ASCENT MKE | 23 FL | ~260' | SITE PREP - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2020, 01:32 AM   #61
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 6276

This is great. But what's going on with the 7 story office building they want to build on Plankinton?

Unusual timber office building proposed for downtown Milwaukee's riverfront is redesigned, cutting costs

Iburytheliving liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2020, 02:58 PM   #62
atjacobmajor
KBT Resident & MKE Native

Likes (Received): 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
This is great. But what's going on with the 7 story office building they want to build on Plankinton?

Unusual timber office building proposed for downtown Milwaukee's riverfront is redesigned, cutting costs

Nothing, just a slight change in the façade. Some people prefer it others don't and I'm not sure where I stand.
Old January 8th, 2020, 04:11 PM   #63
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjacobmajor View Post
Nothing, just a slight change in the façade. Some people prefer it others don't and I'm not sure where I stand.
Anybody know how far along/close to construction that one is?
Old January 8th, 2020, 04:12 PM   #64
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 5059

I'd have to imagine if the Ascent gets built (I'm never sure until funding is secured...), and is a success that we'll start seeing a lot more mass timber projects. If its more sustainable, cheaper, and helps put Milwaukee on the map - I'm all for it.
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 04:21 PM   #65
APieceOfToast

Likes (Received): 21

delete

Last edited by APieceOfToast; January 9th, 2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: delete
APieceOfToast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:24 PM   #66
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 5059

Not sure what the point is of your post. If Milwaukee helps pioneer and popularize a new construction technique, that is important. And if the Ascent is a test case for a 20+ skyscraper, perhaps some there are some biz dev opportunities here for companies to become leaders in the technique. I'm interested new techniques and materials in this as we're increasingly going to face traditional constructional material shortages (such as sand for concrete and glass) around the world.

OliverDP liked this post
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:36 PM   #67
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 5830

Quote:
Originally Posted by APieceOfToast View Post
This feels like grabbing at strings, anything to make us feel super important. I think we all want to do that.
Or following basic economic principals...

New product introduced to market > market proves it out > if popular and cost effective, growth for demand of that product is realized. Considering this product also aligns well with a pro-environmentalism age, that's not grabbing at strings.

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:54 PM   #68
brewcitymilwaukee

Likes (Received): 1804

ASCENT MKE | 23 FL | ~260' | SITE PREP

As a structural engineer, I know how to design mass timber about as much as anyone on this forum does. I know lots of other structural engineers who work for tons of companies and non of them know how too.

So if we are one of the first places in the world to obtain this knowledge from engineers to contractors, that’s a huge deal. It means that our firms get contracts for other buildings around the world for the foreseeable future and we have people who can teach this knowledge to other local people.
brewcitymilwaukee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 11:56 PM   #69
APieceOfToast

Likes (Received): 21

Apologies, I wasn't thinking in the game of chess.

hailmike, MKERevival, pcl90 liked this post
APieceOfToast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 11:02 PM   #70
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Likes (Received): 786

Site has a fence around it and pilings are going in. Looks like serious work is starting.
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:15 AM   #71
we the people

Likes (Received): 14

This is a great project for MKE. It will bring more density to downtown and support more businesses. Hopefully it will also prove that Milwaukee can support many more residential high rises.
we the people no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 03:31 PM   #72
dtloken

Likes (Received): 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbaiter View Post
Site has a fence around it and pilings are going in. Looks like serious work is starting.
Parts of Edwardo's are already demoed on the back side of the building from the looks of it.

Crankbaiter liked this post
dtloken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:04 PM   #73
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 2071

Thought I would post a picture of what this project is. Did not see one on the thread.

jehuty, AGundy, embora, gobrewers liked this post
Boatnurd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:44 PM   #74
Boatnurd

I am shocked that we have not heard anyone whining about losing their lake view in the Yankee Hill Tower south. Thought this would have made the news but thankfully crickets as far as I could tell. Take a look at the picture I just posted. Those facing the east side of the tower will be staring at the Ascent. This is where a good pair of urban binoculars come in handy to share hand signals with the neighbor across the street and 15+ stories in the air.
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:40 PM   #75
WisBearcat

Likes (Received): 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
I am shocked that we have not heard anyone whining about losing their lake view in the Yankee Hill Tower south. Thought this would have made the news but thankfully crickets as far as I could tell. Take a look at the picture I just posted. Those facing the east side of the tower will be staring at the Ascent. This is where a good pair of urban binoculars come in handy to share hand signals with the neighbor across the street and 15+ stories in the air.
Yankee Hill is apartments, so not as much pull as condos. Still a little surprised that the owners haven't said anything, but that being said its not like its going to affect lease rates that much.
WisBearcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:09 PM   #76
jehuty

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Thought I would post a picture of what this project is. Did not see one on the thread.

That rendering shows so much that another tower belongs across the street on Van buren and Kilbourn. Then imagine the Masonic Hotel going up and mid rises being developed on all the open lots on the wells/cass/marshall streets. it'd completely transform the Skyline. One can dream.

I really do hope this project lights a fire in other developers to compete in leaving their own mark in Milwaukee. If new land can do it, there is no reason other developers should not be getting their project off the ground cough* barrett lo *cough.
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:59 PM   #77
Boatnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilArch View Post

It will be great to see this tower rise here with all of these other towers being so close. Even better if the Masonic hotel gets built to the south too. Everywhere you walked you would have a tower close to you in this area.
Thought I would comment on this post by MilArch to get this picture re-posted. He properly portrays what this area at street level would look like.
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:10 PM   #78
hailmike

Likes (Received): 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehuty View Post
I really do hope this project lights a fire in other developers to compete in leaving their own mark in Milwaukee. If new land can do it, there is no reason other developers should not be getting their project off the ground cough* barrett lo *cough.
I'm actually more excited to see NLE pull this off than anything. They have really stepped up their projects as of late. I follow Tim Gokhman on twitter, and I think he gets it. Assuming this work out, I'm looking forward to their future projects.

jehuty, thedudetheguytheman, jlf8532 liked this post
hailmike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:57 PM   #79
dtloken

Likes (Received): 1156

Quote:
Thought I would comment on this post by MilArch to get this picture re-posted. He properly portrays what this area at street level would look like.
It’s going dramatically change the feel of that spot, I used to live a block from that corner and I’d say that Van Buren between State and Michigan is just about the most unpleasant, dead street downtown. I’m really curious what we’ll see for retail tenants in this building.

MKE-bound liked this post
dtloken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 11:22 PM   #80
thedudetheguytheman

Likes (Received): 62

https://onmilwaukee.com/market/artic...ss-timber.html

I don't think there is any new information per se, but I found this article interesting for some discussion from Tim Gokhman about this project and the smaller officer tower on the river.

brewcitymilwaukee liked this post
thedudetheguytheman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement