Istana Ayer Gemuruh - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Jonty

Likes (Received): 0

Istana Ayer Gemuruh

Does anyone have any information on a long-gone istana - Istana Ayer Gemuruh near Changi? I lived next door to it in the early 1960s in a military bungalow.

It was at the end of Wing Loong Road and was always known as the Sultan of Johor's summer palace. It would now be under the airport runway

Wing Loong Road ran from Upper Changi Road, south of Changi Goal, down to the beach before the airport reclamation filled it in. The nearest approximation to Wing Loong Road today is probably Changi North Street.

http://www.jonty-sexton.co.uk/digital/ayer-gemuruh2.jpg
Jonty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #2
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 53

Been trying to contact you... I wish to know more info about this Istana too. Remember anything about the palace?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Jonty

Hi Redstone

I don't remember too much at all now, except that our garden backed on to it and there was a deserted zoo in the grounds - well, at least I think that there was. I was 9 and that was many, many years ago!!!

I remember that the end of Wing Loong Road split - left and it took you past the istana, through the Kampung Ayer Gemuruh, and along the coast road that no longer exists, into Changi.

The map I posted is the only reference I can find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #4
redstone
Lurker

Sounds really interesting... too bad the 'instant urbanisation' of the 1970s destroyed most of Sg's heritage.

There's still the Istana Woodneuk, opposite the Botanic Gardens. But Woodneuk had been abandoned since the late 1980s and been ravaged by arson in 2006.

By any chance you remembered what the building itself looked like?
Old February 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Jonty

If I said that I thought it was a not-too-large two-storey white colonial building with amah's quarters in front and to the right, I might be totally wrong!!!

It was certainly in large grounds and many of the large snakes that came into our garden were from it.

As I said, it was a long time ago.

Just out of curiosity I've superimposed a 1960 map onto a Google image...

Old February 12th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #6
Maverick713

The land area and shoreline of Singapore has changed so much since the 60s. Amazing.

Don't think most of us here have seen or heard of such an Istana.
Maverick713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #7
schizoid

I have re-posted Jonty's initial request on the Singapore Heritage Mailing List (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/singaporeheritage/) which has a few really knowledgeable and well-informed members. Hopefully there will be some answers from there. Cheers.
schizoid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 109

thanks schizoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick713 View Post
The land area and shoreline of Singapore has changed so much since the 60s. Amazing.

Don't think most of us here have seen or heard of such an Istana.
yah freaking amazing....and there is currently more than enough space for another Changi Airport complex next to the current airport....
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Fairypoint

Nice old map you have there Jonty.

Cameron Hotel is still around.
The orange numbers eg 10, 11 marked the milestones from centre of town.
Somapah village (aka Mata Ikan) was also called 10 milestones and Wing Loong 11 milestones.
I am under the impression that Istana Ayer Gemuruh is also the bungalow David Marshall used to own (correct me if I'm wrong).
Fairypoint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #10
profkingsfield2004

Likes (Received): 2

Yes the Sultan of Johore had his house at Wing Loong Road, which was the second house after the left bend instead of going staight towards the beach. The first house after the bend to the left belonged to a well-known Cantonese tailor who donated land to the scouts for their boot camp in the 1920s. The British Military had their chalets next to the tailor.

After passing the sultan's house was the Malay kampung Ayer Gemuroh. Then there was a Malay school and next was a mosque up on the hill. GOing downhill again would be the Tanah Merah Camp and then the horse sanitorium followed by David Marshall's house before reaching Tanahm Merah Besar Park. After the park would be the corner of tanah Merah Besar Road and Nicoll Drive.

Hope this helps. I got some old pictures of those chalets by the sea. Send me a message and your email address.
profkingsfield2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #11
redstone
Lurker

Hello, do you have any photos of the sultan's house? Or what happened to it?
What did it look like?
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Jonty

I'd love to see the photos - as I lived in the last military MQ on the left from 1962-1964. It started life as 774B and was then renumbered to 176 Wing Loong Road. (or the other way around!)

There was a row of three MQ bungalows - all backing onto the grounds of the istana. I don't remember the tailor's house at all. In my mind I can't see where that would be.

I remember kampong and the mosque well- heard it every day!
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:55 AM   #13
spikeshamz

Likes (Received): 20

I think my parents grew up in that area. My dad used to study at the Tanah Merah school, and my grandma used to stay at Jalan Sempadan, Siglap. It is just walking distance to the beach. Siput Serawak(Anita's mum) used to stay there too. There is also a dried cuttle fish factory nearby if I am not mistaken.
spikeshamz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement