One Heritage Tower | Greengate | 173m | 55 fl | Pro - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2019, 01:12 PM   #161
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)

Likes (Received): 22675

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyred619 View Post
There was a version inbetween the the twin towers and the the single tower with a turbine. It was a bronze/brown effort with a funny white crown. Got everyone going back in the day! But Bashar Issar was just a chancer that got found out.
I always liked this one. It looked a bit classic Ian Simpson (before the recession) when they were producing EVERYTHING with checkerboard coloured cladding. Who remembers West Properties (Owen Street, Sharp Street, Renaissance, Origin (Manchester New Square)). They had massive ideas but nothing ever happened.

dirtyred619 liked this post
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #162
Keith_Andrew

Likes (Received): 4157

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Thanks for the comments Brickie.

It is true that I would expect to like living in Ancoats or New Islington, and would never want to live in Greengate (the bits beyond the railway line) in their current form. So maybe I am not one to judge.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who does live in Abito or One Greengate; or who intends to move into Residence etc. Is this form of residential provision in self-sufficient towers something that they aspire to; or would they rather live in the the Ancoats environment where with a higher provision of facilities accessible from the street; and a higher degree of penetration of residential areas for street users?

My fear for Greengate is that it is packaging a product that suits investors; but not consumers; you might summarise this as 'The Green Quarter with taller towers". Over the years we have had a number of posters who have been Green Qaurter residents; and the consistent story from them was that they were looking to move to somewhere with a great deal more accessible social provision and street-life, as quickly as possible. I note that the Green Quarter promotional literature now highlights Sadlers Yard as being (in some way) a Green Quarter resource. Which is a bit desparate.

Posters have pointed out that the proposals One Heritage tower, and the Gorton Street tower, both have nice aspirations for provision of social facilities and attractions; but these are both still in the early stages of planning; we really ought to be seeing accessible social provision associated with already committed schemes.

Plus it is bizarre in the extreme to say that "There were very few building of merit worth saving in Greengate"; when the Collier Street Baths represent one of the half dozen finest historic structures in Salford. There is much more of value along Blackfriars. Certainly, compared to Deansgate Square, Greengate would appear to have vastly more advantages in heritage structures and propinquity to the historic centre. it is a pity (to me) that the current range of tower proposals seem to pay no attention to this heritage and accessibility. My view being that, if they did, they would find this increased the attractiveness of their schemes for a wider range of customers.
The reason Ancoats and New Islington have developed their own bars/restaurants is because they're both quite a walk from the city centre.

Within about 4 minutes from Greengate, you're in Exchange Square.

http://keithandrew.media/

makram liked this post
Keith_Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 04:59 PM   #163
nerd

Likes (Received): 2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Andrew View Post
The reason Ancoats and New Islington have developed their own bars/restaurants is because they're both quite a walk from the city centre.

Within about 4 minutes from Greengate, you're in Exchange Square.
Reasonable point KA in respect of some facilities; but from Anaconda Cut (say) it is 500 metres (and a whole lot of railway viaduct) to get to Exchange Square.

I was wandering around Deansgate Square today; you could similarly propose that residents would readily be able to get to Deansgate Locks and Liverpool Street. But there are also extensive social facilities under construction in the podium below the four tall towers; with a public entrance (at least so far as a I can see) from the riverside walkway and public terraces.

So instead of each tower having its own little gym, swimming pool, library, lounge facilities, BBQ areas, whatever) there are common facilities (larger, and presumably much more lavishly equipped) in a publicly accessible block; with shopping, recreational and other units. I am assuming (I suppose) that members of the public and residents of other parts of the Great Jackson Street areas will also be able to pay their subs and use the facilities.

The crazy part is that in pretty much the same relation of the Deansgate Square podium block to the four Deansgate towers, we have in Greengate the rotting shell of Collier Street baths. So each of the five towers (Anaconda Cut, Residence, One Heritage, One Greengate, Gorton Street) is planning its own cramped facilities behind locked gates, when the perfect structure for common facilities (which it itself a historic swimming bath and recreational centre) is only few yards away.

Last edited by nerd; September 13th, 2019 at 05:07 PM.
nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:06 PM   #164
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)

Quote:
Reasonable point KA in respect of some facilities; but from Anaconda Cut (say) it is 500 metres (and a whole lot of railway viaduct) to get to Exchange Square.

I was wandering around Deansgate Square today; you could similarly propose that residents would readily be able to get to Deansgate Locks and Liverpool Street. But there are also extensive social facilities under construction in the podium below the four tall towers; with a public entrance (at least so far as a I can see) from the riverside walkway and public terraces.

So instead of each tower having its own little gym, swimming pool, library, lounge facilities, BBQ areas, whatever) there are common facilities (larger, and presumably much more lavishly equipped) in a publicly accessible block; with shopping, recreational and other units. I am assuming (I suppose) that members of the public and residents of other parts of the Great Jackson Street area will also be able to pay their subs and use the facilities.

