LONDON | Projects & Construction - Page 1195 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2019, 10:22 PM   #23881
Architecture lover
Adriatic Consciousness

Likes (Received): 4175

When looking at those skyline photos above, I can't help but think of "One Canada Square" in Canary Wharf as of an architectural mistake.
No disrespect to the late architect César Pelli, but it just looks identical with the ones they have at Brookfield Place in New York.

Appearance? As if London was just another American town, and frankly I'm not fond of the idea, it's London for heaven's sake, it should look like London.

I prefer the towers at the City much much better, regardless of what some say. At least they give London, a Londonish flair.

This doesn't mean I dislike New York all of a sudden, it just means that each town should try and keep a unique flair, otherwise it would be such a bland boresome world, no one would like to travel anywhere, I mean what's the purpose if everything looks the same.

wakka12, Cyril, 486 liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2019, 11:07 AM   #23882
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10540

Canary Wharf was built by Canadian developers so they wanted it to have a North American styling.

Architects work across the world and in our globalised society this means cities and countries in the future will look ever the more similar.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 12:40 PM   #23883
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 9427

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawk_ View Post
It looks disrupting. Like it.

486 liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 02:58 PM   #23884
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
When looking at those skyline photos above, I can't help but think of "One Canada Square" in Canary Wharf as of an architectural mistake.
No disrespect to the late architect César Pelli, but it just looks identical with the ones they have at Brookfield Place in New York.

OCS and BP. They're developed and designed by the same people. I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

napowen, Black Cat liked this post
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:33 PM   #23885
PortoNuts

Balfour and Vinci JV signs £1bn HS2 station deal

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...-station-deal/

Quote:
The Balfour Beatty Vinci Systra joint venture has been formally been awarded the contract for HS2’s new £1bn Old Oak Common station.

The joint venture will be responsible for the final design, construction and commissioning of Old Oak Common station in North West London, delivering six underground platforms as well as up to eight platforms on the adjacent Great Western Main Line.

At construction peak the project will employ a direct management team of 140 and a wider workforce of approximately 2,500.
Old September 17th, 2019, 02:51 PM   #23886
Architecture lover
Adriatic Consciousness

Likes (Received): 4175

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Architects work across the world and in our globalised society this means cities and countries in the future will look ever the more similar.
I wouldn't say so. There are massive differences between the Neo-Futurism in Asia and Europe. There is a lot of regulation in Europe - usually done to preserve the massive value that's already in place.

In terms of towers, height doesn't seem to be so important of a priority, however quality is an inescapable feature in European projects.

One can even draw a comparison with the Gothic architecture, Christianity was considered as one of the first multinational corporations (certainly a form of European globalization in the middle ages), however that doesn't mean the Gothic architecture is the same everywhere.
Infact there are massive differences between the Gothic of England, France, Germany, the Benelux.

Bazukstan74 liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 12:41 AM   #23887
PortoNuts

Redrow to start two major London build to rent schemes

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...-rent-schemes/

Quote:
Housebuilder Redrow has teamed up with property investor Realstar to deliver two major build to rent schemes worth over £180m in London. Now Redrow will press ahead with plans for 513 new rental homes in Southall and Colindale which will be professionally managed under the UNCLE brand.

Located in the Burnt Oak and Colindale Opportunity area, Colindale Gardens is a £1.2bn new community, which is being created by Redrow on the site of the former Peel Centre Metropolitan Police training college.

More than 2,900 new homes will be delivered over the next ten years.

At Southall in West London, Redrow will also deliver 166 one, two- and three-bedroom apartments in a £64m deal with Realstar.

Old September 18th, 2019, 01:17 AM   #23888
PortoNuts

McLaren confirms £190m luxury London resi deal

https://www.constructionenquirer.com...don-resi-deal/

Quote:
McLaren has been awarded the construction contract for a £190m residential development in London’s Fitzrovia. The development will create 88 luxury apartments, 35,000 sq ft of commercial space and 15 affordable housing units and is scheduled for completion in 2021.

“Fitzrovia is becoming one of London’s most sought-after areas and 101 on Cleveland Street will be a stunning addition to its residential market”.

Demolition and substructure works on the island site are being carried out by Erith with main construction work due to start early next year.

AbidM, Fabinhosss, Munwon, Pedro Mendes liked this post
Old September 21st, 2019, 09:39 PM   #23889
lyonshall

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:

Appearance? As if London was just another American town, and frankly I'm not fond of the idea, it's London for heaven's sake, it should look like London.

I prefer the towers at the City much much better, regardless of what some say. At least they give London, a Londonish flair.

This doesn't mean I dislike New York all of a sudden, it just means that each town should try and keep a unique flair, otherwise it would be such a bland boresome world, no one would like to travel anywhere, I mean what's the purpose if everything looks the same.

The same has occurred to me. Modern skylines look increasingly similar. LA resembles Shanghai which resembles Dubai which resembles NYC. La Defense could be Toronto. Canary Wharf could be Chicago.

I’m not sure cities can escape this. It’s the nature of globalisation.

This, then, is the USP of London (outside docklands) it is itself and could be no other town. It’s not the most obviously beautiful skyline, if such a thing exists. But it’s great in terms of branding.
lyonshall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 05:12 PM   #23891
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5476

The Interlock by Bureau-de-Change Architects (Courtesy of Dezeen). Beautifully detailed façade treatment gives an added dimension to an otherwise narrow terrace infill (in Fitzrovia):

London (West End): A narrow infill in a terrace -The Interlock by Bureau-de-Change Architects
London (Fitzrovia): The Interlock
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 06:13 PM   #23892
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1711

Quote:
When looking at those skyline photos above, I can't help but think of "One Canada Square" in Canary Wharf as of an architectural mistake. No disrespect to the late architect César Pelli, but it just looks identical with the ones they have at Brookfield Place in New York.

Appearance? As if London was just another American town, and frankly I'm not fond of the idea, it's London for heaven's sake, it should look like London...
They are indeed similar, but I think London got the more refined version.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Black Cat, napowen liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #23893
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 1053

Had One Canada Square been constructed to original planned height which I understand was approx 1000ft/300m, it would have looked even better.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 02:00 AM   #23894
Dale

Likes (Received): 5758

I like Canada Square.

When I can’t see the top.
Dale está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #23895
gravesVpelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
They are indeed similar, but I think London got the more refined version.
Have to disagree. Although One Canada Square is fine and still arguably the best of London's skyscrapers, Pelli's Brookfield Place (formerly the World Financial Center) has four related skyscrapers in pristine granite, steel and glass, all with differing attics - truncated square pyramid, shallow dome, pyramid and ziggurat. It also has an amazing interior of hallways, atriums and galleried spaces and the barrel-vaulted Winter Garden is a spectacular space. The American Express tower, to which you refer as of similarity, does offer the same dimensions, almost, of One Canada, and, thereby, a signature of the 1980s Pelli design but it does provide a more varied, and, for me, interesting set of elevations.

Higgibaby liked this post
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 01:43 PM   #23896
PortoNuts

Council developer submits £400m Croydon town centre plan

https://www.constructionenquirer.com...n-centre-plan/

Quote:
Croydon Council’s in-house development company Brick by Brick has submitted plans for a five-building mixed-use development of 421 new homes above offices, shops and leisure space in the town centre.

Five buildings ranging from 7 to 29 storeys are proposed for the 0.8 hectare Fairfield Homes site next to the recently opened Fairfield Halls cultural venue.

The latest planning application builds on a 2017 planning consent, nearly doubling the number of homes from 218 and increasing the affordable housing from 18% to 20%.

VDB liked this post
Old September 25th, 2019, 03:54 PM   #23897
gravesVpelli

LSE Campus:

Image source Dezeen
Old September 25th, 2019, 06:29 PM   #23898
Dusty Hare

Likes (Received): 1377

As far as glass boxes go it's a good'un

Roquentin liked this post
Dusty Hare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 10:10 AM   #23899
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesVpelli View Post
Have to disagree. Although One Canada Square is fine and still arguably the best of London's skyscrapers, Pelli's Brookfield Place (formerly the World Financial Center) has four related skyscrapers in pristine granite, steel and glass, all with differing attics - truncated square pyramid, shallow dome, pyramid and ziggurat. It also has an amazing interior of hallways, atriums and galleried spaces and the barrel-vaulted Winter Garden is a spectacular space. The American Express tower, to which you refer as of similarity, does offer the same dimensions, almost, of One Canada, and, thereby, a signature of the 1980s Pelli design but it does provide a more varied, and, for me, interesting set of elevations.
Yeah but WFC's pomo setbacks are naff, the granite looks clunky, and all the towers are rather squat. Granted, they were built with the old WTC as context, so they didn't need to soar - the Twin Towers did that - but I still think they're inferior. 1 Canada Square's design details are more refined and elegant, and its brushed steel cladding is lovely.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 01:05 PM   #23900
PortoNuts

Green light for ISG’s £280m London neurology centre job

https://www.constructionenquirer.com...gy-centre-job/

Quote:
University College London has got the green light to redevelop the Eastman Dental Hospital in the capital into a world-leading hub for dementia and neurological disease research.

Contractor ISG is lined-up for the £280m programme of capital works needed to transform the dental hospital site at 256 Gray’s Inn Road.

The work is scheduled to be completed late in 2023 and will be ready for occupation in early 2024.

Advertisement

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom