Princess Elizabeth Estate - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #1
ScaniaLuver

Likes (Received): 1

Princess Elizabeth Estate

Hi guys! Does anyone have info about the Princess Elizabeth estate? I rmbr its located at Hillview. Then, is Princess Elizabeth estate also known as Hillview HDBs? It will be good if anyone has any pics of the Princess Elizabeth estate.
ScaniaLuver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #2
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 53

At Hillview Avenue at the small roundabout?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #3
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 109

Are the HDB flats still around?

I've noticed that the early HDB estates were all named with regards to British monarchy - Queenstown, Commonwealth, Prince etc, Princess etc
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4
ScaniaLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity View Post
Are the HDB flats still around?

I've noticed that the early HDB estates were all named with regards to British monarchy - Queenstown, Commonwealth, Prince etc, Princess etc
No. All the HDBs (including the newer HDBs and Princess Elizabeth estate.) were torn down. I once lived at Hillview Ave, NOT Princess Elizabeth estate. Infact i think i witnessed the demolition of the Princess Elizabeth Estate! I remember theres one high rise near to Hillview HDB being torn down with the use of wrecking ball. The whole block just collapsed. I also remember seeing a sofa falling off the building when the wrecking ball struck the building. All of us, the kindergarten kids , were looking at the wrecking ball smashing at the apartment. Kinda sad for me ( thats because i witnessed the demolition when i was in kindergarten, at the former Bukit Gombak CC).
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #5
ScaniaLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
At Hillview Avenue at the small roundabout?
I dont think thats Princess Elizabeth Estate, thats Hillview HDB , which was since torn down in leu of the SERS project. I did remember seeing a hi-rise building, which was a residential apartment being torn down with the use of wreckng ball. I suspect thats part of Princess Elizabeth Estate . I think the Princess Elizabeth estate was built by the SIT, which was mentioned by someone, but i dont know if it was true or not.. If so, then i think the hi-rise apartment belongs to the Princess Elizabeth Estate ( not to be confused with the newer Hillview HDBs, which werent built by the SIT and were not demolished by wrecking ball.) DARN! If only i was 17 when the building was torn down, i would have gotten a pic of the demolition. =(

Come to remember the building design, it kinda looks like a hi-rise built by the SIT.
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #6
profkingsfield2004

Likes (Received): 2

From my childhood memories of the early 1960s,

1. The only remaining thing that was associated with Princess Elizabeth estate is the present roundabout after the railway bridge. There was a Union Carbide factory next to the railyway bridge. The second car assembly plant which was opened in 1971 was located in HIllview Avenue - Cycle & Carriage assembled the Mercedes 200 passenger car model and commercial buses for the SBS. Lam Soon fad its factory here (after moving out of Jalan Jurong Kechil) and is now a condo. The only private landed estate was at Jalan Dermawan (built in the early 1960s).

2. There was a Princess Elizabeth School in the estate, the architecture is similar to the remporary home of Chestnut Drive Infant Jesus at Jalan Jurong Kechil.

3. # 5 Green Bus Company (late renumbered as #173 to SGH bus terminus) ply from the estate to Queen Street (in front of Rochore Center)

4. The flats were built by the British SIT authorities before 1959 and were for rental and not for sale. So it was easy for the HDB to ask the tenants to vacate their premises. The flats were located on the present empty piece of land in front of the roundabout.

5. Hillview Avenue in those days refer to the stretch of road from the roundabout to where it now meets old Jurong Road. The road from the Chartered Bank to the roundabout was called Princess Elizabeth Road and not Hillview Avenue as in today. There was no road from the roundabout to Gombak then.
profkingsfield2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #7
ScaniaLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by profkingsfield2004 View Post
From my childhood memories of the early 1960s,

1. The only remaining thing that was associated with Princess Elizabeth estate is the present roundabout after the railway bridge. There was a Union Carbide factory next to the railyway bridge. The second car assembly plant which was opened in 1971 was located in HIllview Avenue - Cycle & Carriage assembled the Mercedes 200 passenger car model and commercial buses for the SBS. Lam Soon fad its factory here (after moving out of Jalan Jurong Kechil) and is now a condo. The only private landed estate was at Jalan Dermawan (built in the early 1960s).
There's also a Castrol oil factory beside the roundabout right? Now, the area currently stood the present condo. Also, did the Union Carbide factory caught fire before? Or was it other factory nearby? I did remember there's a fire that broke out.
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #8
redstone
Lurker

Which roundabout are you talking about?

The roundabout I ment is after the railway tracks, in front of the old Hillview HDB estate (now demolished).
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #9
ScaniaLuver

Quote:
Which roundabout are you talking about?

The roundabout I ment is after the railway tracks, in front of the old Hillview HDB estate (now demolished).

Ya! THats the one ! There's a condo site beside it right? The one fully white in colour? Thats the place where the Castrol oil (or whatever oil company, but i rmbr clearly its Castrol .) factory used to stand . I've witnessed its demolition, thats when i begin to like demolition.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #10
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaniaLuver View Post
Ya! THats the one ! There's a condo site beside it right? The one fully white in colour? Thats the place where the Castrol oil (or whatever oil company, but i rmbr clearly its Castrol .) factory used to stand . I've witnessed its demolition, thats when i begin to like demolition.
Yup! That roundabout! Haha... Remembered the small railway bridge, and the huge Hillview estate, the biggest SERS project.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #11
profkingsfield2004

Likes (Received): 2

what is left?

Before further demolition takes place, better take the picture of the Chartered bank branch at Hillview fast. There used to be a large garden in front of the branch facing the overhead bridge but the widening of Upper Bukit Timah Road has taken about 1/2 its land away. The bank was opened in 1951 I believe.

The railway bridge was built around 1928.

Which year was the fire at Hillview? I left my house in 1979. Actually if anyone of you should want to see those 1 storey landed properties built in the 1950s, go down to Chestnut Close. There is one such property at the end of the road.

Quote:
Yup! That roundabout! Haha... Remembered the small railway bridge, and the huge Hillview estate, the biggest SERS project.
profkingsfield2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #12
ScaniaLuver

Quote:
Lol Biggest indeed. 16 blocks ordered to be torn down. But its kinda amazing that Hillview HDB was even bigger than Outram HDB.

With regards to the much older hi-rise that was torn down with a wrecking ball, not to be confused with Hillview HDB,it was the only hi-rise to be demolished with wrecking ball witnessed by me. All the SERS HDB demolition that i witnessed was torn down using excavator, due to the effectiveness of the machines and that wrecking ball produces alot of dust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement