provide links to the Airport from both the East and the West.

Whether or not Leeds and Bradford ever tie links between the two cities, they will continue to grow towards each other. It makes more sense to plan ahead and think of the two cities as been together. On the Green side of things planners could be made to ensure development is kept within the boundrys of the new road.

Last edited by SmartCity; September 1st, 2005 at 02:10 PM.
SmartCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:08 PM   #17
LeedsLad

The West Yorkshire Local Transport Plan suggests future long term development of the Leeds Outer Ring Road (no real details but an interesting read on Long Term Plans for ALL Leeds transport).
Also if you go to the Thorpe Park Website as mentioned above, it suggests a future East Leeds Orbital Road - anyone know anything about this????
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #18
LeedsLad

Guess no-one knows anything about the East Leeds Orbital Route I mentioned above then??
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #19
Alphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoo25
There are plans to make the road from Horsforth to Roundhay in dual carriageway. I seem to think that there is a low. medium and high cost plan. This is the high cost plan which means it is unlikely to happen and I expect there would be many objections to this. I have also seen plans to change the road from horsforth roundabout to the crematorium into dual carriageway and then build a dual carriageway over the hill opposite the crematorium up to the airport. I think this was on the medium cost plans.

Any idea when the Ponterfract Road (I think that is what it is called) will be made dual carriageway to allow the motorway junctions to be opened?
Forgive me if this seems stupid, it may just be my lack of knowledge about roads (I´m only 18), but surely the horsforth to roundhay section already is dual carriageway? I live about 5 minutes from this road and cross it several times a day on foot. Two lanes of traffic in each direction, separated carriageways, roundabouts and traffic-light controlled junctions = dual carriageway??
Alphie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #20
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlRP
Forgive me if this seems stupid, it may just be my lack of knowledge about roads (I´m only 18), but surely the horsforth to roundhay section already is dual carriageway? I live about 5 minutes from this road and cross it several times a day on foot. Two lanes of traffic in each direction, separated carriageways, roundabouts and traffic-light controlled junctions = dual carriageway??
It's dual carriageway between the Lawnswood roundabout (Otley Road) and the Moortown roundabout (Harrogate Road). However the sections between Harrogate Road and Wetherby Road (ie passing by Roundhay) and between Lawnswood and Dawsons Corner are single carriageway.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement