Media Midlands - Page 310 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2019, 09:22 PM   #6181
Lucas98

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasaandoo View Post
https://www.screendaily.com/features...142404.article

The lowdown on all the UK’s new studio developments

Mercian Studios

ENGLAND

Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight is pressing ahead with the 30-acres Mercian Studios in Birmingham. “What I am trying to create is a studio complex with a halo effect so you have got a media neighbourhood,” he explains.

Knight is promising a Brummie equivalent to London’s Soho, complete with shooting facilities, education initiatives, street theatre and new housing. University of Birmingham, City of Birmingham University and the London Film Academy are all involved. Once the high-speed railway is complete, the site will be only 49 minutes from Euston and Knight’s own projects, including his future Charles Dickens adaptations, are likely to shoot here.

—-

30 acres???
The line in bold makes me feel a bit more confident this may actually happen, this combined with the new screening body. Also not so long ago Nikal were mentioned to be involved with the residential aspect, I get the feeling that with this project there is a lot going on in the background.

Hasaandoo, RalphGuy, nigeman, Rijowhi liked this post
Lucas98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2019, 04:03 PM   #6182
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1955

Gotta love the radio output differences...so Virgin Absolute X and 5Live always mention the city up north on traffic yet never name drop Brum on any when it’s always Spaghetti or Great Barr. And sport...when Brum had the athletics trials no mention of the city and the Ashes it was always Edgbaston but now it’s not Old Trafford but M.... yep you guessed it.
Old September 5th, 2019, 10:05 AM   #6183
blueboy

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Gotta love the radio output differences...so Virgin Absolute X and 5Live always mention the city up north on traffic yet never name drop Brum on any when it’s always Spaghetti or Great Barr. And sport...when Brum had the athletics trials no mention of the city and the Ashes it was always Edgbaston but now it’s not Old Trafford but M.... yep you guessed it.
Yeah, its definitely a thing, always west mids not Birmingham, but Manc gets mentioned as many times as possible, especially on the BBC.
We're partially to blame for adopting the ever so catchy WMCA moniker instead of Greater Birmingham.
Old September 5th, 2019, 11:02 AM   #6184
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
Yeah, its definitely a thing, always west mids not Birmingham, but Manc gets mentioned as many times as possible, especially on the BBC.
We're partially to blame for adopting the ever so catchy WMCA moniker instead of Greater Birmingham.

Should be a push for Greater Birmingham this WMCA isn’t doing anyone any favours...

Kingsheathen liked this post
Hasaandoo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:10 PM   #6185
Steldemetriou
Stel

Likes (Received): 686

it's interesting, working in the property industry I have noticed over the last 2 years Greater Birmingham being used more in conversations and publications/reports.

The more people use the term it should snowball and become the wider accepted term for the region.

I also spotted the other day that the Coventry Telegraph has a Greater Birmingham news page on their website.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/al...ter-birmingham
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:47 PM   #6186
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steldemetriou View Post
it's interesting, working in the property industry I have noticed over the last 2 years Greater Birmingham being used more in conversations and publications/reports.

The more people use the term it should snowball and become the wider accepted term for the region.

I also spotted the other day that the Coventry Telegraph has a Greater Birmingham news page on their website.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/al...ter-birmingham
Officially, "Greater Birmingham" could refer to *copy & paste* the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), consisting of Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Cannock Chase, East Staffordshire, Lichfield, Redditch, Solihull, Tamworth and Wyre Forest.

But as for the naming of the conurbation it's as factually incorrect as me saying that Dudley is in Worcestershire and Birmingham is in Warwickshire. Maybe I'll start using those terms in public instead if we're going down the unofficial naming route where it suits!

As for the Coventry Telegraph, I'm not quite sure who or what they're aiming at there.

Last edited by Butterfield; September 5th, 2019 at 09:57 PM.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 10:08 PM   #6187
Planey28

Likes (Received): 373

The Greater Birmingham tag on the Cov Telegraph goes back to the early days when they were reporting on the formation of the CA.

They just haven’t bothered to change it, the Mail tags half of their articles as Apple so I wouldn’t read into that one.
Planey28 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 05:06 PM   #6188
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1581

https://twitter.com/jqbhx/status/1170710782100815874

Interesting thread - had the council capitalised on the Lord of the Rings as they are trying to do with Peaky Blinders, quite a lot of Edgbaaston between the reservoir and the Hagley Road would probably have been beautified and inundated with tourists
Old September 9th, 2019, 03:40 PM   #6189
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3284

Quote:
How US star Beanie Feldstein learned Wolverhampton accent

If you happened to visit a gift shop in Wolverhampton last year, you may well have been served by a Hollywood star when you reached the tills.

That's where US actress Beanie Feldstein spent a few weeks working as she tried to pick up the tricky accent for her new movie How To Build A Girl.

She plays the lead role in the screen adaptation of Caitlin Moran's novel.

"I'm from Los Angeles so the first battle was the Wolverhampton accent," Feldstein explained.

"The West Midlands is a place I know very well and love very much now. For preparation, I went to Wolverhampton for two weeks and I worked in a store, and I had to speak in the accent the entire time I was working.

"And the first week I did not fool anybody!" she laughs. "But then by the end of the second week with a little help from the girls I was working with - they would yell at me when I got something wrong - by the end of the week I felt much more comfortable."
More here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49623622
Old September 10th, 2019, 09:59 AM   #6190
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy View Post

Though the ‘West Midlands’ has existed for several decades so nothing to do with WMCA...the term IS rubbish though. As for the UK’s mainstream media they like to forget about the whole of the Midlands...

Kingsheathen, Hasaandoo liked this post
Rijowhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:58 PM   #6191
Razmus dazmussen

Likes (Received): 129

Absolutely Jonfsnow, 'peaky blinders' national, 'lord of the rings' international.

I'm not going to make assumptions, but I should imagine the worldwide interest in Birmingham would've definitely been raised substantially if lord of rings was pushed like p blinders.

As for greater Birmingham against west Midlands or other abbreviations that have been mentioned, I think this issue definitely needs raising.

And i think greater Birmingham would probably be the best term to describe the conurbations incorporated around brum, although there's confusion around which areas should be included and would want to be included.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:40 PM   #6192
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmus dazmussen View Post
Absolutely Jonfsnow, 'peaky blinders' national, 'lord of the rings' international.

I'm not going to make assumptions, but I should imagine the worldwide interest in Birmingham would've definitely been raised substantially if lord of rings was pushed like p blinders.

As for greater Birmingham against west Midlands or other abbreviations that have been mentioned, I think this issue definitely needs raising.

And i think greater Birmingham would probably be the best term to describe the conurbations incorporated around brum, although there's confusion around which areas should be included and would want to be included.

Only the City of Birmingham could waste a golden opportunity like the Lord Of The Rings phenomenon to promote itself to the World. Same with changing Birmingham Airport’s name to Birmingham Shakespeare Airport (or William Shakespeare Airport, Birmingham). Then there is the whole lack of a Heavy Metal Museum...I don’t even like half of these things but I can see the potential if promoted correctly. At least something is happening with Peaky Blinders...

Being honest these sort of things are far more important than any ‘Greater Birmingham’ rebrand though the West Midlands moniker definitely has to go. If ‘Greater Birmingham’ cannot be agreed on then what’s wrong with either splitting the ‘County’ up into three parts as per the LEP’s or ‘doing a Bristol’ reverting the Metropolitan Area into the original four Counties? Then have a Combined Authority for the Birmingham Metropolitan Area with Centro making a comeback for Transport matters. That name ‘Transport for West Midlands’...ugh. Yet another way for the area to shoot itself in the foot...
Old September 11th, 2019, 12:01 AM   #6193
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 570

To be honest it's extremely unlikely that the Two Towers has anything to do with Perrot's Folly and the Waterworks Tower. It's all a bit of a marketing gimmick which hasn't even worked as that. There is enough in the area though for the Tolkien fan: at least two properties he lived at still standing, the Oratory, and the Ivy Bush which is a pub in the Shire.
Bear Would Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:36 AM   #6194
aqeembayor

Likes (Received): 848

Stephen Fry bigging up Birmingham to his 12.7m followers:

https://twitter.com/stephenfry/statu...48311044972544

https://twitter.com/stephenfry/statu...81806056267776
aqeembayor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:52 PM   #6195
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqeembayor View Post

Yes I saw this. If someone as intelligent as Stephen Fry can see the beauty in Birmingham (these days) then there is hope yet methinks!

blueboy, Hasaandoo liked this post
Rijowhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 10:02 PM   #6196
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7620

Inside Cadbury’s

Channel 4 aired tonight

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...7-807ebd53ab77
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:38 PM   #6197
demtingzdere

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijowhi View Post
Yes I saw this. If someone as intelligent as Stephen Fry can see the beauty in Birmingham (these days) then there is hope yet methinks!
Same, always liked Big Steve and now I like him even more. Big Steve
demtingzdere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:17 PM   #6198
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2075

Zombie series set in Birmingham.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...es-Zomboat-air

RalphGuy, Hasaandoo, Wodensfelder liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:23 AM   #6199
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1581

Is this a good thing or is it just playing up to a 'it's grey and dystopian and everyone's thick and speaks funny' stereotype?

I guess the only way to find out is to see where it's filmed, I can't imagine a zombie comedy would work if the setting is miserable, it's the juxtaposition that would make it funny maybe - grey, slow moving zombies set against the backdrop of a colourful, fast-changing and vibrant city? Or will it be some kind of comment on everyone wandering round staring at their phones playing Pokemon go....?

I hope they escape southwards along the stretch of canal that passes Selly Oak rather than towards Wolverhampton, it'll be a lot greener.

Kingsheathen liked this post
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 08:07 PM   #6200
Backtobrum

Likes (Received): 174

Apologies if this is a re-post (the piece dates back to March this year) but a really interesting piece about Architecture practice, Intervention Architecture. Not so often that Birmingham crops up in Riba - and without any of the patronising out-dated images of the city we've come to expect;

https://www.ribaj.com/culture/interv...future-winners

Tags
media