Official Black Country Development Thread - Page 116 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 15th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #2301
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5824

First time I've heard of this, why wasn't it posted here? So many things we could have had construction threads for.

Express and Star

http://www.expressandstar.com/educat...sall/32212416/

Opened 2014 apparently?

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

sefton66 liked this post
DBadger no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #2302
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7679

Yup so many projects that have never Had their own threads

Shame really

The BMAG extension with Birmingham history galleries never had its own thread and was a huge project in reality

We need to get more forumers and updates to keep the interest
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #2303
Red Ape

Likes (Received): 286

Don't know Bloxwich that well, so I haven't a clue where this college is. Anyone know what site it was built on & what had to be knocked down?
Red Ape no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #2304
sefton66

Found this

Our students will be involved in the design and build of the brand new, cutting edge UTC building at the Springfield Campus in Wolverhampton town centre.

The WMCUTC will open in September 2015, for one year, at our Northwood Park Campus in Wolverhampton whilst the students design the Springfield Campus:
Northwood Park Campus
Northwood Park Rd
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
WV10 8EP

In 2016 the WMCUTC will move to the Springfield Campus, which has exceptional transport links throughout the West Midlands.
Cambridge Street
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
WV10 0JP

There will be lots of opportunities to visit us and see our new building take shape from 2015. In the meantime, keep your eye on this page where we’ll let you know about our events. You can also meet our Principal, Tom Macdonald. Email him at [email protected] to arrange an appointment or if you have any questions about our programme.
Old March 16th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #2305
DBadger
culled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ape View Post
Don't know Bloxwich that well, so I haven't a clue where this college is. Anyone know what site it was built on & what had to be knocked down?
The Bloxwich UTC is next to the existing Black Country UTC, built on their land and connected by a shared entrance, so nothing had to be demolished. Looks like it's across the lake from where the A4124 Lichfield Road crosses the M6.

http://www.blackcountryutc.co.uk/

Red Ape liked this post
DBadger no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2306
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

Where the Lichfield Road goes under the M6.

That site used to be called "The Sneyd School/Comp" or something along those lines.

DBadger, Red Ape liked this post
Butterfield no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #2307
DBadger
culled

Work on Ice Rink at West Brom to begin before end of year:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...y-end-of-year/

DBadger no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #2308
Benjyt

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Work on Ice Rink at West Brom to begin before end of year:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...y-end-of-year/

Cllr Darren Pooper said it was to open within 12 months. That was in July 2013!!
Benjyt no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #2309
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjyt View Post
Cllr Darren Pooper
Butterfield no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #2310
Red Ape

More low paid jobs?

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/l...dnesbury-base/

Lidl to bring 500 jobs with new Wednesbury base
Up to 500 new jobs will be created after supermarket giant Lidl revealed plans to build a distribution centre near to the M6 in Wednesbury.

The proposed centre will measure 450,000 sq ft, the equivalent of six professional football pitches, and be built on land near to junction nine.

Bosses from the retailer said the new centre would spearhead future expansion across the entire region and will serve stores across the region.

It will create managerial and office-based jobs in addition to full-time warehouse roles operating on a three-shift basis, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

The announcement has been welcomed by Sandwell Council with bosses saying it will be a boost to the economy in Sandwell.

Officials said its recruitment team would be working with the retailer to make sure it secured the jobs for people in the area and maximised the economic benefit to the borough.

Sandwell Council leader, Councillor Darren Cooper welcomed the announcement.

“This is excellent news for Sandwell because it will have a significant positive economic impact," he said.

"I understand Lidl had looked at a number of sites but opted for this location because the company wanted to access a sufficiently large employment pool.

"We will be working closely with Lidl on recruitment to secure these jobs for local people.”

Spokesman for Lidl UK Ingo Fischer said the new warehouse would help to service stores across the West Midlands.

"Our expansion across the UK continues.

"We are looking forward to offering our products to more customers, as well as bringing new jobs and investment to the area in the not-too-distant future."

Lidl has conditionally acquired the site from land owner St Francis Group and is working with Opus Land to develop it.

Planning permission is already in place at the site for an industrial development of up to 597,000 sq ft.

It is anticipated that detailed plans for the design and layout of the new facility will be submitted to the council for consideration in the coming months - although an exact timescale has not yet been set.

Managing director of Opus Land Richard Smith said: “I am delighted to see plans for this development have been successfully concluded.

"This is a major distribution centre for Lidl and will bring a wide range of benefits to the borough of Sandwell.”

Director of St Francis Group Gareth Williams added: "We have always known this land is an excellent site with fantastic potential.

"It was always our intention to attract a single large user so we couldn’t be happier to see Lidl move onto the site.

"This deal will provide Lidl with a great location for its distribution centre which in turn will help boost the economy in Sandwell.”
Red Ape no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #2311
sefton66

Low paid?

Warehouse operatives are paid more than minimum wage, there's a demand for qualified forklift drivers and with shifts they'll be paid a premium rate
Old June 13th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #2312
leonardoy

Likes (Received): 1752

High St and St Matthews Walsall

[IMG][/IMG]

One day I must turn left at J10 M6 instead of going right.Only ever get down these parts when delivering to Grazebrook nr.Dudley.Walsall seems worth a look.
Old June 13th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #2313
DBadger
culled

Walsall is surprisingly nice, although the things occupying the buildings leave much to be desired.

DBadger no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #2314
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2633

What occupies them?

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #2315
DBadger
culled

I mean Walsall as a whole - it's a collection of lovely buildings but with pretty carp retailers and businesses in them overall.

DBadger no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:44 AM   #2316
GGHughes

Likes (Received): 82

I need to visit Walsall again, spent a good few nights in the Wharf.

Anyway, my point for visiting... Originally Urban Splash intended to have a leather clad building on the site. I'll try and find copies of the original plans.
GGHughes no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2016, 02:41 PM   #2317
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGHughes View Post
I need to visit Walsall again, spent a good few nights in the Wharf.

Anyway, my point for visiting... Originally Urban Splash intended to have a leather clad building on the site. I'll try and find copies of the original plans.
I don't think most of the things planned for the Waterfront have come off & things not planned seem to have appeared such as a cinema & hotel

http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/documen...Waterfront.pdf

I suppose that one building could be the hotel but it appears to have turned 90 degrees?
Red Ape no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
walsall, wolverhampton