BRAZIL - FIFA World Cup 2014 - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #81
kamilo
MUSE
 
kamilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bogota - Tallahassee
Posts: 481
Likes (Received): 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Is Colombia not an option, they would have hosted '86 if it wasn't for some vulcano eruption or something and Venezuela with all their new stadiums for the South America championship, they have got a lot of stadiums which will be ready for sure!
Or did they accept cashmoney on forhand?
here is your answer.

Colombia bids for 2014 World Cup

Could Valderrama see the World Cup back in his home nation of Colombia?
Colombia has surprisingly joined the race to host the World Cup when it returns to South America in 2014.
The South American Federation (Conmebol) had put forward Brazil as the sole applicant, but Colombia intends to challenge their bid.

Colombian president Alvaro Uribe said: "I think Colombia is capable of hosting a football World Cup. I'm sure we will achieve it and will do it very well."

The country was awarded the 1986 event but withdrew with Mexico stepping in.

Uribe made the announcement at the Central and Caribbean Games, which are being held in Colombia, and has now put his vice-president Francisco Santos in charge of the project.

In 2003, Fifa president Sepp Blatter announced the 2014 World Cup would be staged in South America following the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

However, a candidate has not yet been chosen and Blatter has suggested Argentina and Chile could provide some competition to Brazil by submitting a joint bid.

Blatter has already criticised Brazil's stadiums and infrastructure but Colombia has its own political problems associated with rebel factions and drug cartels.

Colombia was not able to stage the World Cup 20 years ago because of financial problems and increased violence
__________________
How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"?
kamilo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #82
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERMOSILLENSE View Post
2010 South Africa
2014 Brazil
2018 China
2022 Canada
2026 Australia
2030 Uruguay
2034 Europe
28 years between European tournaments? Three Americas tournaments between Euro comps? Having a laugh, aren't we?

From Soccernet...

YOKOHAMA, Dec 17 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter warned Brazil on Sunday that there were several other countries in line to host the 2014 World Cup if their bid was not up to scratch.

Brazil formally submitted a bid to FIFA for the 2014 finals this week, hoping to bring the tournament to the country for the first time since 1950.

The 2014 World Cup is scheduled to take place in South America as part of FIFA's rotation policy and Brazil's bid is expected to be the only one from the region.

But critics say only one Brazilian stadium, the Arena da Baixada in Curitiba, is in good enough condition to host a World Cup finals match.

There are also serious concerns over public safety and transport.

'There are so many countries on the starting blocks to organise a World Cup - both in that region and out of that region,' Blatter told reporters.

'I'm sure Brazil are doing everything possible to get the 2014 World Cup. We have not yet heard from the other countries in South America to see if Brazil's is not the only bid.'

Blatter said last week that if a South American bid fell short of FIFA's requirements the 2014 tournament could be 'moved north.'

But the FIFA chief even floated the idea of taking the competition back to Asia in the event of a botched bid from South America.

'We have not yet decided the rotation of the World Cup after 2014,' Blatter told reporters in Yokohama before Sunday's Club World Cup final.

'Do we say America is one continent? Because CONCACAF are a FIFA confederation too. We could even come back to Asia - though Japan and South korea hosted the 2002 World Cup.'

FIFA will announce the host of the finals next November. The next World Cup will be in South Africa in 2010.

Once again, I suspect that England and the USA's ability to host at short notice will be used to 'incentivise' a Brazilian bid.
Benjuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #83
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 488

I remember reading articles a few years ago that stated FIFA was giving Canada so many of its smaller competitions because they're testing the waters for a World Cup. And so far, all of the competitions have been successful.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."

Last edited by mr.x; December 18th, 2006 at 06:40 AM.
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #84
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,276
Likes (Received): 20

As an American, I love our Candian neighbors...... but will FIFA ignore all those new NFL stadiums and corporate $$ the US has ?
nyrmetros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #85
Gerardogt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,388
Likes (Received): 295

Chile ando Argentina can host the 2014 world cup too, or can be like in 2002; a world cup organized by 2 countries, in this case, can be organized by Argentina and Chile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
28 years between European tournaments? Three Americas tournaments between Euro comps? Having a laugh, aren't we?

From Soccernet...

YOKOHAMA, Dec 17 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter warned Brazil on Sunday that there were several other countries in line to host the 2014 World Cup if their bid was not up to scratch.

Brazil formally submitted a bid to FIFA for the 2014 finals this week, hoping to bring the tournament to the country for the first time since 1950.

The 2014 World Cup is scheduled to take place in South America as part of FIFA's rotation policy and Brazil's bid is expected to be the only one from the region.

But critics say only one Brazilian stadium, the Arena da Baixada in Curitiba, is in good enough condition to host a World Cup finals match.

There are also serious concerns over public safety and transport.

'There are so many countries on the starting blocks to organise a World Cup - both in that region and out of that region,' Blatter told reporters.

'I'm sure Brazil are doing everything possible to get the 2014 World Cup. We have not yet heard from the other countries in South America to see if Brazil's is not the only bid.'

Blatter said last week that if a South American bid fell short of FIFA's requirements the 2014 tournament could be 'moved north.'

But the FIFA chief even floated the idea of taking the competition back to Asia in the event of a botched bid from South America.

'We have not yet decided the rotation of the World Cup after 2014,' Blatter told reporters in Yokohama before Sunday's Club World Cup final.

'Do we say America is one continent? Because CONCACAF are a FIFA confederation too. We could even come back to Asia - though Japan and South korea hosted the 2002 World Cup.'

FIFA will announce the host of the finals next November. The next World Cup will be in South Africa in 2010.

Once again, I suspect that England and the USA's ability to host at short notice will be used to 'incentivise' a Brazilian bid.
Gerardogt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #86
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,646
Likes (Received): 21

I dont think Chile and Argentina have a better chance than Brazil...
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #87
AcesHigh
Taking On The World
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Novo Hamburgo
Posts: 26,280
Likes (Received): 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
As an American, I love our Candian neighbors...... but will FIFA ignore all those new NFL stadiums and corporate $$ the US has ?
American new soccer stadiums are low capacity. To host a World Cup match, a stadium needs at least 40 thousand seats.

As for american football stadiums, they usually have wrong pitch dimensions. The USA World Cup got strong criticism from players and federations because of the pitch grass and dimensions... (too long and not wide pitches!)
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #88
daloso
Registered User
 
daloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,939
Likes (Received): 628

I think if Brazil could not handle the WC 2014,maybe the USA will host it??
daloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #89
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,521
Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
American new soccer stadiums are low capacity. To host a World Cup match, a stadium needs at least 40 thousand seats.

As for american football stadiums, they usually have wrong pitch dimensions. The USA World Cup got strong criticism from players and federations because of the pitch grass and dimensions... (too long and not wide pitches!)
FIFA World Cup required dimensions:
105 x 68 m

University of Phoenix Stadium field:
122.8 x 71.3 m

Invesco Field(rapids playing field, doesn't include whole field tray)
106 x 68

Many US stadiums host international Friendlies and have retractable stands at the bottom of the first tier. It should also be pointed out that likely none of the World Cup '94 stadiums would be used in a 2014 World Cup.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #90
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member
 
The Game Is Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The last refuge of freedom, my mind
Posts: 1,891
Likes (Received): 1199

You have to watch what UEFA does. When push comes to shove, they don't want to face the prospect of playing against Brazil or Argentina in the final, for they would be at a big disadvantage. I can't say I agree but this is what I think they may be thinking. They may start to think that Colombia would be a choice they can live it?

Now how would Colombia work? Simple. They get billions in infrastructure funds from the EU, to build hotels, make the grounds look decent, etc.. Also, they save in travel distances, something that is a problem for Brazil. Colombia does have a problem with altitude, though.

After UEFA, the other federation to watch is CONCACAF.
__________________
Promotion and Relegation for American sports!
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #91
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
 
Pule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: JOHANNESBURG
Posts: 11,390
Likes (Received): 126

I go for Brazil for 2014, they will host a very succesfull world cup and they need to do is to build proper stadium of which I don't think it will be a problem.


SOUTH AFRICA supports Brazil 2014
__________________
SOUTH AFRICA my home, SOUTH AFRICA my love.
Pule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #92
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,246
Likes (Received): 2998

Quote:
Originally Posted by daloso View Post
I think if Brazil could not handle the WC 2014,maybe the USA will host it??
Even though as an American it would be cool to host the event again I hope Brasil could pull it off. Keeping the event away from such a large soccer passionate country just seems unfortunate. It would be real cool seeing Brasilian fans going nuts and so enthusastic all over Brasils great cities for the cup.

