MELBOURNE Road and infrastructure projects - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #41
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3692

Any road death is one too many but back in the 70's it used to be over 1000 people killed every year. Heard on radio that the Monash was closed outbound at Fosters Rd......and no warning signs before Warrigal Rd exit...so traffic continued before they realised a full stop, you can imagine the traffic being detoured from there.....with signs drivers could have at least detoured back to Dandenong Rd etc. OK the weekend is the best time for full on closure. Also wonder why each centre Fwy lane extension has huge cost of widening each overpass both directions.....why not just make the bridges full width from the start and add lanes as required to match freeway.
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #42
cjb287

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
why not just make the bridges full width from the start and add lanes as required to match freeway.
That would just be too logical. They would have assumed 3 lanes to be adequate for the next 100 years (also the design life of the tunnels) and that traffic growth would remain idle . Who knows. Maybe it had something to do with the recession and the declining population in Melbourne at the time of the roads design.

One question: Can tunnels be widened? Because I sure as hell can't see the 3 lanes of the Burnley and Domain tunnels being adequate much longer.
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #43
jarf
Insane Gunzel

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morjo View Post
Today along the Western Freeway on the way to Ballarat near the Daylesford turn off, they had temporary signs up advising to slow to 40km when wet
It's more to do with ice, which is a significant hazard in winter. Anyone who does 110 over black ice is ******* stupid.
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #44
Morjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarf View Post
It's more to do with ice, which is a significant hazard in winter. Anyone who does 110 over black ice is ******* stupid.
Bloody hell I would not have posted that statement if it were the black ice signs, don't jump to conclusions, I'm not that stupid. The black ice signs are not temporary signs that can be moved about as they have electronic displays, and I think they are on the Calder freeway.

The signs said slow to 40km when wet, it wasn't one of the black ice signs, these were temporary signs, as they had some road surface works happening, but there were no workmen and the works were pretty much complete. I was going well over 40k's in the rain with no problems, so were others.

Last edited by Morjo; May 18th, 2009 at 03:53 AM.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #45
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 564

The Forster Road closure was just the Forster Road bridge. Cars we're going off the exit ramp, and then back onto the freeway at the forster road entry ramp (at least that was my understanding) during hte day.

yep building wider bridges would make life easier but its worth remembering that most of the Monash Freeway bridges have been in existance for 20+ years. even the ones west of Warrigal Road (old South Eastern Arterial route) have been around for 15 years now. spending an extra $1 million then might be the equivalent of $10 million now with NPV.

given we are currently using 2/3rds capacity of the Burnley and Domain tunnels as we close 1 lane in peak hour in each tunnel they shoudl have capacity for another 20 years I guess. and by then we'll probably have built a Eastern Freeway to Western Ring Road tunnel which will ease the squeeze on these tunnels hopefully - particularly from a freight movement persepctive.

(not that I support building the Eastern to WRR tunnel I just think it'll inevitably happen)
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #46
melburn21
flame on.

Likes (Received): 3073

some construction photos of the westgate upgrade....

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #47
cjb287

Great update. Where did you get these pics from?
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #48
melburn21
flame on.

Likes (Received): 3073

my private jet...

Nah, the citylink/monash upgrade website
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #49
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 889

I really like that intersection... very sexy and American.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #50
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12246

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I really like that intersection... very sexy and American.
Really? I think it's the most ugly part of Melbourne (but then I've never liked motorway interchanges). That amount of concrete just... Blergh. Same with the Flinders St Railway Viaduct (I think that's what it's called, right?).

I guess I'm just more of a fan of unobscured cityscapes. The best infrastructure is underground infrastructure.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #51
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 524

I think it's cool. The West Gate doesn't really cut through anything since it's unlikely that there will be much development south of the freeway any time soon.

And the Flinders St viaducts are cool too. Undergrounding the 2+4 tracks on the two viaducts would be impractical (notwithstanding the fact that the older viaduct dates back to the 1880s) but I think it looks cool snaking along the river bank.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #52
Coneslammer

Likes (Received): 26

Yeah that area is already pretty gritty and industrial, and if you're going to put massive flyovers and interchanges somewhere it might as well be there.

Would be nice to see something done with those surface car parks and low-rise industrial sheds though.
Coneslammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #53
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 564

I think his point is if it wasn't for 50 metres of freeway bridges through that area it might be quite a nice spot and not so gritty and industrial. (aside from the 'pointless cost I think geology/water table issues might play a part in a tunnel having very expensive ongoing costs in that area - which is why there are hardly any basement carparks in Southbank)

there have already been planning applications on the south side of the freeway for apartment towers so I would expect in 10-15 years time 'Southbank' apartment towers precinct will extend down as far as perhaps even Dorcas Street (although the Nimby's will have there say and some areas should rightly be protected).

still I like hte overpasses etc. I'm an infrastructure man even if I don't particularly like cars (and don't own one).

bloody mcwupgrade.com.au is such a useless website. It is hardly ever updated with new construction photos etc.
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #54
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

Likes (Received): 1026

Now that they are being built, it should not be an excuse to do nothing around them. I see it as an opportunity to force some commercial businesses other than carparks under the freeway viaducts connecting the two sides up (or at least reducing the dividing effect of the viaduct with desolate carparks occupying the land under it) and increasing the density of the area as a way to reduce the dominating presence it currently has.

My 2.00001 cents.
Planks & Sticks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #55
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

Likes (Received): 998

I love the portals

http://www.mcwupgrade.com.au/driving...an-design.aspx
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.
Jack Daniel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #56
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Really? I think it's the most ugly part of Melbourne (but then I've never liked motorway interchanges). That amount of concrete just... Blergh. Same with the Flinders St Railway Viaduct (I think that's what it's called, right?).

I guess I'm just more of a fan of unobscured cityscapes. The best infrastructure is underground infrastructure.
Heh - I love the rail viaduct. I love all rail viaducts.

They give you great views of the city. What's your opinion on the viaduct in Vauxhall, and the one that carries the brown line (?) in Vienna? They're beautiful.

I think motorway junctions can be pretty cool, they're hardly aesthetically pleasing but I love how complex and yet simple they can be. Southbank isn't exactly a sight for sore eyes, so whilst I generally prefer motorways to be underground in big cities, the M1 isn't really detracting from anything by being on the surface.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #57
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3692

One of the portals under construction today near Montague St.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #58
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

Thanx for sharing.

More info

The metal-clad blocks are 32 metres
in height, 19 metres in length, three and a half metres
wide, with an 11 x 25m ellipse punched through the
blocks to allow the elevated ramps to pass through. As a
comparison, the portal height would be similar to three
times the height of AFL goal posts. These portals will
cover the concrete straddle structures which support the
ramps, providing visual shielding around this location
while offering a wayfinding marker for freeway traffic.

http://www.mcwupgrade.com.au/downloa...e_-_NEW_V7.pdf
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

Last edited by Jack Daniel; May 29th, 2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #59
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

A few days ago

Last edited by Jack Daniel; June 27th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #60
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by melburn21 View Post
some construction photos of the westgate upgrade....
For me at least, that was a potentially misleading intermingling of three photos. Here they are again with, as is normal, a bit of white space:

close-up of the centre of the first photo ... from a different angle.

And a bit further back in the upper left corner:

Melbourne actually isn't car city, despite the photos above (though I wonder what is going on here). Me, I've never held a driving licence.

Last edited by Yardmaster; June 27th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz