SANTA CLARA - Levi's Stadium (68,500) - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #81
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 840

Looks good to me. Non symmetry generally adds a bit of character.
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #82
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 179

There's a reason no one designs bowl stadiums anymore.
Archbishop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #83
nanor

Likes (Received): 0

Why don't they just build a new stadium on the site of Candlestick Park? They could share with the Raiders for a season or two during construction.

EDIT: Sorry just found out. Ignore me.

Last edited by nanor; June 28th, 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Incrrect evidence
nanor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #84
pesto

Likes (Received): 3939

nanoor: no money, no interest. As has been mentioned before, the fans and money are now in Santa Clara County and East Bay, and the SF residents are not interested in kicking in funds.

Candlestick also has very poor auto access and no transit. Much the same problems for Hunter's Point, which is the new site that SF is pushing.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #85
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 165

Whats the latest on the stadium?
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #86
The_Big_O
Drugs are bad, m'kay

Likes (Received): 5

ummmmm this thing is uuuuuugly!!!!!! candlestick looks better than this thing
The_Big_O no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #87
Benn

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post

Goes back to the whole Renaissance vs Baroque; whether we want static perfect symmetry or the movement and the balance balance of unequal parts. Both can be achieved effectively, but its really whats the flavor of the day for a given society.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #88
pesto

or how about full-tilt rococo, ala some German chapels? Would be an interesting change from other stadiums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ot...y-basilika.jpg
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #89
dfwabel

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
Whats the latest on the stadium?
Measure J passed, but the team still has to find financing for their part. The NFL's loan program is tapped out on funds. With a work stoppage possible for 2011, it will be more difficult to get financing.

Plus, Cedar Fair may still bring another suit against the city and team.
dfwabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #90
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

This is a key issue. Not even half of the funding is accounted for. Let's hope this overpriced, understyled monstrosity is never built.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #91
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
Goes back to the whole Renaissance vs Baroque; whether we want static perfect symmetry or the movement and the balance balance of unequal parts. Both can be achieved effectively, but its really whats the flavor of the day for a given society.
I agree sort of. In a world full of cookie cutter multi purpose stadiums, variety meant less symmetry as was the case in the US.
In Britain it was normally the other way round with stadiums generally being a hotch potch mix of stands being built and expanded over many years. This meant that the more bowl like symmetrical stadium actually became a way to be different from the norm. The more uniform style has effectively now become a soccer style cookie cutter and so asymmetry is back in vogue.
The difference is that the ideal stadium for soccer tends to limit options when compared to American football. For example open no roof designs are not ideal for soccer and so in Europe they are not really an option.
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #92
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 165

Anything new about this project?
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #93
dfwabel

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
Anything new about this project?
The 49ers are still having issues trying to find financing for its share. In addition, they signed a lease with the city/county of SF through 2014.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...nclick_check=1
dfwabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #94
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 3118

i don't like at all the design
only there you have this type of shape of stadiums! I can't imagine the development of this for the world.
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #95
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hughes View Post
That would be akin to Everton or Liverpool FC moving to Manchester...... a complete non-starter on every level. Although I realise distances are measured on a different scale over there, I still wonder what is to happen with the current local fanbase who have kept the club/team/franchise alive for so many years..... or is it genuinely the case that the bulk of the fanbase is elsewhere? Is there an efficient mass transit system to take them to the new venue? Liverpool for instance have a national/international fanbase with far more fans living outside the city than in it, yet the highest concentration will always be in the city/metropolitan area itself, and it is these that will fill most of the seats most regularly. Does Santa Clara really posses a greater number and concentration of 49ers fans? I've been to SF many times, but can't profess to know much about its teams and their history etc.
Its more a move from newcastle to washington(uk). I like the stadium but when you look at the stadium they play it anything is going to be better. It looked goodhas a baseball stadium but because it has been added to over the years its just ugly now
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #96
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
Its more a move from newcastle to washington(uk). I like the stadium but when you look at the stadium they play it anything is going to be better. It looked goodhas a baseball stadium but because it has been added to over the years its just ugly now
Might be worth repeating that most of the sports fans in the Bay Area are in South Bay (SJ) or East Bay (Oakland, Fremont and inland). SF city is about 10 percent of season ticketholders. Team management claims that the average fan will have a SHORTER commute to the Santa Clara stadium.

My opinion: The stadium is perfectly adequate. Almost all stadiums are generic; even the retro ones. "Cutting edge" nowadays usually means adding some absurd thematic component ("Let's make it look like a boat!"). Makes them look like they belong in a theme park.
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #97
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
i don't like at all the design
only there you have this type of shape of stadiums! I can't imagine the development of this for the world.
Many people over here (myself included) think this is a butt-ugly design, too.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #98
will101

Likes (Received): 2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwabel View Post
The 49ers are still having issues trying to find financing for its share. In addition, they signed a lease with the city/county of SF through 2014.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...nclick_check=1
Originally they were supposed to break ground on this right about now. The labor dispute is one of the reasons why the entire time line has been postponed a year. Current plan is for construction starting about a year from now, with the stadium ready for the 2015 NFL season. Just to hedge their bets, the Niners have a series of one year options at Candlestick through 2023, but the team would prefer not to exercise any of them.

And rumors have been flying about which Silicon Valley mega corporation would be willing to shell out up to $500 million for the naming rights. With Cisco tied in with the A's, and HP already on the home of the Sharks, that leaves only about 40 possibilities. Some feel that Apple is ready to step up on this, but we will have to wait a while to find out for sure.

And the NFL has assured the Niners that their stadium fund will be able to pitch in before 2015, as there are about 8 teams paying back into the fund right now.

And I plan on posting a lot of pix when construction starts. That's *if* the forum can handle such an "ugly" stadium.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #99
will101

Likes (Received): 2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
The place will be symmetrical on a plane through the 50 yard line. As is Ford Field in Detroit and Phillips Arena in Atlanta.

And the design will definitely undergo some minor revisions. Especially when they realize just how breezy it will be there. Not quite as bad as Candlestick, but very noticeable.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:53 AM   #100
Richo83

Likes (Received): 1

This stadium looks like a game of pickup sticks. I also don't like the size, at 68.5k its too small and looks ugly. I'm convinced that they had cheaper better options but that's just my outsider's view.

As for the move, can anyone explain to me why there are so few sf fans, and why some people in this thread have claimed that sf doesn't have the demographic to support a team, but sj does?
Richo83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american football, san francisco, san josé, united states