The roadside rest area - Page 2231 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2020, 12:38 PM   #44601
MacOlej

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
The huge problem is overpopulation. To cope with this you need to tackle the birth rate. To do so, you need to have a developed society. And to achieve this state you, sadly, need the inventions she hates.

It is normal phase in demography, part of the demography transition process. In one state the natality is high due to traditions yet the infant mortality is resolved due to development. A good example is Nigeria.
On the other hand, developed countries pollute more per capita than underdeveloped countries. So while I agree with you that overpopulation is indeed a problem, simply letting the poor get rich will not solve the climate change issue.
MacOlej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2020, 01:52 PM   #44602
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5817

There is overpopulation in developed countries as well. We could live the way we do, if there were far less of us.

Attus liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 05:49 PM   #44603
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is a major vulnerability in Citrix, which is used in many businesses and governments to facilitate remote working. As a patch has not yet been released, the Dutch cyber security center has recommended to deactivate Citrix as the vulnerability was actively exploited.

So they expect a busier rush hour than normal tomorrow, as people are not able to work from home.
"The more that they overdesign the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Mike
mgk920 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 07:58 PM   #44604
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 2296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOlej View Post
On the other hand, developed countries pollute more per capita than underdeveloped countries. So while I agree with you that overpopulation is indeed a problem, simply letting the poor get rich will not solve the climate change issue.
It is not contradictory to what I have said. The poor will get rich (I would rather say "developed") anyway.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 10:35 PM   #44605
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 11253

Citrix is a company, which delivers multiple IT products, but the most popular ones are probably the virtualization solutions. It works in such a way that a company maintains a cluster of hardware servers, on which one can set up any (well, there are limitations, but it's not like the number of physical servers in the cluster = the number of virtual servers running, it's not directly related) number of virtual machines. The main competitors of Citrix are VMWare and Microsoft with their Hyper-V.

So "deactivating Citrix" would in most cases mean taking down all or most of the company's servers, which is obviously not an option.

Actually, it seems, the security issues are with two components of the Citrix ecosystem: Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway. The first one, from what I read, is basically, a kind of a load balancer (a more advanced one), so a solution used, basically, to distribute the network traffic between multiple servers – the latter is a remote access gateway, so it might indeed make sense to disable it if the employees don't necessarily have to work from home.

But the vulnerabilities are known already for over a week and from what it seems, they are being exploited by black hat hackers all the time. So if there was supposed to be busier traffic in the rush hour – it rather has already happened.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #44606
ChrisZwolle
multi-modal traveler

Likes (Received): 27778

Bitter cold in Miami:

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #44607
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 2296

I have just successfully passed the exam for driver's license: group D1 & D. I am a bus driver since today

The written test was a little bit tricky (27 questions and only one mistake is possible except for intersections, which have to be flawless). The drive itself was okay, almost no 90° turns, just one roundabout.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
highways, motorways