The European Union - In or Out? - Page 150 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > The Lunar Society

The Lunar Society The Birmingham Metro Area Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2019, 01:59 PM   #2981
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonian View Post
Yes,I was going to mention Black Swan when somebody mentioned the real worst case scenario report. It’s named after the film and what happened to the main character, but I haven’t seen the film. Can anybody enlighten us?
Actually, I believe the scenario may be named after the theory developed by Nassim Nicholas Taleb in 2001 in his book 'Fooled by Randomness' and/or the prior ideas discussed in philosophy around the problems involved in induction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

Not sure how the film fits into is as I've not seen it either - it might be completely unrelated. Anyway, what Taleb seems to be saying is that most events are unpredictable and a surprise but are rationalised afterwards as if they could be expected. Apparently, he says we shouldn't aim to make these events any more predictable but build robustness in the event that they do occur.
Bear Would Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2019, 07:04 PM   #2982
PrometheusUnchained

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Would Ian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Yellow Hammer... Wow. https://assets.publishing.service.go...ptions_CDL.pdf

Worth noting that this document states it's the "worst case"... the leaks to the papers a few weeks ago state "base scenario". The difference of both phrases are significant. Base being the least you can expect and worst being the most.
If this is the base scenario then surely there must be a worst case which hasn't been released yet. Parliament must take action to find out if this is the case and if it is Johnson should resign for misleading Parliament by withholding information, attempting to stifle scrutiny by prorogation and in effect lying to the public. Parliament must be recalled immediately.
The problem with scenario planning with something like the economy or a country is that there is enormous scope for things to go very badly wrong. For example, the worst case scenario might be war with the Europeans, as unlikely as that is.

That being the case, you have to draw the line somewhere in planning for what is a "reasonable" worst case scenario, i.e. a scenario that is unlikely but not so unlikely as to be unreasonable to plan for. I actually think you're reading too much into the differences in terminology; you can have a "base" worst case scenario for exactly the above reason.
PrometheusUnchained no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 08:56 AM   #2983
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Brexiter interviewed on BBC prepared to die to ensure we leave the EU, goes along the lines of:

Interviewer: So if the insulin supply you rely on is affected, leaving you without any, is that an acceptable consequence of leaving with no deal?
Brexiter: Yes. I just want out, we voted to leave, we must leave.

Brexiters across the country more than happy it seems for children, even in their own family, to die in the name of Brexit. Insane.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 10:29 AM   #2984
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 854

I think stating that 'brexiteers across the country are happy for children to die' based on one comment from one person, is a great example of just how ridiculous people have become off the back of this whole sorry scenario.

Talk about generalising much!!

sefton66 liked this post
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 10:40 AM   #2985
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2654

It is definitely an extreme position to take. You'd rather impact your health and possibly die as a consequence to leave something you have generally no contact with day to day. Rather different to dying for a cause however.

It is rather peculiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusUnchained View Post
The problem with scenario planning with something like the economy or a country is that there is enormous scope for things to go very badly wrong. For example, the worst case scenario might be war with the Europeans, as unlikely as that is.

That being the case, you have to draw the line somewhere in planning for what is a "reasonable" worst case scenario, i.e. a scenario that is unlikely but not so unlikely as to be unreasonable to plan for. I actually think you're reading too much into the differences in terminology; you can have a "base" worst case scenario for exactly the above reason.
Maybe but then it does beg the question, why rename the document for the public version which did not initially included the word worst?

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Bear Would Ian liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 10:46 AM   #2986
BhamJim

I would suggest that most brexiteers would see warnings of lack of drugs (for example) as scaremongering akin to the pre referendum warnings that never came to fruition.

This may well be a naive and flippant attitude but it's understandable.

So instead of leading the interviewer into a back and forth of 'he said, she said, oh yes it will, oh no wont' discussion. They simply said 'yeah, I'll take the risk.'

sefton66 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2019, 04:53 PM   #2987
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
I think stating that 'brexiteers across the country are happy for children to die' based on one comment from one person, is a great example of just how ridiculous people have become off the back of this whole sorry scenario.

Talk about generalising much!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/lol.gif[/IMG]
Yes, let’s not go mad. They’re prepared for other people’s children to die, and to strip them of rights that they themselves have had for the last forty years. They might not be happy, but it’s not enough to change their minds. They’re also okay with cancer treatment being adversely affected, understaffing at hospitals, bringing back the IRA, damage to national security, and as one survey revealed in which they actually asked them, a large percentage would support Brexit if it meant a member of their own family losing their job.

Last edited by Astonian; September 19th, 2019 at 04:59 PM.
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 05:07 PM   #2988
Astonian

Quote:
I would suggest that most brexiteers would see warnings of lack of drugs (for example) as scaremongering akin to the pre referendum warnings that never came to fruition.

