ISTANA TYERSALL | Singapore - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Architecture

Architecture architecture news, historical buildings and structures, places of worship, iconic buildings and structures, and famous architects & architecture

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 53

ISTANA TYERSALL | Singapore

A palace built by the Sultan of Johor (not sure which). The 1st istana was built in 1890s and destroyed in 1905....

Any comments about it, the design?
Any info?

Thanks in advance!
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #2
musang
abed

Likes (Received): 25

a few questions.. where is this (i mean sin or jb?) y was the first istana destroyed?

the design probably looks grand during its heydays.. but now it looks spooky la.
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #3
redstone
Lurker

Singapore, beside Botanic Gardens. Only a 5mins drive from Orchard Road.

It looks even more scary now..
The estate had since overgrown. The palace in a dilapidated state. But recently the estate is being cleared filled with soil....

Can anyone tell when it was built?
It looks kinda modern-ish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #4
redstone
Lurker

The original Istana built on the site by Sultan Abu Bakar was destroyed by fire. Electrical problem.
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #5
redstone
Lurker

About the origins of the estate, and the old Tyersall Istana:

"In March 1857, Boustead and Co. advertised for sale, Tyersall, William Napier’s estate and house in the Tanglin area which covered sixty-seven acres of land.William Napier retired from the East in 1857 after a distinguished career. Napier Road is named after him and the road led to his house and his estate, Tyersall, which was built in 1854 and later replaced by New Tyersall (or Istana Tyersall), the Sultan Abu Bakar of Johor’'s (1831-1895) palatial Singapore residence.

Sometime in 1860, the property was purchased by Sultan Abu Bakar of Johor, grandson of Temenggung Abdul Rahman who had negotiated with Raffles the Singapore in 1819. Napier’s house was demolished to make way for the construction of New Tyersall in 1890.

The house was completed in 1892, and the Sultan held such a grand housewarming reception that the Singapore Free Press provided details of the architecture and fittings of the house. The rectangular building measured 210 feet long by 174 feet deep, was in the “Corinthian style of architecture… with a red tiled roof” and a seventy-feet high tower in the center topped by the Sultan’s symbolic star and crescent.

Among its key features were a spacious projected carriage porch, a grand staircase with ornamental iron balustrades, a grand reception room, a ball room, a billiard room -- and it was fitted with electric light. The installation of electricity was hailed by the Free Press as indicative of an improvement of “domestic civilization, and a marked step in the industrial progress of the Colony.” Interior-wise, the fanlights were Arabsque in design, the wood used was teak and ironwood and the building had altogether 420 doors.

New Tyersall, according to Lee Kip Lin, architect and author of The Singapore House, was one of the grandest homes built in the Victorian Eclectic idiom, combining not only gothic and classical motifs, but also some Indo-Saracenic elements into the design. In his welcoming speech, Sultan Abu Bakar announced the plans for the house had been approved by his late wife, the Sultana, and executed by the Malay architect, Datoh Yayah. Typically Singaporean, New Tyersall had a cosmopolitan character. The iron-work had been carried out mainly by the local engineering firm of Howarth Erskine,74 and some portion of it by H.C. Hogan, the contractor was Mr. Wong Ah Fook from Johore, and the upholstery was provided by John Little and Co., the “finest Store East of Suez.” Once home to drag hunts until the sultry weather outdid the imported English hounds, New Tyersall was destroyed by a fire reported at 2:45 am on September 10th, 1905. The cause of the fire was faulty electrical wiring."
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #6
argory

Likes (Received): 130

The style of the columns which hold up the porch might give the clue of its date. They look strangely familiar but I can’t recall which other buildings had similar porches. Just a guess, but could it be as late as the 50s?
argory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #7
redstone
Lurker

Some architectural details

Ornamental ventilation holes.

^These things were found inside the palace, beside the porch entrance.

^Second floor, looking towards grand staircase.

