MILWAUKEE | Development News - Page 2118 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2019, 11:35 PM   #42341
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Likes (Received): 4635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Milwaukee View Post
Why/how on earth do they still have an extremely outdated backdrop of Milwaukeeís skyline??
Because the JS is dying a slow and ugly death.

They might as well use this photo:
MilwaukeeMax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #42342
brewcitymilwaukee

Likes (Received): 1670

MILWAUKEE | Development News

Iím not sure if the US bank building makes that picture worse or better. On one hand it adds a high rise to that picture but on the other hand there is a single high rise in that picture.
brewcitymilwaukee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 09:19 PM   #42343
wndrlst

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMax View Post

This photo should make us all feel incredibly happy for how far Milwaukee has come

MKERevival liked this post
wndrlst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 12:30 AM   #42344
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1572

We Energies substation at heart of new apartment building nears completion
https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2019/11/0...the-third-wad/

Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
My Flickr Photos
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 09:49 PM   #42345
ThatGuy

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymilwaukee View Post
Something big is happening with light the Hoan. I keep hearing snippets of conversations here and there and apparently people are flying in from all over the country next week for some event. I also heard some National company gave them money that only have a small presence in Milwaukee but have increased a bit in the last few years.

Donít know much more but itís not really my place to say anymore even if I did.
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...after-1-2.html
Old November 11th, 2019, 10:20 PM   #42346
brewcitymilwaukee

MILWAUKEE | Development News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post

I did hear that there were a few local people with a lot of money who gave to the project and then a company was also named that gave money. So I assumed the company was the big thing getting announced this week and not just donors. The article said they are negotiating naming rights now so maybe thatís further along then they lead on or someone blabbed about one of the companies bidding on naming rights too early because it stuck out to them. Iím sure the company I heard would want the naming rights because it wasnít a local company like NWM that does things to attract people to the area. Itís a company that would want national/international attention.

Last edited by brewcitymilwaukee; November 11th, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM   #42347
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMax View Post

I'm thinking this picture dates back to before 2004. Why? Because if my memory serves me correctly, the Kilbourn Tower wasn't even under construction yet when this was taken. The Kilbourn Tower was completed in 2005, and you figure 1-1/2 years to develop it. Vintage late 1990s, perhaps.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM   #42348
SidewalkMD

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
I'm thinking this picture dates back to before 2004. Why? Because if my memory serves me correctly, the Kilbourn Tower wasn't even under construction yet when this was taken. The Kilbourn Tower was completed in 2005, and you figure 1-1/2 years to develop it. Vintage late 1990s, perhaps.
Another giveaway is that the Calatrava isn't there yet, nor can I see construction equipment for it, and that was finished in 2001.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM   #42349
Toodles1980

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkMD View Post
Another giveaway is that the Calatrava isn't there yet, nor can I see construction equipment for it, and that was finished in 2001.
Also there are no signs on the US Bank Building, and I believe Firstar initially put those on in 1999, so definitely late 90s

eaglesfant37 liked this post
Toodles1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #42350
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodles1980 View Post
Also there are no signs on the US Bank Building, and I believe Firstar initially put those on in 1999, so definitely late 90s
Mid-90s, actually, but you’re close. It’s a picture Andy Tarnoff posted on a piece he did years ago in OnMilwaukee of photos of the city from that decade.

This is how Milwaukee looked for me when I was a university student. There was very little construction during that decade until the turn of the millennium sparked a new era of development, seeing the calatrava being built, Miller Park, the Kilbourn and university club towers, the public market and then a domino effect of countless new condo and apartment constructions.

We complain today about a slow down in developments, but most of the 90s saw almost nothing cool get built.

(The convention center was built in the 90s, and heralded as the “crown jewel” of downtown at the time, and it’s certainly better then the old white VCR-shaped MECCA convention center, but I think/hope it would be built more thoughtfully today)
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #42351
brewcitymilwaukee

I think a big one you missed is the deep tunnel project. You could argue that Milwaukeeís development boom can be traced back to Ď94 when the deep tunnel project was finished and that stopped sewage from flowing onto city streets 70+ days a year now itís down to once or twice a year and in minimal areas when it happens. It made the city way more livable and made our water ways accessible for recreation.

If Chicago never sued us I donít think we would be where we are.
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #42352
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Quote:
I think a big one you missed is the deep tunnel project. You could argue that Milwaukeeís development boom can be traced back to Ď94 when the deep tunnel project was finished and that stopped sewage from flowing onto city streets 70+ days a year now itís down to once or twice a year and in minimal areas when it happens. It made the city way more livable and made our water ways accessible for recreation.

If Chicago never sued us I donít think we would be where we are.
I guess I consider the deep tunnel project more of an 80s project, because thatís when it was planned and got going.
The 80s had plenty of construction going on - I can remember watching the 100 East going up and the skeleton of its crown visible from 794, and I remember the Milwaukee Center going up at around the same time...
MilwaukeeMax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:12 AM   #42353
brewcitymilwaukee

Iíve actually been meaning to ask all the old-timers who can remember. How does our current development development boom compare to the one in the late 80s? Specifically around downtown.
Old Today, 05:53 AM   #42354
dtloken

Likes (Received): 1024

Wow, completely out of left field:

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2019/11/1...town-building/

Now we just need to work down on demoing every parking garage on Michigan between 6th and the river. It'd be cool to see this building get a vertical addition and a new non-ugly facade.
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #42355
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 6011

Quote:
I’ve actually been meaning to ask all the old-timers who can remember. How does our current development development boom compare to the one in the late 80s? Specifically around downtown.
I can't speak to the 70s, although a lot happened then, I moved there in 78. But the 80s were pretty awesome. The Theater District, the Bradley Center, 100 East Wisconsin, 411 East Wisconsin, the Grand Avenue. The Third Ward was just beginning. But there were some pretty high hopes. Two new tallests were proposed for the two blocks either side of the old First Wisconsin Center, now USB. But then the economy tanked and that all halted. I moved out of state in 86 and lost track of what happened next, the 90s, but it seemed like not much, the RiverWalk, mainly and 1000 North Water and the convention center.

However, what is happening now blows it all away. It seems like all of downtown is a construction zone and maybe the best is yet to come. Finally got that sparkling arena done the right way and the entertainment zone we thought would have happened 25 years ago. Now it goes beyond downtown and the whole city seems to have snapped to attention.

Summerfest, man how that has changed. Among other acts, I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn play there at the old mainstage before there was the Amphitheater, 1986. Hot, sweaty, dusty days when beer was cheap and I was young and the women were hotter. The Amphitheater is very nice, but just not the same.

brewcitymilwaukee liked this post

Last edited by mbradleyc; Today at 01:50 PM.
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:17 PM   #42356
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtloken View Post

Now we just need to work down on demoing every parking garage on Michigan between 6th and the river. It'd be cool to see this building get a vertical addition and a new non-ugly facade.
I always wondered about that building.
Old Today, 04:38 PM   #42357
brewcitymilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtloken View Post

I have a feeling that parking structure is here to stay because it sounds like he is trying to make the office component affordable for suburban companies to relocate too.

Oh well, at least Clyborn east of the river is shaping up and so is the part immediately west of the river. Maybe that area will go from the most unwalkable part of downtown to being just bland in the next decade.

thedudetheguytheman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
milwaukee, wisconsin