This may well be a naive and flippant attitude but it's understandable.

So instead of leading the interviewer into a back and forth of 'he said, she said, oh yes it will, oh no wont' discussion. They simply said 'yeah, I'll take the risk.'
The pound is lower than predicted, it’s costing £600m a week, factories are closing, businesses are relocating to the EU, investment has slumped and a trillion pounds worth of assets has been moved out of the country. Some estimates suggest it’s cost 250,000 jobs, but let’s not forget that even worse effects were softened by the Bank of England’s emergency budget straight after the vote.

Kingsheathen liked this post
Old September 19th, 2019, 06:14 PM   #2989
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7756

Cost 250,000 jobs but unemployment at record low levels and wage growth above inflation

sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:14 PM   #2990
Astonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Cost 250,000 jobs but unemployment at record low levels and wage growth above inflation

[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/yawnee.gif[/IMG]
I’ll tell my neighbour in his new high-rise council flat. That’ll cheer him up. To be fair though, he did vote to lose his own job and home,so I’ve only got sympathy for his kids. Let’s hope they’re not diabetic or might benefit from early cancer diagnosis and treatment, or he really will feel guilty. Never mind though, I’m sure he’ll get a couple of hours work a week in the gig economy, and be counted as employed, like millions of others.

JayPeeDee liked this post

Last edited by Astonian; September 19th, 2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old September 19th, 2019, 11:55 PM   #2991
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Quote:
It is definitely an extreme position to take. You'd rather impact your health and possibly die as a consequence to leave something you have generally no contact with day to day. Rather different to dying for a cause however.
To be honest I think the poor chap is so wrapped up in Brexit bias that he’s lost the ability to reason with any sanity. Unfortunately there’s a large proportion of society who feel the same way, in this Brexit “we must leave come what may” bubble lapping up whatever the Daily Mail feeds them that morning.

Brum X liked this post
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:36 AM   #2992
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post

Thank you for pointing out that unemployment is higher than it would have otherwise been.

BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 08:13 PM   #2993
cmpd1

Likes (Received): 272

If you amputated the leg of a Brexiteer they'd say if we hadn't left the EU, they'd have lost both legs. They're that mad.
cmpd1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 05:00 PM   #2994
BhamJim

I think it's fair to say this thread has totally lost it.

There is clearly such deep anger amongst some remainers that they are making comments that are not only absurd, but if directed with such generalising, assumption and venom at any other group could get them into trouble.

sefton66 liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2019, 11:12 PM   #2995
djay
The promised land

Channel 4 should be interesting. Missed 10mins of it but it should give a good insight.

Old September 24th, 2019, 12:53 PM   #2996
djay
The promised land

Supreme Court rules against the Government for prorogation.

Bear Would Ian, BlackCountryAl liked this post

Last edited by djay; September 24th, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:40 PM   #2997
Astonian

Quote:
Supreme Court rules against the Government for prorogation.
A great day for democracy, a bad one for those who don’t really understand it.

leonigmig liked this post
Old September 24th, 2019, 05:36 PM   #2998
BhamJim

Yep, they can all go back to bickering and point scoring and getting absolutely nowhere. I was quite enjoying the break myself.

Also I hope this doesn't prematurely end the Labour conference. The hilarity of Corbyn's giveaway tweets was so entertaining, I was excited waiting for what was next. A 100% payrise for every teacher, nurse and copper, free electric cars for everyone, free money and food for all mums, pensioners and asylum seekers, roll roll up for a ticket on the gravy train!!
Old September 24th, 2019, 06:19 PM   #2999
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2113

BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 07:45 PM   #3000
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Yep, they can all go back to bickering and point scoring and getting absolutely nowhere. I was quite enjoying the break myself.

Also I hope this doesn't prematurely end the Labour conference. The hilarity of Corbyn's giveaway tweets was so entertaining, I was excited waiting for what was next. A 100% payrise for every teacher, nurse and copper, free electric cars for everyone, free money and food for all mums, pensioners and asylum seekers, roll roll up for a ticket on the gravy train!!
See this Is what I don’t understand about the tribalism.

Boris Gravy train to date £2.1bn on the border, £1.85bn for NHS equipment, £3.6bn for justice. £3bn to 5bn on broadband, £4.6bn on schools.

All of which is equally uncosted. If you think Labours spending commitments are a joke then you must also think The Torries spending commitments are equally as laughable.

But on Brexit, I think it means the end of the Torries is getting closer and the end of Johnson can’t be far away. The party of law and order now have a leader that has acted unlawfully.

Brum X, Bear Would Ian liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brexit, e.u., eu referendum