Old August 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #8
argory

I was checking some books and there was a picture of the Istana. It’s labeled as “Woodneuk, Singapore” under the heading of ‘Palaces of the Sultan’. But I think its much earlier than the 50’s since the publication itself was in 1939.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #9
redstone
Lurker

Anymore info???
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #10
argory

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
Anymore info???
Not at the moment la. You could always try the archives at Singapore or JB.
Btw, the interior looks good…is it being preserved/ rehabilitated?
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #11
redstone
Lurker

I searched Sg's National Archives portal. All it brings out are 'older' pics from the 1980s.

I remember seeing a 'restricted area' signboard manyy years ago.

Sadly I don't think it is preserved...
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #12
redstone
Lurker

Anyone out there?
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #13
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 29

haven't heard about it.

it looks like a bungalow. too bad it is not restored

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #14
AFL

Likes (Received): 329

that palace reminds me the famous old palace in johor bahru (which is now converted into a museum) where the rooftop really is the same (its blue) and the architecture really has similarity...
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 02:04 AM   #15
redstone
Lurker

Ooo...

A clue to Tyersall's history?
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #16
argory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFL
that palace reminds me the famous old palace in johor bahru (which is now converted into a museum) where the rooftop really is the same (its blue) and the architecture really has similarity...
Is it the Abu Bakar Royal Museum (the former Istana Besar)that you're referring to? That palace is actually very grand and elaborate and built way back in 1866! Apart from the roof, I don’t really see any similarities.

Pictures of the Istana Besar: ~Beautiful Anglo-Malay architecture~

From the net - http://people.zeelandnet.nl/lnoens/jb.htm

I took this picture some time back
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #17
AFL

Likes (Received): 329

right, i was a kid back then when i visited the place...
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #18
musang
abed

pardon if i missed stg here, but Tyersall refers to a person's name?
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #19
musang
abed

has this got anything to do with the history of the bungalow's name? btw, the (Tyresall) hse (as it was formerly known esp during the Jap's Occupation) is still owned by the Sultan of Johore kan?

(20) Charles Richard Thornton (c1700)
(18) Unknown Thornton (19) John Thornton
Of Preston, Lancashire, gentleman, the only son and heir of John Thornton, late of Preston, esq. He died in 1738. Giles Thornton-Heysham succeeded to his estates as his cousin.

The earlier ancestry of Edmund Thornton's line may be derived from Jane's coat of arms, as displayed on her tomb at the church at St. Paul's Walden. I only have a fragment of the description from the UK archives. They were "a chevron . . . between three trefoils [a leaf with three pear-shaped lobes] slipt [with a stalk] . . ." The ellipses are in the original. I think what has been left out were the tinctures, the colors, that could not be discerned because the recorders were describing a stone carving. I think we can "assume" those colors were the standard for a Thornton. That is, argent for the shield, sable for the chevron, and proper, that is green, for the leaves.

The arms of the Thornton family of Yorkshire and Norfolk [of Some, co. Cambridge; Windham, co. Norfolk; and co. York; Birkin, co. York; Scarborough, co. York; Clapham, Surrey] were argent a sable chevron between three hawthorn trees proper. The use of the thorn trees, obviously a play on the Thornton name, make this what is called in heraldry a "canting coat." Other Thornton families of the region make variations on this original:

- Hawthorn bushes in place of trees and a trefoil slipped or [gold] on the chevron for the Thornton family of Tiersall [Tyresall, Tyersal], near Bradford, Yorkshire. See Thornton of Tiersall for a short descent.
Old August 13th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #20
redstone
Lurker

I don't think so.... Tyersall was the name of Napier's house and estate grounds.

In the past, some houses of the rich used to have their own names. Like Fairyland, Mandalay, Bendemeer...

A few of such houses still exist here. Like Tilton, a mansion near Botanic Gardens a short distance from Tyersall Istana.

When the Abu Bakar built his first palace, he used the old name, 'Tyersall'. The new house was completed in 1892 but destroyed in 1905. The name was 'New Tyersall' or 'Istana Tyersall'....

As for this newer palace, I only heard that it was built in the 1930s and nothing else. Why was it abandoned?
It has a very strange style of design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement