V.T.P.200 | Curzon Street | Vertical Entertainment Centre | 200m | Canc. - Page 122 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #2421
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

That was my thought too. Guessing it just means they want to stick a vertical drop ride on the top
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #2422
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Another let down in the space of two minutes ... thought this was going to be news for Birmingham.

Yep...all roads lead to money bags London again,
VTP was proposed before HS2 came on line, I am certain this could work somewhere in Eastside with the amount of footfall that's now going to be generated, and also be more viable than when it was first envisaged.
Not much chance now London has got hold of it...
It wouldn't surprise me if V and Regal get built in London too
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #2423
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

I seriously doubt whether this will ever happen, anywhere.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #2424
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 2907

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
I am certain this could work somewhere in Eastside with the amount of footfall that's now going to be generated
Two main reasons why it would never work in Eastside

1) The footfall in Eastside at the moment is VERY low. Even when the BCU phases 2 and 3 are built and the student accommodation is built it will still mostly be students in the area.

The only "ordinary" people who visit the area are those going to the Thinktank museum and that is not a huge number (the giant IMAX screen is closing in January).

The HS2 station (which will bring increased footfall) wont be opened for years (probably 2026 or later).

2) Eastside is one of the lowest points in the city, why build a tower in one of the lowest points in the city.

When I go up to take photographs I always park in Eastside and walk towards the BullRing, then up New St to Victoria Square, then on to Centenary Square.

And I am going uphill all the way.

If you are going to build a tower anywhere build it up near Centenary Square which is one of the highest point in the city (and there IS a large footfall).

But now we have to two balconies on the new library we don't even need a tower up there either. After all who is going to pay money to go up the tower when you can go on the library balconies for free.
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #2425
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4903

Quote:
Another let down in the space of two minutes ... thought this was going to be news for Birmingham.
Another let down?? What was the first?

This looks like it'll be rolled out in a couple of Chinese cities first, it's now backed by Chinese money.

So it'll happen somewhere for sure ... in regards to London, It would work in Stratford. It has the footfall. If they're allowed or not is a different issue.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #2426
Walsh

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Yep...all roads lead to money bags London again,
VTP was proposed before HS2 came on line, I am certain this could work somewhere in Eastside with the amount of footfall that's now going to be generated, and also be more viable than when it was first envisaged.
Not much chance now London has got hold of it...
It wouldn't surprise me if V and Regal get built in London too
I don't think any of these belong in London!
If this was going to go into Stratford London, I think it would need a redesign!

If you were to hypothetically put V and Regal in London, It would barely have an impact unlike in Birmingham.
Walsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #2427
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
I don't think any of these belong in London!
If this was going to go into Stratford London, I think it would need a redesign!
What, so fits in with the awful 'electricity pylon on speed' known as the Orbit Tower (?) in the Olympic Park?!?!?!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #2428
Walsh

Quote:
What, so fits in with the awful 'electricity pylon on speed' known as the Orbit Tower (?) in the Olympic Park?!?!?!
yes...

It does grow on you though, I gym in the aquatic centre opposite and have to look at it most evenings. Does look stunning at night when lit up...
Old October 9th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #2429
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2108

Was there not already one proposed for London?

I'm sure there was, not sure which one though

http://www.vtpglobal.com/vtp_tower_designs.html

If you look here there is a render of one outside the town hall in Manchester. Doubt they will ever let that happen though
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #2430
Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
Was there not already one proposed for London?

I'm sure there was, not sure which one though

http://www.vtpglobal.com/vtp_tower_designs.html

If you look here there is a render of one outside the town hall in Manchester. Doubt they will ever let that happen though
Do any of these actually get built anyway? Probably belongs if blackpool if anywhere!
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #2431
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
yes...

It does grow on you though, I gym in the aquatic centre opposite and have to look at it most evenings. Does look stunning at night when lit up...
It was one of those projects where there was a spare pot of money to throw at an Olympic project, and that awful structure was the end result .... a classic case of someone with 'more money than sense'. Will be pulled down in 20 years time, trust me
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
eastside, observation, theme park