The crazy part is that in pretty much the same relation of the Deansgate Square podium block to the four Deansgate towers, we have in Greengate the rotting shell of Collier Street baths. So each of the five towers (Anaconda Cut, Residence, One Heritage, One Greengate, Gorton Street) is planning its own cramped facilities behind locked gates, when the perfect structure for common facilities (which it itself a historic swimming bath and recreational centre) is only few yards away.
The podium at Deansgate Square will not be available for the public. This is purely for residents. The thing with DS is the four towers are one development. Elizabeth Tower has it's own amenities and will not share those in the podium at DS. The towers at Greengate are all individual hence separate amenities.

I don't think you are quite getting the amenities aspect for those who live in the apartments. You strike me as one of the people who live in Salford (I spoke to someone similar at the 1 Heritage consultation) or on the outskirts who expects amenities that are part of the development to be available for public and that just isn't the case, nor should it be. As has been mentioned numerous times by myself and others, commercial units will be available in proposed developments for use by the public. What they become is up to the developer.

Last edited by AJD1984; September 13th, 2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:14 PM   #165
nerd

Likes (Received): 2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post
The podium at Deansgate Square will not be available for the public. This is purely for residents.

I don't think you are quite getting the amenities aspect for those who live in the apartments. You strike me as one of the people who live in Salford (I spoke to someone similar at the 1 Heritage consultation) or on the outskirts who expects amenities that are part of the development to be available for public and that just isn't the case, nor should it be. As has been mentioned numerous times by myself and others, commercial units will be available in proposed developments for use by the public. What they become is up to the developer.
from the website:

Quote:
The public benefits too from cafés and restaurants and new pedestrian links via new public spaces at the base of each tower and immediately adjacent to the River Medlock.
so certainly the rivierside walk and terraces will be publicly accessible; as too the restaurants and bars in the podium block.

And does it say that non-residents of the four towers will not be able to subscribe to membership of the gym and swimming pool?

Schooner liked this post
nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:17 PM   #166
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)

Quote:
from the website:

so certainly the rivierside walk and terraces will be publicly accessible; as too the restaurants and bars in the podium block.

But does it say that non-residents of the four towers will not be able to subscribe to the gym and swimming pool?
Indeed restaurants and bars are accessible to the public but the podium itself (which is the point you were making) contains a pool, spa, rooftop terrace, bbq etc and these are NOT available for public use. Having viewed an apartment there I was assured it's for residents only. And should be.
Old September 13th, 2019, 08:02 PM   #167
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 878

Nice to see a post from you Potato Man... Hope your well m8.. Manchester has come on a storm since those early days before the Edge and NV buildings were proposed... Wonder if Northbeach n mancfan still lurk or post under new names... Own up fellas - we should have a pint sometime

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz

Potato Man, jrb, markydeedrop liked this post
man med está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #168
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 53111

Quote:
Originally Posted by man med View Post
Nice to see a post from you Potato Man... Hope your well m8.. Manchester has come on a storm since those early days before the Edge and NV buildings were proposed... Wonder if Northbeach n mancfan still lurk or post under new names... Own up fellas - we should have a pint sometime
Concur.

Nice to see Potato Man posting again. Been a long time.

Potato Man, man med, markydeedrop liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #169
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 878

You weren't far behind Jrb - next time there's a meet up we all need a pint or 5

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 01:15 PM   #170
TorATD

Likes (Received): 325

I was reading over on the Toronto forums complaints about towers being value engineered and ending up looking boxy. Toronto is the best city in the world imo but they even get design changes to the proposals. Salford will do well to get this as pictured, hope it does though.
TorATD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 01:59 PM   #171
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)

Everywhere gets design changes and value engineered designs. Some are for the better others aren't. Manchester New Sq got value engineered for the better imo others feel it was the wrong choice.
Old September 16th, 2019, 02:04 PM   #172
JBGee

Likes (Received): 2201

Transparent glass, opaque glass, vent windows...

No different to Anaconda Cut really.
Don’t see any reason why this cant work as it is.

Farsight liked this post
JBGee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 02:52 PM   #173
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGee View Post
Transparent glass, opaque glass, vent windows...

No different to Anaconda Cut really.
Don’t see any reason why this cant work as it is.
Thats what the architect said. It references Anaconda Cut however, with AC the panels are angled within the glass presenting a flat surface. This tower will have angled glass panels like a diamond. #ShineBrightLikeADiamond

JBGee, Farsight liked this post
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:05 PM   #174
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Likes (Received): 1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
SSC was only set up in September 2002 so that's a pretty good stint from Chogmook!
Only in its current vBulletin form. That launched on September 11th 2002 and I created my new profile the next day, because I could no longer access the old version. I seem to recall first joining in September 2001 - not long after 9/11, which is what led me to find the site in the first place. I can't remember which (if any) of the other forumers were on prior to vBulletin, but I'd guess a few of those with join dates in September 2002 were forced to create new profiles on the new platform like I was.

Jan explains it here

Sorry to go off topic!

Last edited by Priscilla QOTD; September 16th, 2019 at 07:50 PM.
Priscilla QOTD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:20 AM   #175
AD193

Likes (Received): 13

Absolutely love it - a bit of character. About time we had something that wasn't a bland SimpsonHaugh rectangular tower that has taken over the city.
AD193 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement