Poll: Should this section be re-organized by city? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真

Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真 Pictures & Video of Japan / 都市の景観・自然 写真とビデオ

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should this section be reorganized?
Yes! it should be re-organized by city 12 52.17%
No! Keep it as is 10 43.48%
I have another idea/suggestion 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7th, 2018, 05:58 AM   #1
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 8181

Poll: Should this section be re-organized by city?

Based on member suggestions,

should this section be
1) re-organized where each thread is one city?
2) keep it as is (mix of regional stickies, and personal albums)
3) other ideas (explain below)

I will keep this poll until the start of next year (Jan 2019)

Zaz965 liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2018, 09:17 AM   #2
loefet

Likes (Received): 254

No.
Since most personal albums are peoples trip reports, then if they were to be forced into city specific threads, then the story of the trip would loose its point and if you as a follower wanted to follow along and view the images as the trip happened then it would be really difficult.

Also, there is more to Japan than to split it up into a few threads according to its cities.

RyukyuRhymer liked this post
loefet está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2018, 07:25 AM   #3
UztoUS
Гузель Турсунова

Likes (Received): 120

i can understand both arguments. but i prefer country sections organize pics by city or area and here is why.

when people visit a country section, they want to learn more about a city or country. its more easier to find more about a city if everything is combined into it instead of scattered about.

but I understand from the posters perspective, they want to explain their story and experiences.

but there are two sections for that. trip report and urban showcase.

you can do both.

RyukyuRhymer, Zaz965 liked this post
UztoUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2018, 09:38 PM   #4
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 90222

Just keep it like it is, but it's possible to give a couple cities their own thread instead of being included in a regional thread.

The personal threads are mainly trip reports, it's interesting to follow someone around the country or city. If you put them together in 1 thread then it will be all over the place. They are now much more active then the sticky threads, you can't look at the views because you are comparing threads that started in 2002 with threads that started this year or in the past couple of years.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:43 AM   #5
la.risa.el.olvido
Moderador SSC México

Likes (Received): 6719

Just keep it as it is now, but maybe we could divide the existing or create new threads for major and popular cities in Japan within the sticky section. That way the users could still share their personal journey and there would be space to share photos for people who haven't visited Japan yet.
Old December 28th, 2018, 05:17 PM   #6
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

wow, im very surprised there are more people who want to see this section reorganized

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2018, 12:48 AM   #7
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

But no one knows who want and who don't want. Usuals here? Usuals who post photo threads here? Newcomers? Occasionals? Bots? Trolls?

In the Spanish mods forum asked the same and the conclusion considering the volume (and I guess the Spanish section has more activity than the Japanese): Keep it as is

RyukyuRhymer, inefekt liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #8
UztoUS
Гузель Турсунова

Likes (Received): 120

I disagree. i dont post a lot here but I look for research and its very confusing.

look at all the personal albums. they have almost zero participation.

if it was done by city, members can see contributions by everyone and learn more about the city.
UztoUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 11:45 AM   #9
inefekt

Likes (Received): 3956

Quote:
Originally Posted by UztoUS View Post
look at all the personal albums. they have almost zero participation.
This is true unfortunately
inefekt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 90222

The city/region threads are also pretty much picture posts only without discussion in between. I think that's mainly down to the like system that make people just like a post instead of posting just a small reply.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 10:47 AM   #11
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

given that votes for re-organization did not form the majority, the mods have decided not to re-organize this section and to keep it as is

la.risa.el.olvido, Zaz965, Sr.Horn liked this post
Old July 27th, 2019, 02:24 AM   #12
Jakub
3D

I like the idea by Momo to open additional separate threads for major cities like Tokyo, Osaka etc. It would be also nice to introduce some rules to get rid of some junk-photos, oversized pixelated stuff or overdid with saturation. Then it would be good to slow down and start little discussion from time to time.
Jakub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2019, 05:13 AM   #13
inefekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub View Post
start little discussion from time to time.
That's never going to happen. I tried to encourage it a little while back but it fell on deaf ears. People are much better off sharing their photos on popular social media platforms where there is significantly more input from others. My current photo thread will certainly be the last I contribute here as it's a complete waste of time otherwise. Shout out though to the small handful of SSC members here that do contribute to threads
Old July 27th, 2019, 07:26 PM   #14
Jakub
3D

I know it's hard to get an attention and any way of forcing it won't bring good results, therefore suplying the thread with good-quality photos and leaving the rest free might be the best option.
Old July 28th, 2019, 02:37 AM   #15
inefekt

Quote:
I know it's hard to get an attention and any way of forcing it won't bring good results, therefore suplying the thread with good-quality photos and leaving the rest free might be the best option.
It's not about 'getting attention', it's about having some kind of interaction, knowing that your efforts in sharing your images are contributing to the activity of the forum, which, let's face it, is getting more and more like a ghost town.

And you seem to keep going on about the quality of the images here, are you saying they aren't good enough? What makes you a good judge of photography? I'm asking in a genuine way, not a condescending way....
Old July 28th, 2019, 05:45 PM   #16
Jakub
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post
It's not about 'getting attention', it's about having some kind of interaction, knowing that your efforts in sharing your images are contributing to the activity of the forum, which, let's face it, is getting more and more like a ghost town.
I guess it is a little bit... I agree with you that the final goal is the mentioned interaction, I see "getting attention" as a tool to produce that "interaction". I would say to get the attention is the first step, but there are others that follow...

I think you can distinguish between different types of interaction and it's gradual. First one would be a kind of higer "response rate", where people simply say stuff like "thanks", or "cool photo" and it's already good as it gives motivation and lets you know someone is there. It's a kind of short-range action though and as we can see to some extend like-button overtook that role. The next one would be when people write longer comments but it's still more like an audience group, who simply react to what's on stage. I would rather call it re-action instead of inter-action. The real interaction is a debate. Besides people can refer to different things when you post a photo and you never really know what kind of. I guess you know all that, but if we talk about real interaction it is good to understand the process itself.

Over 9 years ago on polish forum I started a thread with urban photographs expecting immense activity (because the photos were so cool!) and I found out quickly that for the 90% of the time of its existence I am doing it for my personal record, but I am fine with it, because it enabled to topic to remain relatively aesthetic. On the other hand the most interesting disscussion on this matter started somewhere else as off-topic most of the times or in Hyde Park where people were having more freedom. I think people will start to take an action if two conditions are fullfilled, if they feel that have something to contribute as well and they will know they get a proper exposure.

Probably the good way to trigger a disscussion by a photo is simply to add a description to it, write about the story behind it or tell what it is showing or express some emotions towards it, then people might reply... and best way? Here on ssc? It's probably a *provocation, if people don't agree with you they almost always respond ; )

*... or a statment, then you create a reference point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post
And you seem to keep going on about the quality of the images here, are you saying they aren't good enough? What makes you a good judge of photography? I'm asking in a genuine way, not a condescending way....
I'm talking about the image quality in general, or rather posting them consciously to assure a certain level of quality but I know that these kind of rules can actually also kill the topic as people will hesitate to post anything... I don't know... it just feels that many have different taste and it's hard to find a common ground. Still I think that reposting everything from the web as it goes is pointless and it makes good things drown. Some photos are simply a bad graphic image and sometimes people post tonnes of it. Maybe asking people to post their favorite stuff is a good way out of this problem.

The last one thing: what kind of space the forum is? It allows you to talk and present your opinion or knowledge and it's all saved, stored, accessible and ready to continue at any moment and I really enjoy the way that tool is working. The forum is a living thing and if the people try to reverse its function it's automatically less effective... The shortcomming of this cyber space is the anonymity. Sometimes the content you produce is valuable (still exposed) but you are just a user.

la.risa.el.olvido liked this post
Old July 29th, 2019, 02:06 PM   #17
inefekt

Very insightful and interesting comments there Jakub

Quote:
Here on ssc? It's probably a *provocation, if people don't agree with you they almost always respond ; )
Yes, someone in particular on this forum comes to mind when you put it that way

Quote:
as we can see to some extend like-button overtook that role.
I'm not sure that was a great new feature to introduce, it makes people lazy and is just riding on the coattails of the social media revolution.

Last edited by inefekt; July 29th, 2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:58 AM   #18
Jakub
3D

Yeah, the like button made it easier for people but probably made them more lazy as well. I like many photos from your thread btw, if you would narate your travel-story it would be even better.

I really think that generating "a crowd" here is to stick to the forum's main function: talking and to start that conversation you neeed to express your own ideas and views first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: