West Midlands Metro (Trams/Light Rail) - Page 237 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2019, 07:33 PM   #4721
Route 435

Likes (Received): 246

What's the likelihood that the tram could be extended around Wolvo ring road or past the Royal London pub area to Molineux and beyond?
Considering that there's almost a million people in the black country, the train & tram service is woeful. If you look at the density of stations in London, then again all British urban areas are poorly provided for.

Wodensfelder, RalphGuy liked this post
Route 435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2019, 08:04 PM   #4722
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5821

we have this very loose idea:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2072157

That gets the tram as far as Beatties; from there it would be a short leap to get to the Molineux via Waterloo Road (more likely than the Stafford Road due to the steep hill that side of Molineux).

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

Wodensfelder liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #4723
Lucas98

Likes (Received): 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodensfelder View Post
If itís your opinion, then so be it. I respect your work on this forum and was disappointed to read it. I thought there was a bit of regional solidarity on here. I make no claims for Wolverhamptonís greatness, but it deserves better than that. Itís a decent place with some good things coming through the pipeline.
I agree with you here Wodensfelder, I do believe the cities in the region should support each other. Each city has its own issues that they are working on but they all have their strengths as well.

Wodensfelder, RalphGuy liked this post
Lucas98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 08:52 PM   #4724
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14391

Sorry you guys feel that way, maybe it was a little harsh.

I just hope the opening of the new train station really pushes other developments to look into Wolverhampton. It's a shame the Tesco Extra store fell through as we saw quite an impact of Tesco opening stores in other regional areas such as Dudley, West Bromwich and Walsall.

The media don't really help Wolves situation either.

Wodensfelder liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 09:39 PM   #4725
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 570

Well I saw some lovely Georgian and early Victorian buildings walking round the city centre last year. It's got some sh*te for sure but most English cities do. Lots of pubs with character and plenty of independent retailers. Very underrated city
Bear Would Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 10:07 PM   #4726
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropa View Post
Seems to be a Midlands thing. And mainly people in the 55 to 75 age range. Maybe it is a educational issue.

Older people yes, but no way just a Midlands thing.

Wodensfelder, Lucas98 liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 11:03 PM   #4727
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Yes

Birmingham is much bigger so it would be unfair to compare both Cities.
This really is case in point for the growing nationalism and anti-Birmingham tendencies being exhibited in the Black Country.

And that's a truly lame justification. To suggest that its unfair to compare the cities, but not unfair to claim one is awful with no justification what so ever.
Old August 25th, 2019, 12:08 PM   #4728
Newbridge_Wolf

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfsnow View Post
utterly backwards.

There was something about that on here a while back, itís a little misleading to suggest Wolverhampton residents donít want investment because of that poll, itís just that the proposals for a new station to serve Tettenhall really werenít appropriate due to where the current line runs, or even needed.

For a start, the line doesnít run through Tettenhall, youíd be looking at either Pendeford or Aldersley as the nearest station possibilities, and Aldersley is already crippled with traffic by local roads, a station would grind it to a standstill, whilst the Pendeford (Barnhurst Lane) possibility wouldnít really offer any advantage over driving into Wolverhampton given the local roads and distance. Neither site could have offered much parking or would be convenient for anyone other than the immediate surrounding residents.

The old line where Tettenhall station is was closed down years ago because it took longer to get into town than by bus, and that in the 1930ís. The busses in Wolverhampton, particularly the west side of the city, are reasonably efficient and quick compared to other parts of the West Midlands, so a metro route would be a vanity project that wouldnít offer much benefit. Other parts of the city and surrounding area would be far better served with a metro route (i54, Featherstone, Wombourne), or train station (Bushbury, Parkfields).

Nessyjord, Space_Cowby liked this post
Newbridge_Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:22 PM   #4729
karra97

Likes (Received): 514

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...after-16896986
karra97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 09:19 PM   #4730
Lucas98

Likes (Received): 344

With the delay of HS2 to 2028-2031 for the London to Birmingham line, I have been wondering about the knock on effect of this on the east side tram extension. Originally I remember seeing that the east side tram line was going to be delayed due to its integration with HS2 but now with HS2 delayed could they just build the tram line first and get it done before the actual construction of Curzon street? I don't know what would be possible and how it would be done but I am just wondering what will happen now with HS2 delayed, could it mean even longer for the east side tram extension or could it actually be a helpful delay in this respect?

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this!

jonfsnow liked this post
Lucas98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:58 PM   #4731
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2626

I doubt it will do anything because the issue is still HS2 allowing MMA onto the land. Even with the delay that issue is still there as HS2 set up exclusion zones and took control more that 5 years ago I think.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Lucas98 liked this post

Last edited by djay; September 18th, 2019 at 11:36 AM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 08:15 AM   #4732
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 549

So the extension to the airport won't be open until the early 2030s...
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 12:48 PM   #4733
astropa

Likes (Received): 517

They are going to have to do something to get the east side tram operational and fit in HS2 afterwards, the tram can’t wait another ten years. A tram connection to moor street station is needed now as well as the he link to Digbeth high street. I’d build this link now and then alter the tram route if needed once Curzon Street is operational which sounds like a decade away.

This country dithers and pithers around everything, HS2 and Brexit being prime examples. By the time we get to build most of our infrastructure it’s already out of date, can’t cope with the current demand, or no longer required.
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:58 PM   #4734
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7650

Hs2 may be delayed but that doesn’t necessarily mean the metro will have to wait till the opening date it’s likely hs2 can hand over part of the site for the metro works to carry on through

Lucas98, nigeman liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 07:20 PM   #4735
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 549

Its planned to run through and underneath the station, not going to be easy.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 07:30 PM   #4736
sefton66

The line may be delayed but not necessarily the station building it could be built beforehand with track work ongoing whilst the metro etc. Is extended through the site
Old September 18th, 2019, 07:56 PM   #4737
Brummigrant

Likes (Received): 476

Luckily it shouldn't be too long before we know either way about HS2. I would hope that Andy Street is really pressuring an outcome of the review to enable work to start on East Birmingham extension. Especially as it's coming up to election season!
Brummigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:21 AM   #4738
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas98 View Post
With the delay of HS2 to 2028-2031 for the London to Birmingham line, I have been wondering about the knock on effect of this on the east side tram extension. Originally I remember seeing that the east side tram line was going to be delayed due to its integration with HS2 but now with HS2 delayed could they just build the tram line first and get it done before the actual construction of Curzon street? I don't know what would be possible and how it would be done but I am just wondering what will happen now with HS2 delayed, could it mean even longer for the east side tram extension or could it actually be a helpful delay in this respect?

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this!

If there is going to be a significant delay in building the station, I would think it logical to allow MMA access to build the extension, then when HS2 needs to have the site back, replace the metro services with a Sprint service down to Digbeth. Then when the station is finished reassemble the short section under the station and reopen the line, logical to me, but I'm sure there's loads of reasons it can't happen..
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:19 AM   #4739
sefton66

Maybe the route could be diverted to allow the extension to carry on without being in hs2 way then add a spur/loop from its diversion to cover hs2 when able to do so?
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:40 PM   #4740
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1631

I was think why canít they start where the track will come after HS2 there no objections to that, they could be on the way through Digbeth quite easily, they can just connect the track once they ge the go ahead on the Hs2 side aleast then they arenít waisting anytime

nigeman liked this post
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
metro