The US and UK will be used as a threat over such bids for awhile to come. Its a big tawdry and ugly to basically use them as a threat for countries but I guess its just the reality of the day. When the UK and US could plan and hold the event in the matter of months it gives FIFA leverage for better or worse.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #93
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,981
Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
I go for Brazil for 2014, they will host a very succesfull world cup and they need to do is to build proper stadium of which I don't think it will be a problem.


SOUTH AFRICA supports Brazil 2014
I support a Brazil World Cup, but I would also support England 2014 if Brazil want to host 2018 instead.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #94
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

I'd like Brazil to get 2014 because, if nothing else, it's insane that a nation that keeps winning the title hasn't hosted the tournament for so long.
Benjuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #95
LP
Registered User
 
LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Porto Alegre
Posts: 2,755
Likes (Received): 449

Stadiums Brazil

Mangueirão: Pará (54.600)



Maracanã: 100.000 peoples - the biggest stadium in the world




Morumbi: São Paulo (75.000)



Beira Rio - Porto Alegre (58.000)



Mineirão - Belo Horizonte (81.000)




Fonte Nova - Bahia (68.000)



Engenhão: Rio de Janeiro (Stadium Pan-American Games - 2007)

Last edited by LP; December 19th, 2006 at 09:02 PM.
LP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #96
Jonestowncultinpicto
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 0

well LP with a Estádio Olímpico João Havelange 45,000 seat modern stadium in rio for the pan am games next year with expansion provisions . Salvador is building a modern 32,000 seat Soccer Stadium which I would think would have expansion provisions and two other centres in brazil with similair plans it looks like to me that Brazil is preparing for the bid. The only south american country with so much construction of stadiums as of this year is Venezuela. Could Venezuela pull it off I dont know.

You have to also remember that 2002 Maracana was updated with a renovations that brought the capacity down. Was the primary concern with Host stadiums that there be only crowds in seats and no standing room terraces ????
Maracana by those great pictures has seemed to eliminated standing room .
To have a new stadium named after the Brazilian Native and president of Fifa from 1974 to 1998 João Havelange speaks volumes.

I am sure these stadiums and the one shown here are part of greater plans.
Jonestowncultinpicto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #97
Juanca1379
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: orlando,fl
Posts: 183
Likes (Received): 0

not yet brazil,colombia is candidate as well for 2014 between this two country fifa will choice which will host for the WC.
Juanca1379 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #98
Patasalada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 91
Likes (Received): 0

Ive heard that if SouthAmerica doesnt match the requeriments.North America has to take it right? Mexico, US, Canadá..they all have good stadiums..but Mexico has the best fans...
Patasalada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #99
3SPIRES
Registered User
 
3SPIRES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Global Britain
Posts: 421
Likes (Received): 159

The Maracana is not the biggest stadium in the world there must be about half a dozen bigger. What are the Columbian stadiums like?

Oh and terracing is not allowed in world cups.
3SPIRES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #100
Jonestowncultinpicto
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 655
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanca1379 View Post
not yet brazil,colombia is candidate as well for 2014 between this two country fifa will choice which will host for the WC.
Well considering that columbia had to give up it hosting duties to mexico after they were awarded and Brazil actually hosted in 1950 you have some history there. The safe bet would be Brazil. The only economy for stability I can think of in South America better then Brazil would be Chile. The Prospect of hosting a final in a National Stadium which the political opponents of Augusto Pinochet where gathered for torture in 1973 and some disappearing forever is a very interesting venue. Of course Fifa used the Nazi Albert Spear concieved and designed 1936 olympic stadium this year for the FIFA world cup.

Columbia would have to get on a building phase right now to catch up with Brazils contruction of new stadia. The new construction in brazil doesnt mean they will win the bid It just makes it more likely they will win a bid next year iMHO. A Brazilian politician I have read is to have said they need 12 new stadia to host. Considering a couple are under construction and renovated old er stadia have been used recently it is certainly possible they could pull it off.

Columbia's first hosting failure might be a kin to Denver Colorado biding on the winter olympics in 2018. One bitten twice shy may prevail in both cases .
Columbia and Denvers. Denver in case you dont know was awarded the 1976 winter olympics and then threw it back the IOC when the citizens rejected further funding the games.
Jonestowncultinpicto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
amazon, manaus, projetos, rio de janeiro, world cup, world cup 2014

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us